Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2013, 14:03   #13006
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Saw an accident today morning around 3 clock near sankari between coimbatore and salem. It was a volvo multi belonging to Kallada. Not sure if it is G4. Colour was green. Driver side had a hit and i think driver was stuck inside. I could hear some one screaming very badly and there were bunch of people trying to rescue. Saw ambulance rushing from the nearest toll gates also. Any one has more info... I think no passengers were injured since i saw that all were sitting inside..
Old 9th April 2013, 14:30   #13007
BHPian

Was travelling on SH 6, and near Parumala saw this KSRTC "Ordinary" transport rammed on to the compound wall of a house. It seems car-park is also damaged, don’t know if any vehicle was parked when the accident occurred on 06th Apr night. Looks like driver of the bus lost control while negotiating the curve.

Managed to click few snaps though it doesn’t give the best view of the accident spot.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20130407_142312.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20130407_142313.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20130407_142324.jpg

Cheers !!!
Old 9th April 2013, 20:08   #13008
BHPian

Guys, last saturday I was travelling down south for a vacation with my family and hit a dog on NH7 just after crossing Salem (near Vetri Vikas Boys Hr. Secondary School junction). The poor dog did not survive and my car got severely damaged. Skoda roadside service towed the damaged car to the nearest service station in Salem and we cancelled our trip and returned to Bangalore. Today I got a repair estimate of Rs.74,742 . Hurts my heart (for the dog) and my pocket too... I will post a pic of the damage later...
Old 9th April 2013, 20:31   #13009
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBerry View Post
Today I got a repair estimate of Rs.74,742 . Hurts my heart (for the dog) and my pocket too... I will post a pic of the damage later...
74k for a dog hit car!
Skoda is ripping its customer's off.
Do post a pic of the damage please. Is the engine damaged in any way? What speeds were you doing?
Old 9th April 2013, 20:38   #13010
Senior - BHPian

Just happened to read this : http://www.daijiworld.com/news/news_...sp?n_id=169869
A gruesome accident , may the departed souls rest in peace.
Old 9th April 2013, 22:21   #13011
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
74k for a dog hit car!
Skoda is ripping its customer's off.
Do post a pic of the damage please. Is the engine damaged in any way? What speeds were you doing?
I was doing little over 100 when I noticed the dog about to cross the road from the left. I did not apply brakes although I could, instead applied horn assuming the dog will hear and avoid the collision but it didn't and came under my car, in fact hit and rolled under it.
I had to stop in about 300 meters as I noticed a persistent noise and instability from the front. It was because the bumper had broken and was grazing the road.
When we stopped, I could not believe the extent of damage caused by a dog hit. Bumper was broken, left fog light was missing, radiator grill was damaged and almost touching the ground, coolant flowing out etc. Overall it was a very disheartening scene. I could start and stop the engine but not sure if it has been impacted too.
Here's a picture of the damaged car, now under the mercy of the skoda body shop to put it back in shape.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-phpdeaclqam.jpg  

Old 10th April 2013, 00:17   #13012
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
Some time back while returning from office witnessed an accident at Intermediate Ring Road, Opp. Dell office. Two guys in Activa were over speeding and missed noticing speed breaker just before Domlur flyover[...]
Did you notice whether the speedbreaker had any markings on it or not?

A majority of the speedbreakers on my commute are unmarked and I'm used to them by now, but once I step out to new territory the sudden appearance of an unmarked speedbreaker sometimes makes me brake abruptly which is quite discomfiting and dangerous for the person who has to brake hard behind me.

The glaring lack of signage (reflectors on dividers, markings on speedbreakers, etc.) seems to be a popular cause of accidents.
Old 10th April 2013, 04:03   #13013
Senior - BHPian

There are a celebrated pair of speed breakers on the road which runs on left of HSR Layout Petrol bunk, towards HSR layout. Nanda's and other Restaurants are on the left side of this road.
The devil pair has one unpainted and one painted Speed breaker. The one further is painted and the nearer one is unpainted. The victim sees the painted one and keeps his eyes glued on that one. And misses out on the near one totally.

In spite of knowing this, I have been airborne in my Bike over the unpainted one. The first timers have no chance. My brother in law who drove in from Hyderabad also was airborne thanks to this pair of devils. And I have seen umpteen number of people too making the same mistake.

Someone paint the other one please.
Old 10th April 2013, 06:41   #13014
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SujineRaj View Post
I happened to see a accident unfold in front of me yesterday when i was driving back to Bangalore from Alappuzha in the stretch between Coimbatore and Salem. I saw a unregistered VW Polo overtaking me and disappear, a few kilometers down the road i see this polo again right in front of me. Suddenly out of nowhere a moped driven by a old man comes onto the highway from a opening in the median which these villagers have removed to reduce the distance to the next U turn. The poor Polo driver had no chance. He tried to avoid the old man swerving to the left, even then he went over the front wheel of the moped, skidded off the road and flipped over and fell on the service lane 4 feet below.

I immediately pulled over after avoiding the moped which was directly in my way , fortunately no one was hurt, the driver was pulled out without a scratch and the old man too escaped with only a few bruises.

I have seen this jumping out of the median quite a few times in the more than one lakh kms I have driven. My question is , is it not the responsibility of NHAI or the people collecting tolls check on the roads for these kind of illegal turns.
This is horrible. These fool villagers and others who live by the roadside have not learned that cars travelling at high speeds on the highways can kill.
Ys, it is certainly the responsibility of NHAI to ensure that the locals don't mess up the dividers.
The only solution is proper fencing along the entire length of the roads.
Old 10th April 2013, 10:16   #13015
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post

Someone paint the other one please.
Mate i don't know if i am stirring the proverbial hornet's nest here or not, but YOU are the someone that everyone has been waiting for. I am sure it is not going to cost a bomb at all.

Be the Change.....
Old 10th April 2013, 10:50   #13016
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
These fool villagers and others who live by the roadside have not learned that cars travelling at high speeds on the highways can kill.
Oh come on. City slickers are no better. How many times have you had to take avoiding action to stop your car from running over a moronic two wheeled educated guy who just barge out onto the main roads without even bothering to check if it is safe. For me this count is at least 5 - 10 times a day. This is the main reason with no other vehicle around I drive smack bang in the middle of our two carriageway highways.

Moreover this is two wheeler mentality everywhere in India. How often have you seen two wheeler riders trying to cross the road by going over the median? I see this happening at least 3 - 4 times a day.

So let's not blame only the foolish villager.
vikram_d is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2013, 11:04   #13017
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Just happened to read this : http://www.daijiworld.com/news/news_...sp?n_id=169869
A gruesome accident , may the departed souls rest in peace.
A replay of the accident that happened in Kerala last year, near Kannur. My wife says that she's frightened so see the gas tankers whenever we travel. How many more accidents will it take to avoid these kind of wipe outs?
Old 10th April 2013, 11:37   #13018
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
This is horrible. These fool villagers and others who live by the roadside have not learned that cars travelling at high speeds on the highways can kill.
Ys, it is certainly the responsibility of NHAI to ensure that the locals don't mess up the dividers.
The only solution is proper fencing along the entire length of the roads.
My sense is that the villagers don't have a sense of the speeds nor of the braking ability of vehicles from such speeds. They may have a general idea but definitely must be illiterate about other aspects. For them the highways must/ may be some nuisance that disrupted their lives and now are figuring out, dangerously so, their ways around the disruption. While the improvements, education etc. are at best work in progress, I believe we have to exercise caution while ripping along. Since in most such incidents there will be heavy damages to person or property involved, the city bred speeder would suffer the most irrespective of the villagers' right/ wrong acts. The solution has to be more holistic than just fencing since in many cases the villages are split by these highways and villagers have to cross often as they tend to their fields/ livestock. If they are not given a solution to this, they'll figure out other ways of breaching. I wish they had liberally used elevated bypasses in places of moderate to high rural density.
Mnjdnght is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2013, 11:49   #13019
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBerry View Post
I was doing little over 100 when I noticed the dog about to cross the road from the left. I did not apply brakes although I could, instead applied horn assuming the dog will hear and avoid the collision but it didn't and came under my car, in fact hit and rolled under it.
I had to stop in about 300 meters as I noticed a persistent noise and instability from the front. It was because the bumper had broken and was grazing the road.
When we stopped, I could not believe the extent of damage caused by a dog hit. Bumper was broken, left fog light was missing, radiator grill was damaged and almost touching the ground, coolant flowing out etc. Overall it was a very disheartening scene. I could start and stop the engine but not sure if it has been impacted too.
Here's a picture of the damaged car, now under the mercy of the skoda body shop to put it back in shape.
honking was the wrong choice, how can you expect an animal to react to honking the way you want to?

I am not surprised by the extent of damage. Remember Momentum = mass x velocity and in this case you were doing 100 km/hr and you already can imagine the mass of your car. so just think with what momentum did your car hit the poor soul....
evilshantanu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2013, 12:04   #13020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
Did you notice whether the speedbreaker had any markings on it or not?

A majority of the speedbreakers on my commute are unmarked and I'm used to them by now, but once I step out to new territory the sudden appearance of an unmarked speedbreaker sometimes makes me brake abruptly which is quite discomfiting and dangerous for the person who has to brake hard behind me.

The glaring lack of signage (reflectors on dividers, markings on speedbreakers, etc.) seems to be a popular cause of accidents.

They had painted with white stripes, but its erased. Ideally one should put reflectors around speed breakers to get noticed. Unfortunately we are in India and we dont believe in any safety

As mentioned those guys were drunk, so, even the indicators wouldnt have made sense to them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks