Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2013, 00:17   #14191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Indeed. Seldom was ever anything so misnamed as the parcel shelf. Named in the days when people had not thought of the dangers at all. Who'd like to be hit by a box of tissues? OK, but a box of tissues at 50kph?
If it's a paper box the damage would be still lesser compared to some ornamental tissues boxes I've seen on the parcel tray of some cars.

Imagine that hitting you at 50kmph!

Last edited by IronH4WK : 6th October 2013 at 00:18.
Old 6th October 2013, 19:21   #14192
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Tragic unfortunate accident where an alto got squished between a tempo and a truck when waiting at the toll booth of Mumbai - Pune expressway.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/23437927.cms
The same style accident happen again.
Today i was returning from Mumbai .
Now the place is Talegaon Toll plaza on Express highway.
Time is around 4.30 or 5 PM.

I reached the spot just after 5-10 mins.

The scene was very disturbing.

A red Indica rear ended a light green color swift.

The swift was sandwiched between the toll pillar and the indica.
1- 2 person may be dead, Body was lying on the road.

I could not wait more there as my kid was with me and he started crying.

The ambulance was already there and they were shifting injured person to the ambulance.

I request all ..please please always try to use the side most booth for the toll not the straight one.

Last edited by KALINGA : 6th October 2013 at 19:22.
KALINGA is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th October 2013, 21:30   #14193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
The same style accident happen again. Today i was returning from Mumbai . Now the place is Talegaon Toll plaza on Express highway. Time is around 4.30 or 5 PM. I reached the spot just after 5-10 mins. The scene was very disturbing. A red Indica rear ended a light green color swift. The swift was sandwiched between the toll pillar and the indica. 1- 2 person may be dead, Body was lying on the road. I could not wait more there as my kid was with me and he started crying. The ambulance was already there and they were shifting injured person to the ambulance. I request all ..please please always try to use the side most booth for the toll not the straight one.
I agree on the above, but wont that involve changing quite a few lanes (assuming that you are referring to the left most booth) in comparatively heavier traffic while approaching toll plazas?
Old 6th October 2013, 22:30   #14194
BHPian

Quote:

The ambulance was already there and they were shifting injured person to the ambulance.

I request all ..please please always try to use the side most booth for the toll not the straight one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Tragic unfortunate accident where an alto got squished between a tempo and a truck when waiting at the toll booth of Mumbai - Pune expressway.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/23437927.cms
I have one more issue with how traffic is managed at the toll booth queues. In most toll booths I have passed, I have seen there are separate lanes marked for heavy commercial vehicles and passenger vehicles. I haven't found anybody obeying this sign. Trucks and marutis go through the same booth. If the booth operators strictly enforce vehicle specific lanes, then we can have the trucks move to their own lane. No fear of rear ending by a heavy vehicle like the situation above.
ankan.m.blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2013, 22:32   #14195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulk2510 View Post
I agree on the above, but wont that involve changing quite a few lanes (assuming that you are referring to the left most booth) in comparatively heavier traffic while approaching toll plazas?
Normally, on all NH's you have the signboards that start indicating a toll plaza since a KM before the toll. You can see that and keep left accordingly. That should not be a problem IMO. Most of the trucks prefer keeping left on toll booths, if one of them decides to doze off, the scene can be devastating!
Old 6th October 2013, 22:56   #14196
BHPian

I used to approach the booth which comes on my lane.
Last few month i saw many scary moment near the toll booth. One worst accident happened few days back on the tool booth.(Already posted few page back)

So now i have changed my approach.

I generally come to left lane once i saw the toll booth sign board.

This may be the safe in comparison to approach the right most booth.

The authority must do some thing now.
May be some bigger rumbler. Plastic one but bigger in height
KALINGA is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 00:47   #14197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
. request all ..please please always try to use the side most booth for the toll not the straight one.
This has been my biggest fear when at toll booths. I try and take the side most toll gates wherever possible. I am always on the lookout for vehicles behind me on my RVM. This is something I am really paranoid about always. This is something I always do even when I am at a red light junction. You never know when some idiot might ram you from behind

Also , another practice I follow is to try and keep the change ready ( I always have the person sitting beside me do this ) , so that we spend minimal possible time at the toll gate.
speedsatya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 10:59   #14198
BHPian

Quote:

A family friend got seriously injured in this accident. What I understood when they had called up in the morning to inform, their car was rear ended. The car did not have much damage. When some people were trying to remove the cars , another car came at high speed and hit them. Could not get more details as the person is admitted to Aditya Birla hospital and is in serious condition
Old 7th October 2013, 10:59   #14199
BHPian

Hello all,

The details are in the below link :

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/23620038.cms

No death reported. But 4 were serious & in ICU.

After I left the place one more car dashed the indica from behind.

The Swift was driven by a lady.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm403 View Post
A family friend got seriously injured in this accident. What I understood when they had called up in the morning to inform, their car was rear ended. The car did not have much damage. When some people were trying to remove the cars , another car came at high speed and hit them. Could not get more details as the person is admitted to Aditya Birla hospital and is in serious condition
Oh My God..

Has their car been a Maruti 800 ?

Because that was rear ended by the swift.
The swift was rear ended by a Tata Indica. Then a Logan taxi rear ended the Indica.

Edit: Sorry Mods for the consecutive post. Kindly merge the above two post.

Last edited by moralfibre : 7th October 2013 at 11:18. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 7th October 2013, 12:58   #14200
BHPian

This is what happened to my swift on the 28th of last month. This happened on an intersection. Before I get into the details of what and how...bhpians look at the pictures and tell me in your opinion who is at fault.

Name:  ForumRunner_20131007_125159.png
Views: 4158
Size:  572.5 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20131007_125309.png
Views: 4078
Size:  413.4 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20131007_125405.png
Views: 4165
Size:  442.9 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20131007_125500.png
Views: 4068
Size:  395.7 KB

The last photo is the photo of the point of collision. The biker was coming from the direction of the SX4.
Old 7th October 2013, 13:47   #14201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damanshaheed View Post
This happened on an intersection.
How did this happen? The damage seems to be on opposite sides. If its a head-on collision, the dents should be on the same sides. I think somebody was trying to take a turn.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 7th October 2013 at 13:49.
Old 7th October 2013, 13:57   #14202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
How did this happen? The damage seems to be on opposite sides. If its a head-on collision, the dents should be on the same sides. I think somebody was trying to take a turn.
I think you assumed Swift was going from left to right .

Swift was going from right to left. Biker was taking a right turn. Since the vehicle going straight has the right of way, biker should have waited till the Swift passed and joined the lane behind Swift, especially because the Swift was already into the intersection. But no bikers know about the concept of right of way, let alone obey them!
Old 7th October 2013, 14:00   #14203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is what happened to my swift on the 28th of last month. This happened on an intersection. Before I get into the details of what and how...bhpians look at the pictures and tell me in your opinion who is at fault.

The last photo is the photo of the point of collision. The biker was coming from the direction of the SX4.
Which Cantonment is that?
Registration of the swift is of Ambala but picture does not look like from Ambala.
Old 7th October 2013, 14:00   #14204
BHPian

Quote:
bhpians look at the pictures and tell me in your opinion who is at fault.

Attachment 1149026

Attachment 1149027

Attachment 1149028

Attachment 1149029
By looking at point of hit I think its fault of Swift. Its always person at right side gets "right of way" as per law. Not to mention our own unwritten universal law "Big vehicle is always at fault" , swift is at fault.
Old 7th October 2013, 14:46   #14205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
By looking at point of hit I think its fault of Swift. Its always person at right side gets "right of way" as per law. Not to mention our own unwritten universal law "Big vehicle is always at fault" , swift is at fault.
If you are sarcastic, then I agree. But seriously, the following rules apply:
1. If the intersection is of roads of equal importance (seems likely in this case), whichever vehicle reaches the intersection first has the right of way. Such intersections are always marked with stop sign, which means stop, look and proceed even if there is no other vehicle visible anywhere around.

To avoid confusion on such intersections, the developed countries usually ensure that all intersections of two major roads have signals. On narrow streets, a roundabout (circle) is created. Unfortunately in India, everyone goes on the wrong side of a circle. I have seen the exceptions only in Goa (and to some extent in Mangalore too, but roundabouts are rapidly disappearing in Mangalore).

2. If the intersection is of a major road with a minor one, the traffic on the major road has the right of way (whether it is going straight or taking a turn into the smaller road). Sadly, this means that the vehicle on the smaller road has to keep waiting until traffic on major road is clear!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks