Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2013, 13:16   #13531
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
I'm guessing when the rest of us learn lane driving, parking our vehicles properly and keeping the slow lane clear for them to drive
Agree. I would put it as development before civilization . We have big roads, We have cars but we fail to understand & follow the basic rules of driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
It is not, you know. The extreme right lane in a multi-lane carriageway is meant for overtaking and is open to all kinds of allowed traffic on that road. It most definitely is not meant for speed trials.
My point is , when you overtake a vehicle in front of you which is at slow speeds you ALWAYS do it from the RIGHT . Here, when the vehicle ahead of you is already on the right most lane leaving no room for you to overtake or refuses to give you way forcing you to overtake from the wrong side. I am never in favor of cruising at high speeds in the right most lane but at the same time one should not be at slow speeds, and give way to the high speed traffic when required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Also advise them to not make any assumptions while driving on highways. Indian driving public is highly ignorant about traffic rules and etiquette as nobody has taught them. Trust only your eyes, expect the unexpected, maintain safe distances from moving or stationery objects and staying alert is the only way we can survive on our highways.

The right most lane is only for overtaking. No matter how fast you are driving , you should stick to the middle or the left lane. I believe the i20 driver was tailgating a big vehicle and made a blind lane change to overtake that vehicle. There was probably a very slow moving vehicle in the right lane which did not give him enough time to slow down his car. Overloading also probably played its part as the heavier car probably did not respond quickly to the braking input. If he had maintained a good distance from the vehicle in front he would have easily sighted the slow moving vehicle and could have avoided the accident.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 29th June 2013, 13:19   #13532
BHPian

I believe limb movements while driving are controlled by the inside brain. Thats why even if we lose memory we can drive. So a perfect driver who hasnt driven for years shouldnot have any problem driving again and will not do such blunders of pressing accelarator instead of brakes, though he may have problems in judgment in tight spaces like parking, turning, overtaking etc.
Old 29th June 2013, 14:18   #13533
Senior - BHPian

Here's one I spotted on the Mumbra bypass yesterday. Don't know when it took place, though. Windshield glass had scattered right at the speed breaker (frequent travelers will know the notorious speedbreaker which everyone tries to avoid), and the truck was parked a few metres ahead.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc_3513-2-640x426.jpg

On a closer inspection I found the cabin had suffered quite some damage, not immediately visible from the front shot. Don't know about the occupants, although it didn't look fatal.

A couple of days before, just after the Mumbra bypass tollnaka (travelling towards Reti bunder from Kausa), at the very first right-handler, a truck coming from the opposite direction had its cabin over and beyond the divider - effectively creating an L, rammed into the cabin of another truck. Sometimes I just can't understand if these guys are really idiots or are actually very skilled, to get their cabins and vehicles contorted into the various directions.
Old 29th June 2013, 14:33   #13534
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
A permanent driving licence holder who is not confident?!
Of course. Who was confident on their first few drives? I remember passing my test and taking a motorway trip (in UK) a few days later. Confident? I was scared. But how else does one gain confidence, and experience, except by doing.

Quote:
IMO, the RTO officer who passed her in the driving test should be sacked. All the chaos in our country is only because none of these government officer's / bureaucrats are ever held responsible for anything ever.
No, they should not be sacked for this case any more than any of the useless, badly-taught drivers, some of whom have been driving for years and decades before featuring in this thread.

Quote:
For how long should you and me be out of practice to need a instructor to help us get back to driving? Who are we kidding? This is a clear case of a person being issued a licence without any kind of test and therefore the accident that happened. This accident happened due to lack of confidence. A permanent licence holder should never say he needs practice!
Amit, most of what you say is sadly true, and with no hope in sight of any change, but (as per above, the expectations of a new, or out-of-practice driver, are sadly amiss, and we should remember that we were all there once.

If anything was specifically wrong here, it was that this woman was not taught to drive within her feelings of confidence as to speed, etc, and she was probably not taught about lanes and how to handle fast traffic --- but then, who is?

I have much more sympathy for someone like this than for some twenty-something guy who thinks they know it all. And if anyone here takes that personally, then they probably should (oh... that is not aimed at anyone in this conversation.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
The experienced driver whom the parents knew and trusted for eight years, had been picking up the children from their homes, but handing over the van to a cleaner at a fuel station after the last pick-up, and going on some other errand for the past few days. Rascal.

The idiot who overturned the van and ran away does not have a license. He is yet to be apprehended.
The driver is now known to have been 17, not even old enough to be a learner. The worst part is that this is said to have been well known to the van owner.

This thread is very bad for the blood pressure.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 29th June 2013 at 14:42.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2013, 15:33   #13535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The driver is now known to have been 17, not even old enough to be a learner. The worst part is that this is said to have been well known to the van owner.

This thread is very bad for the blood pressure.
As a result of this accident, I have today received an SMS from my son's school as follows:

"To comply with the directions of the Honourable High Court and the rules of the Govt.of Tamil Nadu, Vans will not ply from 1st July till the issue is resolved. Hence you are requested to make your own arrangements. However all classes will be functioning as usual".

Talk of knee-jerk reactions!

Last edited by Gansan : 29th June 2013 at 15:36.
Old 29th June 2013, 16:08   #13536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As per the newspaper's, the lady had a valid permanent driving licence and the instructor was a driver of her neighbour who she asked to come along with her as she was not confident! A permanent driving licence holder who is not confident?!

IMO, the RTO officer who passed her in the driving test should be sacked. All the chaos in our country is only because none of these government officer's / bureaucrats are ever held responsible for anything ever.
Amit,

Completely agree with you - but there are FAR too many people like that. Basically your argument will lead to EVERY single one of the RTO officers in this country being fired.

Except I would request for a bit more reason - it is an unfortunate accident, yes. But the scenario is common and quite understandable. let me throw some light.

Even my own wife - I have trained her (in a similar fashion, but only on empty six land roads, and earlier times) to get her upto speed - she's got a permanent license and had been trained back then. The problem is gurgaon traffic which is simply maddening. Hence despite 1000km of training her over a couple of months - she's sure the hassle of driving is not worth it. So much so that for a recent hectic travel schedule, she managed picking/dropping our 2 year old using only autos over a period of six months. I can imagine as and when she decides to start driving again, she would need some coaching. Just like that lady did.

Life is gray my friend - no blacks or white
Old 30th June 2013, 15:12   #13537
BHPian

A car that met with an accident near Atul Kataria Chowk in Gurgaon on Friday..
Courtesy : Deccan Herald News paper.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-delhiaccident-copy.jpeg  

Old 30th June 2013, 15:26   #13538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_naik View Post
A car that met with an accident near Atul Kataria Chowk in Gurgaon on Friday..
Courtesy : Deccan Herald News paper.
Oh That's near my place. Again this car hitting the pole like this must be the case of some serious speeding and then car getting out of control. And I wonder how one can speed on Atul kataria chowk, traffic is quite dense there
Old 30th June 2013, 19:58   #13539
BHPian

I was witness to an accident yesterday. Well not really an accident I would rather call it a mishap. I was driving from Ludhiana to Ambala on NH1. TBhpians familiar with this part of North India would know that with the ongoing construction of flyovers and widening of NH1, there are a lot of diversions wherein a particularly broad and smooth 3-lane highway gets narrowed down to a single lane road where there is ongoing construction. It was raining heavily, pouring actually. A guy in a Nissan Micra was just ahead of me and must be doing 50-60. I can say this because I was at about 80-90 and gaining on him. There was one of these diversions ahead and the poor chap completely missed the diversion and banged straight into the metal railings and stones blocking the road where the construction was going on. There was no traffic, except me and him, i.e. his was the only car in front of me and it was a easy left. In fact, I said to my mother who was in the passenger seat 2-3 seconds before he hit, that he is going to crash. I saw his front wheels locked complete left and he skidded straight banging himself. There was major front end damage. Poor chap was not hurt as the airbags deployed, but was shaken rather bad.

Now my question, it was a fully loaded version of the Micra, cause if it had airbags, it had to have at least ABS. Now isn't the ABS supposed to kick in particularly in situations like this. I stopped to see if everything was okay and he kept saying brake nahi lagi, meaning there were no brakes. He clearly aquaplaned, but this was a brand new car, temporary registration, so new tires. I was driving my 07 Swift VDi with no ABS or the works and tires which have done approximately 30,000 kms, and was considerably faster than this guy. I had to do a little emergency braking and maneuvering myself, but did not at one moment lose even little traction. So to my question again, ABS didn't work or was it the inexperience of the driver which led to the situation?
Old 30th June 2013, 20:16   #13540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damanshaheed View Post
Now my question, it was a fully loaded version of the Micra, cause if it had airbags, it had to have at least ABS. Now isn't the ABS supposed to kick in particularly in situations like this. I stopped to see if everything was okay and he kept saying brake nahi lagi, meaning there were no brakes. He clearly aquaplaned, but this was a brand new car, temporary registration, so new tires. So to my question again, ABS didn't work or was it the inexperience of the driver which led to the situation?
If it was a diesel version, i think the Micra does not get ABS, only airbag is available.
Old 30th June 2013, 20:49   #13541
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post

If it was a diesel version, i think the Micra does not get ABS, only airbag is available.
True that. Micra diesel comes only with airbags.

It's pretty useless when you dont have ABS for emergency braking.
They should do it the Toyota and Honda way. Liva diesel and Amaze diesel gets ABS+EBD even on the base model.
Airbags are useful only for front end collisions. ABS on the other hand is pretty useful even for slow speeds. According to me, ABS is a lifesaver because it helps you prevent a collision at the first place.
Indian govt. should make ABS,EBD & airbags mandatory like they did in the US.
Old 2nd July 2013, 14:41   #13542
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday noon, I was returning from the B'lore City Railway Station after a small vacation at home. Saw this heavily frontal banged up Sarkaari (Govt) CRV.

The driver was desperately trying to make his away ahead, weaving in and out, changing lanes, jumping signals and what not.
There were no occupants, except the driver, who from his looks, looked like a Driver and not any politician or rich son.

I am not sure, if he had just banged up and was escaping, or was he trying to take it to the Honda A.S.S quickly without getting noticed that its' a Govt. car.

Time: Around 1pm
The auto I took home was taking some other route than my usual route home. So I am a little confused with the location. I saw Basavanagudi from some of the shop boards. Apologies.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20130701_124524.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20130701_124514.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20130701_124516.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20130701_124606.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20130701_124530.jpg

P.S: I have not whitened the plates, since its' a Govt. Vehicle and people have the right to know who's (which minister's) vehicle was it.

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 2nd July 2013 at 14:43.
Old 2nd July 2013, 16:11   #13543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
I think it was a diesel version, although not sure, but petrol versions are very rare in Punjab and Haryana so in all probability it was diesel. I guess that explains it. But then again, what is the point of having airbags and no ABS. IMHO something that saves from an accident happening in the first place is a must have than something which will save you in case of an accident.
Old 2nd July 2013, 16:52   #13544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post

P.S: I have not whitened the plates, since its' a Govt. Vehicle and people have the right to know who's (which minister's) vehicle was it.
It's not a government vehicle. It has a political party symbol on its number plate.

No government vehicle can have any political party symbol anywhere on vehicle.

It must be a private vehicle of some politician like MLA/MP (has a vip number too).
Old 2nd July 2013, 16:57   #13545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Saw this heavily frontal banged up Sarkaari (Govt) CRV.
I know former CM BS Yeddyurappa using a CRV as official vehicle when he was CM. Could be that vehicle. I don't think any other KA politician uses a CRV.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks