Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2013, 12:50   #13966
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
That looks bad! Do you happen to know what exactly happened? The damage seems mostly on the left side, did they hit something stationary?

About the people still critical, hope they make it through.
Dry Ice, you are right the vehicle hit the embankment wall of a culvert. He was tailgating a Bus at about 120 + speeds on a four lane highway , it was night time and suddenly without any indication the road changed from 4 lane to 2 lane.As the bus severed to the left he thought he had to pass by , he accelerated further and before he could realize he was facing a truck head on. To save a frontal hit he severed to the left when he realized he was going into a deep ditch filled with water with likelihood of everyone drowning, being monsoon time . Somehow he managed to get the vehicle back on to the road and to kill his speed hit the wall on the culvert , the result is for all to see . Latest news says that the critical friend will pull through by Gods grace , but unfortunately with no left foot apart from his other serious injuries.
Old 8th September 2013, 13:44   #13967
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjz View Post
He was tailgating a Bus at about 120 + speeds on a four lane highway , it was night time and suddenly without any indication the road changed from 4 lane to 2 lane.As the bus severed to the left he thought he had to pass by , he accelerated further and before he could realize he was facing a truck head on. To save a frontal hit he severed to the left when he realized he was going into a deep ditch filled with water with likelihood of everyone drowning, being monsoon time . Somehow he managed to get the vehicle back on to the road and to kill his speed hit the wall on the culvert , the result is for all to see . Latest news says that the critical friend will pull through by Gods grace , but unfortunately with no left foot apart from his other serious injuries.
Mate, this is terrible, the NH 24 is very deceptive as its being constructed hence there are many diversions too also in night its all the more dangerous and the speed too adds to the disaster. I too had a near miss on NH24 in july 2013 while coming from Bareilly (UP). My driver missed a diversion and at a speed of 100kmph he just turned the car to left and it merely missed hitting the divider by 1 or 2 inch. I was so furious that I fired him from the job that very evening after reaching noida.

AD
ad3952n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2013, 14:12   #13968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
Mate, this is terrible, the NH 24 is very deceptive as its being constructed hence there are many diversions too also in night its all the more dangerous and the speed too adds to the disaster. I too had a near miss on NH24 in july 2013 while coming from Bareilly (UP). My driver missed a diversion and at a speed of 100kmph he just turned the car to left and it merely missed hitting the divider by 1 or 2 inch. I was so furious that I fired him from the job that very evening after reaching noida.

AD
True ad395n , for that matter any road under construction , is a disaster waiting to happen. The contractors being what they are , never put enough or proper warning / indications to inform people. Though that is no excuse to drive at high or insane speeds on such roads and blame the contractors for the accident. Also its my personal opinion that generally when driving at night specially late nights when ones reflexes are slow to react driving at high speeds is not at all advisable, Also on unknown roads I always prefer to keep my speeds low so that I am well prepared for any eventuality.

Last edited by sanjz : 8th September 2013 at 14:14. Reason: spell check
Old 8th September 2013, 18:37   #13969
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
He was tailgating a Bus at about 120 + speeds on a four lane highway
Latest news says that the critical friend will pull through by Gods grace , but unfortunately with no left foot apart from his other serious injuries.
Sorry to hear about your friend.

About the whole scenario, that's a pretty scary situation to be in. I think tailing the bus closely coupled with high speed did him in. This just reaffirms the common belief on the forum, our highways are not yet safe for triple digit speeds.
Old 8th September 2013, 22:08   #13970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
I have posed this question to friends and relatives in Kerala and am yet to get a sensible answer.

If only champions of democracy such as these could be inspired to support the fight against rash driving.
And see what happens in turn!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...a-roads-3.html
Old 8th September 2013, 23:38   #13971
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariendj View Post
A Neeta luxury bus spun out of control, drove over a divider and hit an Innova car on the Nashik-Mumbai highway on Saturday evening, killing nine people and injuring 20.

http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/18859...ay-9-left-dead
They should also arrest the bloody biker. These two wheelers really do not have sense and they are utter nonsense on highways.

Today I was traveling from Bangalore to Hubli on NH4. While approaching Haveri junction, I moved to left lane as people wanted to take right turn. (Enter Haveri town) There was a two wheeler on left lane going at a snail speed. Donno what happened.. Without looking left / right / behind, he came to complete halt.

Upon approaching the junction, I had cut down my speed.. So was able to avoid him. Else my I would be in different situation now.

Gawd (God) only knows when these two wheelers get some sense!

Another thing I have noticed, moment these two wheelers notice a fast moving vehicle (atleast compared to them), they tend to race against it. More over they do not wear helmet.
Old 9th September 2013, 00:09   #13972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
These two wheelers really do not have sense and they are utter nonsense on highways.

There was a two wheeler on left lane going at a snail speed. Donno what happened.. Without looking left / right / behind, he came to complete halt.

I had cut down my speed.. So was able to avoid him. Else my I would be in different situation now.

Gawd (God) only knows when these two wheelers get some sense!

Another thing I have noticed, moment these two wheelers notice a fast moving vehicle (atleast compared to them), they tend to race against it. More over they do not wear helmet.
The thoughts shared by you buddy are a nightmare for the motorists pan-india. Take for instance UP, Delhi/NCR i bet you cannot protect your vehicle from being scratched or hit by a 2 wheeler. And if you are in for worst you may end up in a accident trying to save a biker. And +1 for your last view, its very much prevailing.

I believe, by speeding and not wearing helmets they try be like famous bollywood biker but forget that the stunts and speed in there are controlled by professionals.

thanks

AD
Old 9th September 2013, 04:03   #13973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post

The thoughts shared by you buddy are a nightmare for the motorists pan-india. Take for instance UP, Delhi/NCR i bet you cannot protect your vehicle from being scratched or hit by a 2 wheeler. And if you are in for worst you may end up in a accident trying to save a biker. And +1 for your last view, its very much prevailing.

I believe, by speeding and not wearing helmets they try be like famous bollywood biker but forget that the stunts and speed in there are controlled by professionals.

thanks

AD
Delhi, UP and few other North Indian states are of different league. It is almost the same entire India though, however these and few more states are at the worst. There the people's perspective of life is completely different. "Maro aur dusronkobhi maaro/marwaw" (in-short, Live to Die and Kill).

Regarding the helmet, really our people will never the point of safety.

A resent incident happened with a far relative of my GF. The family is pretty rich and have few cars and two wheelers at home. The guy went to drop his daughter to college/tuitions early in the morning in their two wheeler. In order to save fuel and time, he took shorter route. Further upon approaching main road, he wanted to compete against an oncoming auto-rickshaw and cross the road before auto can pass. Fortunately/unfortunately the auto was doing a good speed and their calculation went wrong... So they got hit by the auto. The guy was in coma for few days and died recently. His daughter is in critical condition. As he was not wearing helmet, his head hit the road couple of times. They have filed a case against auto guy. If me, I would have filed a case against this guy for not wearing helmet and approaching main road with caution.

People read so many accidents in newspaper day-in-and-day-out, still why can't they freakin' understand the importance of basic safety measures!
Old 9th September 2013, 04:05   #13974
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dry Ice, you are right the vehicle hit the embankment wall of a culvert. He was tailgating a Bus at about 120 + speeds on a four lane highway
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
About the whole scenario, that's a pretty scary situation to be in. I think tailing the bus closely coupled with high speed did him in. This just reaffirms the common belief on the forum, our highways are not yet safe for triple digit speeds.
Perhaps, but it was the tailgating, not the speed, or the road that looks like the major cause of the accident here.

The road might have been bad. The speed might have been too high, but somebody else doing it doesn't make it obligatory to follow.

Tailgating is always wrong and always dangerous. At these speeds it absolute madness. It is death-wish driving.
Why is the obvious so hard for people to realise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser
People read so many accidents in newspaper day-in-and-day-out, still why can't they freakin' understand the importance of basic safety measures!
Sadly, it is because those newspaper reports often encourage people to believe that it was the road's fault, the visibility's fault, the stationery object's fault. That the vehicle lost control, not the driver and so on and so on and so on.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 9th September 2013 at 04:11.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2013, 08:57   #13975
Senior - BHPian

@contyCruiser, poor child, you know, because of a silly mistake and overconfidence see how many lives suffered. Had i been at your place, would have done the same thing and in case the person would have survived, firstly i would have slapped him for endangering so many lives. Shortcuts never Pay!!

AD
Old 9th September 2013, 19:23   #13976
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Sadly, it is because those newspaper reports often encourage people to believe that it was the road's fault, the visibility's fault, the stationery object's fault. That the vehicle lost control, not the driver and so on and so on and so on.

Whoops <Blush>

And only the other day I was joking about the Stationary shop near my house. Pride comes before a fall!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2013, 19:43   #13977
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Hi mate, this stationary scenario is totally unagreed. Why to blame a non-living thing for the mistakes of "brain-dead" drivers? The media always plays to diplomacy (All news mediums are their to garner TRPs). Visibilty fault can be agreed in overcast weather, still with due cautions it can be easy. Secondly Vehicle lost Control; ya right; It lost it because the driver was insane and had lost it first!! If in case media feels that vehicles are to blame then why so often they bring up old and recent road accident cases and punish the drivers why dont they charge the vehicles? It is all artificial reportings with no or little concern towards the actuality of the incident.

AD
Old 9th September 2013, 20:31   #13978
BHPian

Quote:
Dry Ice, you are right the vehicle hit the embankment wall of a culvert. He was tailgating a Bus at about 120 + speeds on a four lane highway
Thats asking for disater. I know one particular character who was doing that on a santro all the way from Velankanni to Pondy. Plenty of lucky misses. I got off at pondy and took the bus to chennai. Seat belt? He still doesnt believe in it. Not the kind who will take himself out to save others. He has an MBA, a big shot at some big pond, married to a pretty and doting wife and has a great son. Sometimes I always wonder if education has to do anything to do with following some basic rules? Our Chaltha hai attitude is what kills us.
Old 9th September 2013, 20:43   #13979
Senior - BHPian

I think it is time the Government made it mandatory to have black boxes in all vehicles, cameras are available, hard disks are available, something like what the Police cruisers in the US have should do. They should record all the things that happen on the road, when a biker comes at you and you hit him, the guilty should get punished, not the innocent ones. If the Bus driver would have stayed on course, worst case scenario would have been hitting the biker, but by going by his instinct, he turned the bus into a weapon. Feel very sad for the Innova guys, that is one scenario that can happen to the most careful of us, a vehicle jumping the divider and hitting us on an expressway, there is nothing you can do about that, no amount of ABS, seat belts or careful driving will save you from that one. When given a choice, I choose dual carriageway roads to single roads thinking they are comparatively safer, they are safe only in city limits, on the highway, its pure luck, guess I will start driving on the slower lane on a highway instead of speeding on the fast lane
TheARUN is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th September 2013, 21:37   #13980
Senior - BHPian

@TheArun, Your suggestions are very potent and valid but not for indian road traffic, not because its expensive or sophasticated but due to illogical thought process of majority of insane drivers in india. You know trying to implement a safety enhancing technology would lead to drivers enhancing their skills of curtailing it. As in case of speed governors, everyone knows its use and is a mandatory device for bus and trucks in india but in 95% of these vehicle it is either missing or malfunctioning all thanks to drivers. Secondly, it is truely luck on highways and slow speed is not the remedy rather safe speed is. Always drive 10kmph less then permitted speed on any highway and keep safe breaking distance.

In india road safety measures are very fragile to implement so better take care on your own.

AD

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks