Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2013, 09:55   #14431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulZire View Post
This is a very dangerous curve, it is a sharp right turn in a descending slope.
First timers in this stretch will definitely have some surprises .
Very aptly said.

I was a victim of surprise on this section. I was just cruising at 100, and couldn't judge the curve and gradient and I ended up entering the curve carrying excess speed. I didn't look at the speedo, but the downhill slope added some more speed. Thank heavens, I was able to correct the situation. This is a very tricky spot.

I don't know if adding speed breakers is the solution, but something needs to be done to make this section safer. The opposite side is safe as the trucks are slow uphill and there's always a crawling jam.
Old 15th November 2013, 11:41   #14432
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
The TT that has frontal damage (going towards Marathalli) has gone and hit a tree. Apparently one person got injured in this. The other TT accidentally got onto the divider as the driver was busy looking at the banged up TT on the other side. Both are separate incidents. Not sure if the overturned TT had any occupants. Both incidents happened at night.
Just now saw one banged up TT on the side towards Sarjapur.
The front of the TT looks totalled !! Shocking scene.
I was on a good speed on the service lane, a few bikers stopped and when I recalled about your post, I had crossed the scene, so didn't stop by to click.
I didn't see the toppled TT on the other side of the road though.

I feel this has something to do with the fresh laying of the cement blocks to make a solid divider. One or two pieces may have been left abruptly and may be while negotiating one of em' at a high speed, the TT could have ended up ramming into a tree !! Just a passing thought.
There have been instances where every Bangalorean (including me) have been surprised with sudden cement blocks on roads.

Waiting for a report in newspapers.
Old 15th November 2013, 12:02   #14433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
The TT that has frontal damage (going towards Marathalli) has gone and hit a tree. Apparently one person got injured in this. The other TT accidentally got onto the divider as the driver was busy looking at the banged up TT on the other side. Both are separate incidents. Not sure if the overturned TT had any occupants. Both incidents happened at night.
Attaching a pic. I noticed this while crossing the section of road, it was early in the morning and already leading to a traffic pileup.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20131115_073653.jpg  

Last edited by gurudutt : 15th November 2013 at 12:04.
Old 15th November 2013, 12:05   #14434
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurudutt View Post
Attaching a pic.
The flipped TT suggests high speeds coupled with the wheels probably climbing onto something big and/or a sudden swerve by the driver. Most office TTs are driven rashly around Bangalore.

Just because it is powered by a Mercedes derived OM 616 engine, drivers drive like they are driving an SLK.

Last edited by n.devdath : 15th November 2013 at 12:08.
Old 17th November 2013, 09:02   #14435
BHPian

Nellore: 13 were traveling in a Tata Sumo, 8 of whom died right there, after their driver veered into the right, straight into the path of an oncoming truck.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...?homepage=true

In another incident in Karnataka, a goods truck carrying labourers on their way to their remote jobs overturned killing 22. Most of them died due to the weight of the grains and luggage they were carrying.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...?homepage=true
Old 18th November 2013, 14:49   #14436
DRC
BHPian

Ford Eco-sport:2 weeks ago, Coming back from Hospet, close to Chitradurga, I saw a white Ford eco sport whose front suspension (both sides) had collapsed.
Surprisingly, there was no evidence of frontal collision, broken body panels, bumpers etc., but air bags had popped. I was told by the cop guarding the wreckage that no one was hurt thankfully.
Looked like it had veered to the right hand side of the road. Have no idea what had happened. One suspect can be that the pot holes played havoc with the suspension, but this was on relatively smooth stretch of the road.

Sorry, I have no pictures.
DRC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2013, 16:22   #14437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC View Post
Ford Eco-sport:2 weeks ago, Coming back from Hospet, close to Chitradurga, I saw a white Ford eco sport whose front suspension (both sides) had collapsed.
Surprisingly, there was no evidence of frontal collision, broken body panels, bumpers etc., but air bags had popped. I was told by the cop guarding the wreckage that no one was hurt thankfully.
Looked like it had veered to the right hand side of the road. Have no idea what had happened. One suspect can be that the pot holes played havoc with the suspension, but this was on relatively smooth stretch of the road.

Sorry, I have no pictures.
Was of someone I know if it was on 3rd Nov. The driver "lost control" went across the road and hit the culvert. Happened around 1:30 PM in the afternoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC View Post
Pray everyone is safe! I saw at about 6 in the evening. It had rained that day, and the road was nastily slippery with red mud on the surface.

It served as a reminder for us to drive safe on the highway back home.
No one was hurt, thanks to proper use of seat belts.

Last edited by LobsterB : 18th November 2013 at 16:45. Reason: Reply for following query
Old 18th November 2013, 16:34   #14438
DRC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterB View Post
Was of someone I know if it was on 3rd Nov. The driver "lost control" went across the road and hit the culvert. Happened around 1:30 PM in the afternoon.
Pray everyone is safe! I saw at about 6 in the evening. It had rained that day, and the road was nastily slippery with red mud on the surface.

It served as a reminder for us to drive safe on the highway back home.
Old 19th November 2013, 14:45   #14439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Just recd these pics from my cousin.
Holy cow, am shocked. Any idea, how on earth this car ended up being like this?
Old 19th November 2013, 15:27   #14440
Senior - BHPian

Oh MY DAYS, either it would have been on the spot death or an earth shattering walk away. Either ways, pretty brutal picture.
Old 19th November 2013, 17:30   #14441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Going by the registration on the car and a truck in the background, it seems to be in MH. Someone from around Mumbai/Pune might be able to identify the highway with guard rails in the divider/median.
I thought it was the MPEW. Anyone can confirm?
Old 19th November 2013, 17:35   #14442
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post

Seems more like the Ghodbunder Manor Vapi section of NH8 to me. The MPEW doesn't have such railings on majority of its stretch IIRC
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 17:39   #14443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I think MPEW had much wider medians (at least a car's width) separating both ways of traffic while this seems to be a very small median. Even the width of the roads seems to be smaller than MPEW. Could be some portion of the NH I think. Anyway, Mumbai/Pune BHP-ians would know.

Without the guard rails, the car might have easily jumped over the median onto the incoming traffic. Of course, there is also the chance that it might have avoided the accident in the first place.
Old 19th November 2013, 19:13   #14444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

Seems more like the Ghodbunder Manor Vapi section of NH8 to me. The MPEW doesn't have such railings on majority of its stretch IIRC
I too think it is the section of NH8 that connects GJ to Mumbai .
Old 19th November 2013, 21:11   #14445
BHPian

In Amritsar ten of a family killed as car falls into canal.

http://www.ndtv.com/article/cities/a...om=home-cities

Most Viewed