Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2013, 10:09   #14401
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Six of Ahmedabad family killed in expressway accident

Tragedy struck two families on their way from Ahmedabad to Saputara. Of the six dea four are young children !! Innocent young lives snatched in a tragic hit and run case. All 6 died as they waited for the tire change of their parked car in the service lane of the Ahmedabad Vadodara Expressway .

Here are the details of the tragedy

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/25403419.cms

Last edited by sanjz : 8th November 2013 at 10:14.
Old 8th November 2013, 10:21   #14402
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjz View Post
All 6 died as they waited for the tire change of their parked car in the service lane of the Ahmedabad Vadodara Expressway .
So many accidents in the last 2 weeks that has snatched many precious lives. We drove on this stretch of NE1 on last Wednesday night to Bangalore and I was surprised to see many private cars using the shoulder to overtake slow moving vehicles on the regular lanes at night. The road that I once showed as an example of lane discipline has now literally transformed into a messy affair over the last 3 years. This was one highway where you flash your lights during the day time and folks would move left to be overtaken. However, my experience a week before was completely in contrast with this.

With such practices of driving on the shoulder becoming a norm of the day in almost all the expressways including the Mumbai-Pune expressway, It seems parking on the shoulder for any emergency is inviting death!!

May the souls RIP!!
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 10:22   #14403
Distinguished - BHPian

One more bus goes on fire, this time its KSRTC, narrow escape for passengers.
http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...?homepage=true
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-08bgcty341_1645254g.jpg  

Old 8th November 2013, 10:36   #14404
BHPian

Quote:
With such practices of driving on the shoulder becoming a norm of the day in almost all the expressways including the Mumbai-Pune expressway, It seems parking on the shoulder for any emergency is inviting death!!

May the souls RIP!!
The absence of lane discipline, total disregard for traffic rules , driving aggressively and in a manner to intimidate co users of the highway /expressway has become more of a norm than exception these days. People now tend to believe that Expressways are like runway strips where you just floor the accelerator and drive in total disregard for others.!! Moreover this is something which can be observed more amongst the drivers from Gujarat whose discipline of driving has deteriorated even more after the introduction of high speed luxury cars, wherein they are led to think that they own the roads, and that thier vehicles because of the advance technology in them can never crash. All I can say is that they need to refresh their physics and relearn the laws of gravity .!!

Last edited by benbsb29 : 9th November 2013 at 08:51. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
Old 8th November 2013, 15:11   #14405
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
....The first car's sole occupant, a 17-year old plus-two student also died.

http://www.mathrubhumi.com/mobile/ma...Latest&sub=362
Did you mean to say the first car was driven by a 17 year old?
Old 8th November 2013, 15:40   #14406
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
He meant a 17 year old 12th Grade student (10+2).
Old 8th November 2013, 16:38   #14407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Oops - "plus-two" is the Kerala term for class XII. This car was driven by a 17-year old, class XII student (from multiple online sources).
Old 8th November 2013, 17:24   #14408
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
He meant a 17 year old 12th Grade student (10+2).
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Oops - "plus-two" is the Kerala term for class XII. This car was driven by a 17-year old, class XII student (from multiple online sources).
Well, since I am Keralite, I do understand "+2" usage. My concern was the guy is ineligible for a license (17 years old) and such parents need to be whacked for giving him the car and that too without anybody monitoring him!!
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 18:01   #14409
BHPian

From the latest update on the thrissur accident, the police filed case against the dead teen's father for letting the under age driver take the car.

At the same time, on other side, there are certain limitations that parents face, these hot blooded teens go the extent of beating up dads and moms to get bike/scooter keys, they sometimes create so much trouble at home that parents end up being helpless. I personally know of few cases where teens get violent to get money, car/bike keys. Some ended up in major problems and still paying for it with lost limbs, paralyzed body and guilt !

I am not generalizing though.
sunishsamuel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th November 2013, 08:32   #14410
BHPian

Read in today's Malayalam news paper that an Income Tax dept. officer died in bike accident in Panampilly Nagar, Kochi. The accident was caused by colliding with another bikes (s) ridden by 2 guys in early 20s. Police is investigating if the 2 guys were involved in bike racing.

Anyone got more info on this?

Couple of years back I remember seeing such events in Panampilly Nagar but then police increased their patrolling which bought an end to these acts.
Old 11th November 2013, 02:11   #14411
Senior - BHPian

Met with a small accident on my bike this Sunday morning. Low sided my bike on the Kathipara bridge. For some reason, for a moment I took my eyes of the road and was pondering on some thing, then I leaned in to the curve, all of a sudden I lost my front and was a passenger after that. The moment the bike crashed on the road, it got switched off. It is a safety feature, I think most fuel injected bikes have. I let go the bike, it started sliding towards the barrier but stopped just inches before it.

Luckily, it was early morning and the traffic was sparse, more than that there were no vehicles behind me at that time.

I was wearing(I always do) my jacket and it saved me from bruises. The one thing I learned from this crash is the importance of knee protector, sadly wasn't wearing one. Both my knee got bruises the size of a two rupee coin.

This where I lost the front end of the bike.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-vlcsnap2013111021h33m20s13.jpg

The bike came to a halt here.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-vlcsnap2013111021h33m30s16.jpg

My bruised bike, got scratches on the fairing, clutch lever, pillion rider foot rest. The gear lever got bend, got it repaired by a road side mechanic for 30 bucks .
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-vlcsnap2013111021h34m17s142.jpg

Hero of the day.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-vlcsnap2013111021h35m38s221.jpg

After taking rest the whole after noon, went straight to Spartan pro gear and got this, Knee armour(~2500Rs). I also got a gloves(2100 Rs) since my "alpine star" gloves that I got from Planet DSG had gone bad. I seriously doubt the gloves I got from them is original.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
I have quite a bad experience with this pair of gloves. The gloves got torn within 6 months/ 8000Km use. I found the leather used, to be so thin that its getting torn easily. More embarrassing is that my left hand thumb is having a hole.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image2181.jpg
ecenandu is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th November 2013, 04:17   #14412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post

There was a thread recently on what speeds a Volvo's can do and there were people who stated it can go to 160kmh. The bus may or can do that . But even on an expressway in our country, driving a good handling car at that speeds is suicide, then comes a bread box on wheels doing the same.
A bus doing 160 kmph
Majority of the countries the legal limit for Buses are between 60-100 KMPH. And there is a good reason for it. Why can't Volvo put a speed limiter for their buses, in fact all the new buses including Vovlo, MB, SCANIA etc. We have legal speed limits, but neither there is no enforcement from the bureaucrats nor the public care much about the road safety.....

it really sad to see a series of such accidents happened and there is very little initiatives from the government side!!
Old 11th November 2013, 09:22   #14413
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajtheindian View Post
Why can't Volvo put a speed limiter for their buses, in fact all the new buses including Vovlo, MB, SCANIA etc.
Even for vehicles which has speed limiters there is a way to fool it. We had hired an Innova taxi last week for a trip and driver was saying the speed was set at 60KMPH by a speed limiter. However they give it to showroom and bye-pass the circuit by paying Rs.600.
I am not sure how it is done but I guess the practice is common. Few days back there was a news about KL transport commissioner getting in to a bus for surprise check and cancelling the permit since he saw the speed limiter was bye-passed.
Old 11th November 2013, 10:45   #14414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Even for vehicles which has speed limiters there is a way to fool it. We had hired an Innova taxi last week for a trip and driver was saying the speed was set at 60KMPH by a speed limiter. However they give it to showroom and bye-pass the circuit by paying Rs.600.
I am not sure how it is done but I guess the practice is common. Few days back there was a news about KL transport commissioner getting in to a bus for surprise check and cancelling the permit since he saw the speed limiter was bye-passed.
If an entire ECU remap can be done to boost power and economy, then bypassing an electronically set speed-limiter, which is just a piece of code inside the chip, is as easy as it gets.

The KL transport commissioner happened to see a bus (a Fast Passenger bus of the KSRTC Palakkad depot) that was going way too fast, and he assigned an RTO team to check on it. They passed the message to their counterparts at the destination depot of the bus, where it was found that the speed governor was disconnected/not functional.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2013, 13:45   #14415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Met with a small accident on my bike this Sunday morning. Low sided my bike on the Kathipara bridge. For some reason, for a moment I took my eyes of the road and was pondering on some thing, then I leaned in to the curve, all of a sudden I lost my front and was a passenger after that. The moment the bike crashed on the road, it got switched off. It is a safety feature, I think most fuel injected bikes have. I let go the bike, it started sliding towards the barrier but stopped just inches before it.
Hi @ecenandu,

Thank god you are safe.

It seems you were so engrossed your thoughts that you did not notice the loose mud, & gravel & took the plunge (turn) at speeds higher than recommended on the surface. When, on bike, I encounter such surface, I go extra slow (despite food tyres in equally good condition) so that I do not slip.

Please do respect the road more than your vehicle's dynamic in future, especially in India. This will ensure this kind of accidents do not happen.

Last edited by GTO : 12th November 2013 at 19:08. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks