Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2013, 16:12   #13501
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

A boy studying in the same school as my son died this morning after a private van he was travelling in entered the Pallavaram - Thoraipaakkam 200 feet road very fast from the flyover, climbed the median and overturned. Poor child celebrated his birthday just yesterday.:-(

The regular driver was absent, so a relief driver was at the wheel. He abandoned the vehicle after the accident and ran away.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle4852383.ece

Last edited by Gansan : 26th June 2013 at 16:34.
Old 26th June 2013, 18:26   #13502
BHPian

Heard from a news channel that the van driver was speaking in his mobile and lost the control of the vehicle. Poor innocent kid. Let him RIP.
Old 27th June 2013, 04:02   #13503
Distinguished - BHPian

Gansan, so sorry.

And angry. They should not ban manual scavenging: it is the perfect punishment for people who do things like that.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 09:00   #13504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
A boy studying in the same school as my son died this morning after a private van he was travelling in entered the Pallavaram - Thoraipaakkam 200 feet road very fast from the flyover, climbed the median and overturned. Poor child celebrated his birthday just yesterday.:-(

The regular driver was absent, so a relief driver was at the wheel. He abandoned the vehicle after the accident and ran away.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle4852383.ece
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulZire View Post
Heard from a news channel that the van driver was speaking in his mobile and lost the control of the vehicle. Poor innocent kid. Let him RIP.
Very unfortunate. Many times I tend to think that even the over loaded two wheeler (Nano inspirations) are much safer than the school vans as it would be the parents who ride them!

As long as we have drive tests which test the physical abilities (eye sight is probably the only one that is measured the rest are just declarations), with drive tests in slow speed maneuvers only, these disasters are always on cards. Professional drivers (yellow boards) need to be tested for control in high speeds too.

To me, a driver should be allowed when he can assess the vehicle's capabilities along with his own, and stick to the limits. (Is there a way to test this!

Secondly, the penalties for this type accidents are paltry, citing vehicle limitations / over speeding (w r t to the loss caused).

At least, if we have penalties such as revoking driving license permanently for the individual or scrapping the vehicle involved (with no insurance) or some such, there would be some sanity on road!

PS: Few years ago: An auto came down the flyover opp to Chennai central and turned right. The auto driver wanted to beat the signal and came in fast. When turned, the auto over turned, rolled once and came back on wheels. The driver was okay, vehicle had scratches + the covers torn in couple of places. But the poor passengers leg got caught under the auto (spilled on the roll probably) and became bloody mess. (Saw this live!).

Last edited by babu.sundaram : 27th June 2013 at 09:04.
Old 27th June 2013, 10:16   #13505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babu.sundaram View Post
At least, if we have penalties such as revoking driving license permanently for the individual or scrapping the vehicle involved (with no insurance) or some such, there would be some sanity on road!
The driver's license will be suspended for a minimum period of 6 months and a maximum of 3 years by the RTO concerned, if there's a loss of lives in an accident. This, would happen almost immediately after the vehicle is impounded, pending inquiry.

Somebody very close to me has experienced this, for no fault of his - drunkard on foot passed away after hitting the bike, causing damage to the bike as well as to peace of mind of a very sedate rider.

This is how it is in Kerala. Not sure of the other states
Old 27th June 2013, 11:12   #13506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babu.sundaram View Post
Very
Secondly, the penalties for this type accidents are paltry, citing vehicle limitations / over speeding (w r t to the loss caused).

PS: Few years ago: An auto came down the flyover opp to Chennai central and turned right. The auto driver wanted to beat the signal and came in fast. When turned, the auto over turned, rolled once and came back on wheels. The driver was okay, vehicle had scratches + the covers torn in couple of places. But the poor passengers leg got caught under the auto (spilled on the roll probably) and became bloody mess. (Saw this live!).
First - Innumerable educated folks take calls while driving - This is NOT OK.

Second - India is fast turning into a land which does not abide the rules and has no respect for each other. The only thing people understand is money.

I want the fines to be ridiculously high for such people. Any incident - jumping a light, talking on phone (while driving), causing people danger - should warrant a license revoke immediately. Start putting these people in Jail. Even a single night at a prison or a lock up is good enough to put people back to their senses.

No one bothers when Buses (90% of BMTC's jump red lights), TT and private commuters jump signals - When they hit someone doing so - there is a case. Why the difference? One is simply the caouse and other the effect.

The only think people understand is when Police handles them roughly. God what have we become?
pratyush6 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 14:23   #13507
BHPian

Some pictures of an accident that happened this morning in Borivali west IC colony.

A lady in an i10 rammed into a rickshaw. The Rickshaw driver died on the spot. Pictures taken by some local residents.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image1649848736.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image3936572714.jpg  

Old 27th June 2013, 14:27   #13508
Senior - BHPian

OMG!! At what speed was she travelling to have such a huge impact? The auto driver had no chance of survival, had there been any passengers, they would have suffered a similar fate. RIP.
Old 27th June 2013, 14:32   #13509
BHPian

It seems she was learning to drive , the trainer was besides her. We will know the actual story tomorrow in the news papers, I guess

Last edited by Vishbull_6157 : 27th June 2013 at 14:35.
Old 27th June 2013, 14:34   #13510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishbull_6157 View Post
Some pictures of an accident that happened this morning in Borivali west IC colony.

A lady in an i10 rammed into a rickshaw. The Rickshaw driver died on the spot. Pictures taken by some local residents.
OMG Those are horrendous pictures. Look at the Auto. He had no chance of survival. Its been reduced to pulp. Also looks like a head on collision and at crazy speeds.
Old 27th June 2013, 14:45   #13511
BHPian

By looking at the pictures and by going with the story that she was learning, she must have pressed the accelerator instead of brakes while ramming head on into the rickshaw.
Old 27th June 2013, 15:01   #13512
Senior - BHPian

Horrible.

That i10 must be driven at some insane speeds to have caused such damage. I seriously wonder what made that woman driver to drive like that on city roads .

RIP the deceased.
Old 27th June 2013, 16:07   #13513
BHPian

I too think the same, she might slammed the accelerator instead of brake on panic. this happens with most of the learner. Recently my cousin sister rammed her Figo into the compound wall of her apartment complex.

Its always advicable to learn driving via driving school, since the trainer got controls they will take care of this situation.

RIP auto driver.
Old 27th June 2013, 17:56   #13514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishbull_6157 View Post
The shattered parts of the i10, seem to be on the correct side of a double white lined road.Techinically, is the lady at fault here?

Last edited by nijelj : 27th June 2013 at 17:58.
Old 27th June 2013, 18:40   #13515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
The driver's license will be suspended for a minimum period of 6 months and a maximum of 3 years by the RTO concerned, if there's a loss of lives in an accident.
The experienced driver whom the parents knew and trusted for eight years, had been picking up the children from their homes, but handing over the van to a cleaner at a fuel station after the last pick-up, and going on some other errand for the past few days. Rascal.

The idiot who overturned the van and ran away does not have a license. He is yet to be apprehended.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks