Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2013, 18:18   #13816
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

How can people not notice a blaring train running at you at full tilt? I can understand a herd of cows or buffaloes being run over. But people?? Someone must have jumped down to cross and others would have followed like a herd. Don't think the train's hooter was malfunctioning as there's no mention of it anywhere in the news reports.

And then both the Central and state Govts. rush in to announce exgratia to the kins of victims. I didn't know you get compensation for committing suicide.

Apparently some 15,000 people die crossing the railway tracks every year in our country. . Recently read a news report that a teenager was run over on the tracks when he was crossing the tracks listening to music wearing ear phones via the mobile phone. How careless is that?!!!

The word 'safety' should be deleted from all our dictionaries as it seems to have lost its meaning in our country.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 20th August 2013 at 18:21.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 18:34   #13817
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

Son of a policeman knocks down to women labourers near APMC Market in Vashi (Navi Mumbai). One of the two women died while other is seriously injured & admitted at Fortis Hospital in Vashi.

The driver of the car (Ravindra Kadam) is out on bail & the hospital bill of injured victim is running in lacs of Rupees, which the driver is refusing to pay.

Source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/21926620.cms

Thanks,
Old 20th August 2013, 20:41   #13818
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
How can people not notice a blaring train running at you at full tilt? I can understand a herd of cows or buffaloes being run over. But people?? Someone must have jumped down to cross and others would have followed like a herd. Don't think the train's hooter was malfunctioning as there's no mention of it anywhere in the news reports.
My impression from the somewhat sketchy news reports is that the people were walking on a third track between two stationary trains. Hardly a sensible place to be, but there was nowhere for them to escape to. I think it is alleged that the train did not use the horn.
Old 21st August 2013, 07:19   #13819
Team-BHP Support

Shared by bhpian Amogh. Accident happened on a highway in Gujarat.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_1942.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_1943.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_1944.jpg
Old 21st August 2013, 07:23   #13820
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I think it is alleged that the train did not use the horn.

From what news I read/heard, it was some occasion at the nearby temple to which the closest travel point is this station, and there is no road connectivity. Hence, huge numbers were present at the station at the time and two passengers(local trains) were halted on the loop lines(middle line) and the through line was left empty for the express to pass through.
A load of pilgrims got down of the stopped local on the non-platform side and started walking on the through line singing and praising with loud drumming from a band along with them which apparently led them not to hear the train approaching.

A train approaching at 80kmph cannot be stopped in few hundred meters and I am sure the Loco pilot would have slammed the brakes when he saw the huge crowd along with frantic honking. Blasting the two horns of a loco together is actually quite loud to be heard more than a km away especially in a silent area.

The only mistake I can see that the Railways did was they did not halt the Express train outside the station or let it pass through caution(amber signal). Normally when a local train stops at a station and a express is expected on the opposite line, the local train is delibrately halted before the station till the express passes.

Sad case for the Loco pilots, they are battling for life after being bashed up ruthlessly by people who in the first place had no business being on the tracks.

Regards
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 09:50   #13821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Shared by bhpian Amogh. Accident happened on a highway in Gujarat.

Attachment 1127432

Attachment 1127430

Attachment 1127431
The combination of bad roads, rain and overspeeding seems to have caused this. Surprisingly the shell looks completely intact with not even a dent! Was wondering if GJ 6 TC is a temporary Registration series being given at Baroda ?
Old 21st August 2013, 10:10   #13822
Distinguished - BHPian

GJ 6 is from Vadodara (Baroda). Which highway did this happen. I wont be surprised if this is NH8.
Old 21st August 2013, 10:53   #13823
BHPian

This happened yesterday. My City was parked on the side of the road (with the driver sitting inside) and got brushed by a Scorpio attempting a U-turn. The front-left door cannot be opened since it's front edge is fouling with the fender (the fender has been pushed in). As it turns out, my Dad knows the person who owns the Scorpio! Though it was being driven by their driver at the time of this incident. A phone call to them has ensured the driver is in for a good lashing when he got back to their residence.

As a quick fix, my neighbour's driver undid the panel inside the wheel-well and pushed out the dent using a piece of wood, such that the front door now opens perfectly! (God bless our desi-juggad). The repair isn't workshop-like finish, but is enough to be unnoticeable from a distance. Will send the car to the work-shop later when required.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image.jpeg  

Old 21st August 2013, 10:59   #13824
BHPian

Lately I have heard a lot of incidents involving a fortuner turning turtle. Combination of high speed, feeling of being invincible in a SUV and gross underestimation of vehicles handling capability.

My innova turned turtle at just 80kmph on national 8A at baroda on a dry sunny day just because it was made to change direction twice under panic situation. Yes even on the Innova the shell was intact and airbags deployed.
tazmaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 11:04   #13825
BHPian

11 people in a swift !!

The news says its a swift, but I don't know how it can hold 11 people

Quote:
Car carrying 11 rams bus, 4 die
TIMES NEWS NETWORK

Chikkaballapur: A speeding car carrying 11 people, including three children, rammed a parked KSRTC bus, killing the driver, his wife and two other women on National Highway-7 near Doddapayalagurki in Chikkaballapur on Tuesday afternoon. All the 11 belonged to one family.
The accident occurred when Zakeer, 38, tried to slow down his Maruti Swift car after seeing a group of people, including children, crossing the road. But instead of pressing the brakes, he stepped on the accelerator and sent the car crashing against the parked bus. Zakeer, his wife Salma (36), Zafrina (45) and Fathima (28), died instantly. They were all residents of Kanakapura. Police said the bus was on its way from Chikkaballapur to Gudibanda on the Bangalore-Hyderabad highway and had stopped at Doddapayalagurki gate for passengers to alight. The family was on its way to a dargah in Andhra Pradesh.
source : ToI
ankan.m.blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 15:26   #13826
BHPian

Re: 11 people in a swift !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
The news says its a swift, but I don't know how it can hold 11 people
It indeed was a swift. And even the local tv channels reported that there were 11 people in the car. You can clearly see how the car went under the bus.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc_0066.jpg

The rear of the bus. The bus suffered minimal damage.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc_0055.jpg
Old 21st August 2013, 15:40   #13827
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_naik View Post
The rear of the bus. The bus suffered minimal damage.
It seems like there was no proper crash-absorbing bumper on the rear of the bus. Whatever we can call a bumper was too high for Swift, which ended up taking all the impact on its A-pillars.

Probably the car driver himself was fighting for shoulder and elbow space, with 3 children and 7 grown-ups trying to push him to his right. Quite a likely scenario when kids are made to stand between the two front seats, just behind the gear lever.

By the way, does insurance cover such damages when there are far more occupants in the car than permitted?
Old 21st August 2013, 16:24   #13828
Distinguished - BHPian

Overloading & rash driving at the same time? I am sorry for the deceased but it was like asking for it...more like a suicide. Though, I still cannot visualize 11 people in a car, even if a few of them were kids.
Add to it that the driver was not competent, as the report reads that the guy pressed accelerator in place of brakes?
Old 21st August 2013, 16:31   #13829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
By the way, does insurance cover such damages when there are far more occupants in the car than permitted?
As far as I know, third-party claims do not depend on whether the vehicle was being driven legally or not. The insurance company has to pay up. There are any number of MACT/superior court judgments in this regard.

What the insurer can do is to pay up first, and then take the vehicle owner (the one who bought the insurance) to court for violating policy conditions. In this case, it appears that the owner is among those who died?

Of course, the insurer will not pay for repairs to this vehicle (assuming someone makes a claim).
Old 21st August 2013, 16:39   #13830
BHPian

What must have been the speed of the Car? How far the Car must have been from the bus at the moment when he pressed the Accelerator accidentally?

Pressing the Accelerator accidentally is not what is expected from a skilled/experienced driver(That too on a highway)

May the deceased rest in peace.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks