Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2013, 18:56   #14161
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
If i am not wrong, is this the same Ertiga which was T-Boned by a Verna some days ago?

Same was reported 2-3 page back in this thread.

I really scare on that road. People driving like a F1 race.
I dont think it was T-boned by any car at all. The height at which the major compression has occured, along with the level of damage makes me think this Ertiga got T-boned by a heavy commercial vehicle doing quite a bit of speed itself.

The major deep compression in the middle seems to me to be what would be caused by the front cross member of a truck/bus chassis.
Old 29th September 2013, 21:57   #14162
Distinguished - BHPian

The then President of our association, Indian Orthopaedic Association Dr Rajsekaran had filed a PIL in the Supreme Court last year and that has woken up our government to some extent. The case is being discussed. I thought of sharing this article with you all.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/editor...AI1iuDdM.email
Old 29th September 2013, 23:51   #14163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
If i am not wrong, is this the same Ertiga which was T-Boned by a Verna some days ago?

Same was reported 2-3 page back in this thread.

I really scare on that road. People driving like a F1 race.
If you are talking about the Ertiga on JVLR which crashed into Cafe Mangi after being hit by the Verna then this isnt the same. That Ertiga was hit on the driver side while this has damage on the passenger side. Reposting picture of that Ertiga that i had clicked and posted a few pages back.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img01286201308311859.jpg
Old 30th September 2013, 10:19   #14164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
I dont think it was T-boned by any car at all.
My Bad. It was really a different car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvb8530 View Post
If you are talking about the Ertiga on JVLR which crashed into Cafe Mangi after being hit by the Verna then this isnt the same. That Ertiga was hit on the driver side while this has damage on the passenger side. Reposting picture of that Ertiga that i had clicked and posted a few pages back.
Yes. Correct. This is the different one.

OT :
I am really concerned about the structural integrity of Ertiga.
As I am owning one.

But if the speed is high then no car can survive.
Old 30th September 2013, 10:31   #14165
Distinguished - BHPian

Terrible accident on Sunday on the old Mumbai-Pune highway near Karla:

Quote:
Four students were killed and a girl student was injured in an accident on the old Pune-Mumbai highway after their car hit a truck head-on at 3 am on Sunday. The accident took place near Treasure Island resort at Karla on old Pune-Mumbai highway.
The students were on a trip to Lonavla. The police claimed they were speeding when the accident took place.
(...)
According to the police, Ankit was driving his car (RJ-24-CA-1520) when the steering wheel got locked and the car veered into the opposite lane. Assistant inspector of Lonavla rural police, Sandip Yede said the car turned turtle twice before colliding with a truck (MH-04-FU-6384) coming from the opposite direction.
The highlighted part is notable. Am not sure on what basis police make such comments without detailed forensic investigations but "steering got locked" seems like one of those "explanations" that get tossed up in the aftermath of an accident like this with or without any factual basis.

Times of India's report of the same incident has a much more plausible explanation:
Quote:
Assistant inspector Sandeep Yede of the Lonavla (rural) police station told TOI that the accident took place around 3 am when the students were headed towards Lonavla from Pune. "The car was speeding. At Karla, the student who was driving lost control of the vehicle, which went off the road, jumped the divider and hit the tempo head-on in the other lane," he said.
In any case, it is a tragic waste of life. RIP those four youngsters and condolences to their families. Praying for the recovery of the injured girl, whose condition varies from "slightly injured" to "seriously wounded" depending on whose account you believe.

The old NH4 is preferred by enthusiasts over the "boring" expressway but since there are a number of intersections and unmonitored turns on that road, it is a death trap. Hope the authorities wake up and focus on making the highway safe after this.
Old 30th September 2013, 11:55   #14166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Am not sure on what basis police make such comments without detailed forensic investigations but "steering got locked" seems like one of those "explanations" that get tossed up in the aftermath of an accident like this with or without any factual basis. In any case, it is a tragic waste of life. Hope the authorities wake up and focus on making the highway safe after this.
Hi Noopster, good morning. I also agree with your view. The police just tries to close such cases asap and come out with weird conclusive statements. Before arriving to any potent inference adequate and precise investigation should be done. With youths now getting easy access to cars and bikes they try to show-off and in the process such tragedy happens. I fail to understand that why this statement "steering got locked" gaining prominence off late? It can also be the fact that the victims were DUI as with these young and reckless drivers anything can be possible.

thanks

AD
Old 30th September 2013, 14:07   #14167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Quote:
the steering wheel got locked
The highlighted part is notable.
Exactly. This obsessive overuse of the word got is unacceptable, especially from so-called professional writers. I got very tired of it.

But seriously...

Your analysis could well be right, but it is easy enough to lock the steering with the steering lock. In earlier days, one didn't even have to take the key out, but I think that is necessary on all cars now.

Imagine a youngster saying, "Look, I turned the engine off," and waving the key in the air. Far fetched? Humans can be very stupid, and there no limit to the potential stupidity of younghumans.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 30th September 2013 at 14:09.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 19:17   #14168
BHPian

Yesterday night near Nandi hills . Brother in law of my friend was driving from Delhi to Bangalore . He is in hospital with lung and multiple fractures . Not sure how this happened awaiting details
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image2439723108.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image1419495276.jpg  

Old 2nd October 2013, 08:37   #14169
Team-BHP Support

I know it is late to advise, but please ask doctors to check for internal bleeding & internal broken bones which get into blood stream.

I just hope he makes through. The Car is in shambles but the air-bags appear to be deployed.

On another note, I was coming back home at around 10pm and a man in his late 40's on a moped in front of me started to act as if he is lost. A flash of head-lamps & hellas later, he changed his trajectory path, else my virgin Figo, would have made her first contact yesterday.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2013, 13:24   #14170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
"Maarne ke baad sorry bolne ka fayda nahi he"

I'm sorry IronH4WK but that was hilarious. I had an accident recently where a biker trying to squeeze through a ditch on the extreme left fell with his bike on my car leaving a huge scratch.

Also, it's funny he didn't blame you for the accident. Seems like an exception. Once a lady hit my car from behind on a decline and on questioning said my car rolled backwards. Goddess of Physics.
Haha! Similar thing happened to me when I was waiting behind a lady driven swift at a traffic light. As soon as the light turned green, the swift started to roll backwards! I usually stop, a vehicle length behind another car so she had plenty of space to realize what was happening and correct the problem.

She didn't stop and her car picked up speed, rolling back and I started to honk, all the while ppl behind me honking like mad! She responded to the honking by giving me the stare on the IRVM, her swift still rolling back lol!

I quickly found an opening and rushed out of my lane before her car could make contact with mine. While passing her, I saw she was still staring at me, probably not realizing that her vehicle was rolling back!
Old 2nd October 2013, 13:53   #14171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
I was waiting behind a lady driven swift at a traffic light. As soon as the light turned green, the swift started to roll backwards! I usually stop, a vehicle length behind another car so she had plenty of space to realize what was happening and correct the problem.

She didn't stop and her car picked up speed, rolling back and I started to honk, all the while ppl behind me honking like mad! She responded to the honking by giving me the stare on the IRVM, her swift still rolling back lol!

I quickly found an opening and rushed out of my lane before her car could make contact with mine. While passing her, I saw she was still staring at me, probably not realizing that her vehicle was rolling back!
Hi mate, So very predictable of the lady drivers in NCR. It was deligent of you to have the space to turn and drive off thus preventing a hit. I too had a similar scene but was not lucky as you mate, The incident took place on a gate of my sector in noida. While exiting from one of the sector gate's the Estilo (HR Registered, White) in front of me just halted on a breaker. I honked from behind and guess the lady got scared or somthing she started the car and instead of forward gear she in panic applied reverse. Then seeing that i knew what fate awaited me. Bang!!What i see is the front number plate of my City Ivtec with bumper gaurd broken in 2 pieces. She just waved sorry from inside and sped away.

thanks

AD
Old 2nd October 2013, 13:54   #14172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
Hi Noopster, good morning. I also agree with you can also be the fact that the victims were DUI as with these young and reckless drivers anything can be possible. thanks AD
Hope they don't arrest the tempo driver for rash and negligent driving
Old 3rd October 2013, 09:24   #14173
Senior - BHPian

Not again!

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-02bg_pg3_bike_acci_1604696e.jpg

Quote:
Anil, a resident of BEL Layout, near Vidyaranyapura, who essayed the second lead in the 2007 Kannada film Shivani , is said to have touched a speed of 100 km per hour on the stretch linking Margosa Road and 8th Main Road. He lost control over the Rs 28-lakh bike and hit a tree.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/23434421.cms

Image Courtesy: The Hindu
Warwithwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2013, 09:34   #14174
Senior - BHPian

Tragic unfortunate accident where an alto got squished between a tempo and a truck when waiting at the toll booth of Mumbai - Pune expressway.

Quote:
A lawyer and three real-estate agents from the city were killed when a reckless truck hit their car from behind even as they were waiting to pay toll charges at the Urse toll plaza near Talegaon on the Pune-Mumbai expressway in the early hours of Wednesday.

The Maruti Alto car, which was returning to Pune, was crushed between the truck and a tempo in front. Another car ahead of the tempo was also damaged. The truck-driver abandoned the vehicle and fled after the accident.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/23437927.cms
Old 3rd October 2013, 12:36   #14175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
The truck-driver abandoned the vehicle and fled after the accident.
I always wondered, how easy is it to abandon a vehicle and flee from the scene of accident.
He must have tied up his lungi and ran on the highway like a mad man , or may have hitch hiked a fellow trucker.

Fleeing a scene is so simple, isn't police at some point may be shielding the criminal, after taking a few currency notes ?
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed