Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2013, 14:09   #13096
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Another under aged driver killer. Politician son, driving an SUV.. All the combos remain the same. Aurangabad this time . Tragic video also.

The 17-year-old son of a senior Nationalist Congress Party leader in Maharashtra has been detained for allegedly getting behind the wheel of an SUV and swerving the car into a man and two young children walking on the road, killing one of the little girls.

http://www.ndtv.com/article/cities/p...ome-topstories

Last edited by mannubhai : 17th April 2013 at 14:16.
Old 17th April 2013, 14:12   #13097
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
This is the TTK Road - CP Ramaswamy Road one-way flyover. The curve on top of the flyover is devoid of any banking and is hence extremely dangerous. Plus the report says the driver was not wearing the seatbelt.

Here is the curve: http://goo.gl/maps/01liN
When this flyover was opened a couple on a bike flew off and landed on an Ambassador.

I don't think anyone died.

EDIT: http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper...cle4625620.ece

This is not the incident I was talking about. But same place and same story.

Last edited by bblost : 17th April 2013 at 14:14.
Old 17th April 2013, 15:00   #13098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
Another under aged driver killer. Politician son, driving an SUV.. All the combos remain the same. Aurangabad this time . Tragic video also.
Instant, summary and jungle justice to a few of them is the only way to curb this.

The boy will walk off; a fall guy will take his place.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 16:30   #13099
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post

The 17-year-old son of a senior Nationalist Congress Party leader in Maharashtra has been detained for allegedly getting behind the wheel of an SUV and swerving the car into a man and two young children walking on the road, killing one of the little girls.
Sad indeed. Absolutely no value for human life. What we need is some kind of law to prosecute the parents who handover their car keys to under-aged drivers.

And even more shocking is the way the news channel continuously focus on the graphic scene. More than movies, censoring is required for our news channels.
Old 17th April 2013, 17:22   #13100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is the TTK Road - CP Ramaswamy Road one-way flyover. The curve on top of the flyover is devoid of any banking and is hence extremely dangerous. Plus the report says the driver was not wearing the seatbelt.

Here is the curve: http://goo.gl/maps/01liN
It is not dangerous at all if taken at proper speed.

The article that I read does mention that the driver was driving an old, bad-condition vehicle, wearing no seatbelt, and probably speeding --- but still, somehow, the conclusion is to blame the road.

It is not the fault of the road or the flyover: it is the fault of the driver.
Old 17th April 2013, 18:09   #13101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It is not dangerous at all if taken at proper speed.
What would the proper speed be? I have had trouble steering at speeds in the 40-50 kmph range on this flyover, especially in my I10 (but for this sort of an event to happen, I imagine the guy was doing in excess of 80 kmph or so).
Old 17th April 2013, 22:08   #13102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel
We live in a country where people can afford a motorcycle, cell phone but cannot afford a helmet. Safety isn't anyone's concern. Infrastructure (road, public transport etc.) will always remain a problem. But why can't people be self disciplined and adhere to rules ? Why can't people bother about their own safety ? Why do we assume others would be considerate ? I wish the rider did not go on the right most lane. I wish that incident did not happen.

When i see the talented riders on motorcycles (single or with multiple pillion riders) zig zag and cut across, i wish them good luck. I don't think safety is anyone's concern. We believe in luck, god than being safe or follow rules.

And i just got to know that a relative of mine, young girl is in the ICU after a nasty head injury. She was riding pillion with a friend, both were not wearing helmet and the scooter they were on hit a divider at reasonable speed (that's what the claim is). The rider is paralyzed as she too suffered head injury. Not even a single scratch on their body. Both can afford iphone and galaxy but a helmet was unaffordable. Both the victims are just 22 years old and were lying on the road for more than 15 minutes before they got some help.
This is India no one cares for another human. We are worse than animals! The same WE when go abroad we behave so matured in every aspect from driving, walking or crossing the road, using a dustbin etc not because that we really care for that country but because we are scared where the cops or the health inspector would fine us heavily for our mistake! The fact of losing big money in such cases makes us feel conscious for all these things.

Now the next generation that's coming needs to be thought the principles of following road rules or just basic manners. The schools need to play an active role in this and it needs to be taught from the beginning. Now left is the current generation the government needs to get smart and put heavy fines for not obeying traffic rules and for putting thrash on the road. All they need is some health inspectors in mufti doing rounds round the clock and fine these guys who are creating a nuisance on roads. This will cultivate a fear in our minds and after a period of time there will be a change for sure. But all these points look good to read and on paper but the fact is we are living in such a corrupt society the health inspectors in turn will become millionaires if this type of law is enforced!
Old 18th April 2013, 01:42   #13103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What would the proper speed be? I have had trouble steering at speeds in the 40-50 kmph range on this flyover, especially in my I10 (but for this sort of an event to happen, I imagine the guy was doing in excess of 80 kmph or so).
I suppose the speed limit must be 40?

The answer is self defining: a proper speed is a speed at which you don't have trouble steering. One can see it is going to be a sharpish turn, and being up in the air with fairly minimal barriers on either side ought to be caution inspiring. I don't know what speed I take it at: it's one of those places where I'd rather look at the road than the speedometer! I'd guess, 20 to 30. I'll sneak a careful and quick glance at the clock next time.

As to the accident under discussion, I was surprised to see that the driver is an older man who should not have been driving like a young fool. I wonder, sadly, if he had any previous experience of this type of vehicle (apparently it belonged to a friend), especially an elderly example. How sad for his family.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 18th April 2013 at 01:45.
Old 18th April 2013, 08:30   #13104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
One can see it is going to be a sharpish turn...
This actually is not true. The curve becomes visible only after you have climbed the up ramp of the flyover, by which time it is already too late to do anything about it. I think the reason we see not many more of this sort of thing is that bulk of the users of this flyover are people who are already familiar with it. For this and other reasons, I generally advise people visiting me to come via Santhome to Adyar from this side of Anna Salai, and via Kotturpuram from the other side.
Old 18th April 2013, 09:05   #13105
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This actually is not true. The curve becomes visible only after you have climbed the up ramp of the flyover, by which time it is already too late to do anything about it. I think the reason we see not many more of this sort of thing is that bulk of the users of this flyover are people who are already familiar with it. For this and other reasons, I generally advise people visiting me to come via Santhome to Adyar from this side of Anna Salai, and via Kotturpuram from the other side.
Pardon me, but I believe this is still not a valid argument. If one can't see the turn till one has climbed the up-ramp, that is all the more reason to drive slower to start with. If the road ahead is not visible, one can not assume that the road is straight and/or in good shape OR (in the worst case) even exists!
SDP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 10:21   #13106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post

Pardon me, but I believe this is still not a valid argument. If one can't see the turn till one has climbed the up-ramp, that is all the more reason to drive slower to start with. If the road ahead is not visible, one can not assume that the road is straight and/or in good shape OR (in the worst case) even exists!
Unless you're playing NFS and have a map which shows your the road ahead Speeding/ overtaking without line of sight is definitely asking for trouble. It's common sense, but again you know what people say about that, eh.
IronH4WK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 10:35   #13107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This actually is not true. The curve becomes visible only after you have climbed the up ramp of the flyover, by which time it is already too late to do anything about it. I think the reason we see not many more of this sort of thing is that bulk of the users of this flyover are people who are already familiar with it.
+1 to that.
I find it hard to believe that anyone who actually has experience in road design would design a flyover that way and no one other than a pea brain would approve that design. IMO, that designer ought to be fired. Anything above 40 kmph is very risky on that flyover even for experienced drivers. You get to see that zig zag on the flyover only after reaching the top and having taken that left turn, by which time its too late to do anything if you are already carrying speed. The flyover is way to narrow for that design and even at 40 kmph, you are at the limits of its design.

Last edited by longhorn : 18th April 2013 at 10:39.
Old 18th April 2013, 11:58   #13108
BHPian

I agree, the design of the flyover is something to be blamed for sure. Its too narrow and take a sharp curve the minute after one climbs up. First timer will definitly feel the weirdness for sure, i for the one felt it. One should take this bridge a tad bit slower than normal.

I guess this guy was not over speeding, if he was, then the vehicle itself could have fell off from the bridge.
Old 18th April 2013, 12:09   #13109
BHPian

I am not from Chennai, neither have I visited this flyover ever. What I wanted to know is, does it have sufficient banking?
Members are saying that it has a steep and sudden curve after you board the flyover, then logically it MUST have a good banking. If not, then you cannot always blame the riders, even at normal speeds, it would be dangerous.
Old 18th April 2013, 12:21   #13110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Pardon me, but I believe this is still not a valid argument.
Valid argument for/against what? :-) All I'm saying is that the flyover under discussion is very badly designed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Unless you're playing NFS and have a map which shows your the road ahead Speeding/ overtaking without line of sight is definitely asking for trouble.
But we're talking of speeds of 40 - 50 kmph. And a driver like me. One who's familiar with this side of Chennai intimately. I have trouble maintaining control on this flyover at these speeds (so I usually take it at lower speeds - 30 or below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoNanu View Post
I am not from Chennai, neither have I visited this flyover ever. What I wanted to know is, does it have sufficient banking?
My first post on this topic mentioned it (also has a Google Maps link in it) - this flyover has no banking at the curve. It is flat. It doesn't even have those reflector signboards (angle brackets in a yellow/black that one sees at blind curves elsewhere).

Most Viewed