Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2013, 13:51   #14506
Team-BHP Support

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
I don't know if it is right to say this, but if someone wishes to knock at the devil's door, chances are that hell might welcome him! Can't put it any more diplomatic, without hurting the deceased. But my heartfelt sympathies for the other 6 in the car, who were 'killed' by the maniac driver
Could've easily caught up by calling up the lead car and asking him to wait up a few mins instead of indulging in what can only be termed suicidal driving

Terrible loss of lives, but the car's occupants need to share some responsibility too. If the guy behind the wheel is a maniac, someone else should step in firmly and ask him to slow down. It's not just his own life the driver risked (and sadly lost), but everyone's.
Old 29th November 2013, 14:03   #14507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Isn't something better than nothing? I don't think Maruti should be blamed for giving ABS as optional extra, though not giving an option at all is something that could be blamed. I did criticize them when they didn't have a ZDi back in 2008 when we were out shopping.

Speaking about splitting the safety features, even the ABS + dual airbags version should be avoided by the same argument since they are still skimping on the side and curtain airbags. That increases the premium for safety kit and decreases the chance that someone would actually buy them.

After all, no one gets into a fatal accidents anticipating the same. Psychologically, there is a higher chance that people who think safety features are not really worth the cost would never think of an accident involving them as a possibility till it actually happens and hence might have a marginally higher chance of an accident.
You are right, of course. Something is better than nothing. But, as far as my understanding goes, ABS is for preventing an accident while an airbag comes into the picture after the accident has taken place. Shouldn't both be present? I would imagine an ABS and front airbags combo (for head-on collisions) to be the bare minimum safety equipment in a car. Just my 2 cents!!
Old 29th November 2013, 14:28   #14508
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Terrible loss of lives, but the car's occupants need to share some responsibility too. If the guy behind the wheel is a maniac, someone else should step in firmly and ask him to slow down. It's not just his own life the driver risked (and sadly lost), but everyone's.
They might have all been young lunatics enjoying the thrill of speed and risk taking, but they might also have been non-drivers.

It is not unusual for non-drivers to shriek in situations where there is actually no risk at all, but sit, quietly oblivious, through moments when their lives are actually on the line.

Also, it is not always that easy to argue with the guy behind the wheel, especially if it is his car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand
Can't put it any more diplomatic, without hurting the deceased.
Speak out! The deceased are beyond any further hurt from this world.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 29th November 2013 at 14:31.
Old 29th November 2013, 14:37   #14509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
Is that a maruti dezire? When will we wake up to the fact that following regulations saves lives?That car was crushed under the truck just because the truck didnt have an Front Underrun Protection Device.From the intensity of the crash dont know whether that would have mattered though.
7 people in a vehicle meant for 4 adults and one child ! Even if the truck had airbags on its bumper , there was little that could have helped the car occupants .

Clearly the car drivers fault looking at its position in the second pic . Also , I am assuming this is a Vdi with useless 165 tires .

I am sure the truck driver would have been beaten up by a mob and then arrested by the cops for "rash and negligient driving"
speedsatya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2013, 14:48   #14510
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
They might have all been young lunatics enjoying the thrill of speed and risk taking, but they might also have been non-drivers.

It is not unusual for non-drivers to shriek in situations where there is actually no risk at all, but sit, quietly oblivious, through moments when their lives are actually on the line.
Agreed. I've personally experienced even worse. Co-passengers actually egg you on to drive 'fast' (they actually mean reckless), and some of my car's passengers over the years have thought I'm a wimp for sticking to 80-100 kmph on open highways, and waiting to get proper space to pass instead of forcing my way through the wrong side. "Risk? What's that? Accidents? They happen to others."

Quote:
Also, it is not always that easy to argue with the guy behind the wheel, especially if it is his car.
Agreed again. I was once fortunate (though inconvenienced) enough to have to get down on a highway and find another ride home because my 'friend' displayed 'my car, my rules' mentality while driving all over the place, and refused to calm down.

He thought I was kidding when I asked him to drop me at the next town. We're still friends, but I've never sat in his car again.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 29th November 2013 at 14:50.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th November 2013, 15:09   #14511
Senior - BHPian

Couple & their son bleed to death as people passing by did not attend them:

Source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/26551151.cms

The victims (Mangesh Gaikwad - 40, his wife Aparna - 30 and their five-year-old son Om) were lying critically injured on the road after their bike was hit by a ST (State Transport) Bus at Roha (Raigad, Maharashtra).

The Bus driver rushed to Roha Police Station to registered the accident case & managed to secured Bail Order from local court. The 5 year old boy was criying for water for almost one hour but locals did not bothered to help. Ultimately the innocent life succumed to injuries & all three passed away.

Mangesh leaves behind two daughters - two daughters 12 years old Apurva and 10 years old.

Heartbreaking.

Thanks,
Old 29th November 2013, 15:09   #14512
BHPian

Just as the price of Diesel was increased by 50p almost every month in 2013, to arrive at an overall hike of more than 6/- per litre in order to nullify any hue and cry from the citizens (I don't think the Govt would have cared even if there was one), the same way all manufacturers should also come together and provide ABS and Driver + Passenger airbags in all vehicles.

The reason I say this is, I believe the manufacturer's current offerings are based on the common sentiment prevalent in the country. If people are not interested in buying a safety kit laden vehicle, why would the manufacturers put in one? After all, they are doing Business, and there are no existing policies that would force them to put the safety kit in all the vehicles.

Every one aspires to buy a car one day or the other.

A milkman, a newspaper vendor, etc. go in for a Nano just because they want to have a car in their parking lot.

A fresher Software Engg. (just an example, not generalizing) drawing 30k per month, with no personal / housing loans yet, will go in for LXI, LDI, XE models just because he needs a car but can't afford to have it with the safety kit.

I know many who just squeeze in an LXI/LDI model just because their salaries offer only so much cushion.

If manufacturers have the safety kit as a standard fitment, people will be forced to buy those cars. Only thing that can happen is a delay of say 6 months. Person who is planning to buy now may wait for 6 months and then go ahead once he has the required funds.

And since they are already increasing the price of the vehicles, the manufacturers won't cut any corners and prevail with the existing build quality.

If some one asks me today on what is the difference between a Maruti and a Fiat, I would straight away show him the pictures of Safari vs Punto collision and the DZire vs Truck collision, and further explain the significance of Build Quality, Seat Belts & Airbags.

By the way,I neither own a Punto / Safari nor a DZire; and definitely not the Truck!
Safety is Param is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2013, 16:05   #14513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was once fortunate (though inconvenienced) enough to have to get down on a highway and find another ride home because my 'friend' displayed 'my car, my rules' mentality while driving all over the place, and refused to calm down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Fully agree. Sometimes, they get offended if we ask to slow down and take it as a message that we don't trust their driving. This can lead to more trouble since they'll try to prove their 'driving skills' which would make their driving even worse. If they enter into heated arguments, they'll lose their focus on the road too. In spite of all this, they won't still slow down!

I've let them drive the way they want and kept quiet on a couple of instances when it slowly started entering into above region. If we keep quiet, they'll at least keep their eyes on the road. The next time he drives, I'd take my car to ensure I don't have to accept his lift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post

If manufacturers have the safety kit as a standard fitment, people will be forced to buy those cars. Only thing that can happen is a delay of say 6 months. Person who is planning to buy now may wait for 6 months and then go ahead once he has the required funds.
It'll remain a wishlist item for ever, just like a few other changes in the society that every educated Indian would love to see. Everything boils down to the same old line of "who will bell the cat"

If someone with authority in the government actually takes a bold step and implements it, you'll see the opposition making a lot of noise and coming up with allegations about his hidden agenda and collusion with foreign car manufacturers which should give the much needed ammunition and sensation for the press. This will be followed up by lengthy discussions in the news hour about how this move is against the average middle class worker and how a common man is denied the opportunity to own a car by this move. After all this debate, no political party would dare to proceed with the implementation as it would be perceived as a move against the interest of the common man and this would reduce their votes in next election.

Quote:
If some one asks me today on what is the difference between a Maruti and a Fiat, I would straight away show him the pictures of Safari vs Punto collision and the DZire vs Truck collision, and further explain the significance of Build Quality, Seat Belts & Airbags.

By the way,I neither own a Punto / Safari nor a DZire; and definitely not the Truck!
On a lighter note, does that mean Tata has the best build quality? The truck seems to be the least damaged vehicle of the lot!
Old 29th November 2013, 16:06   #14514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could've easily caught up by calling up the lead car and asking him to wait up a few mins instead of indulging in what can only be termed suicidal driving

Its often the matter of a split second that separates life from death. Its easy for us to judge them - but I'm sure that person had a momentary lapse of reason that they may not have agreed with, if they had seen the same accident happen to a third party.
phamilyman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2013, 16:12   #14515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
On a lighter note, does that mean Tata has the best build quality? The truck seems to be the least damaged vehicle of the lot!
Well, I would point to the Safari Wind-shield to emphasise on the importance of seat belts, and to the Punto for the build quality to be considered while buying a car.

As a side note, I have tried explaining this to many educated people on umpteen number of occasions, however, the argument I get back from them is - "What is the guarantee that the air bags would deploy in case of an accident vis a vis no air bags at all" ...I stop arguing further praying that these people never meet with an accident, else they wouldn't be alive to get an answer to their own question!!

Last edited by Safety is Param : 29th November 2013 at 16:14.
Safety is Param is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2013, 16:13   #14516
BHPian

I personally feel there is huge gap in the education system itself. I know i might be digressing from the main topic, but a majority of schools do not teach the importance for respecting traffic rules. To top it, even driving schools don't teach them. I've even heard of driving schools which fills the answer sheet when you apply for a license. Unless we educate our kids who are going to be driving on their own in a few years, i do not see any point in having ABS, EBD, airbags or whatsoever. I've heard many people making hue and cry when helmets were made mandatory in Chennai. They went on to an extent saying that the Govt. was in connivance with helmet manufacturers and one brilliant lawyer even filing a PIL not to make it mandatory and court accepting it on the merit that helmets were causing discomfort to lady drivers! None of these empty heads ever thought for a moment that the head was necessary for the hair to grow!
adarsh.n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2013, 16:19   #14517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
As a side note, I have tried explaining this to many educated people on umpteen number of occasions, however, the argument I get back from them is - "What is the guarantee that the air bags would deploy in case of an accident vis a vis no air bags at all"
LOL. Never got that question from anyone I know but my response would be - the same guarantee that the vehicle will stop everytime you press the brake pedal. If you don't trust the air bag mechanism by your manufacturer, there is no reason you can trust the brake system either.
Old 29th November 2013, 17:57   #14518
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Its often the matter of a split second that separates life from death. Its easy for us to judge them - but I'm sure that person had a momentary lapse of reason that they may not have agreed with, if they had seen the same accident happen to a third party.
If I remember rightly where this sub-thread began, it was supposed that the accident in question was an overtaking accident.

Where a vehicle collides with oncoming traffic whilst overtaking, it is never a split-second thing, and certainly they should be judged, and judged harshly --- because overtaking should not be done unless there is clear road and plenty of time.

That's a simple rule that only a lunatic minority should have a problem with. Sadly, that isn't the case ...and this thread gets longer.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2013, 19:16   #14519
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
The fact that 'it's a matter of split second between life & death' is exactly why I insist that no co-passenger should be a mute spectator to reckless driving. That split-second moment can happen to any of us anytime, the least we can do is not openly invite it by indulging reckless habits of an irresponsible driver, whether ourselves or others.

I judge my own driving by the same standards I expect of others.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2013, 19:26   #14520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He thought I was kidding when I asked him to drop me at the next town. We're still friends, but I've never sat in his car again.
Kudos sir! Well done. Appreciate it.

Did that at least make your friend reconsider his driving style - now?
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks