Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2013, 17:50   #14566
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
And if NCAP is to be the benchmark, the SX4 (hatch) was rated 4, while we don't have rating for the Linea (it was not rated/tested) and in the absence of a comparitive rating,
any assumption of safety would be just that - an assumption. The Punto and Swift (peers) are again rated 5 - which would mean equivalent safety in similar test conditions.
Two things:

1) SX4 is kind of an exception here if you look at its origins (Read Fiat Sedici).

2) SX4 (hatch) can be compared with Linea hatch aka Punto (4 stars vs 5).
Old 4th December 2013, 18:56   #14567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
We could not stop at the spot due to traffic and there was already a crowd milling around. I heard about the single fatality from another relative who came in a bit later, hope it was not the case.
Hey, mazda4life!
I know it's a little too late, but, if it isn't asking for much could you please tell me as much as you could about what you heard about this accident? I would like to know as much as I could because I personally knew the victim. Yes, there indeed was one fatality.
Old 4th December 2013, 20:25   #14568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye1592 View Post
Hey, mazda4life!
I know it's a little too late, but, if it isn't asking for much could you please tell me as much as you could about what you heard about this accident? I would like to know as much as I could because I personally knew the victim. Yes, there indeed was one fatality.
I am sorry to hear that there was there was a fatality, as I had mentioned in my earlier post we could not stop as the traffic was already coming in our lane. I am sorry I don’t have any more information.
Old 4th December 2013, 20:32   #14569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
I am sorry to hear that there was there was a fatality, as I had mentioned in my earlier post we could not stop as the traffic was already coming in our lane. I am sorry I don’t have any more information.
I was hoping that you might have had a little more info from the relative who you had mentioned. It's okay, thank you anyway!
Old 5th December 2013, 10:16   #14570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabsubs View Post
The brand new Grand i10 car is parked in Trident service on ORR near KR Puram for repairs I believe. Feel really bad for the owner.
It's almost a month since the accident happened, looks like some major repair or could be in insurance tangle .

Cheers !!!
Old 5th December 2013, 11:12   #14571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milestone View Post
It's almost a month since the accident happened, looks like some major repair or could be in insurance tangle .

Cheers !!!
It could even be an issue with parts availability.

Some of the less frequently needed parts for brand new models typically take a while to arrive at the distributors and service stations.
Old 5th December 2013, 16:32   #14572
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Please stick to the thread title at hand i.e. Accidents. We have other threads to discuss the pros / cons / legality of seatbelts.

Thanks!
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th December 2013, 19:29   #14573
Team-BHP Support

Here's one we had spotted en route to our workplace today morn. Probably happened in the night since we did not notice it yesterday evening.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20131206_080152.jpg

The BRTS expansion activity is going on and as a result, there are a few bad stretches with roads dug up and some temporary diversions, like this one for instance. The drums (which are acting as dividers btw) had those reflective stickers stuck but perhaps the driver did not notice it and ran over those. The front was damaged quite a bit (no snaps unfortunately).
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2013, 13:55   #14574
Senior - BHPian

Accident on Peddar road Mumbai involving an Aston Martin Rapide, Audi and Toyoya Corolla. Total loss 4.5Cr. The aston driver coolly hopped into the following vehicle and ziped off. The cost of Audi is estiomated at 30L, Corolla at 12L and rest Aston martin. The car it seems belongs to Reliance Ports and was being driven at high speeds.

http://www.mid-day.com/news/2013/dec...edder-road.htm
ghodlur is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2013, 16:52   #14575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Accident on Peddar road Mumbai involving an Aston Martin Rapide, Audi and Toyoya Corolla. Total loss 4.5Cr. The aston driver coolly hopped into the following vehicle and ziped off. The cost of Audi is estiomated at 30L, Corolla at 12L and rest Aston martin. The car it seems belongs to Reliance Ports and was being driven at high speeds.

http://www.mid-day.com/news/2013/dec...edder-road.htm
Mid-day reports that its the same AM that made appearance at SRT's farewell party!
Old 10th December 2013, 09:49   #14576
BHPian

Interesting video.

Found this on FB "Driving in India - Crash happens at the 2:00 mark"

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=542349835855379

Last edited by iVento : 10th December 2013 at 09:52.
iVento is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th December 2013, 16:52   #14577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
Some facts -

1Some other facts -

1) Helmets are not compulsory for the pillion rider (except Calcutta and Delhi, may be). So is the Pillion Rider's life less precious than the driver? Or, why is the onus left on the biker to make sure that the pillion rider too wears a helmet? Why is no law being enforced here as well?

2) Why are seat belts compulsory only for the front row passengers? Do the 2nd / 3rd row passengers never die in case of a crash by getting flung here and there? Why is the onus left on the driver to make sure that other passengers in other rows too buckle up? Why is no law being enforced here as well?

Though I follow all safety guidelines ..

If I don't wear seatbelts - WHY FINE ME?? - Am I causing inconvenience to others? If I decide to die, who can stop me? Then why fine? My car, my wish!!

If there was an option to DISLIKE a post, my post would probably garner the maximum number of dislikes for posting this, however, I would still go ahead and give a big thumbs down to the traffic police in terms of being intrusive with regards to seatbelts and helmet.
Hi
Some rules are for lawe and some are for life and limb. Life and limb laws are followed in personal interest.

It is broadly akin to asking why penalize me for non payment of tax it is my income.

Will you travel on a lonely deserted road in midnight (if you knew dangers lurk in aplenty) chances are probably not.
If the insurance company declines to offer cover if seatbelts are not worn by the driver then our views will drastically change.

Infact if the insurance companies start making it a mandate for usage of helmet and seatbelt then probably we will wear them for mere prospect of higher premium or dear life (more of fear of former)

Kudos to you and also your granny for being a sport and accepting the use of seatbelt.

Last edited by aah78 : 10th December 2013 at 20:25. Reason: Quote fixed.
Dieseldunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2013, 17:54   #14578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVento View Post
Interesting video.

Found this on FB "Driving in India - Crash happens at the 2:00 mark"

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=542349835855379
How did that tanker lose control? Was it a tyre burst or something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk View Post

Kudos to you and also your granny for being a sport and accepting the use of seatbelt.
Re-Quoting the Mod note again in case you missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Mod Note: Please stick to the thread title at hand i.e. Accidents. We have other threads to discuss the pros / cons / legality of seatbelts.

Thanks!

Last edited by zenren : 10th December 2013 at 17:57.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2013, 18:27   #14579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post

How did that tanker lose control? Was it a tyre burst or something else?
He thought he's on a two wheeler and pulled hard to the right in order to overtake the truck in front. He realized that and tried to correct it by turning hard left but it was too late. Thanks to the weight, inertia played it's role and pulled the whole truck down.
Old 10th December 2013, 19:25   #14580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
He thought he's on a two wheeler and pulled hard to the right in order to overtake the truck in front. He realized that and tried to correct it by turning hard left but it was too late. Thanks to the weight, inertia played it's role and pulled the whole truck down.
Thanks. That's what even I thought initially but then wondered if someone would be that stupid, considering you need a minimum experience to get the heavy vehicle license!

Most Viewed