Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2013, 11:10   #14026
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
Dear mate, good morning, i see a slight contradiction in your post. In the first line you seem to have the common view as what happens with big vehicles at large in mishaps. Moving on, next you are trying to accuse the car (which though is true) of overspeeding by refering to the size of the highway and then again a bit contradicting upon the mistakes of the driver and cyclist as to who clearly was at fault. So, before ruling out any inference we should be knowing that none of us are aware of the actual parameters of the accident.

thanks

AD
Good Morning AD

The fact that bigger vehicle is at fault is a rule that is followed by law unless proved contrary in court or elsewhere.

In the my second part I am also blaming the cyclist, who was driving in the opposite direction on wrong side (it is almost rule with these people once you cross South Delhi), instead of using the service lane. But, if it weren't the cyclist, it could have been some other law abiding road dweller or at best no accident.

However, does that take the blame from the son of a prominent lawyer who was driving rash (as per the original news article), & faster as compared to the permitted speed limit, & also which he could handle. Had he been in manageable speeds, I believe he could easily averted the mishap, & that is where the responsibility part come into picture. I never would say that onus of responsible use is only on big vehicle owners, but their responsibility increases.

... & this is the last time I am replying on this topic , before Mods intervene to stick to topic.
Old 13th September 2013, 11:35   #14027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
Specifically Oak-ridge International School Bus drivers are very very Bad on roads. They think they are driving on race track in F1. Called school may be 6-8 months back for similar issue, on numbers noted from the bus itself, but it was simply pathetic. They almost said that is how one should drive in Bangalore
I had taken up a similar issue with the principal of greenwood high with photographs. He did not respond to my first 3 mails, and finally replied to a stinker i sent him. But refused to mention any course of action, except that he has informed the transportation in charge.
Old 13th September 2013, 14:09   #14028
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
I had taken up a similar issue with the principal of greenwood high with photographs. He did not respond to my first 3 mails, and finally replied to a stinker i sent him. But refused to mention any course of action, except that he has informed the transportation in charge.
The BTP has been making various kinds of noises after the Supreme Court went ballistic on schools buses violating norms. Maybe you should flag this to them. For example, there is a 40 kmph speed limit on them with a mandatory requirement of a speed governor.
Old 13th September 2013, 14:24   #14029
BHPian

Quote:
I had taken up a similar issue with the principal of greenwood high
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
The BTP has been making various kinds of noises after the Supreme Court went ballistic on schools buses violating norms. .
I had this quaint problem of driving on a narrow road at 8 -8 30 am during bus timings. Every day someone used to throw a stone on the windshield when the school bus was travelling in the opposite lane at the exact point when you cross the vehicle.During peak traffic you can't even take a turn and go back to the bus. ultimately just waited with an open window and camera to give the boy a shock and make him stop.
Old 13th September 2013, 14:36   #14030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The BTP has been making various kinds of noises after the Supreme Court went ballistic on schools buses violating norms. Maybe you should flag this to them. For example, there is a 40 kmph speed limit on them with a mandatory requirement of a speed governor.

BTP is useless when it comes to enforcing speed limits ! Drive on the Elevated Road to EC once and you will understand .
speedsatya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2013, 14:50   #14031
BHPian

This accident took place just an hour ago on NH47 near Kavanadu, Both the bikes were speeding in 80+, condition of the bikers are serious.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img2013091300391.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img2013091300390.jpg  

Old 13th September 2013, 15:01   #14032
BHPian

Quote:
When the parents and the school authorities are least interested in the safety of the kids, what would you expect from BTP ?

How many of us , parents, actually check how the buses of our kids drive? Is the driver qualified to drive ? Are the kids safe in the bus ?

I doubt ! !

Is it going OT ?
Old 13th September 2013, 20:19   #14033
BHPian

Saw a golden saden badly crushed on DND towards noida today evening. It was being towed by a tow truck. It was probably a old gen Honda city or a baleno. There was a jam due to this for a while. I hope the occupants survived because it was crushed badly. Also saw a bike lying nearby. I am not sure if it was involved though. Police team was already present on the spot. I haven't seen anything about this in the news yet.
Old 13th September 2013, 23:52   #14034
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When the parents and the school authorities are least interested in the safety of the kids, what would you expect from BTP ?

How many of us , parents, actually check how the buses of our kids drive? Is the driver qualified to drive ? Are the kids safe in the bus ?
Well, my colony has a dedicated bus for my son's school - and we (the parents) do all this and more. From what I understand, BTP takes complaints about school buses seriously - I hear that they send teams to inspect buses "at source" (that is, at the school) for adherence to the norms. After a spate of accidents involving school buses and various high courts and even the supreme court getting involved, they cannot afford to be seen as lenient towards these buses.
Old 14th September 2013, 06:52   #14035
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
Agree, ABS would have definitely helped saved the day.

Pumping the brakes could have been an option - maybe I didn't/couldn't think of it, but margin of error was very low.

With ABS, the car would/should have stopped without colliding, as with skidding we hit the truck at around 10-15 maybe lesser.

Sorry, no testing for me, all the tests in the world cannot create a real life situation.
Disagree here. You cannot test skid recovery normally, but you can and should test panic braking BEFORE you buy a car (or the very firstday you buy it). IMHO, you should not drive any car at any reasonable speed unless you have experienced exactly how the car behaves at that speed under panic conditions. There is zero skill in accelerating - it is decelerating safely that matters.

By the way, experiences like yours are the single reason I do NOT drive above 100 (for more than a few minutes) ever. Sometimes its just plain bad luck - a few inches would've meant safety for u!
phamilyman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2013, 17:43   #14036
BHPian

Last night at around 2:30 AM , 3 boys and 1 girl , all drunk rammed into a vegetable vendor shop in their new Scorpio automatic. Location - Borivali west (IC colony) Mumbai. Fortunately no one was injured. The occupants of the car inspite of such a bad crash misbehaved at the scene. The locals so wanted to whack the shit out of these guys but myself and some people maintained their cool and dint let that happen. Violence would not have solved anything but the way the guys behaved. The girl started randomly shouting and using abusive language. When some ladies offered to help, she denied and instead lit a smoke. Anyways bottomline no one was killed or injured but the car was totaled. The occupants were taken away by cops, no clue what happened next.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image3663697833.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image1499744557.jpg  

Vishbull_6157 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th September 2013, 18:39   #14037
BHPian

Vishbull 6157, appreciate you for maintaining the crowd. Other wise only God knows what would have happened to those people. When something of such a magnitude happens, people still not coming to their senses shows they are arrogant. Thank God there was no one in the shop.
Old 14th September 2013, 20:54   #14038
Senior - BHPian

@Vishbull 6157, your way to handle a serious situation is unparalled. Late night drives under alchol influence is the worst but most common combo i would say. To safegaurd themselves the occupants took to loud behavior but this shows inspite of so many mishaps people are still very ignorant.

thanks

AD
ad3952n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2013, 08:59   #14039
BHPian

Five persons in a Swift Dzire were killed yesterday evening when their vehicle slammed into a BMTC bus about 30 KM from Bangalore. All fiver Re students just above 20 years of age were returning from Kanakapura after a picnic.
There are two versions for this accident from eyewitnesses, the from tyre burst made the car swerve to the right and hit the bus head on and the second one is that the car was trying to overtake a sand laden truck and came across the bus from opposite direction. Now not knowing about the fact all we could pray let their souls rest in peace.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/22593492.cms
Old 15th September 2013, 11:56   #14040
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishbull_6157 View Post
Last night at around 2:30 AM , 3 boys and 1 girl , all drunk rammed into a vegetable vendor shop in their new Scorpio automatic. Location - Borivali west (IC colony) Mumbai. The occupants were taken away by cops, no clue what happened next.
The high spirited teens got away by paying bribe of RS 25000 and fled To Dubai. The vegetable vendor dint get anything and has to bear the losses.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image386866341.jpg  

Vishbull_6157 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed