Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2013, 10:46   #13396
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Spotted this car sometime ago at Reliance Refresh on Vadodara-Ahmedabad Expresshighway.
was this car coming the wrong side *on the expressway*?
Old 17th June 2013, 11:10   #13397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Spotted this car sometime ago at Reliance Refresh on Vadodara-Ahmedabad Expresshighway.
This is interesting. The crumple zone has absorbed most of the impact (as it should, as per design) leaving the cabin almost intact. I think the occupants must have got off with minimal injuries, provided they were wearing seatbelts.
Old 17th June 2013, 16:25   #13398
BHPian

Not a major incident as such, but nevertheless very annoying. My trusty old Corolla was parked on the road, came back to find the wing mirror dangling and the door slightly scratched and dented. Parking attendant told me that a Santro had conveniently brushed my car and then decided to drive away. Aparently the offending driver was on the phone (as claimed by the parking attendent).
Hate the mentality of such fools on the road. Had to tie the dangling mirror to the door frame to prevent it from constantly knocking against the door and causing more damage.

The mirror assembly itself was undamaged, but the portion holding the entire mirror assembly to the door was in pieces. Amazingly, the electric fold+adjust functions were still working! Car is now in the garage getting fixed up.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image.jpg  

Last edited by fordfreak : 17th June 2013 at 16:27.
Old 17th June 2013, 16:53   #13399
BHPian

Swift Dzire catches fire on PVNR expressway in Hyderabad

Saw this on 15th and 16th June TOI, Hyderabad edition. A Swift Dzire caught fire, the driver was unable to escape. May he rest in peace.

I wonder what caused the fire to spread so rapidly that the driver was unable to stop and come out, maybe the door locks gave away. Here is report from TOI:

Car blaze victim was city bizman
TIMES NEWS NETWORK

Hyderabad: The charred body recovered from the gutted Swift Dzire on the PVNR Expressway on Friday was identified as that of an industrialist from Ameerpet. However, police are still clueless about what triggered the fire.
Rajendranagar police said on Saturday identified the deceased as Santosh Ganeriwala, 49, the owner of Besto Industries in Katedan. He was on his way to Balanagar to deliver some goods when his car caught fire on the expressway.
When Santosh did not turn up at home on Friday night, his family members first checked at the industrial unit in Katedan, only to find that he had left in the evening. When they learnt through media reports about the car fire on the expressway, which was the regular routetaken by Santosh,they approachedthe police.They later identified the gutted care on thebasisof thechassis number. Police said the identity of the victim was confirmed through a DNA test after collecting the blood samples from the family members.
But cops are clueless about the cause of the fire and suspect it may have erupted from the air-conditioning unit. “The electrical wiring of the car was found to be completely burnt. The diesel tank also caught fire. The driver could not come out of the vehicle and was burnt alive,” Rajendranagar inspector S Jayaram said.
Old 17th June 2013, 17:54   #13400
BHPian

Saw this bus perched on the median along the JVLR today. Fellow must have been driving at speed in the night and skid in the heavy rains.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20130617_1202590.jpg
Old 18th June 2013, 10:58   #13401
BHPian

This happened near Panmbur- Mangalore.

A Police Tavera, coming from the wrong side smashed in to a truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20130618wa0007.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20130618wa0008.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20130618wa0009.jpg  

yamaniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2013, 11:04   #13402
BHPian

^^
Sad to see non-safety glass on the truck here.
Isn't it supposed to be mandatory?
I do sincerely hope that it did not increase the extent of injuries here.
Old 18th June 2013, 11:24   #13403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
^^
Sad to see non-safety glass on the truck here.
Isn't it supposed to be mandatory?
Safety glass will be fitted from the factory, but the local cab manufacturers, who are no better than sheet-metal tinkerers, fit something that would fit their design. The vast majority of trucks that we find on our roads have their cabs fabricated by local garages. The truck owners cut corners to save on the additional cost incurred for a factory-fitted cab which is more sleek, comfortable and above all, safer.
Old 18th June 2013, 11:35   #13404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaniac View Post
A Police Tavera, coming from the wrong side smashed in to a truck.
A police accident again, this time in Pune.

Quote:
PUNE: Five people were killed on the spot and five, including deputy superintendent of police (DSP) Dinkar Mahajan of Achalpur division in Amravati, seriously injured after an SUV driven by Mahajan hit three college students before ramming a stationary container around 5 pm on Monday.
The Vehicle seemed to be a Tata Safari.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/20638738.cms
Old 18th June 2013, 12:46   #13405
BHPian

I read this in yesterdays (17-Jun-13) Mumbai Mirror edition.

Quote:
A38-year-old neurosurgeon had a narrow escape on the Sea Link on Sunday, after the wheels of his Honda City locked up.
The article goes on to say that the airbags did not open up when the car crashed into the Sea Link wall, but the driver escaped unhurt.

Unfortunately, this happened when the doctor was responding to an emergency call, and had this emergency of his own. He is now suing Honda in consumer court.

Link to the full article.

This steering wheel lockup had happened once with my dad as well couple of decades ago. Fortunately he was just starting up from a red signal and the car banged into the road divider at very low speed. No injuries and just bumper and headlight broken on our then car 118 NE.
Old 18th June 2013, 12:46   #13406
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post

Another account of the same accident, with a pic and some details changed.

http://www.ndtv.com/article/cities/p...-lateststories

Last edited by gurudutt : 18th June 2013 at 12:47. Reason: missing link
Old 18th June 2013, 12:56   #13407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post

I have no sympathy for the driver. He not only killed his co-passenger but also innocent bystanders.

I don't have all the facts. At the risk of sounding judgmental, it seems like a high speed accident. Safari is not known for its handling abilities. To top it all, the driver was a DSP with police (who is supposed to enforce safe driving discipline on road)

Last edited by Gotham_City : 18th June 2013 at 13:00.
Old 18th June 2013, 16:17   #13408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham_City View Post
I have no sympathy for the driver. He not only killed his co-passenger but also innocent bystanders.

I don't have all the facts. At the risk of sounding judgmental, it seems like a high speed accident. Safari is not known for its handling abilities. To top it all, the driver was a DSP with police (who is supposed to enforce safe driving discipline on road)
Dont blame the car or the driver before the facts are out. As per me, it looks like the 3 idiots crossing the road were at fault, they crossed from front of the parked truck, a santro or similar car narrowly missed hitting them, the cop in the Safari couldnt spot them in time, hit them, then in the process of avoiding them he skidded left and crashed into the stationary truck killing the cleaner and driver who were below the truck repairing it.
I believe the 3 idiots got themselves killed by their foolishness, got the driver and cleaner killed (who were illegally repairing the truck on the highway) and got the policeman and his family killed for no fault of theirs.
apachelongbow is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th June 2013, 16:21   #13409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham_City View Post
By no means I can accept that those students were "innocent bystanders". They were rather crossing the road. Who on earth appears suddenly from a blind spot behind a vehicle ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
I believe the 3 idiots got themselves killed by their foolishness, got the driver and cleaner killed (who were illegally repairing the truck on the highway) and got the policeman and his family killed for no fault of theirs.
Agree with apachelongbow, 3 idiots caused mayhem on the street.

But again, I leave the case for police to solve. I don't want to speculate or pass a judgement. My opinion, pedestrian caused the accident in this case.
Old 18th June 2013, 16:34   #13410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Dont blame the car or the driver before the facts are out. As per me, it looks like the 3 idiots crossing the road were at fault
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
By no means I can accept that those students were "innocent bystanders". They were rather crossing the road. Who on earth appears suddenly from a blind spot behind a vehicle ?
My bad! I had just read the NDTV report which makes one feel that the girls (accident victims) were bystanders. ToI report cleared the air.

Three girls should have been careful. They paid the ultimate price.

BTW, we had a similar discussion on another thread where majority agreed that one should expect pedestrians crossing the road by the blind side of a standing bus / truck. Exactly the same scenario played out here. A defensive driving style would have saved the day for the cop. R.I.P.
Gotham_City is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed