Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2013, 05:03   #14086
BANNED

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
This is dreadful, criminal behaviour by the car driver. It is unforgivable, and this is not meant to take away from that...

There is a concept of a safety line, one or two metres away from other vehicles, parked or moving, and one should, if possible, keep outside it. Sadly, this is not taught to bikers, and if it is, they soon forget it. It is a concept that has a lot of potential to preserve life.

If your relative had practised this, and not overtaken in the face of oncoming traffic, he would be alive today.
Apologies if this was a sarcastic post. A car driver opens the door while in motion to treat the public road as his toilet and people find an issue with the scooter rider! How do you know the car did not come too close to the scooter while focusing on opening the door and spitting? Most of the times there is no 2 meters around each 4 wheeler, and everyone has a right to whatever piece of road that is available. In my humble opinion, the first lesson to teach would be to respect the right of others to use the road, (cycle, scooter, auto, car, lorry, bus etc. ) and respect public roads (not treat it like their personal toilet)
Old 19th September 2013, 07:30   #14087
BHPian

Sorry for the poor biker.

In India we have to expect all sorts of such stupid drivers on the street and so the best way is to adopt a defensive style of driving. The car driver definitely deserves to be flogged, but the biker could have been a bit more cautious when overtaking. He wouldn't have expected such a stupid act from the car driver, but that is the way it is in India. The moron car driver will escape with a fine of 1.5K but its the biker's family that has to bear the loss.

So let us drive on our streets expecting every other driver to be a similar one.
sharoncr_17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2013, 08:25   #14088
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
This is dreadful, criminal behaviour by the car driver. It is unforgivable, and this is not meant to take away from that...

There is a concept of a safety line, one or two metres away from other vehicles, parked or moving, and one should, if possible, keep outside it. Sadly, this is not taught to bikers, and if it is, they soon forget it. It is a concept that has a lot of potential to preserve life.

If your relative had practised this, and not overtaken in the face of oncoming traffic, he would be alive today.

I am sorry for your loss, and do not mean to hurt in any way, just to try to see lessons that present themselves here. Please forgive anything I might have misunderstood about the situation.
You are right when you talk of a safety line of two meters etc... But as prasadee has mentioned the traffic density is so high that if you leave a gap of two meters you can be sure someone will fill it up for you.

You are absolutely right when you say we need to see the lessons that such incidents teach us. In this case its one that's extremely difficult to practice on our overcrowed roads.
Old 19th September 2013, 08:55   #14089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post
Apologies if this was a sarcastic post. A car driver opens the door while in motion to treat the public road as his toilet and people find an issue with the scooter rider! ... .... In my humble opinion, the first lesson to teach would be to respect the right of others to use the road, (cycle, scooter, auto, car, lorry, bus etc. ) and respect public roads (not treat it like their personal toilet)
You are right. It would be great if others learnt to respect other road users and avoid such mishaps.

But I read @Thad's post more on the lines of "What you can do to stay safe" as against "What others should do to keep you safe" and not to point the blame in any way.

Our roads are what they are and we do have enough and more of problem drivers, but we have to look after our safety as much as we can e.g. not riding in other's blind spots too long, not riding parallel or too close to bigger vehicles. You'll for sure find yourself in those situations but should try and steer clear as quickly as possible to the next challenge.
Old 19th September 2013, 09:14   #14090
Senior - BHPian

Good Morning Team, As per HT today, Another mishap involving 4 passangers and a Scorpio took place at Yamuna Expressway. The driver of the Scorpio lost control at the zero point at Yamuna Expressway on Wednesday 10am.The car rolled 3 times before dangling at 50ft in the air from a flyover(see pic) in a dramatic 2 hour rescue. The hand of 1 of the passanger had to amputated to rescue her and with her other 3 had to be admitted to a private hospital. The driver later died of his injuries.

AD
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0298n.jpg  

ad3952n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2013, 10:32   #14091
BHPian

Another case of insane driving on Ahmedabad roads. People living in huge bunglows in posh areas think they own the road, driving insanely at 100 kmph. However at the same time the motorcyclists are equally at fault approaching a junction at high speed , and without using proper basic biking gear like helmets . Young innocent lives in peril now. .The the SUV driver being a doctor ,and despite having political connections fortunately did, attend to the victims.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/22729127.cms

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
Good Morning Team, As per HT today, Another mishap involving 4 passangers and a Scorpio took place at Yamuna Expressway. The driver of the Scorpio lost control at the zero point at Yamuna Expressway on Wednesday 10am.The car rolled 3 times before dangling at 50ft in the air from a flyover(see pic) in a dramatic 2 hour rescue. The hand of 1 of the passanger had to amputated to rescue her and with her other 3 had to be admitted to a private hospital. The driver later died of his injuries.

AD
I fail to understand why do SUV drivers drive so insanely. Either they lack basic sense of physics or probably are under the false sense of security that SUVs are built like tanks ,and can handle anything .Why do people fail to understand that the handling of SUvs is different from Sedans which have a low center of gravity and are therfore more stable, whereas SUVs have a higher CG and comparatively for the kind of weight they have their wheel bases are not wide enough to handle stability issues at high speeds.SUVs at high speeds flip like matchboxes and with more the number of passengers the more unstable they become.Luckily even after three flips people survived in this case other wise the all the pillars of the Scorpio generally flatten out under its own weight , further adding to the casualty figure.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote,
click here (How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP).

We advise you to read the
Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by moralfibre : 19th September 2013 at 12:31. Reason: Back to back post
Old 19th September 2013, 12:14   #14092
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
AD
Reading the rescue operation gave me goosebumps !!

HERE is the pictorial sequence of the rescue operation !!!

What speed was the driver doing on the Loop ? Common sense left back at home !! I own a Beat and at small curves I feel that the vehicle may rollover. The max I have done on a Loop / Interchange in Bangalore (Indiranagar and Int'l Airport) is 30-40kmph.
I'm pretty much sure that this fellow might be doing upwards of 70-80kmph and when he realised that there could be a rollover, it was too late.

I am just thinking of a possible scenario. The real truth may not come out even, since the driver is dead. Hopefully the survivors come out of the trauma and let the world know what went wrong.
I pray that acts as a learning lesson to people across India.
(I'm sure Indians behave better on roads, when they are abroad).
Old 19th September 2013, 12:46   #14093
BHPian

Yesterday, i saw two teenage boys on a Scooty doing circus on the middle of the road (Ashok nagar to KK nagar road, Chennai), I was driving behind them, and i suddenly noticed the scoot started zigzagging and to my utter surprise, i saw the boys swapping their position (front to pillion and pillion to front) while riding.

I immediately slowed down to crawling speed, since the way the scoot shook makes me feared that they might fell off anytime but thankfully nothing happened.

No helmets, and with a casual tees and trousers these under age idiots did this stunt and zoomed away on a road where MTC buses used to ply around.

The road sense is deteriorating day by day, which makes this thread gets updated day by day.

Last edited by DRIVE_ADDICT : 19th September 2013 at 12:47.
Old 19th September 2013, 12:54   #14094
BHPian

Though I regret the incident and wish well for the ones who survived, such moron's are responsible for the system to introduce speed limits and other measures. I think we need to first understand that cars in India and the roads have limitations and cannot be driven as in developed countries
Old 19th September 2013, 13:26   #14095

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by noopster : 19th September 2013 at 22:23.
praveenbalan is offline   Received Infraction
Old 19th September 2013, 13:50   #14096
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
Yesterday, i saw two teenage boys on a Scooty doing circus on the middle of the road
Haaahaaahaaa. Very Very Very (if I could repeat the Very) Common sight in Bangalore.
And lemme highlight their rides - Scooty, Dio, Activa, Yamaha RX100.
Always keep safe distance from these hooligans.
Old 19th September 2013, 14:05   #14097
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post
Apologies if this was a sarcastic post. A car driver opens the door while in motion to treat the public road as his toilet and people find an issue with the scooter rider! How do you know the car did not come too close to the scooter while focusing on opening the door and spitting? Most of the times there is no 2 meters around each 4 wheeler, and everyone has a right to whatever piece of road that is available. In my humble opinion, the first lesson to teach would be to respect the right of others to use the road, (cycle, scooter, auto, car, lorry, bus etc. ) and respect public roads (not treat it like their personal toilet)
No, it certainly was not sarcastic, and it was, as Mnjdnght says, in the spirit of how to stay safe.

I agree with much of what you say, and also that I absolutely did not know the circumstances. But this is simply not right...
Quote:
Most of the times there is no 2 meters around each 4 wheeler, and everyone has a right to whatever piece of road that is available.
Not enough space? Then don't go there! Too much of this thread arises because people think they have some right or other. Need to overtake, for instance, is not the priority if there is not clear space without oncoming traffic. People should not put selfish, self-centred needs before safety of themselves and others. Not if they want to stay alive.

If they don't care, then why should I? Because, all too often, they kill others, or involve others in their own death and injury. And because for every person that dies in an avoidable accident there is a family left to grieve and maybe even face great hardship.

As to opening the door of a car in motion, that is just stupid. As to doing so when another vehicle is overtaking, whether or not it should be, as I said before, that is criminal and certainly that driver is responsible for what happened to the biker.

But with wise, cautious, defensive driving, that guy could still be alive.

Recently I posted a thing from my father about Pedestrian right of way: "When does a pedestrian have right of way? Always, because you must never run into them." But he also, long before I was old enough to drive, taught me this about being on the road:

He was right, dead right, as he toddled along,
But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong.

For me, at the time, it was about being a pedestrian on the roads, but it applies to driving too.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 19th September 2013 at 14:18.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th September 2013, 20:21   #14098
Senior - BHPian

hi team, saw this Tata safari parked opp. noida stadium on entrance of Sector 21 noida. Right corner of rear bumper and the entire left side including front left corner of windsheild totally smashed. Dont know how it happened.

thanks

AD
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-safari-1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-safari-2.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-safari-3.jpg  

Old 19th September 2013, 22:24   #14099
BHPian

Yesterday night at midnight saw perhaps the luckiest person alive at that moment.
I was waiting for light to turn green on Victoria signal.

It turned green, and I took right towards old Airport Road. I was going fairly slow due to turn.
2 blokes without helmets were driving maybe 20 feet ahead of left of road. There was a Tempo traveler driving which was in the process of crossing the Activa from right ( correct side ).

Suddenly the pillion rider just fell down on road on his right side, sideways without even attempting to prevent the fall using hands or legs.
Exact same moment, I could see traveler's rear wheel passing his head by millimeters. I was shocked, went ahead and noticed that pillion is drunk like a duck. Moron has no idea that he cheated death by a whisker. I moved on, when I notice the rider was in his senses, but his face said it all. The traveler stopped meters ahead and I could see driver all pale. He could have been charged for murder for foolishness of some random drunk teenager. I hope the drunk Kid learns a very important life lesson.

And that is why people, you should always take Taxi when you are Drunk.
acroback is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2013, 22:33   #14100
Senior - BHPian

@acroback, good evening, indeed he should thank his stars. These people fail to realise how important it is to be safe on road. I believe safe driving should always be practised and one should always be alert about his/her surroundings to be able for taking corrective action and plan reflexes. These drunkards are a potential threat to all and dont seem to follow a common saying "Live and Let Live". One should always drive smart.

thanks

AD

Most Viewed