Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2013, 00:30   #14536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
That irrespective of whether you are in an AltoK10 or a Punto, you are dead-meat if a Scorpio flies across the median and lands on you. No amount of sheet-metal is gonna save you there.
Well, seems like you are trying so hard, to prove something moot. I ll leave it there, as this thread is not for this debate.
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 06:29   #14537
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
That irrespective of whether you are in an AltoK10 or a Punto, you are dead-meat if a Scorpio flies across the median and lands on you. No amount of sheet-metal is gonna save you there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Well, seems like you are trying so hard, to prove something moot. I ll leave it there, as this thread is not for this debate.
Well there's a point:
http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-...e1-233922.aspx

Safari vs Tata 407 - all perished.

That said, I personally believe a minimum safety kit (ABS/driver airbag) should atleast be provided in all indian cars - that will make it mainstream and lower costs as well. However, we should recognize that it'll work in a limited set of situations in India, and rarely in the event that a car accidentally crosses the median and comes head on. That's just a low probability event we Indian highway drivers have to live with.
phamilyman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 07:49   #14538
BHPian

Six killed near Belgaum when a car crashed into a stationary truck. News report says that impact was so severe that even the airbag blew off without which some lives could have been saved! What???????

Link to report which is in Marathi
http://epaper.tarunbharat.com/c/2007930
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 11:22   #14539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Six killed near Belgaum when a car crashed into a stationary truck. News report says that impact was so severe that even the airbag blew off without which some lives could have been saved! What???????

Link to report which is in Marathi
http://epaper.tarunbharat.com/c/2007930
Looks like a high speed drive gone wrong. May the souls of victims R.I.P.

Posting a Hindu link detailing the same accident.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...cle5415606.ece

The car is smashed beyond recognition. Any guess?
Gotham_City is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 11:23   #14540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham_City View Post
Looks like a high speed drive gone wrong. May the souls of victims R.I.P.

Posting a Hindu link detailing the same accident.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...cle5415606.ece

It is a Tata Indigo per reports from Marathi daily.
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 11:32   #14541
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is the report that appeared in Deccan Herald today on the same accident:

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...lgaum-car.html

From the design of the alloys in the picture in this report and the fact that the car has a OE rooftop antenna for Radio (Indigo IIRC comes with internal antenna), it seems more like a Toyota ETIOS.

Last edited by paragsachania : 3rd December 2013 at 11:40.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 11:40   #14542
Senior - BHPian

For the last 3 days, I was driving on NH4. What amazed (or scared) me was that all vehicles, be it a Alto, Scorpio, i20 or even a Nano was being driven either at the vehicle's limit or the driver's limit. Sometimes you feel scared since someone ramming into you is always a possibility and only being in a bus or a truck can save you.

We need speed limits and strict enforcing even based on the vehicle type. I dont want to get involved in accident due to some other stupid people.
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 12:22   #14543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Here is the report that appeared in Deccan Herald today on the same accident:

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...lgaum-car.html

From the design of the alloys in the picture in this report and the fact that the car has a OE rooftop antenna for Radio (Indigo IIRC comes with internal antenna), it seems more like a Toyota ETIOS.
It is a KA25 regd Toyota Etios. News 9 and TV9 were playing the video clip almost throughout the day yesterday. As usual, the truck was parked without any warnings and neither did it have a front impact beam.

May their souls Rest in Peace
rohittunga is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 12:39   #14544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Six killed near Belgaum when a car crashed into a stationary truck. News report says that impact was so severe that even the airbag blew off without which some lives could have been saved!
Can you please elaborate what exactly they said on the "Airbag blew off" part as I don't know Marathi. Couldn't find it in the English reports.

The damage sustained by the car is not too high when compared to some other crashes where people have escaped thanks to the safety kit. Could it be a case of Toyota might have skimped on cost cutting even on the safety features! Since its an Etios, I wouldn't be really surprised since they did cut a lot of corners in the name of cost cutting!

Last edited by zenren : 3rd December 2013 at 12:48.
Old 3rd December 2013, 13:55   #14545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milestone View Post
Brand new "i10 Grand" over divider on Diwali day, my heart goes to the new owner

Attachment 1161767

Attachment 1161768

Attachment 1161769

Cheers !!!
The brand new Grand i10 car is parked in Trident service on ORR near KR Puram for repairs I believe. Feel really bad for the owner.
sabsubs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 14:23   #14546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham_City View Post
Quote:
It is a Tata Indigo per reports from Marathi daily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
It is the Toyota Etios.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-372432_thump.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-012011toyotaetios630opt.jpg
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 14:55   #14547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Can you please elaborate what exactly they said on the "Airbag blew off" part as I don't know Marathi. Couldn't find it in the English reports.

The damage sustained by the car is not too high when compared to some other crashes where people have escaped thanks to the safety kit. Could it be a case of Toyota might have skimped on cost cutting even on the safety features! Since its an Etios, I wouldn't be really surprised since they did cut a lot of corners in the name of cost cutting!
It says that the impact was so severe that the deployed airbag also 'blew off' i.e. either the entire airbag assembly was dislodged from the dashboard or the airbag itself was ruptured and deflated rendering the accident fatal.

I find it hard to believe that Toyota would've cut corners regarding safety.
Turbo_Torq is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 16:40   #14548
Senior - BHPian

I don't understand how did the newspaper knew the air bag 'blew off' on the Etios?
For all I know , what they meant would have been that the air bag blew up to do its work.

Also, if the air bag was dislodged from the dash, it would have happened after being deployed. The driver air bag is clearly visible.

Regards
Old 3rd December 2013, 16:41   #14549
Distinguished - BHPian

Just a thought for those who like to say that any one car must be intrinsically unsafe...

Haven't seen anybody saying "Better not buy a Porsche."

Link

~

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 3rd December 2013 at 16:43.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 17:06   #14550
BHPian

Quote:
No. It needs policing (and the fear of a few hundred bucks of fine) for folks to belt up. So, there is only so much that safety features can do. The onus is mostly on the occupants to be safe.
I don't think policing and challaning is going to solve this, however, I do believe that everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I respect yours.

Quote:
Does that mean Nissan lacks build-quality ? And that you will rest your Sunny and start driving around in your Jazz ? Till another Jazz accident proves your theory wrong and you start looking for another car with TLB (tank like build) ?
Regarding the SUNNY in shambles;tomorrow, if the car was to roll over and if I was to come out alive, I, for sure will never contemplate about its build quality. I have already bought the car after giving in enough thought process, which may or may not involve any 3rd party's advice, so I am happy to live with it till the time comes for a new car, willingly or unwillingly in the event of a total loss!

Also, dare I say that I bought the SUNNY because that was the only thing (within my budget) that could fit my 6'3" frame and still leave a room at the back seat for a person with a similar frame (that was my priority after the ABS / EBD and Airbags boxes were ticked); and something that GTO bought for himself as well (enough indicator for the reliability part atleast for me)?

What I have mentioned in my earlier post is when someone is looking forward for a suggestion before he actually goes and books a car!

Last edited by Safety is Param : 3rd December 2013 at 17:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks