Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2013, 23:50   #13741
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

h@r$h@l, commiserations on your accident and your dealer experience ...but here it will be just one accident lost among the many. As your experience of the brand and the dealer, and as an ongoing story, it deserves a thread of its own. It would be nice if you could arrange that with the mods?
Old 4th August 2013, 00:05   #13742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
h@r$h@l, commiserations on your accident and your dealer experience ...but here it will be just one accident lost among the many. As your experience of the brand and the dealer, and as an ongoing story, it deserves a thread of its own. It would be nice if you could arrange that with the mods?
If you're referring to that Duster accident, then it's not the harshal's car, which met with the accident. It's one of the guys from delhi, who is fed up with the dealer and has taken this matter on fb and social sites now.
Old 4th August 2013, 01:44   #13743
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh, sorry. I missed this vital bit of the post <Blush>

Quote:
Found this on FB
Old 5th August 2013, 07:38   #13744
Senior - BHPian

In two separate accidents - taken from today's Deccan Herald, Bangalore edition -

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image3595730786.jpg

Sad :(
Old 5th August 2013, 11:22   #13745
Senior - BHPian

Kalgi’s son gets drunk, rams car into metal pole

Kalgi’s son gets drunk, rams car into metal pole

TIMES NEWS NETWORK

Ahmedabad: 21-year-old Daksh lost control over his car and hit a power pole and then a signboard near Shivranjani Crossroads early on Sunday morning. Police identified Daksh as the son of Gujarat’s betting kingpin, Dinesh Kalgi. Cops have booked Daksh for drunken driving and damaging public property.

According to police, Daksh Thakkar, a second-year commerce student at a city college and resident of Paldi, was returning home from SG Road at 3 am. While crossing Maruti Complex near Shivranjani Crossroads, he lost control over his vehicle and hit an electricity pole on the footpath. In an attempt to get away from the spot, Daksh tried to take a sharp turn but the car turned turtle. The vehicle dragged on the road for 15 feet, damaging a signboard on the way.

“A team of Home Guard jawans deployed near the crossroads had seen the car coming at great speed and were about to start on a chase when they heard the crash. One of the jawans checked on Daksh who had received a few bruises. He was reeking of alcohol and was apparently sloshed. He was brought out of the upturned car and was taken to a nearby clinic for treatment before being arrested,” said a police official.

Police said Daksh had not been found involved in any other criminal activity so far. Dinesh Thakkar, alias Kalgi, was detained a number of times recently for his stake in Sudama Resorts and in several smaller clubs known to be gambling dens and part of betting networks.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-verna.jpg

Source : http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Defau...&ViewMode=HTML

In Ahmedabad Mirror too

Daksh was driving a black Maruti Verna.

http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Defau...&ViewMode=HTML

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 5th August 2013 at 11:24.
h@r$h@l is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2013, 11:33   #13746
BHPian

And yet again, an accident involving a politician and a fortuner !!!!
On sunday, a 52 year old Congress leader from Sirsi, Karnataka lost his life when he lost control of his Toyota Fortuner.

Read more about that here

It can be recalled that last year too a congress leader in Karnataka had lost his life when he lost control of his fortuner.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-sirsi_leader_accident_4_1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-sirsi_leader_accident_4_4.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-sirsi_leader_accident_4_5.jpg  

Last edited by n_naik : 5th August 2013 at 11:35.
n_naik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2013, 13:35   #13747
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_naik View Post
And yet again, an accident involving a politician and a fortuner !!!!
On sunday, a 52 year old Congress leader from Sirsi, Karnataka lost his life when he lost control of his Toyota Fortuner.

It can be recalled that last year too a congress leader in Karnataka had lost his life when he lost control of his fortuner.
Looking at the condition of the wreck, one thing is for sure that the SUV was travelling at a very high speed. My condolences, but I think a large population in this country thinks that SUVs are built to travel at such high speeds. They are simply not versed at all about the instability and lots of body roll that SUVs inherently bring. Hence, many people unknowingly push them off their limits, right into the territory of Sedans.

I know a lot of people who bought SUVs like Bolero, Scorpio, Safari etc. because they 'travel often on highways'!

Last edited by saket77 : 5th August 2013 at 13:37.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2013, 20:17   #13748
Senior - BHPian

The dreaded happened! My punto got rear ended today evening! Happened near Allalasandra railway gate, near yelahanka. This stretch is a 2 lane divided stretch just before the railway crossing while coming from the city, where I was cruising at around 30-35kmph. Suddenly, a moron ahead of me driving a black zen slammed his brakes, perhaps seeing an opportunity to take a U Turn! I had to brake, albeit moderately because I was at sufficient distance from him. But a red qualis who I presume was following me too close did not anticipate my braking and rammed my car from behind. I was shaken by the impact, but regained control and stopped the car. Since the stretch is single lane on one side, I did not want to block the road and asked the qualis driver to park after the railway gate to talk. Both of us parked on the wider stretch of the road, and then started the drama. The qualis was fully loaded, with 5 men and one lady. All of them together surrounded me and started arguing that it is my mistake and he hit me because I had braked hard, and started demanding compensation from me. It was literally one man (me) against 4 men who looked nothing short of rowdies + a highly agitated lady. Meanwhile, I checked the damage on my car and found that there was nothing major apart from a couple of minor dents - one on the boot door and one on the bumper, and some small scratches. I also realized that my reverse camera had also taken a hit and was damaged. The qualis did get some damage- a couple of dents on the bumper and a moderate sized dent on the bonnet just above the headlamp. The bonnet had opened up upon impact which could be fixed back into place.
After arguing for some time, I realized it is of no use talking to those morons and chose to get away from the scene without arguing further.

The pictures below:
dents on the circled area
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-acc1.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-acc2.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-acc3.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-acc4.jpg

the damaged camera
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-acc5.jpg

On a positive side, I feel I got away with much lesser damage than I initially anticipated after the hit! Punto's rock solid build did save the day.
Old 5th August 2013, 20:39   #13749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Ohhh, Thank God, a Politician died !!
I thought I'll give this chap the benefit of doubt. So did some googling, and came up with this (among others):

http://www.sahilonline.org/english/n...id=1&nid=17663

http://myneta.info/karnataka2013/can...ndidate_id=422

(The vehicles listed in the second link doesn't have this particular Fortuner, incidentally)
Old 5th August 2013, 20:52   #13750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I thought I'll give this chap the benefit of doubt. So did some googling, and came up with this (among others):
http://myneta.info/karnataka2013/can...ndidate_id=422
(The vehicles listed in the second link doesn't have this particular Fortuner, incidentally)
That's an interesting website !! But, well, all that is listed here on this website is Legal.
Was the Fortuner "Legal" ?
I wonder whether his family will ever be able to claim insurance on that vehicle ?

P.S: Jokes apart, due respect to the person dead in the Fortuner accident. I hope I am not victimized for debating on a political figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
The dreaded happened! My punto got rear ended today evening! ..... Punto's rock solid build did save the day.
Well, the damage looks minimal, atleast from the images. Punto build quality definitely takes the cake !!
A really bad timing for BHPians. Arun, Me, PapaBravo and now You !!
Old 5th August 2013, 21:11   #13751
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, the damage looks minimal, atleast from the images.
A really bad timing for BHPians. Arun, Me, PapaBravo and now You !!
Thankfully yes, damage is minimal, but a new reverse camera would set me back by around 1000-1500 Rs. Also, just noted that the bumper is misaligned slightly! I will have to drive around in the same condition for the next couple of days before I can take it to the FASS. Would this have any impact on the bumper? Hope it would not come off while going through a rough patch.
Old 5th August 2013, 21:19   #13752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Yesterday I lost one my close friends Harish in a terrible road accident.
His mistake-he was following rules!
After years of following rules and looking like an 'idiot' that stops for a red, I seem to have evolved (given up). From stopping for an amber, I have slowly moved on to waving a stop hand signal and pulling up to the left most of the road at a signal. Always watchful for our educated or otherwise but Smart Indians to do a magic act.

My parents taught me to follow rules. Oflate I do feel like an idiot stopping for red, getting to learn new swear words by some share Khan (auto wallah) or our own MTC threatening to run me down. What is worse is Ive had a lot of educated mnc class jumping sigs and almost running me down with others.

I think about only 10% follow traffic rules in chennai and they are will be the surviving idiots.

How about free for all?

Is there a thread on buying a bus for personal transport... MTC colours would just do fine.
YaeJay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2013, 21:43   #13753
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Thankfully yes, damage is minimal, but a new reverse camera would set me back by around 1000-1500 Rs. Also, just noted that the bumper is misaligned slightly! I will have to drive around in the same condition for the next couple of days before I can take it to the FASS. Would this have any impact on the bumper? Hope it would not come off while going through a rough patch.
Hmm, for the rear camera its a pain again shelling out 1500 bucks.

The misaligned bumper won't be any problem. Its basically held to the body using clips (4 of them probably). May be one of those clips have come off or broken. That won't cause the bumper to fall off. So you can drive around for another couple of days. But better to get it fixed at the first opportunity / free time. Another thing I observed is there is minimal paint damage also (Touchwood). Lucky you.

On the other hand, I haven't got a chance to get my bumper dent removed yet. I tried to push the fiber from inside the bumper, but its too hard. Have spoken to a FNG (200mts from my house). Will take the car to him sometime and get it fixed.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2013, 22:08   #13754
BHPian

Quote:

Hmm, for the rear camera its a pain again shelling out 1500 bucks.

The misaligned bumper won't be any problem. Its basically held to the body using clips (4 of them probably). May be one of those clips have come off or broken. That won't cause the bumper to fall off. So you can drive around for another couple of days. But better to get it fixed at the first opportunity / free time. Another thing I observed is there is minimal paint damage also (Touchwood). Lucky you.

On the other hand, I haven't got a chance to get my bumper dent removed yet. I tried to push the fiber from inside the bumper, but its too hard. Have spoken to a FNG (200mts from my house). Will take the car to him sometime and get it fixed.
You will have to heat the bumper a bit and try pushing it. It wont get back to its position with just the push.
pulsarmaniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2013, 11:30   #13755
BHPian

Even as the Noida Authority is yet to take any action on the preliminary report submitted by Central Road Research Institute (CRRI) - which strongly said overspeeding cars and light commercial vehicles are the main culprits for crashes on the Noida-Greater Noida expressway - a four-vehicle pile-up was witnessed on Monday. The accident left five people seriously injured, one of whom has been put on life support.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-getimage.jpg

Source:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/21638101.cms

Most Viewed