Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2013, 14:45   #13471
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Was witness to an accident to one of my colleagues yesterday night.
We were a group of 13 members on 3 cars and a two wheeler and were returning back from a weekend outing in Sakleshpur.

The time was around 10:30PM and we were cruising back to Bangalore.
Near Yediyur some 60kms to go, I was the leading the pack of vehicles and behind me was my colleague on his Pulsar 220 and the two other cars were at some distance behind us.
We both were in the left lane may be at around 80kmph.
I thought I saw something on the road, it looked like some medium sized object but small enough for my Punto's clearance. I thought I can pass it over passed over it.
just a fraction of a second before passing over I realised that it was a log of wood!!!! It just kissed the engine guard plate.

Just after passing it, I saw the ORVM...What I saw was a huge chunk of metal scraping the road and lots of sparks. It was my colleague and his bike on the road dragged for atleast 50 mtrs. I braked hard and pulled out.
We ran to him and lifted him up and the bike.

The crash guard had borne the brunt of the fall and almost half of its metal was gone. and the left side fully scraped off. Luckily it was still in a good ride-able condition

There were no external injuries on him. The Helmet, Jacket and Jeans were all torn. And he was unable to move his hand.
We got him to the hospital quickly and as feared, his collar bone had fractured. He is undergoing a surgery today.

While taking him to the Hospital, we saw the truck which in all probablities the culprit for this . Not fully covered, this log must have managed to slip out.

Finally after admitting him to a hospital and informing his family members, we went to bed at around 2AM. I was not able to take any pictures of the vehicle

With no strict enforcement of regulations, such trucks will cause many more accidents on our Highways.
However the only thing that the P220 rider shouldn't have done was to follow a car at its centre instead of its tyre tracks.
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 15:18   #13472
Distinguished - BHPian

Bangalore Hit and Run Accident:

As per TOI, this accident happened when this victim was trying to cross the road. In the video he is getting hit by the car@ 0:15. Also, if you notice couple of buses and cars crossed the accident spot just before this car. So, obviously there was traffic and hence he should have avoided to cross the road at that point of time. And after this car, there was no vehicles passing for another 20+ seconds.

Had he waited for couple of more second, he might be still alive. Its all about being patient when on road.

At 0:50, you can see a two-wheeler guy who braked on seeing this accident and was almost hit by the Sumo who was behind him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
BTP isn't even sure what type of car it is, hence the attempt to identify the car. Might help the cops narrow down the search
True, they are looking out for a blue esteem.
Old 24th June 2013, 15:48   #13473
Senior - BHPian

Looking at the traffic flowing through the junction, the car was not over speeding and there were a lot of vehicles moving briskly. Even the Bike guy waited for sometime to cross the junction.
Very unfortunate and sad incident

So is the following where a BMW caught fire after falling off the ramp.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/20735759.cms

Last edited by srishiva : 24th June 2013 at 15:51.
Old 24th June 2013, 16:51   #13474
Senior - BHPian

Re: Super-Cars & Exotic Imports Crashes in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by harusadu View Post
Is that a 5 series or a 3 series?
That appears to be a 3 Series.
Old 24th June 2013, 18:02   #13475
BHPian

A friend of mine and I have the habit of turning on the hazard lamp whenever we find it is dangerous for the vehicle following us. Most times we make trips together and we alert each other and other road users of such unexpected things.

Wish your buddy speedy recovery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Just after passing it, I saw the ORVM...What I saw was a huge chunk of metal scraping the road and lots of sparks. It was my colleague and his bike on the road dragged for atleast 50 mtrs. I braked hard and pulled out.
We ran to him and lifted him up and the bike.

Last edited by sgmitr13 : 24th June 2013 at 18:04.
sgmitr13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 21:27   #13476
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey folks, the quick update on BTP's official FB page on the accident we discussed in last two pages -

Quote:
The accident which took place on yesterday early morning at 04:25 hrs, the vehicle and the driver of the accident car are traced and arrested. Thank Q for your valuable comments and suggestions . The car was Ford Fiesta, and let us salute Inspector Lakshminarayana and his team and also the senior officers who has given proper guidance and direction.
Nothing more has been published as of now.
abirnale is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 21:46   #13477
Senior - BHPian

The car and the owner involved in the hit and run incident at Bommanahalli jn, Bangalore has been identified and arrested, as per BTP facebook post. The car indeed was a Ford Fiesta.
below is the text of the post
Quote:
Dear Friends,
The accident which took place on yesterday early morning at 04:25 hrs, the vehicle and the driver of the accident car are traced and arrested. Thank Q for your valuable comments and suggestions . The car was Ford Fiesta, and let us salute Inspector Lakshminarayana and his team and also the senior officers who has given proper guidance and direction
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 21:48   #13478
Distinguished - BHPian

Regarding accident video posted by Bangalore traffic police and shared in previous page. BTP facebook page has an update saying the car was Fiesta and the driver is arrested.
Old 25th June 2013, 06:07   #13479
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkydevil View Post
Found this on the net, seems to have happened last night :-

dead," police said.

The injured were rushed to a hospital and police said they were out of danger.

"We are yet to ascertain if Vasu was driving under the influence of alcohol. A blood sample has been collected to check the blood alcohol level and a case was registered under section 304-A (causing death by rash or negligent act) and 337 (causing hurt by an act which endangers human life) of the IPC against him," police said."
Is this that huge 12 km long ramp that is on the road from the Hyderabad Airport to the city? Also, would be worth knowing what sort of speed that car was being driven at. I was recently on that road and my observation was that on account of the high quality uninterrupted, traffic free stretch that it offers, people tend to severely over-speed there all the time.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 25th June 2013 at 06:08.
Old 25th June 2013, 06:32   #13480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
What is the purpose of this camera? I think we are supposed to look for the number of the car but instead we have to do lot of analysis to find the model of the car.

Even some time back there was a hit an run case on this stretch and I don't think they were able to trace that car. BTP should look to upgrade these cameras and make use of it in these kind if scenarios.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Good observation. I think those are HIDs. Rules out the possibility that it could be a yellow board.

Arun - it is indeed frustrating that the car can't be traced since the footage is not clear. BTP isn't even sure what type of car it is, hence the attempt to identify the car. Might help the cops narrow down the search
Looks like BTP heard yaa'll, the driver has been arrested

https://www.facebook.com/BangaloreTr...16174618448250
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 10:26   #13481
Senior - BHPian

Hello All,

the deadly Mumbai - Goa highway is once again in news for wrong reason - 11 members of a family killed in accident at Khed, Ratnagiri.

The irony is that the family (residing at Malad, Mumbai) had gone to Sangameshwar for marriage proposal of one of their member - Rakesh. The accident pratically killed entire family including Rakesh, his brother & sister-in-law, his sister & her husband & respective childrens. Also the Qualis driver - Prashant Manjre is killed. There are only two survirors, who are seriously injured.

One of the local newspapers contains a picture of this accident & it is very disturbing to see the dead bodies of driver & passenger still lying on their seats. I am not posting that picture here.

Details of the accident here - http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/20752659.cms

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 10:39   #13482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Is this that huge 12 km long ramp that is on the road from the Hyderabad Airport to the city?
Are you talking of the PVNR Expressway? Then no, this is the Hyderabad ORR and NH9 interchange at Pedda Amberpet, about 12 km from the Hyderabad IRR (which can be taken as the city edge) and NH9 junction at LB Nagar.

This is the eastbound NH9, connecting Hyderabad to Vijayawada.
Old 25th June 2013, 11:07   #13483
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello All,

the deadly Mumbai - Goa highway is once again in news for wrong reason - 11 members of a family killed in accident at Khed, Ratnagiri.

Saw the report on a news channel yesterday morning. Was searching for this news online since then.

Here's a pic of the car (picked from HVK message board)
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-hvk-1017499_10200216218192888_363479179_n.jpg

Last edited by SDP : 25th June 2013 at 11:08.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 11:14   #13484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello All,

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/20752659.cms
Having traveled on the said road multiple times (and those across the country), I can say that this is one of the most dangerous highways I have come across. The road is narrow and steep with innumerable turns. Situation is further worsened by indiscriminate behavior of highway users. Considering that almost all other major highways now have a barrier, people seem to have forgotten the art of driving on 2-lane road.

Driving on this highway during night (with reduced distance perception) increases the risk multiple times. The overtaking vehicles simply refuse to acknowledge oncoming traffic (dipper signals too are completely useless). After a couple of close shaves, I have decided to altogether skip this highway unless absolutely necessary.
Gotham_City is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 11:19   #13485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham_City View Post
After a couple of close shaves, I have decided to altogether skip this highway unless absolutely necessary.
May the deceased RIP.

Have heard a lot about this Highway's scenic beauty from many many of friends and had a dream to drive on it one day. With the number of accidents building up, seems will have to keep the drive for a later stage when India has built up a respect for fellow road users. Night driving is a big NO NO for me, being a newbie, and this highway, I feel I should stay away at the moment.

Last edited by carzone : 25th June 2013 at 11:27.

Most Viewed