Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2013, 22:10   #14251

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Did anybody see the Etios Liva accident near Maddur/ Mandya today?

No pictures, but the roof was nothing but a mangled heap. The entire roof was hanging just by the passenger side C-pillar- that should give you an idea of the impact. The way it looked, the car drove straight under a truck which probably had no crash-guards.

There was one lady who seemed to have barely walked away- but there was one more male passenger who wasn't as lucky. May God be with them.
Old 20th October 2013, 13:53   #14252
BHPian

Re: Car collides head on, 6 dead on spot, 2 million rupees on board!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajid33 View Post
He then told everyone that he was carrying more than 2 million rupees wrapped in plastic,in a secret pocket under the rear seat of his car,

To everybody's surprise, the money was still there! packed well in plastic.
i have witnesed something similar, on State highway between Mahabub nagar - Raichur there was this partly burnt fully rusted fiat padmini lying in a roadside pit for more than 5 yrs , i have seen / passed this car more than 50 times in so many years .The owner had passed into coma and once he had regained his senses he informed his relatives of 1 kg gold bars hidden in the roof panel and it was found intact . Great luck !
rm_arjuna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2013, 14:53   #14253
BHPian

saw a accident on Pune-Mumbai express highway.
An Audi A4 and a TATA Ace truck.

Any details ?

It looks the truck was going in in wrong direction on the expressway.
Old 21st October 2013, 09:00   #14254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric View Post
Thanks D'Artagnan and Dieseldunk, yes passengers in both the cars are safe. It was the seatbelts that saved us all - in both the cars. The car bore all the brunt and the seatbelts held us stuck to our seats, in what could have otherwise been a gory incident. The bus driver abandoned the vehicle and ran away in the confusion, when he understood the gravity of the situation. Roads were never safer, even if you were a safe driver - this being a testimony that I had to experience first hand.
Feel sorry for everyone involved, but what were you doing in the right most lane at 50s, shouldn't you be safely taking the middle or the left most and leave the fast lane for overtaking vehicle?

Edit: Just noticed the pic; looks like the bus failed to maintain the distance and brake in time for the speed breaker.
I noticed a similar one at Gundlupet yesterday evening. The following car must have rear ended another failing to anticipate the slowing car in the front.

Last edited by sgmitr13 : 21st October 2013 at 09:04.
Old 21st October 2013, 10:06   #14255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmitr13 View Post
Feel sorry for everyone involved, but what were you doing in the right most lane at 50s, shouldn't you be safely taking the middle or the left most and leave the fast lane for overtaking vehicle?
The speed limit on the ORR at this stretch is 60 and were closer to that. Not just that, the bus was in the middle lane few moments earlier to the incident. So, even if I had wished to move over the middle lane to let the moron speed past, there was nothing much we could do. Its a thin line between what we can possibly do and what the real situations are - difficult to reason, given the circumstances.
Old 21st October 2013, 10:23   #14256
Senior - BHPian

A freeway accident in Mumbai:

http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Defau...&ViewMode=HTML

Quote:
"Why the freeway is dangerous"
BIKERS
The biggest culprits, the police said, are bikers, for whom the stretch is out of bounds. Bikers from the Chembur side take the road as it reduces the travel time to South Mumbai from 45 minutes to 10 minutes. “The traffic police have done nothing to keep bikers off the stretch,” said an officer from the Dongri police station. "Cops should be posted at all entry/exit points.”
RACING
Speedsters have taken to pushing their machines to the limit on the Freeway in the dead of the night. A racing enthusiast who did not want to be named said racers have lost interest in stretches like Marine drive, Bandra bandstand, and Worli Sea Face. “The number of racers coming to the Freeway has been rising,” he said. “Some place bets ranging from Rs 1,000 to Rs 10,000. There has been no crackdown.”
DANGEROUS CURVES
A traffic police officer said it is dangerous to speed on the Freeway as there are three sharp turns on the elevated stretch – near the HPCL refinery, near Wadala and at Wadibunder. “We expect motorists to understand these facts,” sid the official. “We have placed rumblestrips at the curves and warnings. People should respect rules.”
NO CHECKS
With a signal-free 9-kilometre elevated road, most drivers think it is okay to speed on the Freeway.

Last edited by _raVan_ : 21st October 2013 at 10:25.
_raVan_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2013, 12:48   #14257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajslave View Post
Did anybody see the Etios Liva

There was one lady who seemed to have barely walked away- but there was one more male passenger who wasn't as lucky. May God be with them.
I happened to pass thru the spot en-route to Mysore just minutes after it had happened , took a snap from my blackberry (not very clear as I was in the passenger seat and had to crane to get a snap). It was pretty bad and I think the air bags had been deployed. Later learnt that one person had died unfortunately.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image2537163528.jpg  

mazda4life is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2013, 13:27   #14258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajslave View Post
Did anybody see the Etios Liva accident near Maddur/ Mandya today?

No pictures, but the roof was nothing but a mangled heap. The entire roof was hanging just by the passenger side C-pillar- that should give you an idea of the impact. The way it looked, the car drove straight under a truck which probably had no crash-guards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
I happened to pass thru the spot en-route to Mysore just minutes after it had happened , took a snap from my blackberry (not very clear as I was in the passenger seat and had to crane to get a snap). . Later learnt that one person had died unfortunately.
Did this happen around 4-5 PM in the evening on Saturday? If yes, my cousin who was driving to Bangalore passed this spot moments after it happened, but he says he saw the lady being pulled out and was bleeding profusely, while the driver, a male seemed to be reasonably alright and limped out himself. Yes, they had rear ended a lorry. The lady could be pulled out only after the locals stripped open the roof it seems. My cousin seemed to be quite shaken after seeing all that.
Old 21st October 2013, 14:29   #14259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Did this happen around 4-5 PM in the evening on Saturday? If yes, my cousin who was driving to Bangalore passed this spot
We could not stop at the spot due to traffic and there was already a crowd milling around. I heard about the single fatality from another relative who came in a bit later, hope it was not the case.
Old 21st October 2013, 14:46   #14260
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

Two unfortunate accidents yesterday:

1. Two cousins killed on Mumbai - Goa Highway: 8 Members of a family from Kandivali had hired a car to attend a relative's funeral at Khed. While returning a truck hit the vehicle on right side near Karnala Bird Sanctury killing Ravindra Upale (43) & Surekha Pimpale (38).
Now comes the irony - Senior inspector S Bajare said - "The stretch near the Karnala sanctuary is prone to accidents, We have requested public works department officials to provide speed-breakers on the stretch but to no avail."
I do not understand the delay in implementing the safety features on a deadly accident prone highway.

Source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/24454730.cms

2. Two bikers killed on Eastern Freeway: While riding at high speed on Eastern Freeway (where are bikers are not allowed) well past midnight, the rider lost control of the bike & two of the riders died while the third one (16 year old) is seriously injured.

One of the dead was thrown off the bridge & fell approx 30 ft below only to have his body crushed.

Source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/24455037.cms

Thanks,
Old 21st October 2013, 15:02   #14261
BHPian

Yesterday night around 1:30 am there was an accident at Golf Course road, Bangalore; almost near Windsor Manor circle.

Trailer carrying machinery's had met with some accident.

Any information on it?
Old 21st October 2013, 17:25   #14262
BHPian

Last night witnessed a really bad accident. On my way home in Powai from Thane at around 1.30 am i was on the flyover above the Airoli - Mulund junction on the Eastern Express Highway. There was a couple on a Honda Dio in the first lane, just a few mtrs behind the Dio was a Santro Taxi in the second lane, I was driving a couple of mtrs behind the Santro Taxi in the second lane itself and there was another couple on a Pulsar in the left most lane almost at the same distance as the taxi. All of us must have been doing decent two digit speeds, when suddenly I notice the Honda Dio do a sudden maneuver and move from the first lane to in front of the taxi in the second lane and it appeared as if he was suddenly for some reason trying to move from the first lane to the last lane. While i saw the Honda Dio suddenly come in front of the taxi in the second lane from the right side, i could not see what happened in the front but saw sparks fly, the Dio almost flew then hit the ground and was sliding out from the left front side of the taxi. I actually saw the lady on the scooter roll from in front of the taxi to the last lane and the guy riding the scooter was dragged along with the scooter and hit the Pulsar in the third lane as well pretty hard which resulted in the couple on the Pulsar also fell off the bike pretty bad.

I slowed down and parked the car on the side, while the santro taxi slowed down initially but then drove off. I got off my car to see if the four of them were fine and needed help, expecting to see the worst as the impact was pretty bad. Miraculously all 4 of them were sitting up, while the male riders seemed unhurt, both the ladies seemed to have received some very serious injuries. The Honda Dio was smashed beyond belief and repair to the extent that the rear wheel assembly itself had been torn off. A few other vehicles and bikes also stopped to help and surprisingly within not even 2 minutes of the accident, 2 cops arrived who sent a radio message and within the next few seconds a police jeep drove up the wrong side of the flyover. Since now there were more than the required number of people required to help and since there was a lady sitting in my car alone I decided to make a move before someone decided to make me a part of the accident or a witness to it.

Although I am pretty sure the taxi did hit the Honda Dio specially after seeing its condition, i am pretty sure it was not the taxi driver at fault as i did see the Honda Dio suddenly move in front of the taxi. The most horrific part of the accident for me which is still stuck in my head was the way the lady on the Dio flew, fell on the road and rolled to the last lane. It is really sad that there is no strict rule on pillion riders wearing helmets in Maharshtra.
vvb8530 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 12:17   #14263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvb8530 View Post
The most horrific part of the accident for me which is still stuck in my head was the way the lady on the Dio flew, fell on the road and rolled to the last lane. It is really sad that there is no strict rule on pillion riders wearing helmets in Maharshtra.
This is scary. Unfortunately it seems time is more expensive than lives in India and we keep taking such risks.

Yesterday on the Old Airport Road, I saw a guy on an Activa with a lady pillion (no helmets, of course) weaving in an out of traffic and doing some serious dangerous moves. And this was all along where vehicles were travelling at decent (40+) speeds. I really wanted to catch up to they guy and ask him to at least spare the pillion but that would have meant taking a risk, which was simply not worth it.

We see such scary stats of road deaths everyday but still don't seem to learn.
Old 22nd October 2013, 13:44   #14264
Distinguished - BHPian

While coming to Patna yesterday, on the Mahatma Gandhi setu, saw an accident happening infront of me. Due to ongoing work on the bridge, the traffic is kind of regulated. To avoid these areas, bikers will climb on the footpath and drive and then join the main road where the footpath is blocked. A biker while doing the same stunt got unbalanced and his bike came under the wheels of a truck. All this happened so fast that I could not react. The bike was squashed to pulp, thankfully the biker escaped unscathed. Morons everywhere.
Old 23rd October 2013, 10:02   #14265
Senior - BHPian

Saw these two pictures in Mathrubhumi today:

2 buses collided near Varam, on Kannur-Mattannur highway. Accident occured when one bus was trying to overtake another vehicle. 15 people were injured.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-mb_acc.jpg

A jeep lost control and ended up inside a well near Palottupally, Iritty-Mattannur road. A schoolboy was seriously injured.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-mb_acc2.jpg

images courtesy: mathrubhumi.com
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed