Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2013, 09:42   #14131
BHPian

Yamuna Expressway

Honda Amaze turned turtle after hitting the divider when driver was trying to overtake another vehicle and lost control.Driver and the front passenger dead, the three passengers sitting at the back said to be critical.

Source:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/22951752.cms
Old 24th September 2013, 11:02   #14132
Senior - BHPian

Re: Yamuna Expressway

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
Honda Amaze turned turtle after hitting the divider when driver was trying to overtake another vehicle and lost control.Driver and the front passenger dead, the three passengers sitting at the back said to be critical.
Dear Rishi, good morning. Feels so sad to know another mishap leads to loss of life. Any info about the speed of the car? I think its high time the authorities should take prompt steps to curb the mishap rate on Yamuna Expressway. They should carry out road surveys on the Expressway and should study the traffic pattern on it to resolve the issue. I happened to see a video feed thru a hindi news channel few days back in which a traffic analysist opined that on Yamuna expressway majority of mishaps take place due to 2 reasons i.e improper overtaking and over-speeding which often leads to tyre burst.

thanks

AD
Old 24th September 2013, 11:49   #14133
BHPian

Re: Yamuna Expressway

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
I happened to see a video feed thru a hindi news channel few days back in which a traffic analysist opined that on Yamuna expressway majority of mishaps take place due to 2 reasons i.e improper overtaking and over-speeding which often leads to tyre burst.
No info about the speed of the car.

I assume, Amaze would have switched lanes at the very last moment.

Well, authorities can't do much. Its the drivers who need to understand their vehicle and its limits.

The last time I was on the expressway;When I was nearing the F1 circuit just before the exit, a Yeti zoomed past me in a flash from the wrong side with high beams ON overtaking all the vehicles in the middle lane.

Last edited by sinharishi : 24th September 2013 at 11:50.
Old 24th September 2013, 14:30   #14134
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

heading to office this morning, less than half a kilometer from my home and i get t-boned.. by a bike! its a layout, so i'm moving at about 20-25kmph when all of a sudden i see a bike hurtling towards me from one of the by-lanes (i had crossed the lane halfway already). the biker wasn't expecting the car to be there and it was too late - the bike (Splendor) crashed into the driver side door. The biker was speeding through the by-lanes and intended to cross the main road without looking or slowing down!

i was furious , but sat in the car till the biker removed his bike. then i moved ahead, parked the car on the side of the road, engaged the hazard lights and get out of the car to assess the damage. there didn't seem to be a dent (which is a miracle in itself considering the speed at which he hit my car - maybe 50-60kmph), but did see couple of scratch marks. i then turned my attention to the biker (in his late 20s early 30s). he had parked his bike on the side and approaching me. don't think he was injured as he seemed quite normal to me. he says to me that he had an emergency and that is why he was rushing (in Tamil).

now, i'm already peeved off, but i calm myself down (whooosah) and give him a piece of my mind. i tell him that he was lucky that it was my car that he rammed into; what if it were a child going to school or a parent taking their children to school on a two wheeler?

he stood there with a sheepish grin. since the damage wasn't much (and since he had said something about him having an emergency), i dismissed him with an angry look and told him to be on his way (didn't want him to feel that he got off easy). with a sigh, i got back in the car and resume my journey to office.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_0077.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_0078.jpg

ps: that circular dent was already there.

Last edited by IronH4WK : 24th September 2013 at 14:46.
IronH4WK is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 19:05   #14135
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Today Morning I saw this on the way from Bangalore to Mysore, some where between Maddur and Mandya

Last edited by manjubp : 25th September 2013 at 19:13.
Old 25th September 2013, 19:09   #14136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
Today Morning I saw this on the way from Bangalore to Mysore, some where between Maddur and Mandya
You seem to have forgotten to attach the image/photo of what you saw, manjubp. Please check.
Old 25th September 2013, 19:16   #14137
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
Here is the attachment. What I heard is that it happened some time in early morning. Both driver and helper were injured.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20130925_092200.jpg  

Old 25th September 2013, 19:26   #14138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
heading to office this morning, less than half a kilometer from my home and i get t-boned.. by a bike! its a layout, so i'm moving at about 20-25kmph when all of a sudden i see a bike hurtling towards me from one of the by-lanes (i had crossed the lane halfway already). the ....
That's really sad.

I can only say that all these morons make driving really a difficult task for the sensible lot. Your speed at the next intersection is a witness to it.

You had spontaneously came to complete standstill (0KMPH) while crossing the next immediate intersection post accident.

But as they say, defensive driving is the only way out in a country like India where common sense is the most uncommon thing.

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 25th September 2013 at 19:28.
Warwithwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 19:37   #14139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
That's really sad. I can only say that all these morons make driving really a difficult task for the sensible lot. Your speed at the next intersection is a witness to it. You had spontaneously came to complete standstill (0KMPH) while crossing the next immediate intersection post accident. But as they say, defensive driving is the only way out in a country like India where common sense is the most uncommon thing.
Where I got hit, the roads are smaller interior roads. The next junction however is a main road and hence I stop, look left, look right and then cross
Old 26th September 2013, 00:26   #14140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
heading to office this morning, less than half a kilometer from my home and i get t-boned.. by a bike!
Few observations from your dash cam video:

Although the speed showed as only within 18 - 20kmph, the actual speed looks a little higher. Not challenging, just asking, the speedometer works with GPS coordinates, so is that accurate ?

What song was that playing ? Sounded like some Hip Hop.
After the 'accident' seems you lowered the volume. Thankfully you didn't play some Bhajan.

And that door banging (closing) after you got down, shook the camera !!! The biker must have been quite scared when you banged the door !!!

Jokes apart, your ride got away with just some scratches. Seems like rubber to me, may go away with some bit of polishing. Good Luck.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 01:34   #14141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Few observations from your dash cam video:

Although the speed showed as only within 18 - 20kmph, the actual speed looks a little higher. Not challenging, just asking, the speedometer works with GPS coordinates, so is that accurate ?
could be because of the narrow field of view (iPhone 4's lens's field of view is about 60deg i think), not sure. i do traverse slowly on that section because of lot of people are usually jogging/exercising on the street early in the morning.

i've compared the speed indicated by this app with other apps and on different devices and it seems to be accurate. there might be a marginal error, but don't think it might be a big number.

Quote:
What song was that playing ? Sounded like some Hip Hop.
I know you want me - Pitbull

Quote:
After the 'accident' seems you lowered the volume.
when i got back in the car and switched on the engine again, it killed the HU momentarily.

Quote:
And that door banging (closing) after you got down, shook the camera !!! The biker must have been quite scared when you banged the door !!!
theatrics
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 10:10   #14142
Senior - BHPian

Good Morning Team, Here is a White Verna of a resident of my sector. Smashed yesterday due to heavy evening showers in Delhi/NCR. The damage seems to be controlled. A big result of b2b driving.

thanks

AD
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0352_001.jpg  

Old 26th September 2013, 10:49   #14143
BHPian

Quote:
but did see couple of scratch marks.
Oops, sorry to hear that Hawky, however such morons must be relay taught a lesson. I had a similar experience and the only thing the biker was doing was a ear to ear grin
Old 26th September 2013, 11:32   #14144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know you want me - Pitbull
Probably the biker heard it and took that line seriously.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 21:21   #14145
BHPian

This happened last month. Basically the Swift was going pretty fast and the Verna was trying to overtake it. The swift took a right turn and the Verna took the right turn but in the wrong direction. After taking the turn, the swift regained speed with the verna nearing it. All of a sudden an auto moving on the wrong side of road is caught in between these two cars. Verna hits auto, auto falls on swift. Main reason of accident, SPEED. No one was seriously injured and thankfully the auto wasn't carrying an passengers.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_0296.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_0298.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_0099.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_0299.jpg  

Most Viewed