Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2013, 13:53   #14221
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Four of a family charred to death

Quote:
Four members of a family from the city died when a van in which they were travelling caught fire on National Highway 205 on the outskirts of Palamaner town on Wednesday morning.

The victims—Satyanarayana, 52, his wife, Mahalakshmi, 45, and their children, Prashanth Kumar, 27, and Deepa Mala, 23—were residents of Sampangirama Nagar in the city. They had gone to the temple town of Tirupati and were returning to the city when the accident occurred.

Satyanarayana, who was apparently driving the vehicle, Mahalakshmi and Deepa Mala who were asleep in the back seat were charred to death. Prashanth Kumar who was seated in the front seat managed to jump out. He was found with serious burns. He was rushed to hospital. Later, he also died.

A senior police official with Palamaner police station who visited the spot told Deccan Herald the accident occurred around 4:10 am. By the time they alerted fire services and rushed to the spot, the police found the van’s doors jammed.

Kanti Rana Tata, SP, Chittoor, told Deccan Herald that the police were investigating the cause of the fire.

Autopsies were conducted on the three bodies at Chittoor Government Hospital. The bodies were handed over to the relatives of the victims on Wednesday afternoon.
In TV they showed that it was a Maruti Omni van. And the local TV channel claimed that the van hit a tree.

Link
Old 10th October 2013, 16:35   #14222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
Point 1 : The Army Sepoy IS at fault for driving drunk.

Point 2 : Everyone who drives under influence need not be classified as GOON. Again re-iterating that he IS at Fault.

Point 3 : It is advisable NOT to generalize the whole profession on one person's random act of irresponsibility.

Just my two cents, No offense.
Definitely be classified a "criminal" based on crime committed if the word goon is itching you.

Btw, in India we use Paisa/Rupee, not Bucks/Cents.
Old 10th October 2013, 17:52   #14223
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

20 people were killed when an overloaded mini truck carrying them fell in a deep gorge in Manguwal village in Punjab today.
The people were pilgrims returning from Chintpurni shrine in Himachal Pradesh and were headed to Punjab's Kapurthala district when the accident occurred.
The accidents have also left 40 injured people.

Source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/23875888.cms

Wonder when will people in India stop playing with their lives in name of "thoda adjust karlo" - in this case the mini truck was overloaded with people.

Thanks,
Old 10th October 2013, 18:31   #14224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Wonder when will people in India stop playing with their lives in name of "thoda adjust karlo" - in this case the mini truck was overloaded with people. Thanks,
Let me offer a simple situation:
Me: kuch ho jata to? (what if something had happened)
The other guy: kuch hua to nahi na! (nothing happened, right)

This is the bane of our country! Nobody gives a damn about safety until the shit hits the fan (pardon my French)!

In India we're so used to neglecting safety! After an incident people weep and cry about the terrible loss (no offence), but nobody thinks of incorporating it in their lives and avoiding the loss in the first damn place!

Nothing's gonna change until each one of us changes out outlook towards safety! Not just you and me, everybody! Coz while you and me are being safe, as we should, someone else will come along and screw our happiness!

Last edited by benbsb29 : 12th October 2013 at 07:16. Reason: Edited post to a more neutral usage.
IronH4WK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 08:15   #14225
Senior - BHPian

There's an accident happened right at the Powai Plaza signal at Hiranadani Garden turn on the way to Powai. It involved a garbage dump truck, could see the front smashed which means it collided with a heavy vehicle either a bus or another dumper. The second vehicle wasnt in picture, could stop to take snaps. Traffic jam was already starting to build.
Old 11th October 2013, 13:57   #14226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
...if a driver is without license then he voids all claims in case of an accident even if the fault is not his.

That true?
Yes, except that third-party claims can be made and the insurer needs to honour them. The insurer can in turn sue the policy holder to recover this money, though (since the policy holder violated the terms of the policy by allowing an unlicensed person to drive the vehicle).
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2013, 13:39   #14227
BHPian

Just after Pali on Ghodbunder road on the eve of 6th oct. 3 cars and a Truck, i10 was sandwiched between a Ritz and a Indica. Don't know how it happened , there was a 1 km long traffic jam.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-altailj7mdxwcxtwwasjpqadphfb1xmsijlsf6h5ffcqo6.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-altanzhivb4oraz_vk5mx6j5ce7081rj5qi0b_vgyjwrng.jpg
Old 13th October 2013, 15:50   #14228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Yes, except that third-party claims can be made and the insurer needs to honour them. The insurer can in turn sue the policy holder to recover this money, though (since the policy holder violated the terms of the policy by allowing an unlicensed person to drive the vehicle).
My understanding is if a person is driving with a learner's licence, solo, the insurance company will deny his claim and he cannot claim third party compensation from the other party involved in the accident. In fact the other party can claim third party compensation from him. Info been given to me by an insurance surveyor. Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 13th October 2013, 17:04   #14229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damanshaheed View Post
My understanding is if a person is driving with a learner's licence, solo, the insurance company will deny his claim and he cannot claim third party compensation from the other party involved in the accident. In fact the other party can claim third party compensation from him. Info been given to me by an insurance surveyor. Correct me if I am wrong.
Damage to you and your vehicle is covered under the own damage clause, not under third-party clauses in your vehicle insurance. So the scenario you mention is irrelevant. If you allow your vehicle to be operated illegally or otherwise in contravention to the policy terms, then you lose the right to claim under the own damage clause. This is what your insurance surveryor is telling you.[1]

Similarly the other party cannot claim third-party damages from you - he has to claim own damage from his insurer.

Third parties enter into the picture as passengers in either vehicle, as pedestrians, as innocent bystanders etc. Their claims have to be paid out by all the insurance companies involved (the quantum and ratio is usually determined by the MACT, appealed, upheld or reduced etc.). My point is that an insurance company cannot refuse to pay third-party damages awarded by the courts saying that the vehicle was operated illegally - they have to pay up, and then try to recover their money from the policy holder.

[1] I think your driver, if affected by the accident, still can make a claim (the "paid driver" clause in your policy). I am not a lawyer to evaluate all the nuances of the law. I'm sure exceptions exist for friends/relatives borrowing your vehicle, and who knows? - even for vehicle thieves.
Old 13th October 2013, 22:40   #14230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortuner71 View Post
Yesterday night near Nandi hills . Brother in law of my friend was driving from Delhi to Bangalore . He is in hospital with lung and multiple fractures . Not sure how this happened awaiting details
Latest update is that he is fine and out of ICU , getting back to normal . Fractures to both wrists and legs .This happened while overtaking a truck , maybe a misjudgment .
Fortuner71 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 10:53   #14231
BHPian

Anyone saw accident vehicle near Total Mall, Doddenakundhi, bangalore.

A figo is hit everywhere, front, back & side and glasses broken and resting on the median facing the traffic. Another Fiesta/ikon parked on the left side of the road with a hit on the rear.

Not sure how it happened and there were lots of people around both the cars.
Old 16th October 2013, 11:01   #14232
BHPian

^ posted this incident in the Bangalore traffic rants thread. probably should have posted it here. Case of a couple of techies recklessly enjoying the suddenly empty Bangalore roads this week?
Old 16th October 2013, 18:17   #14233

Saw a ghastly accident on Hosur road, just before Attibele on the 14th of October around 8:30 am. 2 guys on a bike were literally torn apart. Flesh and guts of one guy was all over the place and the second guy had both his legs lying a few feet away. Scene was overwhelming to even think straight, forget taking a picture. Surprisingly there is not a word about the accident in any news paper or online. There was no other vehicle around so it looked like a hit and run or likely multiple vehicles had drove on the victims.

Anybody know more about the poor guys
raja2k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2013, 16:11   #14234
BHPian

This one came today in news paper. Accident happened near Sriperumpudhur on NH4 at around 340 AM.

The trailor guy transporting the wind mill blade and wanted to take a right turn. due to length he went left most lane and tried a right turn.
Bus driver noticed at the last moment that the trailor part is actually perpendicular to the road. Evasive action ripped the bus right side.

6 dead and several injured.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image.png  

Old 17th October 2013, 20:02   #14235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
^ posted this incident in the Bangalore traffic rants thread. probably should have posted it here. Case of a couple of techies recklessly enjoying the suddenly empty Bangalore roads this week?
Not exactly what you are thinking it to be. Dint you get a chance to spot the bus parked 100m further? It was neither the fault of the Figo nor the Skoda. The private bus had rammed into the Figo on the rightmost lane and then the Skoda that was on the leftmost lane. The bus that hit the cars was at 70+kmph whereas the cars were at 50s. The impact was so severe due to the bus ramming at the rear, that the Figo was catapulted towards the median and tossed in the air. How do I know about it? Becoz, I was the one in the Figo. Better not blame the drivers who are in the middle of the accident or bear the brunt. It is not essentially them who are always at fault. Please do show some restraint if you are not sure about the incident.
Electric is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed