Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2013, 18:07   #13651
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
Your good efforts are appreciable.

However, at the risk of sounding like a heartless person, I might add that the teenage boy fully deserved what he got.

Why? Well..
1) He was not wearing a helmet
2) I can imagine how he would have joined the main road from the side road - like 99% of bikers in the country, he would have just sped onto it without so much as a glance in the direction of oncoming traffic.
3) Teenage boy? Hmm... sounds like he was riding without a license.

When will people learn?
And this comment is really shocking! YOu weren't even there! . And a license-carrying teenager can be 19 years old, no? Oh, and hit-and -run is illegal , even if the scooterist ( who may not have a license either) runs over Dawood !
john doe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2013, 19:05   #13652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Hey Bhargava, really sad news. May he rest in peace. Was it raining when the accident happened?
@ Vikaram - It was'nt raining, The road was very neat, no mud or any obstacles what so ever.

@ - prithviq8 - The lane was one way, so no chance of vehicles coming in the opp direction, and what i guess is there is no chance of vehicles speeding there was there is a huge speed breaker just 100 meters before the accident spot. All vehicles has to take the speed breaker to cross this spot.
Old 21st July 2013, 19:16   #13653
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
However, at the risk of sounding like a heartless person, I might add that the teenage boy fully deserved what he got.
Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
And this comment is really shocking! YOu weren't even there! .
I can relate to the thought process of eagle eye. As a doctor we frequently see bikers specially youngsters coming in with serious injuries after an RTA and many a times the feeling of " You had it coming dude" creeps in and you just feel anger directed against the patient for having put his family etc through this ordeal. And yes the victim might not be at fault behind the accident but witnessing almost 90% of youngsters ride recklessly on there bikes every day, one starts to feel frustrated. They possibly are too careless to judge the after effects of an accident, just like in this case: Head injuries and spine fractures mean months in the hospital, painful surgeries, lot of money and a very long recovery period.
drmohitg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2013, 19:28   #13654
BHPian

I am very sad to hear about your uncle passing away. I also hope that your family finds the strength to pass this difficult phase.
I just had the very first scooter ride in my life today and I absolutely loved it so reading this is depressing :(
Old 21st July 2013, 21:03   #13655
BHPian

Witnessed a accident and luckily no one was injured, but it would have been very nasty.

Was driving sedately on banergatta road on middle lane, had a duster on my right a bit further. A two wheeler overtakes me on my left and is moving toward the middle lane as there is a white punto parked on the left side.

Out of the blue the rear door of the punto opens,
The two wheeler hits the door and falls in my path, I was about 10 -15 feet away and was able to break and stop. The two wheeler rider is thrown away and he comes in the path of the duster, who was also able to break and avoid hitting the rider. The rider has not worn his helmet properly and it fly's and hits the divider. He luckily is unhurt and gets up immediately.

What hurt me most is, I see a teenage girl stepping out of the car with a smile on her face and has no regrets on what she has just caused and I think she just did not understand how bad things would have been if myself and the driver of duster had not been able to stop in time at a safe distance without running over the two wheeler rider.
cannon is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st July 2013, 21:38   #13656
Senior - BHPian

Scary indeed! Having seen such accidents live I'm always wary of opening doors of parked vehicles! As a rule I don't allow passengers in my car to disembark on the right if there is traffic and I myself never open my door without a all clear in the ORVM!

I was almost that biker couple of years back!
Old 21st July 2013, 23:38   #13657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Kudos to you man - but I hope you were wearing a helmet on the cycle as well!
Usually I wear a helmet while riding my bicycle, on that day I was getting late for the class and I did not wear ! This accident had a strong message for me as well, decided never to venture out in my bicycle without helmet in any case.

Thanks
venks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2013, 00:32   #13658
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
... I myself never open my door without a all clear in the ORVM!
Me neither. I don't want my door damaged by people who don't know that there is an invisible "safety line" and you should never drive any closer to another vehicle. A biker that drives into an opening door is partly at fault.

I'm very careful, too, when walking past occupied, parked vehicles.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2013, 12:36   #13659
Senior - BHPian

Hello All,

One more unfortunate death in Mumbai (Thane) due to bad roads:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/21231464.cms

Mrs. Asha Damdare, 48 year old lady died after falling from her two wheeler (Honda Activa) while negotiating pot holes on Vasai railway bridge. Luckily the passenger, her daughter escaped the accident with minor injuries.

While the mother & daughter were not wearing helmets, police has booked Mrs. Asha for negligent driving. Wonder why the authorities do not book road contractors for poor roads?

Thanks,
Old 23rd July 2013, 01:12   #13660
BHPian

Today morning a terrible accident took place near Bijapur, Karnataka between a private bus and a Cruiser (Force motors). According to the local news channel TV9, 17 people had died till today evening. All of them were from Sangli in Maharashtra and were returning after having the darshan at ganagapur in Gulbarga district of Karnataka. Pic courtesy: TV9 Kannada.

The private bus was going from Bijapur to Gulbarga.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc_0081.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc_0083.jpg

The cruiser was unrecognizable.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc_0107.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc_0114.jpg

Looking at the state of the cruiser, I am scared to think what would have happened if it was a delicate MUV like ertiga.
n_naik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 08:33   #13661
Senior - BHPian

TOI reports the so called SUV as Land Cruiser on the front page, but in the picture in page five it looks like a Force people mover.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image3693900817.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image2686385947.jpg
IronH4WK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 10:00   #13662
Senior - BHPian

No pics from my side, but was involved in a freak incident this morning on my way to work. Due to all the BRTS work on Nagar road, the carriagewidth is now reduced to 2 lanes. A third one is usually created on the left by people in more of a hurry.
I was in my Nano in the original left (but now center, due to more vehicles on the left) waiting to go straight. To my right there was a queue of vehicles waiting to turn right. As traffic moved forward at 15 kmph in my lane, I moved ahead in first gear with the usual stop start routine.

A Scorpio in the right lane perhaps wanted to get into the center lane behind me and swerved accordingly. I don’t know what he did, but it must have been a misjudgement on his part because the left part of his front bumper scratched the Nano’s rear passenger door (driver side). His bumper then got entangled in the rubber type vent (aerodynamic thingy?) that is provided in the Nano rear doors. I signaled him to wait so I could reverse/ forward and take it out for him. To have a better look I rolled down the driver window. In the meanwhile, somebody was trying to open the passenger side front door. I usually lock the doors centrally and all windows are rolled up (courtesy incidents I have read here!)

Within the next fraction of a second another guy in dark glasses (same shade as his skintone I guess) jumped to my side of the Nano and started abusing me. I was trying to calm him down and tried to explain that I could get the car out, though I knew it was his mistake. But he got even more aggressive and knocked my ORVM off with his hand. When he reached the abuse list with my family members, I got so mad at him that I felt like getting out and punching him in the face. But though there was a police station right across the road, better sense prevailed. I rolled up the window and while these morons started hitting on the windows, I revved up and zoomed away. The bumper which was stuck in the vent came off and when I looked in the rear view mirror, they were trying to figure out the damage while the other cars behind them honked away to glory.

Points to note:
No one at that intersection came over to quieten these goons though it was obviously their mistake, not even the cops across the corner.

I don’t know if I should have stayed, but at that moment I thought it was better to get away even if it meant a dent on my car. Especially as both the guys were out and it would have taken time for them, even to catch up with me. If it got worse, I thought I would park near the police station and wait inside the car till help arrived.

When I reached my office parking lot and inspected the damage, I was surprised to see that there was only one tiny scratch, which could be masked by those scratch removal pens. No other damage to the Nano other than the lost ORVM. But the Scorpio bumper was off.

I always wondered why that vent was created, but though it caused the incident in the first place, a sadistic part of me is glad and hopes that it caused some reasonable expense to that moron.

Last edited by selfdrive : 23rd July 2013 at 10:02.
selfdrive is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 10:30   #13663
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
No pics from my side, but was involved in a freak incident this morning on my--------------------------------SNIP------------------- that vent was created, but though it caused the incident in the first place, a sadistic part of me is glad and hopes that it caused some reasonable expense to that moron.
This is just sort of reinforcing teh scorpio stereotype, isnt it?

That vent, isnt it the intake for the engine?
Its scooped right into the structure of the car, probably thats why it came out on top against the fender. It may be a tall ask, but i hope the guysrealize that had they not hassled you, you would have managed to get the car off without breaking it off.
mayankk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 10:39   #13664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
TOI reports the so called SUV as Land Cruiser on the front page, but in the picture in page five it looks like a Force people mover.
What is the seating capacity of a Force Motors Cruiser?
Old 23rd July 2013, 11:09   #13665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeev1 View Post

What is the seating capacity of a Force Motors Cruiser?
I have seen over 15 people seating in cruiser many times here in Delhi.
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks