Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2013, 10:03   #13351
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Are you a psychic or did you just make all of that up?

The indica was also at fault as per an eyewitness accounted posted above yours. Please don't speculate over the internet.
Sorry missed that post

However the point about riding at crazy speeds in streets still remain. How many times have we seen bikers drive as if their pants were on fire in the bylanes - Happens all the time in my neighbourhood. You simply pray and hope no one gets in front of these kids.

I mean no offence but most of these guys are a menace on the roads.
Old 11th June 2013, 16:20   #13352
BHPian

Caught this on May 5th while I was on the way from Madurai to Tirunelveli (NH7).

I was told that the ertiga attempted to overtake a lorry, lost control, banged in to the median,flipped over once and landed where it is resting now.
There was an ambulance standing close to the accident scene, but I dont know the state of the cars occupants.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image2192241071.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image1848961690.jpg  

dzrebellz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 17:20   #13353
Senior - BHPian

saw this little accident at KR Puram yesterday. looks like the Logan cab was driving too close to the tanker.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-_mg_2841.jpg
Old 11th June 2013, 18:46   #13354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
saw this little accident at KR Puram yesterday. looks like the Logan cab was driving too close to the tanker.
I think it's an Etios.

Look at the bus driver. Typical accident scene in India - the drivers of the crashed vehicles fighting and the guys stuck at the back just want them to move out of the way.
Old 11th June 2013, 20:34   #13355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
I think it's an Etios.

Look at the bus driver. Typical accident scene in India - the drivers of the crashed vehicles fighting and the guys stuck at the back just want them to move out of the way.
If it was not a very serious accident, that is what the involved parties should do - move out of the way.

In the US - it is a rule that minor accident vehicles should move off to not impede traffic. Of course in case of a serious accident, you may not be able to move.
Old 11th June 2013, 20:46   #13356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post

I think it's an Etios.

My bad; it is an Etios

On that stretch, it's just a accident waiting to happen. People drive bumper to bumper and many are reckless, like this cab driver.
Old 12th June 2013, 09:53   #13357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzrebellz View Post
Caught this on May 5th while I was on the way from Madurai to Tirunelveli (NH7).

I was told that the ertiga attempted to overtake a lorry, lost control, banged in to the median,flipped over once and landed where it is resting now.
There was an ambulance standing close to the accident scene, but I dont know the state of the cars occupants.
The Ertiga cabin seems to be in tact. So hopefully the occupants might have escaped with minor injuries. Had it been a head on collision, then situation might have been different though.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2013, 10:13   #13358
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
The Ertiga cabin seems to be in tact. So hopefully the occupants might have escaped with minor injuries. Had it been a head on collision, then situation might have been different though.
If they wore their belts, they would have walked out with minor bruises. If they had not, they could have suffered head injuries, broken necks etc
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2013, 10:14   #13359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Attachment 1095142
The Etios rams in to the truck and going by the cab drivers gesture, its the truck drivers fault. This is just epic. Not pulling over and discussing the matter is quite normal in my city. Don't know if this applies for other cities/towns.

On the 3rd of this month at 630am, I'm heading to work and there is some commotion at the signal just at the BEML railway line that cuts across old madras road. I could not tell what happened. From the looks of it a bus and sumo was involved. The private bus was coming out of ngef main road and the sumo was headed towards krpuram. Both the vehicles stopped bang in the middle of the road and to make matters worse, passer by folks are pulling over, again in the middle of the road to see what is happening. I could not see the accident due to the number of vehicles surrounding the accident site. It was a madness at 630am in the morning on old madras road.

On the 10th, two days ago, 550pm, I'm headed home, I am coming down krpuram bridge when I see traffic starting to pile up towards the end of the bridge. Traffic is just inching ahead towards the ring road bridge that leads to hebbal. My left hand is starting to hurt regulating the clutch on my motorcycle. Traffic is horrible. Just a little after the middle of the ring road bridge, I see a Indicab with a broken axle and it had to happen when he was in the middle of the road. Employees standing around the car looking at the chaos they have created and the cab driver as usual talking to someone on the phone about what has happened. One traffic policeman doing all he can to divert traffic away from the cab. Whatever he is doing is not helping smooth traffic flow. When I saw what created the jam, I was like, what the hell! Right after the location of the broken down cab and I can see an empty stretch of road. Right up to the cab and before it, a massive traffic jam. What were those employees travelling in the cab thinking, that standing in the middle of the road makes them kings? These are educated people. They did not have the brains to understand that standing around the cab in the middle of the road is dangerous. I don't know what to say.

Last edited by bblost : 12th June 2013 at 11:10. Reason: Offensive and foul language has been edited. Please refer forum rules. Thanks.
Old 12th June 2013, 10:20   #13360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post

The Etios rams in to the truck and going by the cab drivers gesture, its the truck drivers fault.

How can this be the truck drivers fault when the truck was rear ended by the car. No matter what , whoever hits from behind is always at fault l

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
. What were those employees travelling in the cab thinking, that standing in the middle of the road makes them kings? These are educated people. They did not have the brains to understand that standing around the cab in the middle of the road is dangerous. I don't know what to say.
You will many more jokers like this if you happen to drive to Electronic City on the BETL

Last edited by moralfibre : 12th June 2013 at 12:01. Reason: Fixing broken quote
Old 12th June 2013, 10:21   #13361
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IF all the occupants were wearing seatbelts, then yes. I've rarely seen a back seat passenger wear seatbelt in India. So we can't be entirely sure on that. The passengers could be thrown around inside the cabin if they were not wearing seat belts, since the car toppled.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2013, 11:17   #13362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
How can this be the truck drivers fault when the truck was rear ended by the car
I never said it was the truck drivers fault. I was highlighting the approach taken by the cab driver and this approach applies to just about every situation like this. Its your fault, who asked you to slam the brakes. Nobody thinks about distance to be maintained with the vehicle up front.
Old 12th June 2013, 11:30   #13363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Now, there are a few sections where there is no signage to divert traffic to the opposite lane and it so happens that you will spot traffic flowing in both directions on both the corridors (specially after Haveri till Channarayapatna). This is perhaps the biggest reason as for now for head-on collisions on this stretch.
I wish the person responsible for such carelessness could be tried for mass murder.
Old 12th June 2013, 11:54   #13364
BHPian

Quote:
The right side of the car was virtually untouched. The left side and the roof seems to have borne the brunt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
If they wore their belts, they would have walked out with minor bruises. If they had not, they could have suffered head injuries, broken necks etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
IF all the occupants were wearing seatbelts, then yes. I've rarely seen a back seat passenger wear seatbelt in India. So we can't be entirely sure on that. The passengers could be thrown around inside the cabin if they were not wearing seat belts, since the car toppled.
All your comments are very valid.

There seems to be a sense of bravado in travelling without wearing a seat belt. From time to time, I get gyaan from my own friends when I insist on them wearing it. Thankfully, Bangalore police is strict with the seat belts offence and I use that as an added persuasion - though I shouldn't have to struggle with this in the first place.
"I'm not paying a fine just because you don't want to wear a belt" usually works

As for the accident in question, the thing that was racking my brain is this:
Is it really that easy to topple an Ertiga/Innova/Xylo/Duster/XUV500 type vehicle?
What is the speed at which we can take corners safely in these vehicles?

The reason I worry is that I am thinking of getting one of these shortly (for their ground clearance mainly, I am tired of scraping the underbody on my fiesta on every other speedbreaker no matter how slowly I move across it).
Old 12th June 2013, 11:56   #13365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
How can this be the truck drivers fault when the truck was rear ended by the car. No matter what , whoever hits from behind is always at fault
In this case (and most such cases on our roads), it is usually the fault of the vehicle behind, not keeping adequate distance from vehicle in front.
However, regarding the part of the post in bold, it is not that the vehicle behind would always be deemed to be in the fault. Eg. in cases where the vehicle in front brakes abruptly for no valid reason. This is from the MVD rules :

24. Abrupt brake
No driver of a vehicle shall apply brake abruptly unless it is necessary to do so for safety reasons.
supremeBaleno is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks