Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2013, 01:08   #14461
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
^
1) Engine is missing oil cap, hot oil spil may have caused fire
Did it occur to you that plastic melts with fire? The oil cap in all probability has melted after the fire sparked to life.

Quote:
2) The IT capital (so called) does not have fire brigades? What do they do with highest tax income in the country?
Not sure, but I see a fire engine in one of the pics.
DRIV3R is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 01:12   #14462
BHPian

Saw an accident just outside my house (Santhome High Road, Chennai).

A Fortuner hit the Pondicherry CM's convoy which consisted of a Scorpio, the CM's CRV and I hope there was a car behind the CRV.

Scorpio had a bumper guard which I believe protected its front but there can be damage to the chassis too. There was extensive damage to the Scorpio's right fender, Right A Pillar, front and rear doors. The CM's CRV suffered damage to both the doors and the rear right wheel.
The Pondicherry CM was shifted to another car and he proceeded. Scorpio's driver/Police constable was injured. The driver of the CRV changed the rear tyre and slowly drove off.

Fortuner can be considered totalled and the driver fled the scene as narrated by a passerby. It seems that the Fortuner belongs to a ruling party member since the police were protecting its number plate. All media persons gathered and there was big commotion. The police recovery van towed the Fortuner, but the front license plate along with the front bumper was on the road. In order to protect the identity, the police threw the bumper inside the school campus. Apologies for the crappy picture since they were taken by my cellphone.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_0378.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_0379.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_0384.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_0392.jpg

Last edited by Jack Sparrow : 25th November 2013 at 01:30.
Jack Sparrow is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 11:06   #14463
BHPian

Quote:
^
2) The IT capital (so called) does not have fire brigades? What do they do with highest tax income in the country?
A water tanker was used to put out the fire and the fire brigade arrived after half an hour or so. Pretty decent according to me.
Old 25th November 2013, 13:56   #14464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Somewhere near Salem. Punto was doing triple digits and hit a Tata Safari head on. Guys in Punto were being irresponsible by not wearing seat belts but still they walked out with minor injuries. No cabin intrusion for an Active trim which has thinner front impact beam.

Always wear a seatbelt!

Attachment 1169151

Attachment 1169152

Source: FMC on FB

Here is the pic of the Safari which took the Punto head-on, or rather otherwise.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1450677_10151691026765755_1791305668_n.jpg

This pic should also depict how important seatbelts are! The Safari occupants had head injuries, you can check to windshield as to why. (You can also see the Punto in the BG)
DRIV3R is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 16:41   #14465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Sparrow View Post
Saw an accident just outside my house (Santhome High Road, Chennai).

A Fortuner hit the Pondicherry CM's convoy which consisted of a Scorpio, the CM's CRV and I hope there was a car behind the CRV......
Attaching a few pictures courtesy of The Hindu and Deccan Chronicle. Detailed report of the crash in the links below.

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/13112...nvolved-mishap

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper...cle5388225.ece
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-24novash03_car_25_1663840e.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-25pondy-cm.jpg  

prithviq8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 18:47   #14466
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^

OT:
Look at it the other way. There are good enough people around to assist during emergencies.
The water tanker would have been passing by when people would have waved it down and the driver obliged knowing by the time a fire engine comes, the car will be just the shell.

Btw, Bangalore has a good fire response team which includes Volvos and Royal Enfield Bullet fire response motorcycles.

Regards

Last edited by tharian : 25th November 2013 at 18:53.
tharian is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 18:54   #14467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiransri_bng View Post
In Amritsar ten of a family killed as car falls into canal.

http://www.ndtv.com/article/cities/a...om=home-cities
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurudutt View Post
10 people in a car?? Clearly seems like a case of overloading and losing control while negotiating a curve. Since they were heading to the railway station, might have been in hurry too. People here would never learn how a vehicle's handling, braking and dynamics change even with the addition of one more person, they could at least bother to drive slow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Article says 6 adults and 4 children and doesn't mention which car. If the car in question is an MPV, this is not a case of overloading beyond the limits of the car. Its unlikely that the combined weight of 3 men, 3 women and 4 children would exceed the weight of 8 men, which would be the seating capacity for an MPV.

Also, no where in the article did they mention that it was a case of fast driving. If the bridge didn't have side rails, even a small error in judgement can cause the vehicle to fall over the edge, especially when there are bends. You need not be driving fast.

Quote from the news article:

There was an instance in Kerala a while back, when a jeep carrying school children had a narrow escape, when it almost fell off at a curve in a bridge without side rails - one of the front wheels went beyond the edge of the bridge. Luckily, the driver realized it and stopped immediately and all children escaped through the rear door. Reading this report reminded me of that incident.
Guys the Car was a indica DLG and the road was tooo narrow and it was foggy,the driver probably was not able to judge properly and drove the car straight into the pond,the car had minimal structural damage as i saw in the pictures;all occupants died due to drowning.
Old 26th November 2013, 10:34   #14468
BHPian

Tragic accident in Bangalore
source : ToI Blr edition
Quote:
Car jumps median, three die in crash
TIMES NEWS NETWORK

Bangalore: A woman and two men were killed after their Maruti Wagon R jumped the median and hit two vehicles on Sumanahalli Outer Ring Road, West Bangalore, on Monday evening.
J Bhavyshree, G Prasad and Naveen Kumar, all 23 and residents of Jalahalli, were sitting in the backseat, while their friend, Bharat S Kumar, was driving. The quartet was returning after attending a friend’s marriage in Mysore.
The car was speeding. “On reaching Sumanahalli flyover around 4.30pm, the driver lost control over the steering and the vehicle moved in a zig-zag manner. Then it jumped the road median and rammed a Toyota Innova and a Tata Ace coming from the opposite direction,” police quoted eyewitnesses as saying.
Bhavyashree and Prasad were killed instantly, while Naveen Kumar succumbed to injuries later in hospital. “Bharat and Shivraj, the Tata Ace driver, suffered grievous injuries. They were moved to a private hospital nearby. Shivraj lost both his hands and a leg,” traffic police said, adding: “The Innova driver, Somasundar, was shifted to a private hospital with injuries, and is stable.”

I feel really sorry for the Tata Ace driver and his family.
Old 26th November 2013, 10:40   #14469
Senior - BHPian

^^ "Losing control of steering and car moving in zig-zag manner before jumping median" ; looks like a case of sudden tyre burst at high speed to me.

Last edited by Gansan : 26th November 2013 at 10:41.
Gansan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 10:42   #14470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Tragic accident in Bangalore
Read this in the newspaper today morning! That stretch between Sumanahalli and Nagarbavi is becoming notorious for speeding and accidents these days. This in spite of the cops issuing speeding tickets almost everyday! Recently a truck fell off the flyover onto the road below.

In the list of my fears and paranoia, I always pictured myself being T-Boned or rear ended or colliding into something in my lane. Now this jumping-the-median accidents are my biggest fear! I mean there's absolutely NOTHING you can do to improve your defensive driving if a vehicle jumps from the opposite side and hits you head on! You can't even anticipate it! Scary. Really scary.
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 11:22   #14471
BHPian

Yes, this is scary one can't do ANYTHING at this situation. Recently i'am hearing many such accidents, even a fellow BHPian's father encountered this, but thankfully nothing serious happened to him. but no one survived in the other car which jumps off the median.

Yesterday TOI Chennai edition also reported an accident of same nature, But that was due to an ill-minded biker.
http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...ther-occupants

I think the height of the median needs to be raised, or it needs to be added with some flexi fencing
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident.jpg  

Last edited by DRIVE_ADDICT : 26th November 2013 at 11:24.
DRIVE_ADDICT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 13:59   #14472
BHPian

Noida: Four die in road accident on Yamuna Expressway

http://www.ndtv.com/article/cities/n...=home-rightnow
Old 26th November 2013, 14:47   #14473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^
1) Engine is missing oil cap, hot oil spil may have caused fire

I think the income tax goes to Centre who dole it out based on other reasons
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 14:48   #14474
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Here is the pic of the Safari which took the Punto head-on, or rather otherwise.
That is a photograph everybody, driver or passenger, should see.

How could anybody be so thick as to not wear a seat belt after seeing that?

Scares me, and I do wear a seatbelt for every trip.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 14:52   #14475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
That is a photograph everybody, driver or passenger, should see.

How could anybody be so thick as to not wear a seat belt after seeing that?

Scares me, and I do wear a seatbelt for every trip.
You are right, Thad. Ouch! I can never imagine the scene, a human head trying to break through laminated glass.

And if we see, the passenger side damage is more bulged out, as probably he/she was unaware of what is to happen in the next few split seconds, the driver probably held himself as and when he knew that he is going to crash.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks