Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2013, 12:12   #14071
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

After a long time, some news that makes one feel good. How fast information spreads in today's world, looks like he has become a search item for netizens. Type his first name on google and it does the rest. His Wikipedia page is also updated with news of this heroic act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post

By the way, is there a chance of steering getting locked while the car in motion? If so, what could be the cause?
Seems that's an issue with Swift. There was news on this thread several pages before about a Maruti Ertiga being ripped apart after a highway accident. Driver perished but his wife survived and revealed he was screaming at the last moment, steering is locked. Another guy on this forum in some other thread reported steering getting locked intermittently. Wondering if EPS has anything to do here?
IUNKWN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 12:23   #14072
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post

By the way, is there a chance of steering getting locked while the car in motion? If so, what could be the cause?
Yes, its a possibility as it happened with my uncle a couple of weeks back. His driver while driving noticed sudden hardening of steering with difficulty in manoeuvring the car (Ritz Vxi). The car was at slow speed and it was driven home. Next day when we took it to service center, after thoroughly checking it, fault was found in the electric motor as it had stopped taking current due to some voltage fluctuation and the ECU had shut it. It was rectified by them. I dont know how much correct they were in diagnosing the fault but now there is no problem.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 12:50   #14073
BHPian

Re: Karnataka Minister Jumps Into Lake & Saves Family From Sinking Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...ntenttarget=no

According to the driver, the Swift's steering locked up suddenly, and he drove right into the lake.
Yeah, read this in TOI today and actually felt good! If only all could think on their feet and help people who need it at such times.

These are good examples on which a good foundation of citizens can be built on.

Was wondering what caused the steering to be locked, scary
Old 18th September 2013, 12:55   #14074
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post

Was wondering what caused the steering to be locked, scary
There is a high probability that this guy just nodded off at that moment - he left Karkala town at 4:00 AM (according to the article). But its awkward to share that with the press.

Just my conjecture though.
Old 18th September 2013, 13:00   #14075
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
There is a high probability that this guy just nodded off at that moment - he left Karkala town at 4:00 AM (according to the article). But its awkward to share that with the press.

Just my conjecture though.
Possible, however a through examination of the car will throw light. If it really was a "lock" issue then Maruti needs to review it.
Old 18th September 2013, 13:01   #14076
Senior - BHPian

In these times when the politicians are viewed with criminal sentiments, this came as a pleasant surprise. Hats off to the men with heart of gold who rescued the family.

It is frightful to know that the steering locked and the doors were unable to be opened. How could the minister open the doors when inside the water?
Old 18th September 2013, 13:08   #14077
BHPian

The article also says that the car overtook the ministers motorcade a few minutes before the incident. generally the politician's ego gets hurt being on being overtaken but this minister seems to have had no such problem and went out of the way to help. Needs to be appreciated. I am reminded of the incident in TN where a man was hacked and a minister's convoy stopped but did nothing to help him evn though he was pleading to help. he finally died on the spot. We need more such positive stories about the political class.

I highly doubt if the steering would have locked on a moving car, while it is possible we need more details before we can be sure of it
Mohan Mathew A is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 13:18   #14078
Senior - BHPian

Applaud the effort of this minister. At times when we've lost faith in politicians, we DO have a few good ones. Kudos to Kimmane Ratnakar for this brave feat!
Old 18th September 2013, 13:26   #14079
Senior - BHPian

Usually a minister's convoy does not allow anyone to overtake them! And usually the convoy goes so fast that normal cars find it hard to keep up with them, leave alone overtake them. This means the minister's car was not doing insane speeds. The minister must be a really down-to-earth guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
I am reminded of the incident in TN where a man was hacked and a minister's convoy stopped but did nothing to help him evn though he was pleading to help.
If I remember right, it wasn't just soem man. It a policeman (probably an inspector) who was hacked to death. The ministers later told the press that they were too dumbfounded to call help, and were too afraid to get out of their cars.

EDIT: I just did a google maps search for the distance between Karkala centre and Beguvalli. That's 103 KMs. The route would have taken the Swift through Agumbe ghat, which is quite steep and has narrow hairpin bends. The road is quite narrow too. I wonder how the Swift managed to cover 103 KMs in just 3 hours!

Last edited by rohanjf : 18th September 2013 at 13:30.
rohanjf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 13:28   #14080
Distinguished - BHPian

Heroic. Feeling very good after reading the article. Thankfully, there are people who are still priceless and who value the life of others. Salute!
Old 18th September 2013, 13:52   #14081
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post

EDIT: I just did a google maps search for the distance between Karkala centre and Beguvalli. That's 103 KMs. The route would have taken the Swift through Agumbe ghat, which is quite steep and has narrow hairpin bends. The road is quite narrow too. I wonder how the Swift managed to cover 103 KMs in just 3 hours!
Yeah and more importantly, the steering didnt get locked while negotiating those tight narrow hairpin bends. If it had, then the things would have been disastrous for them.

I still feel that lack of proper sleep (due to an early start) would have resulted in momentary loss of concentration and hence he missed the turn.
Old 18th September 2013, 15:05   #14082
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Well, he must have been travelling pretty slow to take 3 hours at night, may be due to fog or bad roads. Most buses and cars cover Udupi-Shimoga in 3 hours, I have done it many times myself. Beguvalli is 40kms closer than Shimoga.
Old 18th September 2013, 15:37   #14083
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
I've seen this many times, especially with people who chew tobacco..
Few years back one of my relatives died while riding his two wheeler. A car driver driving his car adjacent to his scooter suddenly opened the door to spit, knocking down the rider and pillion in the process. The rider came under a bus coming from opposite direction.
Old 18th September 2013, 22:59   #14084
BHPian

Was he going downhill? The driver may have switched off the engine and kept coasting and the steering might have been difficult to turn.? Ive noticed many people dojng the same on hills, even on our Bangalore's Nandhi Hills.
Old 19th September 2013, 01:31   #14085
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Few years back one of my relatives died while riding his two wheeler. A car driver driving his car adjacent to his scooter suddenly opened the door to spit, knocking down the rider and pillion in the process. The rider came under a bus coming from opposite direction.
This is dreadful, criminal behaviour by the car driver. It is unforgivable, and this is not meant to take away from that...

There is a concept of a safety line, one or two metres away from other vehicles, parked or moving, and one should, if possible, keep outside it. Sadly, this is not taught to bikers, and if it is, they soon forget it. It is a concept that has a lot of potential to preserve life.

If your relative had practised this, and not overtaken in the face of oncoming traffic, he would be alive today.

I am sorry for your loss, and do not mean to hurt in any way, just to try to see lessons that present themselves here. Please forgive anything I might have misunderstood about the situation.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks