Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2013, 14:51   #12886
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahnawaz View Post
It was a curve(not a very steep one), we were doing 100 Kmph. The moment we exited the tunnel the car drfited/skidded towards left from rear I controlled the car but after say travelling 5 m in straight line again skidded but now took a full 180 degree spin, then a somersault and then gone to the nallah....

But waggy is highly unstable car not at all meant for high speed driving.
Sorry to say this, but you must drive within the limits of your car. Doing 100 kph on a Santro / WagonR / i10 or any other vehicle with a high centre of gravity on a ghat section is asking for trouble. The above hatchbacks are esentially city runabouts and when you take them out of a highway, the fact that this is no sedan should always be there at the back of your mind. Anyways good that all were belted up and further damage was averted. Take care.
Old 13th March 2013, 15:07   #12887
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It was a curve(not a very steep one), we were doing 100 Kmph. The moment we exited the tunnel the car drfited/skidded towards left from rear I controlled the car but after say travelling 5 m in straight line again skidded but now took a full 180 degree spin, then a somersault and then gone to the nallah....
Quote:
Originally Posted by heman_369 View Post
This specific spot right after the katraj tunnel on the NH4 is an accident prone spot. Many fatal accidents have occurred here. Fortunately the luck was on your side. Drive safe.
Please no offense meant to you, but i travel this road atleast 2 times a month, and i can confidently say that trying to exit the narrow tunnel @ 100kmph and that too in a Wagon R is suicidal.

I have personally seen so many accidents at this particular point. People coming from kolhapur and satara etc who are in highway mood and driving at high speeds are taken by surprise by this sudden curve and cannot judge the correct speed that would be comfortable to take this curve.

I have once met the IRB officials and also written a letter to PWD to provide a proper banking on this curve and also put strong railings that will contain the cars from flying off. I also told them to put rummble stips that will slow down the drivers. But i guess they threw my letter in dustbin.
amit_mechengg is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th March 2013, 14:01   #12888
BHPian

Quote:
Mod team note: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote (Quote+) OR EDIT once the post is approved. Thanks

It was a curve(not a very steep one), we were doing 100 Kmph. The moment we exited the tunnel the car drfited/skidded towards left from rear
Thanks Shahnawaz for shring your experience. I think this will serve a warning to all highway users on the forum.

The tall boy design of Wagon R offers ample head room and ease of ingress / egress. But, the same design renders it susceptible to instability on corners. Drivers of such car need to be extra careful on highway turns.

Authorities partly share the blame for designing a sharp turn at the exit of the tunnel.
Old 16th March 2013, 15:50   #12889
Team-BHP Support

A couple of spottings from a few months ago on the Eastern Express Highway in Mumbai
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img00677201207262053-large.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img01464201212211106-large.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img01465201212211106-large.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img01466201212211107-large.jpg  

Old 18th March 2013, 12:04   #12890
Senior - BHPian

One more moron less on the streets.
The 16yr old moron still is a threat to the road users when he turns 18.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/19027041.cms
Old 18th March 2013, 12:27   #12891
BHPian

Quote:
Lucky escape indeed. Is this the Khambatki ghat tunnel which you talking about? If that is the case, it has indeed a very sharp left turn after exiting the tunnel. I wonder who designed it in such a way. I have seen a Figo loosing control and ramming straight onto mountain wall .
Old 18th March 2013, 16:35   #12892
Senior - BHPian

Patchyboy shared these pics today of a fire engulfing a parking lot of company cabs somewhere on wind tunnel road, no details of the damage though

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image2081644973.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image3431184698.jpg

Anybody else having more information of this incident?
Lukeskywalker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2013, 16:49   #12893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
A couple of spottings from a few months ago on the Eastern Express Highway in Mumbai

Any idea what happened to the Indigo? It looks like something heavy has fallen on the front windshield area of the car and crushed that part. The steering wheel is completely twisted. The rear half (including the rear door glass) is intact.

Last edited by manson : 18th March 2013 at 17:15.
Old 18th March 2013, 17:14   #12894
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeev1 View Post
Any idea what happened to the Indigo? It looks like something heavy has fallen on the front windshield area of the car and crushed that part. The steering wheel is completely twisted. The rear half (including the rear door glass) is intact.
No idea really. I spotted this car stranded along the Eastern Express Highway on a weekday morning, and there was surprisingly no crowd around it either. Considering the angle of nose dive and the high volume of heavy vehicles on this road, it would be fair to assume that the Indigo went into a truck / tempo.

Last edited by manson : 18th March 2013 at 17:16.
Old 19th March 2013, 09:36   #12895
BHPian

This accident sent a shiver down the spine! 37 dead in a bus accident. The bus was traveling from Goa to Mumbai. Probe is on whether the driver (who had responsibility of all those lives) was drunk.

Planning to do the same route in a sleeper bus 10 days later

The web link - http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/37...-lateststories
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-goa-bus-accident.jpg  

Gotham_City is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2013, 09:46   #12896
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Anybody else having more information of this incident?
This has been reported in today's newspapers.
Twenty-three maxi-cabs and mini-vans were gutted in the garage of a leading cab service operator in Murugeshpalya, off Old Airport Road, on Monday afternoon. The garage belonged to Infant's Travels, a prominent cab service provider in the city. Over 40 vehicles phased out by the company had been parked in the garage at the time of the fire.

Source: TOI, Epaper, link: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/19050774.cms
Old 19th March 2013, 10:34   #12897
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Twenty-three maxi-cabs and mini-vans were gutted in the garage of a leading cab service operator in Murugeshpalya, off Old Airport Road, on Monday afternoon. The garage belonged to Infant's Travels, a prominent cab service provider in the city. Over 40 vehicles phased out by the company had been parked in the garage at the time of the fire.
Few pictures from newspapers:
Name:  pvec19Cabfire08.gif
Views: 3780
Size:  129.2 KB
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-18bg_pg2_fire_1399358f.jpg
Old 19th March 2013, 11:10   #12898
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Over 40 vehicles phased out by the company
For a moment I was happy that there will be 40 less of these rashly driven "Infant" vehicles on the road. But then these were already phased out.
download2live is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th March 2013, 11:16   #12899
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

One more accident on deadly Mumbai - Goa highway: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/19057676.cms

Almost 20 people are killed when a private luxury bus fell into a river in Ratnagiri early morning today.

The bus fell into Jagbudi river near Khed in Ratnagiri at 3:30 am in morning.

Thaks,
Old 19th March 2013, 12:54   #12900
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello,

One more accident on deadly Mumbai - Goa highway: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/19057676.cms

Almost 20 people are killed when a private luxury bus fell into a river in Ratnagiri early morning today.

The bus fell into Jagbudi river near Khed in Ratnagiri at 3:30 am in morning.

Thaks,
Most unsafe NH in India, as per the minister more than 800 accidents over the past one year on this road alone!!!
Its always preferable to go from Mumbai to Goa by air, or by train or worse case via NH4 till Kolhapur than a short distance on NH17 that too during the day.
Night drive on this killer road is committing suicide.

When will the govt four lane this highway and cut the hills to reduce ghats?

Most Viewed