Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2013, 12:50   #12991
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Hello,

A 18 Year old teenager Neha Sonawane, 18 years was killed in bike accident on Palm Beach Road, Vashi, New Mumbai.

Neha was being dropped home by he friend at 9 pm in late evening when the two wheeler skid. Her friend is book for rash driving & released on bail.

Neha was daughter of Best Driver & died before she was bought to hospital.

My heart goes out for parents of this 18 year old daughter whose world has crashed after this accident.

Full Article here: [COLOR=#0000ff]http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/mumbai/Teen-killed-in-bike-mishap-on-Palm-Beach-Road/articleshow/19408719.cms[/COLOR]

Thanks,

Last edited by Jignesh : 6th April 2013 at 12:51.
Old 6th April 2013, 13:22   #12992
BHPian

A truck with "UB Group produce" had fallen to the left on Hassan byepass. I could not take any pics as the stretch was really bad.

Also spotted this on NH48 (between Solur and Kunigal). The Swift was returning to Bangalore on the 2nd/3rd night and rear ended a truck (not sure whether it was parked or moving). Driver killed on the spot and the co passenger has survived.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img00401201304051732.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img00403201304051735.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img00404201304051736.jpg  

Old 6th April 2013, 22:06   #12993
BHPian

Spotted this crashed container truck this evening on ICT Road enroute to kalamassery.

Not sure how the driver achieved this.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130406_220541.png
Views: 5618
Size:  567.0 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20130406_220604.png
Views: 5488
Size:  497.8 KB
Old 7th April 2013, 14:41   #12994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binzone View Post
Spotted this crashed container truck this evening on ICT Road enroute to kalamassery.

Not sure how the driver achieved this.
It must have toppled 360 degrees...
Old 7th April 2013, 18:54   #12995
BHPian

Reports of another accident in kerala. 3 people of a family dead in accident near Kilimanoor. Their car and truck involved.

Sad incidents everyday
Old 7th April 2013, 22:23   #12996
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
Reports of another accident in kerala. 3 people of a family dead in accident near Kilimanoor. Their car and truck involved.

Sad incidents everyday
And another one near Vatakara. This time involving students of NIT Calicut.
Old 8th April 2013, 09:52   #12997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post

Sad incidents everyday
Link from Malayala Manorama. http://www.manoramaonline.com/cgi-bi...D=@@@&tabId=11

The details are chilling. Not sure what car was this. Imagine a truck coming and hitting you with huge granite stones and toppling over ! It took 3 hrs to get the bodies out and voyeurism was creating problems for rescue. Everyone wants to take a pic on their mobile phone creating nuisance (and the lack of self discipline !)

I travelled again on the MC road last Saturday and Sunday. Spotted multiple accidents, none of them were major in terms of injuries to people. But cars did suffer badly. On two incidents, it was really encouraging to see Kerala Police doing their job as negotiator instead of doing what they were supposed to do !

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but somehow could not resist typing. Can you please merge my threads, if possible ? thanks for your time and assistance and apologies for the bother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
While I agree that a lot of people drive like maniacs on Kerala roads which needs a law enforcement solution, the other problem of road infrastructure development is a lot more complex.

- Of the 14 districts of Kerala, 8 are coastal and have population density of 1124 people per sq.km. The remaining non-coastal districts have population density of 587. Compare this with: TN - 555, KA - 319, AP - 308 (take the capital metropolises of these states out and these numbers drop further). Note that the non-coastal districts have large areas in the western ghats which is mostly protected forests.

Now, this is a problem than needs creative thinking at the policy-making levels. Unfortunately, politicians being politicians simply aren't capable of thinking beyond the evening's TV chat show.
I agree But if also look at the highways, majority of the buildings are owned by business establishments and hotels. So when road widening plan came up, the resistance was more from business owners than residential owners. Further, there were suggestions on implementing multiple solutions like under pass, parallel roads around existing ones, building a coastal highway etc. Nothing worked out. Whatever started are left midway or after laying foundation stones. If they had the will power and a proper plan for rehabilitation and design, things would have worked out. The thrissur-mannuthy road is a good example. The MC road in bits and pieces of development is another example of how things can be made better inspite of the adversities !

I am not trying to trivialize or say things are just so easy, merely suggesting that there are still multiple ways to improve the infrastructure. What we are suffering is the lack of planning and farsightedness missing 30 years back. It really hurts to see people crying in pain after accidents and witnessing gory scenes. Sometimes i feel so helpless and frustrated seeing them repeatedly. I keep showing this thread to friends and family to remind them of safe driving. No one seems to be watching or listening !

Last edited by aah78 : 12th April 2013 at 06:37. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 8th April 2013, 10:35   #12998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
Link from Malayala Manorama. http://www.manoramaonline.com/cgi-bi...D=@@@&tabId=11

The details are chilling. Not sure what car was this. Imagine a truck coming and hitting you with huge granite stones and toppling over ! It took 3 hrs to get the bodies out and voyeurism was creating problems for rescue. Everyone wants to take a pic on their mobile phone creating nuisance (and the lack of self discipline !)
The car tried to overtake the truck, lost control hit the truck flipped over. Truck driver sees it happening slams the brakes, loses control and truck falls on the car!

As others have mentioned, the highways in Kerala are the first. One of the smallest narrowest states with one of the maximum population densities and its just chaos on the road!

Trivandrum to Kochi is 224kms. At regular day hours it will take 5-6Hrs to cover. It's like driving in the city :(

NHAI offers to build beautiful highways, CM says our people will not like to pay toll so no need!

Imagine in a state we have just two flyovers if i'm not mistaken. One in calicut and one in trivandrum. 2 in an entire state. think about that for a sec.

Tempers fly high road rules are forgotten speed cams are a nuisance at the max not to mention we are amongst the most drunk of all the states, it's just chaos. accidents one after the other.

Sorry for the rant
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 11:11   #12999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
Not sure what car was this.
TV News mentioned it as Alto, though it is really difficult to identify from whatever is left. I hope the occupants passed away before the fire. Can't imagine if they were alive and helpless when it caught fire. RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
NHAI offers to build beautiful highways, CM says our people will not like to pay toll so no need!
There are multiple reasons for the opposition from people regarding toll collection. Agreed that Mannuthy-Edappally stretch is a beautifully planned road with flyovers above all major towns helping in smooth flow of traffic. However, the speed limit of 70 holds good even in this stretch, just like in the other areas of the highway where you have undivided 3-lane highways. And the police are ready with speed guns in this stretch to catch the frustrated drivers who have been driving at 30km/h on 'highway' for the last 2-3 hrs. If you are supposed to go at the same speed as in a regular road, why pay additional toll? Toll highways should be designed to at least cater to 100km/h with barricades on the sides to prevent stray vehicles entering other that at designated places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Imagine in a state we have just two flyovers if i'm not mistaken. One in calicut and one in trivandrum. 2 in an entire state. think about that for a sec.
Just 2? Are you referring to any specific type of flyovers? I know of at least 3 flyovers within Calicut city and numerous others in the Mannuthy-Edappally highway as well as in Cochin.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 13:39   #13000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Just 2? Are you referring to any specific type of flyovers? I know of at least 3 flyovers within Calicut city and numerous others in the Mannuthy-Edappally highway as well as in Cochin.
I was thinking the same too (ref Calicut city). But then I realized that two of those are actually railway overbridges (1st gate and 3rd gate). Only the third one - the one at the junction of Mavoor Road and Mini Bypass Road - truly qualifies as a flyover.

Though, your point is valid - there are several on the NH47 stretch.
Old 8th April 2013, 14:33   #13001
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post

There are multiple reasons for the opposition from people regarding toll collection. Agreed that Mannuthy-Edappally stretch is a beautifully planned road with flyovers above all major towns helping in smooth flow of traffic. However, the speed limit of 70 holds good even in this stretch, just like in the other areas of the highway where you have undivided 3-lane highways. And the police are ready with speed guns in this stretch to catch the frustrated drivers who have been driving at 30km/h on 'highway' for the last 2-3 hrs. If you are supposed to go at the same speed as in a regular road, why pay additional toll? Toll highways should be designed to at least cater to 100km/h with barricades on the sides to prevent stray vehicles entering other that at designated places.

Very valid point. The 1st time I took that road from Mannuthy to Kalamassery took around 45mins or so. I was pleasantly surprised. The roads were wide, there were no toll booths, and no one trying to jump into the road. Now I hear its as miserable as the old days with out the toll road. There are many inlets into the highway , im told. Thats not going to help.

Just to think of it, Kerala was to have an Express Highway connecting Kasaragode to TVM. The idea was dropped due to severe political opposition. The main reason was that this highway would divide kerala into 2 civilisations. One on this side and other on that side of the highway. Believe it or not.
Old 8th April 2013, 14:57   #13002
Senior - BHPian

Hello all,

A Best Bus turtled at Western Express Highway near International Airport fly-over leading to a massive build-up of traffic.

Almost 300 people missed thier flights due to traffic jam caused by this accident).

But most important - there are no casualties & most of the 20 people injured are discharged from respective hospitals.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1819512.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-06bus.jpg

Cause of the accident:
BEST spokesperson said, "A dumper was overtaking from the left side of the bus and its rear end hit the bus at 12.15 pm. The impact was such that bus jumped on to the other lane."

Source: http://freepressjournal.in/speeding-...-bus-crashing/

Thanks,
Old 8th April 2013, 16:05   #13003

I happened to see a accident unfold in front of me yesterday when i was driving back to Bangalore from Alappuzha in the stretch between Coimbatore and Salem. I saw a unregistered VW Polo overtaking me and disappear, a few kilometers down the road i see this polo again right in front of me. Suddenly out of nowhere a moped driven by a old man comes onto the highway from a opening in the median which these villagers have removed to reduce the distance to the next U turn. The poor Polo driver had no chance. He tried to avoid the old man swerving to the left, even then he went over the front wheel of the moped, skidded off the road and flipped over and fell on the service lane 4 feet below.

I immediately pulled over after avoiding the moped which was directly in my way , fortunately no one was hurt, the driver was pulled out without a scratch and the old man too escaped with only a few bruises.

I have seen this jumping out of the median quite a few times in the more than one lakh kms I have driven. My question is , is it not the responsibility of NHAI or the people collecting tolls check on the roads for these kind of illegal turns.
Old 9th April 2013, 00:15   #13004
BHPian

Some time back while returning from office witnessed an accident at Intermediate Ring Road, Opp. Dell office. Two guys in Activa were over speeding and missed noticing speed breaker just before Domlur flyover. One guy was unconscious and was being shifted to hospital.

By the time I could stop my car, too many people gathered. Someone mentioned they were drunk.

Also the rider was not wearing helmet
Old 9th April 2013, 09:03   #13005
Distinguished - BHPian

Spotted this accident couple of days back when I was driving back to bangalore from kanyakumari. This was near valliyur(TN). Looked like the driver lost contol at high speed(its a curve just before this spot), went over the divider and hit the truck which was parked on the Service lane. As per the local newspaper the driver a 24 year old youth survived with injuries.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident1.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident2.jpg

This was on the Krishnagiri - Hosur stretch,

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks