Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2013, 12:51   #14176
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Another major accident that probably is just another accident from authorities' point of view:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/23440694.cms

Quote:
Police say a massive road accident involving a cargo truck and two minivans has left 28 people dead, including 13 children, and another 20 injured in Barpeta district.
Barpeta district police say the 10-wheeler truck slammed into the oncoming minivans just after dawn on Thursday about 160 kilometers (100 miles) west of Guwahati.
Old 3rd October 2013, 14:29   #14177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
My colleague & his brother are friends with the deceased(Anil) & his brother (Sunil). My colleague divulged some info he got from the locals at accident site. There was a truck in some distance ahead of the bike. The truck was passing under some low-slung overhead cables (most likely for tv), the cables snapped upon contact with truck and some part of the cables kept hanging on the road. The bike had already gained speed when the biker suddenly spotted the torn cable, tried sudden evasive maneuver, lost control and hit the tree. A freak incident (cable snapping) + high bike speed resulted in the accident & loss of life.

Last edited by ankan.m.blr : 3rd October 2013 at 14:30.
ankan.m.blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2013, 22:19   #14178
Senior - BHPian

Some pics from Goa which were clicked by a family friend.
This happened at around 2AM. Ritz brushed a road side parked Nano, electricity pole before turning turtle. All (3 guys) escaped with no injury!
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1381929_556065241114376_1296732858_n.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1378296_556065751114325_1869319750_n.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1381344_556066131114287_1769839624_n.jpg  

HammerHead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2013, 23:06   #14179
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortuner71 View Post
Yesterday night near Nandi hills . Brother in law of my friend was driving from Delhi to Bangalore . He is in hospital with lung and multiple fractures . Not sure how this happened awaiting details
A sad incident indeed ! Believe the Honda Accord is quite an unsafe car, given its massive size. In the picture you've posted it shows the lack of the safety crumple zones.

The Accord is supposed to be a best seller in the U.S. market - topped the sales list a few years ago.

It is this car that killed Shri Jaspal Singh Bhatti, who was on the back seat. The car collided with a roadside tree, after the driver lost control.

Old 3rd October 2013, 23:11   #14180
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post

It is this car that killed Shri Jaspal Singh Bhatti, who was on the back seat. The car collided with a roadside tree, after the driver lost control.

If I remember correctly, he was sitting in the rear seat without wearing a seat belt.

The driver and front passenger had survived the accident as they were belted.

You cannot really blame the car for his death.
http://www.indianexpress.com/news/se...e-soi/1022018/
bblost is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 10:48   #14181
BHPian

bblost is correct. A good friend of mine was a very close friend of Mr. Bhatti. After this accident, my friend sent an email to all his friends (including me), exhorting us to never travel without wearing seat belts. Mr. Bhatti would have been alive today if he had been wearing his seat belt. The fallacy that 99% of people have is that they are safe in the back seat and don't need to wear a seat belt. I hear this so often I'm sick of it.
TheTeacher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 11:36   #14182
Senior - BHPian

Spotted this on FB. Check out the conversation of the RHS

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-capture.png
Old 4th October 2013, 12:43   #14183
BHPian

Another case of rear passengers not belting up. However, in this case the injury occurred to the front passenger because the rear passenger fell forward.

My cousins were going home in my uncle's 4 month old Ertiga VDi at 6am after spending the night at their beach bungalow. 7 kms into their 10 km journey, the driver dozed off suddenly and the car veered into a concrete post, decimating a perimeter wall in the process.

Both front occupants were belted up, but the two young men in the back weren't. Three of them were unharmed save for very minor cuts and bruises. But my cousin who was in the front passenger seat had a massive jolt due to the impact being on his side and his younger brother who fell on him from the back. Thankfully his injury is relatively minor, however he will remain bed-ridden for a few weeks due a back injury.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20130929-13.43.01.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20130929-13.46.40.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20130929-13.47.22.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20130929-13.47.32.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20130929-13.48.02.jpg
coloneljasi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 13:27   #14184
Team-BHP Support

Wow coloneljasi!! Thats quite a smash, and incredibly lucky that no serious injuries were caused. Before reading your description i was looking at that front passenger seat and i feared that the passenger wasn't buckled up -- which would have been fatal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloneljasi View Post
Another case of rear passengers not belting up. However, in this case the injury occurred to the front passenger because the rear passenger fell forward.
Rear seat belts are very important too!

Here is a video on the topic (viewer discretion advised!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloneljasi View Post
Thankfully his injury is relatively minor, however he will remain bed-ridden for a few weeks due a back injury.
Wish him a speedy recovery!

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 4th October 2013 at 13:31. Reason: Adding longer video instead
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 14:05   #14185
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here is a video on the topic (viewer discretion advised!)
It isn't pleasant ...but it was made as a public information film and shown widely on British TV at family viewing times: there is nothing unsuitable (for want of a better word).

It shocks, most effectively. It really has haunted me since the first time I saw the TV broadcast. I used to think that it was safe to be unbelted in the back seat; I hadn't even begun to think through the risk such a person poses to the passenger/driver in front of them.

This film, and a conversation I had on the subject with an ex-policeman colleague about some of the nasty stuff he had seen in crashed cars, changed all that for me. I really believe it is a must-see, not just for drivers, but for everyone who ever travels in a car. Including the youngsters. Perhaps, especially the youngsters.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 4th October 2013 at 14:08.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 15:01   #14186
Senior - BHPian

Educating by shocking is what this film is about. Long back I had to show this to my parents to get them to buckle up when riding in the rear seat. They too like everyone else were of the opinion that belts are not necessary at city speeds and especially for those in the rear seats. Having said that it is still a struggle every time I have other people riding in the back, some of my friends / relatives now refuse / try to get out of situations where-in they have to ride with me rather than buckle up Safety is Prime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It shocks, most effectively.

I really believe it is a must-see, not just for drivers, but for everyone who ever travels in a car. Including the youngsters. Perhaps, especially the youngsters.
khoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 15:34   #14187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Wow coloneljasi!! Thats quite a smash, and incredibly lucky that no serious injuries were caused. Before reading your description i was looking at that front passenger seat and i feared that the passenger wasn't buckled up -- which would have been fatal.

Wish him a speedy recovery!
Indeed. It's all the more eerie that he decided to put on the seat belt literally minutes before the crash. Extremely lucky for him as they were only minutes from here.

I have been a strong advocate of using seat belts, child seats and helmets ever since I got my license. I have been unlucky enough to have been in a few accidents, but lucky enough to walk away from all of them. Touch wood! When our daughter was born, the first thing we bought for her was a proper baby seat.
coloneljasi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 17:47   #14188
BHPian

Mumbai biker's stunt crushes one, lands six in hospital.

http://www.ndtv.com/article/cities/m...e-otherstories
Old 5th October 2013, 19:55   #14189
BHPian

While it is vital that passengers in the rear seat buckle up, it is equally important that large items are not kept loose in the rear seat area. These can become deadly projectiles in an accident due to the sudden deceleration and cause injury (or worse) to those seated in the front. These items should be stowed in the boot, or secured in some manner. The parcel shelf / flat space beneath the rear windscreen in a sedan are areas to not stow such items.
TheTeacher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2013, 23:08   #14190
Distinguished - BHPian

Indeed. Seldom was ever anything so misnamed as the parcel shelf. Named in the days when people had not thought of the dangers at all.

Who'd like to be hit by a box of tissues?

OK, but a box of tissues at 50kph?

Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed