Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2013, 17:12   #12826
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Hello All,

One more bad news from Mumbai:
A 45-year-old pedestrian was killed when a dumper driver lost control of his vehicle on the Western Express Highway and rammed into a divider where the victim was waiting to cross the road.

After knocking him down, the dumper turned around and hit three cars, injuring the passengers.

Full article here:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/18772073.cms

During recent times, number of accidents involving dumpers are observed. In this case the dumper driver was a 24 year old & fled the accident spot.

Can we not do something to make our roads safer? How long poor pedestrians will be killed by careless drivers?

Thanks,
Old 3rd March 2013, 19:53   #12827
Senior - BHPian

In 18 years of Driving across the country met with my first Bad crash. Brake less 10 Wheel Tipper banged me bad and hard. Thankfully i was alone in the car and nobody around was hurt. It all started after crossing the Toll post, there was a religious procession moving along the road side. As a result traffic was moving with a slow pace, add to that some stray gau matas (cows) were running here and there. Truck in front of me braked hard to avoid one of them, i too slowed down the pace. In the meanwhile uncontrolled 10 wheeled Tipper loaded with boulders, banged me hard. After agonizing 2 hours wait owner turned up and offered to share the repairing costs apart from whatever insurance company covers. As a precaution filed a Kaccha report with the cops and kept it as back up (if something goes wrong).
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imag0587.jpg  

Old 3rd March 2013, 22:16   #12828
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Warwithwheels, Tejas - This is a 2 yr (probably more) old clip.
AutoIndian, Ragul - Whatever it was, an old incident, forget it.

That's a scary hit ! Good that it didn't push you along, things could have been worse. I have been in many sudden braking situations, but within city traffic limits and thankfully no one has banged me from behind yet !!
But must say, some drivers are very inattentive leading to sudden braking in front of us. People have suddenly braked in front of me, because they just realised that they had forgotten to take a left turn !!
Yep it was scary, As the thing banged me, dunno how i accelerated and moved towards the road side. Tipper driver told me that he tried to brake hard hard, but as the vehicle was loaded couldnt really brake hard. I thank my gods that i was in a sedan, dunno what have the situation if it would have been a hatchback.
Old 3rd March 2013, 23:42   #12829
BHPian

Must have taken real skills to get the car in that position.
Details: Unknown
Source: FB
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-226857_504896389556511_1921368243_n.jpg  

Tejas Ingle is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th March 2013, 00:01   #12830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas Ingle View Post
This is no skill job, the car has simply fallen from the lift while
servicing. In a way skilfull service centre
Old 4th March 2013, 11:16   #12831
Senior - BHPian

Another accident where the killer truck was on wrong lane and MURDERED 11 kids. This calls for need of stricter law against driving in the wrong side of the road. Such killers must be charged with mass murder.
http://zeenews.india.com/news/punjab...ad_832796.html
Old 4th March 2013, 11:47   #12832
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

It cannot be worst than this peice of news:

11 school children killed in Jalandhar when their school bus collided with a truck.

News article here: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/18787420.cms?

My heart goes out to parents of these children. They would never thought in their wildest dreams that they will have collect dead of the child who went to school happily sometime back.

Thanks,
Old 4th March 2013, 13:55   #12833
Senior - BHPian

^ I was watching this news flashing on TV in the morning, really sad! Most of the times, I'm of an opinion that we should start setting good examples, lead the next generations and things will be better for sure in about couple of generations, but here it sounds too costly. We definitely need better law enforcement policies.
Old 4th March 2013, 16:05   #12834
BHPian

Today my car (Figo) was hit by a car from behind and a cascading effect of another 3 cars. It happened in Maraimalai Nagar in GST Road, Chennai. There is a traffic congestion started building up after the road junction and i was at moderate speed (around 60 KM). I stopped behind a Tata Ace and couple bus/cars stopped before the Tata Ace.

Below is the sequence of action and also attached the picture.

1. A Ford Fiesta (Red one in the pic) couldn't stop in time and hit mine
2. A Innova behind the Fiesta and stopped without hitting
3. A new Swift behind Innova and stopped without hitting
4. Now came a speeding Xylo hits the Swift and then the swift hits the Innova.

Swift got maximum damage and both Innova and Xylo had bull's bar and very minimal damage to them.

I didin't opt for filing the case or pressing for getting the money from Fiesta driver. Got the accident report from the police station. A total of 2 hours spent in the scene. Now i need to give the car for repair and i hope i need to spend couple of thousand apart from Insurance claim. Though the fault is with the Fiesta driver (it is definitely not a emergency breaking level for me), i don't want to spend time in arguments etc (may be i am stupid :()

The swift owner want damage from xylo and doing more formalities in police station and talking to the xylo owner etc.

In general, my question is, if want to get damage from the other car owner, and if he is not agreeing, what is the legal process and overhead i need to go through? Tomorrow i could face similar situation and i may be in receiving end also. Knowing this will help much better.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-car-accident-4mar2013.jpg  

Old 4th March 2013, 16:38   #12835
BHPian

Sad about the mishap mate, wish your ride a full & speedy recovery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
... if want to get damage from the other car owner, and if he is not agreeing, what is the legal process and overhead i need to go through?...
One will need to file the FIR with the concerned police station. Also make sure to collect as much evidence (pictures of accident, possible witnesses) in your support as possible when the mishap happens. Overheads would be:

1. Waste of time (unless you got CONTACTS): Okay, I am being cynical but it's not far from truth.
2. Impounding of vehicles involved: Depends on the severity.
3. Harassment from police/court/insurance officials.

I am not sure about this, but I guess it's the prerogative of the victim's insurance company to file a case and claim third party costs from the other parties insurance. This cost is then reimbursed to the victim. I might be blundering though!

Last edited by lordofgondor : 4th March 2013 at 16:40.
lordofgondor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2013, 17:28   #12836
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Took even more skill to drop the car like that and do so little visible damage. I can see the door has a nice scrape and the front bumper seems to have taken some impact with the bonnet possibly getting pushed up a bit, but all seems easily repairable. Might be some glass from the light/indicator near where the wheel is resting on he ground.

Obviously fell off the ramp, but wondering how they managed that. Did the right side ramp fail or something

Last edited by pganapathy : 4th March 2013 at 17:45.
Old 4th March 2013, 20:29   #12837
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That looks like an Thai Honda service station. The car is previous gen Jazz/Fit.
Old 4th March 2013, 22:09   #12838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
That looks like an Thai Honda service station. The car is previous gen Jazz/Fit.

Yeah, you're right. It doesn't look a service station in India and it surely is a previous gen Jazz which was not sold in India.
Old 4th March 2013, 23:44   #12839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
Took even more skill to drop the car like that and do so little visible damage. I can see the door has a nice scrape and the front bumper seems to have taken some impact with the bonnet possibly getting pushed up a bit, but all seems easily repairable. Might be some glass from the light/indicator near where the wheel is resting on he ground.

Obviously fell off the ramp, but wondering how they managed that. Did the right side ramp fail or something
It is kind of impossible for the lift to fail [when you lift a car on it]. It is also impossible for the car to drop from there. The only possibility is that the lift arms were not adjusted properly below the car. So it slipped off [at the front left].
Yeah, the damage is minimal for such a fall. May be it got somewhat balanced on the front right and rear left arm and went down rather slowly. The glass must be the left window glass.

The school bus accident is unfortunate. I cannot imagine the state of the families of the children. May the souls rest in peace and the families have strength to bear the loss.
This accident brings back memories of a similar one when a bus carrying kids to picnic was hit by a speeding train many years ago near Pune. It happened at an unmanned level crossing. I happened to visit the place recently. A fly-over is built there now.
Old 5th March 2013, 11:14   #12840
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

Another accident on Mumbai Pune Expressway - This time a Sumo driver dozed off at 3 am & crashed into a heavy vehicle. This accident leaves 7 people dead, most of them were returning from a friend's wedding.

There were 3 passengers in the car who took lift on the way & two of them have paid with their life.

The driver was already drowsy while driving & the passengers requested him to take a halt, but he refused. Luckily, he has survived in this accident.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-untitled.jpg

Thanks,

Last edited by Jignesh : 5th March 2013 at 11:16.

Most Viewed