Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2013, 18:35   #12751
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
A couple Mr. & Mrs. Sood, were about to get out of their car & the Accord passed very close to their car & took its rear view mirror. When they approached Bandra police station to lodge a complaint, they were asked to go to Khar police station. I wonder will this be really true (person asked to approach another police station), as I have always seen this in movies of 80's & 90's.

Thanks,
Which jurisdiction the incident took place plays a role in which station needs to file the FIR. If it was in the area under Khar police station jurisdiction, I don't think there is anything wrong in what the police said. My friend had a similar experience when his mobile got stolen. He went to the police station near his house but the SI asked him to go to the police station under whom the incident took place as they are the ones to write the FIR.
Old 15th February 2013, 18:49   #12752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
When they approached Bandra police station to lodge a complaint, they were asked to go to Khar police station. I wonder will this be really true (person asked to approach another police station), as I have always seen this in movies of 80's & 90's.

Thanks,

yeah usually people are asked to go to some other police station if the area where the crime has occurred doesn't fall in that area's jurisdiction.
all police stations have a particular area under their jurisdiction so here it might be the case that this road in bandra, where the accident happened, comes under khar police's jurisdiction. hence bandra police can't register a complaint here.
Old 16th February 2013, 06:40   #12753
MK3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Due to this, I never take the indicators from the car in front for granted and gets cautious for both possibilities. Same is the case whenever I put the right indicator and turn right- always try to be watchful for that 1% who might interpret it as overtaking signal.

If this is accepted practice in other parts of the country as well, please pitch in so that everyone can be aware of how to interpret the signals from fellow road users. Also, if someone knows the rationale behind this signalling, please throw some light.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun Venugopal View Post
I have also seen this sort of a indicating sometimes, have to admit never understood the logic. This is a dangerous trend especially when speeds are increasing. Maybe it is time to have a 'Proper Driving Signals' thread. In the absence of a proper Highway Code I guess that's the way to go...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizay View Post
+1. Also, I have seen this as a common practice of the water tankers when they water the plants in the median. They just stick to right most lane and switch on their left indicator. (meaning you can overtake from left). but highly confusing when you see the same in the middle of highway when you are doing 80+ speeds.
Indicators should always be used to indicate where we(driver) intend to take the car to, not for any other purposes. We should not add to the confusion by following such unconventional irrational acts. Regarding the water tankers at the median, they might be using it only for lack of hazard lights or not knowing how to operate them. Their intention i feel is to indicate their vehicle's presence to the on-coming vehicles and nothing more.

I have seen in my highway driving some people traveling on fast lane using right indicator to signal that they intend to stay in the same lane and the vehicle behind can overtake from left. Though this is logical, its not a 100% trustable. There is a possibility that the driver might have switched on the wrong indicator or switched it on by mistake unknowingly.

So, best would be to follow the conventional system of using indicators to indicate where we intend to take the car to. And like mentioned earlier, we should be watchful when trying to overtake.

Last edited by moralfibre : 18th February 2013 at 11:19. Reason: Larqe post quoted
Old 17th February 2013, 11:56   #12754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
In context of the above accident the police have charged the Roadways bus driver for negligent driving, however, I feel it was the contrary. Generally, interstate buses alight passengers outside ISBT (at their request) on the opposite side of the road next to ISBT's exit point (the passengers can get Autos, DTC buses from this point). It appears that the bus might have already been alighting passengers, when the super-fast Verna (trying some fast maneuver to overtake another vehicle from left side) would have hit the bus. However, this is my opinion, & need not be completely true.
It is illegal to stop buses to alight passengers at this place. The buses are supposed to stop inside the ISBT and there is a lane dedicated for it at the entrance point. There is a foot overbridge for passengers to go to the other side. I think the police are right in booking the bus driver, although I am not endorsing the fact that the verna driver was right at driving at speeds at which he could not brake in time.
damanshaheed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2013, 23:00   #12755
BHPian

The following information is sourced from a leading Malayalam newspaper "Mathrubhumi" which, carried an article on Sunday's (17th Feb 2013) weekend page on road accidents in Kerala. It was shocking to read the following

Number of deaths due to road accidents in Kerala alone
~4500 (2012), ~4145 (2011) and ~3950 (2010)

Number of injured in road accidents
~ 42,000 (2012), ~41,379 (2011), ~41,473 (2010)

The report mentions that the numbers are sourced from Government and it seems to be one of the highest rates in India. The report also mentions, for the purpose of comparison, the casualties from the two-month long Kargil war, when 527 soldiers were killed and 1363 injured and raise the question, are our roads battlegrounds?

Alarming as it is, this had me thinking
1. Are we a greater enemy of the state?
2. The next time I take my vehicle out, will I be a victim or even worse, a murderer?

I don't see any decrease in those numbers, unless we step up ourselves to embrace good road manners. I need to be responsible, when I drive.

@Mods: I hope I have put it in the right thread.
beez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 00:02   #12756
BHPian

Anybody witnessed the multi car mashup byTruck on BLR-Hassan route. Atleast 4 killed ? Had a relative pass the scene ~30 mins the accident, the bodies were not cleared then.
Old 18th February 2013, 10:45   #12757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
yeah usually people are asked to go to some other police station if the area where the crime has occurred doesn't fall in that area's jurisdiction.
all police stations have a particular area under their jurisdiction ...

A cell phone call to a centralised call centre should theoretically give the centralised call centre the GPS co-ordinates of the person making the call from the accident spot. I wish the authorities incorporate an automatic call forwarding system to the concerned station, so that there can be absolutely no confusion in this regard. Just needs a little bit of data mapping work, which might already be in place, I guess.

If only there is a will towards this direction, the response time of the agencies concerned can be much quicker.
Old 18th February 2013, 11:07   #12758
BHPian

Saw a horrible accident on NH4, around 60km before Hubli on Friday morning at around 3:30 am. A Trax had flipped and landed upside down on the railings on the left and another Trax (not sure) also flipped was on the extreme right lane. One of them was carrying tomatoes and the NH was full of crushed/ mashed tomatoes. We were told that the road would not clear up until morning but soon enough everyone started to move!
One of the truck drivers said that both of them were racing against each other which lead to coming close and they flipped. Not sure of what happened to occupants.
Old 18th February 2013, 13:04   #12759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
A cell phone call to a centralised call centre should theoretically give the centralised call centre the GPS co-ordinates of the person making the call from the accident spot. I wish the authorities incorporate an automatic call forwarding system to the concerned station, so that there can be absolutely no confusion in this regard. Just needs a little bit of data mapping work, which might already be in place, I guess.
A much lower hanging fruit would be to make it the professional responsibility of the in-charge of EVERY police station (be it traffic, crime, railway, central, state...) to accept each and every complaint made to him/her and the forward it to the attention of the officer whose jurisdiction it might be.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 13:10   #12760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownerofazkaban View Post
Anybody witnessed the multi car mashup byTruck on BLR-Hassan route. Atleast 4 killed ? Had a relative pass the scene ~30 mins the accident, the bodies were not cleared then.
I did see the traffic block from quite a distance and then took an alternate route and bypassed the accident spot. Never knew what happened till I read the papers today
Old 18th February 2013, 13:19   #12761
BHPian

Cars Involved: Silver Swift & Blue Polo

T collision with Polo's side and Swift's bonnet appeared to be mashed up.

Couldn't take pics as I was in hurry and no appeared to have sustained serious injuries (gents were arguing..!).
Old 18th February 2013, 13:52   #12762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babu.sundaram View Post

Cars Involved: Silver Swift & Blue Polo

T collision with Polo's side and Swift's bonnet appeared to be mashed up.

Couldn't take pics as I was in hurry and no appeared to have sustained serious injuries (gents were arguing..!).
Whoa whoa whoa! Where exactly in Chikka Banaswadi did this happen? What time?
Old 18th February 2013, 15:04   #12763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Whoa whoa whoa! Where exactly in Chikka Banaswadi did this happen? What time?
Near the BP pump on the Chikka Banaswadi road, ~11AM today!.
Old 18th February 2013, 15:25   #12764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babu.sundaram View Post
Near the BP pump on the Chikka Banaswadi road, ~11AM today!.
now i'm confused there is one BP pump at Kasturinagar and the other one i know is on the Dodda Banaswadi road, almost at the Ramamurthynagar signal. the one opposite the Fire Station is a HP pump.

in other news, saw this three-car pile up (WagonR < Brio < Indigo) on the BETL after the lay bye; because of this the traffic was held up almost till the starting ramp (Silkboard side). the Brio got sandwiched between the WagonR and the Indigo and suffered the most damage from what i could see. the rear glass was completely gone and the bumper kind bent inwards:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-_mg_0725.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-_mg_0726.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-_mg_0727.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-_mg_0728.jpg

Last edited by IronH4WK : 18th February 2013 at 15:41.
Old 19th February 2013, 05:29   #12765
BHPian

A few pics from an accident I happened to pass by at NH-49 some time back. An esteem crashed with a KSRTC bus while overtaking another vehicle. The driver was drunk, as per information from the locals. The surprise is that both the occupants went home by another bus(they were uninjured!!). The front half is intact, as you see.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc00504.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc00505.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc00506.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc00502.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc00507.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc00508.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc00509.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc00510.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc00511.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc00512.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc00514.jpg
Joe M is offline   (1) Thanks