Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2004, 17:12   #16
Senior - BHPian

Hey Adpd

Yes infact Worli Seaface is pretty empty in the noons. And oh yes this happened when it was raining so all the more dangerous

This thread is getting seriously depresssing now
Old 4th June 2004, 17:16   #17
BHPian

jeeez...evem i had got those fotos...so u took them eh rtech...i even saw that in a college magazine ...dont drink and drive !!!!!!

the email i had got said that the ikon just came apart while driving fast ...
Old 4th June 2004, 22:58   #18
BHPian

Well, if the car's front actually came apart on impact, we should send these pics to Ford Motor Company and get their views on it !
Old 4th June 2004, 23:18   #19
Senior - BHPian

Ok, i dunno how many know the true story about the crash, but addy has put 2/3rds of the story.

After jumping the divider (where i guess the front suspensions must have gone for a toss if one notices rim damage also), the car went on to have its a-pillar crash into a pole. Then the passenger capsule went on to ram a wall.

Ok, if you think a pole is like a matchstick, think again. Its one heavy mass of steel, so to ensure it stays stuck in the ground, its put deep down and iinto layers of concrete right round it. Now something in concrete isn't exactly chocolate mousse and you know that. The impact therefore with such a structure in a car which barely has any mass (1-ton is nothing for a pole, it needs much more to even shake it off its foundation). The pole therefore acted like a razor-sharp knife with the car at that momentum and cut the engine bay out. Ramming into a wall again at that momentum is gonna be pretty hard.

Remember its not the car that killed the passengers, its the momentum of that vehicle. 120 kmph is no slow speed. Why, Lady Diana died in an S-class, regarded then as the safest vehicle in the world at 100 kmph. And that too a car costing 10-15 times more. Don't blame Ford. You can't fight the laws of Physics always.

Revv
Revvmaster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2004, 03:12   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

hey guys
just be happy the car wasnt an accent or else everyone would have died and the accent got 1.5 stars in the ncap rating as compared to the ikons 3 star rating.
also those guys wernt under the influnece of alcohol but had just gone out for a joyride.
this is what i read in the mid - day.
any way after reading this post i am always going to respect the speed limits from now on.

cheers
lamborghini
Old 5th June 2004, 15:28   #21
gTr
BHPian

Hey guys,well......really agree with ya its depressing,but then all the youngsters who drive like they freakin own the road shud learn sumthin outta it......was just crazyyyyy.........
and yeah rtech,a few of my friends did mail me the pics,infact i got 2 mails from 2 different friends regardin this accident......
guess ur pics worked amazingly........
great cam work
Laterz!!!
Old 5th June 2004, 16:49   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (lamborghini @ June 05 2004,01:42)]hey guys
just be happy the car wasnt an accent or else everyone would have died and the accent got 1.5 stars in the ncap rating as compared to the ikons 3 star rating.
also those guys wernt under the influnece of alcohol but had just gone out for a joyride.
any way after reading this post i am always going to respect the speed limits from now on.

cheers
lamborghini
One of the reason why Accent SUcKS !!!

2f2f
Old 5th June 2004, 19:39   #23
Senior - BHPian

Horrible Ikon accident.

It reminds me of the accident involving two of my classmates. Well, they decided to go for a Jolly ride in the wee hours in a Corsa after studying till late night for their board exams the next day. They took the ring road (Koramangala ring road in Bangalore) and there is a long straight stretch of road where they are believed to have touched sppeds of nearly 165 KMPH when the driver lost control, jumped the divider, hit an Autorikshaw coming in the opp direction, dragged the auto for almost 150m before finally halting wit the help of the fencing along the road side...

One of'em lost his life while the other had severe head injury.

Now, i know why my dad doesn't allow me to drive the car till i get my license.
Old 5th June 2004, 19:52   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (lamborghini @ June 05 2004,01:42)]hey guys

cheers
lamborghini
I don't know abt the safety rating, but, i do know that my dad's friend escape unhurt when he collided head on with a truck in an Accent 1.6 GLX.
He was on the Ghat section of the B'lore-M'lore highway, entering a bridge, when he spotted a truck speeding towards the bridge. Since, it was a narrow bridge only one vehicle could pass, and since he had already entered he expected the truck to stop. But, the truck kept its speedof abt 60 kmph, so he started flashing headlights, indicators etc, but in vain. He came to a stand still and just prayed that the truck would stop, which didn't happen. The truck collided head on and the impact was so severe that the truck hit the car twice bouncing it before coming to a stand still. The passengers came out with a fractured hand, bruises and a harsh experiences.

As for the car, the cost of repair was 3.5 lac while the car was insured for a value of 3.6 lac.
shravan316 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2004, 03:32   #25
SLK
Senior - BHPian

>. I think... all safety features are useless in some situation or the other..... In total crash accidents... nothing .. no rating.. no.. ABS... no Seatbealt... no nothing is useful.

IF u r lucky it.. live.

Best Safety feature in anycar is the driver... (and this device malfunctions quite often).

There are actually very rare cases.. where the driver .. could not have avoided the incident. (doesn't matter if its his mistake or not.... he could have avoided)
SLK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th June 2004, 03:36   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Best Safety feature in anycar is the driver...
Nothing is truer than this statement. Well said, SLK

GTO
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2004, 04:07   #27
Sam
BHPian

My ikon was just in an accident today. A ricksha decided to drive like an american and hit my car in th front right corner. Will take pics tommorw morning and post them. Fortunately not as horrific as the split incident. Here the driver and pasessengers were injured. Idiot ricksha driver!!
Old 6th June 2004, 19:37   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (SLK @ June 06 2004,02:02)]Best Safety feature in anycar is the driver... (and this device malfunctions quite often).
Cant agree better SLK...
Its more often than not the driver error is what causes the accidents..
Old 6th June 2004, 21:15   #29
Team-BHP Support

If you look on the highway, most accidents are due to 1: Overtaking (head on) 2: Loss of control due to overloading 3: Poor mechanical condition - tyre bursts, axle failures
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2004, 16:37   #30
Senior - BHPian

That ikon accident,
Speechless,

And about safety,
I remember seeing the W210 pic somewhere in a similar condition,

Rightly said,
The safest feature is the driver,

Revv,
Also ur point on laws of physics,
U got it from merc rite?