Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2013, 23:27   #14356
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Here's the full info about the bus from the AP Transport Dept. website. Looks like it has a huge political backing
Did I see the STATUS as INACTVE
What does that actually mean ?

I am not surprised at its registration as a Contract Carriage. I can safely say that all Private Volvo operators have the same class of registration, except the KSRTC / APSRTC Volvos. This needs to be thoroughly checked by the RTO.
Old 2nd November 2013, 06:36   #14357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here's the full info about the bus from the AP Transport Dept. website. Looks like it has a huge political backing
Diwakar roadlines has leased out this Volvo to Jabbar travels. Diwakar is just the registered owner in this case.
Diwakar, as I read one of the newspapers is a politician in AP.

Regards
Old 2nd November 2013, 07:23   #14358
Senior - BHPian

I am not really surprised to see the name Jabbar come up.

I had misfortune of travelling in Bus operated by Jabbar Travels way back in 2007. At that time they were totally unprofessional bunch of guys. They forced me to vacate my seat and pushed me to the last seat as someone known to them turned up and they offered him my seat. Needless to say they were very rude and almost pushed me out of my seat.
In the night at around 2 AM, they even turned off the AC. Maybe they thought it will save them money.
I will not be surprised if the driver was driving ill-maintained Volvo like a maniac to meet tight schedules.
Old 2nd November 2013, 07:42   #14359
Senior - BHPian

An uncle who's been in the transport industry for long thought there would have been crackers in the cargo bay of the bus. Seems it's quite common for customers and bus operators to be carrying it during festive season! Quite shocking. I mean, are we so dumb that we don't even consider the chance of an accident like this?

Just another statistic. Nothing will come out of the "investigation". They might even blame volvo!
Old 2nd November 2013, 07:45   #14360
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
. Note: If one notices the petrol bunk near HSR Layout (before Mantri apartment) in Bangalore, one can see a long line of "Bose is Boss" Volvos parked. And guess what I have seen while refueling my car - The drivers / conductors cooking in the luggage compartment. Yes, I have seen cooking stove and gas cylinder being placed in the luggage compartment and people sitting inside the luggage compartment and cooking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
I spoke to a friend who makes Fuel tanks for trucks. He mentioned that the VOlvo tanks are made of plastic! I was just shocked when I heard this.
Cooking inside the luggage compartment! Wow! This is distinctly possible knowing our people's penchant for shortcuts. I would think they would tend to use Kerosene fuelled stoves though like the lorry drivers do. What beats me is that they cook 'inside' the luggage compartment! I guess it is to keep out of the breeze.

Ref Fuel tanks. Most vehicles these days have synthetic fuel tanks. In cars I think it has been the case right from when the Hyundai Santro was introduced.

As long as we have poor, un-enforced safety norms and as long as we have such a huge population and continue to consider 'life' as a 'cheap commodity', things will never change.

The furore in this will die down after a few weeks. AP Government will provide some ex gratia payment to the kin of the relatives. The operator will be made to pay some fines and life will go on as usual. Let us never forget that most of these inter state transport operators and goods transporters etc have some kind of political clout, connections and indeed, could be a method for our scumbag politicos to launder their black money.

This is a murky world where regular people like us do not figure at all. I don't think we can even begin to understand the powers at work here behind the scenes!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2013, 12:30   #14361
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
As long as we have poor, un-enforced safety norms and as long as we have such a huge population and continue to consider 'life' as a 'cheap commodity', things will never change.

The furore in this will die down after a few weeks. AP Government will provide some ex gratia payment to the kin of the relatives. The operator will be made to pay some fines and life will go on as usual. Let us never forget that most of these inter state transport operators and goods transporters etc have some kind of political clout, connections and indeed, could be a method for our scumbag politicos to launder their black money.

This is a murky world where regular people like us do not figure at all. I don't think we can even begin to understand the powers at work here behind the scenes!
I've often been tempted to question that line. But I know that it will be cajoling, threats and then physical violence that I will be threatened with. And political clout is no small thing either in our country. They will not hesitate to do away with people who question.
Old 2nd November 2013, 12:45   #14362
Senior - BHPian

I was about to post the cooking thing and glad that its already posted. The whole lower deck is used as a kitchen. I am not sure if they leave the gas and stoves in there all the time.

Also, I guess its a great way of saving tax on your goods to send them via passenger carriers.
Old 2nd November 2013, 19:49   #14363
Senior - BHPian

I read in a local newspaper that the luggage compartment of the Volvo had sacks of "hairs" which helped in spreading the fire so quickly. I don't know how much authentic this report was. It was reported that some forensic team provided this information.
Old 4th November 2013, 08:08   #14364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A speeding car ran over three persons, including a policeman on duty, near Light House on Kamarajar Salai in the early hours of Saturday.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-04thlighthouse_1640953f.jpg

Source: The Hindu
Old 4th November 2013, 10:30   #14365
BHPian

Brand new "i10 Grand" over divider on Diwali day, my heart goes to the new owner

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20131103_170710668.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20131103_170710769.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20131103_170710895.jpg

Cheers !!!
Old 4th November 2013, 10:59   #14366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milestone View Post
Brand new "i10 Grand" over divider on Diwali day, my heart goes to the new owner

Attachment 1161767

Attachment 1161768

Attachment 1161769

Cheers !!!
Did this take place on ORR after Intel flyover Sunday afternoon? My wife was travelling in a volvo and witnessed this accident.
Old 4th November 2013, 11:26   #14367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Did this take place on ORR after Intel flyover Sunday afternoon? My wife was travelling in a volvo and witnessed this accident.
Ya, you are correct. It happened on Outer Ring Road opp to New Horizon College & not near Intel. I passed around 5 in the evening and saw this car, later in the evening it was towed away.

Any details how it happened ? I guess the driver instead of applying brakes, pressed the accelerator accidentally.

Cheers !!!
Old 4th November 2013, 13:17   #14368
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
A speeding car ran over three persons, including a policeman on duty, near Light House on Kamarajar Salai in the early hours of Saturday.
Source: The Hindu
The Hindu also mentions that the driver, a student, was drunk. Three people died, including an on-duty policeman.

Alcohol increases confidence and reduces ability. And ruins lives.

The guy is under arrest on a non-bailable charge.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2013, 13:47   #14369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milestone View Post
Ya, you are correct. It happened on Outer Ring Road opp to New Horizon College & not near Intel. I passed around 5 in the evening and saw this car, later in the evening it was towed away.

Any details how it happened ? I guess the driver instead of applying brakes, pressed the accelerator accidentally.

Cheers !!!
The car was brand new , probably delivery taken yesterday only. It was being driven in speed even before accident. Suddenly it climbed the divider ; my guess brake - accelerator confusion. Passengers were not hurt. I feel sad for the car owner, accident on maybe the first day of ownership.

Last edited by ankan.m.blr : 4th November 2013 at 13:49.
Old 4th November 2013, 14:44   #14370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The Hindu also mentions that the driver, a student, was drunk. Three people died, including an on-duty policeman.

Alcohol increases confidence and reduces ability. And ruins lives.

The guy is under arrest on a non-bailable charge.
TOI reported that the 21 year old Loyola college student was driving under influence of alcohol. His sister and another friend were there in the car at the time of the accident. They were returning from a party at a hotel on Anna Salai. The sister and friend apparently were not drunk but were taken into police custody for allowing a person under influence of alcohol to drive.

The car involved was a VW Vento by the way.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks