Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2013, 01:53   #12736
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingheaven View Post
A Volkswagen Vento owner crashed at 180 kmph into a trailer. Fortunately, both the occupants survived...

1. Eye-witnesses + the toll bridge cameras recorded the car's speed to be 180 kph. Not that people are saying that by looking at the stuck speedo.
Glad to know that the occupants survived.

However, I'd still take that Eye-witnesses + toll bridge cameras part with a pinch of salt. It's not possible to estimate the speed just by watching a car pass by. And, the cameras on a toll booth, AFAIK, are not speed cameras. They capture only the picture of the vehicle or sometimes just the lower portion, focussed on the number-plate. Well, that's my PoV. Peace
silversteed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2013, 09:01   #12737
Team-BHP Support

180 km/h - they would be dead, more like 80
ajmat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th February 2013, 09:05   #12738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
It's not possible to estimate the speed just by watching a car pass by. And, the cameras on a toll booth, AFAIK, are not speed cameras. They capture only the picture of the vehicle or sometimes just the lower portion, focussed on the number-plate. Well, that's my PoV. Peace
The cameras i meant are not the toll bridge cameras, but specific speed cameras installed around half a km away from the toll gates. The road is itself known as the "toll bridge road", not that the cameras were located at the toll gates itself. Hence i used the term "toll bridge cams" and you got confused. I have been fined 2 times for driving just 3 kph above speed limit on that road.

Anyway, i am only repeating what the newspapers are saying.
Old 15th February 2013, 09:50   #12739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Eyewitnesses said that the driver, on seeing the divider braked fully, BUT was also able to steer the vehicle. Though a trailer came into his path is another matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Quote:
The cameras i meant are not the toll bridge cameras, but specific speed cameras installed around half a km away from the toll gates.
Makes sense now. The car might have been travelling at 180 before the driver braked. News article confirms heavy braking and the chances are that they got the car back to saner speeds by the time it hit the trailer. It would have been a different story if the car clipped the divider at those speeds!

If the occupants survived, chances are speed would have been in the 50-60 range at the time of collision. Air bags are designed to protect occupants upto 50 kmph crashes - that is the speed during EURO NCAP crash tests.

I just hope people don't get into the false illusion that ABS and airbags would protect you at 180 kmph reading this news article. This would be an incentive for a lot of those immature, just-turned-18 kids to try these insane speeds.
zenren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2013, 10:18   #12740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Makes sense now. The car might have been travelling at 180 before the driver braked. News article confirms heavy braking and the chances are that they got the car back to saner speeds by the time it hit the trailer. It would have been a different story if the car clipped the divider at those speeds!

If the occupants survived, chances are speed would have been in the 50-60 range at the time of collision.
Fully agree. The driver braked heavily, but steered the car too. So the impact with the trailer was not more than 70 or 80 kph. But the point is, which sane person would even think of doing that speed, that too in jamshedpur. When you shouldn't do that in the south, where are the roads are good enough, how can you think of it here? I mean, i think before driving at 60 kph due to the roads and motorists here, and this guy does 180. Shameful.
Old 15th February 2013, 11:23   #12741
Team-BHP Support

I saw this Alto on the Service Road of the Hyderabad ORR. It was close to the Gachibowli Toll Gate.

Badly smashed up but I could not find any skid marks or damage to the road.
Some blood stains on the passenger seat.

No additional information.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-orr.jpg

Last edited by bblost : 15th February 2013 at 11:32.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2013, 11:31   #12742
BHPian

Saw an accident today morning on Eastern Express Highway (towards Thane) near the Kanjurmarg Jn. A Scorpio had toppled over and its roof was smashed. Not sure abt the occupants, though it seemed serious.
There were lots of traffic constables and RTO officers, still heavy traffic congestion.
Couldn't take any snaps though.
Old 15th February 2013, 11:40   #12743
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I saw this Alto on the Service Road of the Hyderabad ORR. It was close to the Gachibowli Toll Gate.

Badly smashed up but I could not find any skid marks or damage to the road.
Some blood stains on the passenger seat.

No additional information.

Attachment 1051201
It could be that he banged in to a parked truck or a bigger vehicle even before braking.
Old 15th February 2013, 12:20   #12744
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Precisely! In a crash at 180kmph, the passenger cabin would not be able to maintain its integrity. No airbags-seatbelts would be able to save. Grave injuries resulting into lifelong disability (if not death) are near certainty.

Last edited by SDP : 15th February 2013 at 12:22.
Old 15th February 2013, 13:14   #12745
BHPian

As SujAce rightly said there was a big accident happened on eastern express highway towards Mulund at 10:20 am. It happened in front of me. I have never seen any Scorpio toppled so far and so bad.
I was on my way to office and turned from JVLR for eastern express highway. Just before the Foot Over Bridge (after taking left for Mulund from JVLR). Scorpio was in extreme left lane. Scorpio was mere 300-400 meters away from my car. When we saw all of a sudden this Scorpio toppled, we immediately stopped and helped them came out of car. By god’s grace the driver and family survived, let me mention here, driver and the members in car was not wearing Seat Belt. There were 4 people including one old lady.
When we asked driver about the incident, he told us that to save bike rider he abruptly steered resulting the toppled car. Scorpio must have dragged around 100-200 meters. My first impression was because of tyre burst the Scorpio must have toppled but after inspecting the tyres I was sure that it has not happened cause of tyres. Tyres were indeed new.
One of the weirdest thing, some of the people stopped the passing by Ambulance and asked the driver who was complaining giddiness and mild bleeding from head and fingers to go to hospital. His mom (I feel she maybe his mom) refused to send him to hospital instead she took one book (maybe Quran, cause lady was wearing burkha) and started reading. When asked she said “Jaane do beta Khuda dekh lekha, hum logon ko hospital nahin jaana hain” (leave it son god will look after us, we don’t want to go to hospital). We all people tried to convince her, but in vain. We all told her that God only send us to look after you, and he sent Ambulance for you. But lady was very stern. After arrival of traffic police we started for office.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20130215_102426.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20130215_102431.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20130215_102444.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20130215_102451.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20130215_102456.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20130215_102506.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20130215_102524.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20130215_102533.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20130215_102544.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20130215_102548.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20130215_102556.jpg  

Achilless is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2013, 13:42   #12746
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilless View Post
As SujAce rightly said there was a big accident happened on eastern express highway towards Mulund at 10:20 am. It happened in front of me. I have never seen any Scorpio toppled so far and so bad.
I was on my way to office and turned from JVLR for eastern express highway. Just before the Foot Over Bridge (after taking left for Mulund from JVLR). Scorpio was in extreme left lane. Scorpio was mere 300-400 meters away from my car. When we saw all of a sudden this Scorpio toppled, we immediately stopped and helped them came out of car. By god’s grace the driver and family survived, let me mention here, driver and the members in car was not wearing Seat Belt. There were 4 people including one old lady.
When we asked driver about the incident, he told us that to save bike rider he abruptly steered resulting the toppled car. Scorpio must have dragged around 100-200 meters. ...
Achilless, really nice of you to stop and help!
Thanks for sharing the pics. Any idea what speed the Scorpio was doing?
Lucky that there was no collateral damage.
Old 15th February 2013, 14:29   #12747
Senior - BHPian

A Huyndai Verna dragged into the ear of a stationary Punjab Roadways bus near Kashmere Gate (ISBT) Terminal in Delhi. Link ToI artice:

http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Defau...&ViewMode=HTML

The accident left two males (brothers) dead & their cousin (sister) grievously injured. It appears that the accident, which happened at 2.30 am on 14th Feb, was caused due to the bus stopping to pick/ drop passengers, & the Verna driver could not foresee & stop in time.

May the deceased Rest-in-Peace.

In context of the above accident the police have charged the Roadways bus driver for negligent driving, however, I feel it was the contrary. Generally, interstate buses alight passengers outside ISBT (at their request) on the opposite side of the road next to ISBT's exit point (the passengers can get Autos, DTC buses from this point). It appears that the bus might have already been alighting passengers, when the super-fast Verna (trying some fast maneuver to overtake another vehicle from left side) would have hit the bus. However, this is my opinion, & need not be completely true.
Old 15th February 2013, 14:35   #12748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Achilless, really nice of you to stop and help!
Thanks for sharing the pics. Any idea what speed the Scorpio was doing?
Lucky that there was no collateral damage.
SDP, Thanks for your kind words. I feel when I am sharing road with others it becomes my utmost DUTY to help others in case of any disaster. Also when I drive with the TBHP sticker on my car which means I have to be more responsible in such tragic.
Anyways prima facie I feel that Scorpio was above 130km/hr. cause when it toppled it must have dragged around 100-200 meters, or maybe more. When we asked driver what was the speed when vehicle toppled? He told us that he was at 70-80km/hr. This is impossible to believe.

One question is hitting me is why that lady was so reluctant, not take those people (who was in car with her and bleeding) to hospital?

Last edited by Achilless : 15th February 2013 at 14:38.
Achilless is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2013, 15:07   #12749
BHPian

Saw an accident today morning on the Hyderabad-Warangal highway near the Central power research institute after the Uppal Bus depot. It was a white Indica Vista. It must have happened around an hour before I saw it as police had just about succeded in clearing people who had gathered to watch. Also, seems the occupants were already taken away in an ambulance. By the look of it, there was heavy damage to the passenger side.No other info as of now. Could not take snaps as I was driving and was in a little hurry to reach work.

Last edited by racer_ash : 15th February 2013 at 15:08. Reason: added info
Old 15th February 2013, 16:02   #12750
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

Two people were killed in Bandra on wednesday, when a Honda Accord, driving in wrong direction, lost control of the car & rammed into couple of vehicles.

Full story here: http://www.mumbaimirror.com/article/...%E2%80%99.html

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2.jpg

A couple Mr. & Mrs. Sood, were about to get out of their car & the Accord passed very close to their car & took its rear view mirror. When they approached Bandra police station to lodge a complaint, they were asked to go to Khar police station. I wonder will this be really true (person asked to approach another police station), as I have always seen this in movies of 80's & 90's.

Thanks,

Last edited by Jignesh : 15th February 2013 at 16:03. Reason: Information added

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks