Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2013, 12:35   #13636
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
This drunken driving madness has gone too far - spot checks don't solve the entire problem.
For any safety measure to be successful I feel there should be a social acceptance to the same. Driving under influence was not 'considered' a big crime few years back. I remember people bragging that they drive safer when drunk.
The reason - While sober they drive fast, when drunk they slow down. However now days it has slowly become socially unacceptable thing to do, I guess one major reason was the spot checks which drove home the point to all road users.

I agree it does not solve the problem entirely however atleast it is drop in the ocean.
Old 19th July 2013, 19:19   #13637
BHPian

A freak bus- accident in Samoa.

Although unrelated to our country and our drivers, it shows how dangerous is it to drive on a waterlogged road, especially against the current.
Old 19th July 2013, 20:21   #13638
Distinguished - BHPian

Actually, that is across the current, which is indeed very dangerous. The driver was an absolute idiot to try that, and I wonder if anyone survived. I would not have done that in a boat --- and I have done one or daft things in boats.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2013, 22:13   #13639
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_naik View Post
This is NOT "A freak bus- accident in Samoa."
Its actually "A freak causing a bus- accident in Samoa."

Only a complete idiot would do that.
SDP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th July 2013, 00:42   #13640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_naik View Post

Although unrelated to our country and our drivers, it shows how dangerous is it to drive on a waterlogged road, especially against the current.
Quote:
Two girls, aged five and 12, died and 25 people were hurt in the crash with injuries including broken bones.
Read more here: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...#ixzz2ZWNqYuXI
Old 20th July 2013, 07:15   #13641
BHPian

Accidents in India - PICS

Folks,

Just witnessed a horrible accident near my locality in Bangalore. I was riding my bicycle to yoga class in the early morning (around 6 am). I saw a teenage boy riding a motorbike, WITHOUT HELMET, was joining the main road from a sub-road. Another guy, in a scooter, was speeding in the main road, hit this boy from the back. Everything happened in a split second, before I could realize what happened, guy in the scooter sped away! Luckily I could record his scooter’s registration number. There is not much damage to the motorbike, only headlight got damaged. But the boy got thrown away and hit the concrete pavement with his head first. I could see his head severely injured and looks like his spine and hand is also fractured!

I was on my bicycle and did not take my mobile phone. With a help of somebody nearby, we called 108. Not sure whether this is always a good strategy, but I had a very good experience with 108, in a highway accident before. 108 support person told us that ambulance would reach in 10 minutes, but it was getting late and we were loosing precious time. Luckily a police vehicle came by that way and we requested the Sub-Inspector to help. He immediately obliged and took the boy to a nearby hospital. I handed over the registration number, of the guy who hit this boy, to the Sub-Inspector. I hope and pray for the boy's speedy recovery.

Wearing an appropriate helmet would have helped this boy from severe head injury, so please be responsible to yourselves and WEAR A HELMET while riding a two wheeler.

Safe riding/driving.
venks is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 20th July 2013, 09:46   #13642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venks View Post
Wearing an appropriate helmet would have helped this boy from severe head injury, so please be responsible to yourselves and WEAR A HELMET while riding a two wheeler.

Safe riding/driving.
Kudos to what you have done!

Some people learn it hard.. Rather very hard way! Hope nothing major here. If he makes it out, he should first Thank you then his stars.
500ContyCruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2013, 10:17   #13643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks,

Just witnessed a horrible accident near my locality in Bangalore. I was riding my bicycle to yoga class in the early morning (around 6 am). I saw a teenage boy riding a motorbike, WITHOUT HELMET, was joining the main road from a sub-road. Another guy, in a scooter, was speeding in the main road, hit this boy from the back. Everything happened in a split second, before I could realize what happened, guy in the scooter sped away! Luckily I could record his scooter’s registration number. There is not much damage to the motorbike, only headlight got damaged. But the boy got thrown away and hit the concrete pavement with his head first. I could see his head severely injured and looks like his spine and hand is also fractured!

I was on my bicycle and did not take my mobile phone. With a help of somebody nearby, we called 108. Not sure whether this is always a good strategy, but I had a very good experience with 108, in a highway accident before. 108 support person told us that ambulance would reach in 10 minutes, but it was getting late and we were loosing precious time. Luckily a police vehicle came by that way and we requested the Sub-Inspector to help. He immediately obliged and took the boy to a nearby hospital. I handed over the registration number, of the guy who hit this boy, to the Sub-Inspector. I hope and pray for the boy's speedy recovery.

Safe riding/driving.
Kudos to you man - but I hope you were wearing a helmet on the cycle as well!
phamilyman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2013, 20:54   #13644
BHPian

Yet again , Yamuna Expressway in the news for wrong reasons!

- 2 Accidents on expressway.
- 2 school bus collide at sector 50-51 crossing.
- A girl dies after trailer reversing hit an electric pole.
- Speeding truck overturns,kills 2.
Source:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/21179848.cms
Old 20th July 2013, 21:15   #13645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
Yet again , Yamuna Expressway in the news for wrong reasons!
I guess the Yamuna expressway will meet the same fate as Mumbai-Pune expressway. The trend they are following are very similar.
I won't be surprised to see the police checking the toll receipts at both end of this road.

Thanks,

Simple_car
Old 20th July 2013, 22:53   #13646
BHPian

On July 07th (Sunday) between 9.30 PM - 10.00 PM, there was an accident in front of the City Hospital (West of Chord Road), Bangalore. It was my uncle who was riding back to his home, after crossing a speed breaker he continued towards the underpass, unfortunately he lost control of his scooter (Suzuki Access) and fell towards his right hitting his head to an Electric Pole in the median. His Helmet was thrown away and caused severe head injuries. People gathered and none dared to help the wounded. He was lying unconscious in the pool of blood and got no help for almost 15 - 20 minutes, later a biker dared to pickup my Uncle and took him to the City Hospital where he was declared critical and sent to Fortis Hospital. Doctors in Fortis found huge Blood Loss and breathing was reducing and in no time he was declared DEAD. Later a case was registered at the local Police station and was declared as Self Accident - caused due to loss of control of the vehicle.

I myself inspected the spot and the accident spot is approx 100 mtrs from the speed breaker and there is no way to gain speed on an Suzuki access in just 100 mtrs, nor can think of a Hit an Run as there was no damage to his scooter at the rear or the left hand side. There are few scratches at the right hand side caused when the scooter rubbed the median.

Does any of out Team-bhpians seen or heard about this accident? please help to provide any details of the Incident.

Its a Huge Loss for our Family, May his soul RIP.

Source - (http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...dian-dies.html)
Old 21st July 2013, 08:39   #13647
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhargava_sr View Post
Its a Huge Loss for our Family, May his soul RIP.
Hey Bhargava, really sad news. May he rest in peace. Was it raining when the accident happened?
Old 21st July 2013, 10:00   #13648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
I won't be surprised to see the police checking the toll receipts at both end of this road.
It won't be required. The entire Expressway is lined with metal beam crash barrier on both sides and wire fencing,so there is no chance of one entering/exiting the e-way without the dedicated entrance/exit.

The entrance/exits within the first 38 kms from Greater Noida and the last 15 kms towards Agra of the entire E-way is toll free.

Traffic police can do nothing but to check for drivers driving under the influence of alcohol at the exit points.
Old 21st July 2013, 13:54   #13649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhargava_sr View Post
I myself inspected the spot and the accident spot is approx 100 mtrs from the speed breaker and there is no way to gain speed on an Suzuki access in just 100 mtrs, nor can think of a Hit an Run as there was no damage to his scooter at the rear or the left hand side. There are few scratches at the right hand side caused when the scooter rubbed the median.
Very sorry for your loss. There is a possibility that the scooter might have swerved to avoid something (eg. speeding vehicles, vehicle in the opposite direction). But however it happened, may his soul rest in piece.
Old 21st July 2013, 17:40   #13650
BHPian

Quote:
Folks,

Safe riding/driving.
Your good efforts are appreciable.

However, at the risk of sounding like a heartless person, I might add that the teenage boy fully deserved what he got.

Why? Well..
1) He was not wearing a helmet
2) I can imagine how he would have joined the main road from the side road - like 99% of bikers in the country, he would have just sped onto it without so much as a glance in the direction of oncoming traffic.
3) Teenage boy? Hmm... sounds like he was riding without a license.

When will people learn?
EagleEye is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks