Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2013, 10:45   #13141
BHPian

Mangaon is my native place. I see many badly mangled accident vehicles being towed to the mangaon police station. 95% of them are accidents occuring on the deadly highway. BTW, highway widening is going on at a good speed around mangaon. May the departed souls rest in peace.
Old 26th April 2013, 11:48   #13142
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Mangaon is also my native place. Over the years I have heard and seen so many fatal accidents on same stretch of road. This is one deadly 2-way national highway with huge traffic and no road dividers. Its only now that they are building a wider road with dividers. The delay in constructing a wider and safer road is attributed to weaker & corrupt politicians in this region. Over the years there were small time parties representing this area. Later on the NCP leader emerged out but sadly he was busy in amassing personal wealth. I wonder how they get away from taking responsibility of so many lives that are lost! On the other hand the drivers are also equally responsible. Most of these accidents are head-on collisions. Vehicles try to overtake even after seeing oncoming traffic. They think they will manage to bully the oncoming traffic by their speed and/or size. The oncoming traffic is egoistic enough to not cut-down on their speed or use the shoulder to create any room. This is such a common scenario in our country!
Few years back I have lost 3 of my extended-family members at the same place. Their stand still Sumo was hit by an oncoming private bus!
Old 26th April 2013, 12:13   #13143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post
Saw an accident in the VTV campus ,outer ring road Bangalore between an SX4 and a tanker lorry.

Not sure about the details and whose fault it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
From the pictures, it appears to be tanker's fault. Who missed to notice the car while taking reverse.

Since the car has reverse sensors, I believe the driver would have noticed tanker and also the impact would not be so much.
There is yellow paint from the tanker till the middle of SX4's rear bumper which shouldn't have been there with a hit in the current position. Not sure if the vehicles collided twice
Old 26th April 2013, 14:05   #13144
BHPian

Jaipur: 10 of family killed as their car collides with truck

http://www.ndtv.com/article/cities/j...e-otherstories
Old 27th April 2013, 08:34   #13145
BHPian

Today morning, I saw a heavy vehicle, maybe a truck or a tanker overturned in a small lane near dadar station.

I was in a bus so could not note any further details. Anyone knows about this?

Also, I didn't understand how can a vehicle overturn on such a small strech of road. It was one of those leading to Siddhivinayak temple and was too small a road for the overturning of such a big vehicle.
Old 27th April 2013, 12:00   #13146
Senior - BHPian

This happened around 11:00 today morning near my house.

A new TATA XENON Pick-up driven by the Owner rammed a divider corner and overturned. A SWIFT that was tailing it back-ended the XENON

Nobody was hurt

Last edited by TheARUN : 27th April 2013 at 12:03. Reason: Added pictures
Old 27th April 2013, 17:02   #13147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
A milk van from Bangalore Diary hit a median on the Bannerghatta Raod, very near to the exit of the Bangalore Diary early morning today. The impact was such the front axel and the fuel tank was ripped apart from the chassis. The position of the van indicated he was driving on the wrong side and was trying to cross over at the time of accident.
That area is a disaster waiting to happen. The milk vans drivers considering themselves as ambulances. They drive as they please, one way or fly over ramps doesn't make any difference to them. They park at blind corners , and come with no head lights on.

I take that road daily on my way back from work. I take extreme precaution as I reach the ramp to dairy circle.
Old 29th April 2013, 11:52   #13148
Distinguished - BHPian

Source: Kannada Prabha Newspaper dated 29.04.13

In today's Kannada newspaper, saw this accident report.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident1.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident2.jpg

It says:
"10 People Died when the Tavera they were travelling in collided head on with a Fuel tanker truck.
This happened in the early hours of the day at around 5AM.
The victims were headed to Tirupathi for a temple visit. Before visiting the temple they visited Hyderabad.
They were from different villages from Kolhapur District and had hired this Tavera for this trip. They had started on Saturday evening.
While 9 people died on the spot, 1 person died on the way to the hostpital.
The tanker driver is absconding and investigations are on"

10 people in a Tavera!! what is the maximum permitted assuming this was to be a yellow-board hired vehicle?
Old 29th April 2013, 12:25   #13149
BHPian

Saw a silver colored new swift dzire rearending a truck on NH4 near dehu rd bypass. Passenger side was mangled badly. The RTO had arrived. Happened around 10pm yesterday night. No one seemed to be hurt.
Old 29th April 2013, 13:14   #13150
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
10 people in a Tavera!! what is the maximum permitted assuming this was to be a yellow-board hired vehicle?
R.I.P. This should have been a 9+1 taxi.

It is really sad to see such accidents on the rise.
I drove back from Kalasa last evening and amongst the worst driven vehicles were hired MUVs.
Old 29th April 2013, 13:26   #13151
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Source: Kannada Prabha Newspaper dated 29.04.13

In today's Kannada newspaper, saw this accident report.

Attachment 1078875
Attachment 1078876

It says:
"10 People Died when the Tavera they were travelling in collided head on with a Fuel tanker truck.
The victims were headed to Tirupathi for a temple visit. Before visiting the temple they visited Hyderabad.
They were from different villages from Kolhapur District and had hired this Tavera for this trip. They had started on Saturday evening.

The max allowed in Tavera is 6+1. However the front seat is made to accommodate two. So max 7+1. 10 means totally cramped passenger compartment.Also being villagers, you cant expect them to know to wear seatbelts or not to overload! So in an impact this kind of result is obvious!
Old 29th April 2013, 14:01   #13152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
The max allowed in Tavera is 6+1. However the front seat is made to accommodate two. So max 7+1. 10 means totally cramped passenger compartment.Also being villagers, you cant expect them to know to wear seatbelts or not to overload! So in an impact this kind of result is obvious!
http://www.chevrolet.co.in/tavera-mu...s/seating.html

Tavera & many other MUVs are rated 9-10 passengers as per Chevy's website for the MUV (few others from M&M & Force offer even more seating capacity). Interstate vehicles try best to comply with RTO guidelines & licencing requirements, & this Tavera needn't be an exception. I believe the accident happened because of overworked & sleepy driver.
Old 29th April 2013, 14:08   #13153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
http://www.chevrolet.co.in/tavera-mu...s/seating.html

Tavera & many other MUVs are rated 9-10 passengers as per Chevy's website for the MUV (few others from M&M & Force offer even more seating capacity). Interstate vehicles try best to comply with RTO guidelines & licencing requirements, & this Tavera needn't be an exception. I believe the accident happened because of overworked & sleepy driver.
I am telling about the consequence of not wearing seat belts.I should have made it clear.Also if you accommodate 10 then its sure that each individual cannot have a dedicated seat belt.Point in case is the font passenger seat of the tavera which is wide enough to hold 2 passengers.
Old 29th April 2013, 14:12   #13154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I am telling about the consequence of not wearing seat belts.I should have made it clear.Also if you accommodate 10 then its sure that each individual cannot have a dedicated seat belt.Point in case is the font passenger seat of the tavera which is wide enough to hold 2 passengers.
I agree with your comments on the seat belt part. However, the 3+3+4 variant does offer front seat belts for 2 passengers. Moreover, the side facing 3rd row seats are the biggest cause of maximum damage to the occupants in such accidents.
Old 29th April 2013, 14:20   #13155
Senior - BHPian

From the pics, it seems either the result of an overtaking manoeuvre gone horribly wrong or driver dozed away. Sad. May their souls rest in peace.

Quote:
...what is the maximum permitted assuming this was to be a yellow-board hired vehicle?
The Tavera yellow-board vehicle, with front bench seat, is licensed to carry 9 passengers along with one driver...total of 10 adults (3+3+2+2).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks