Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2013, 13:23   #14596
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

This must have happened sometime on Saturday.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-indi.jpg  

bigben is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 17:22   #14597
Team-BHP Support

What sadness!

2 school-going girls on a two-wheeler seemed to have died on the spot today at a junction here at Surat. They have presumably fell down from the two-wheeler and must have been run over by another vehicle since the pieces of skull and brains have been scattered over the road (white patches on the snaps; edited them to remove those). The exact details aren’t clear. Tomorrow’s newspapers (at least the local ones) will carry the news - shall update the thread then.

They do not have a license for sure. Unsure if the rider was wearing a helmet. But regardless, it is in sync with what I had mentioned before on the traffic sense of this city on the other thread:

Quote:
1. School-going girls ride gearless scooters to their school...They don’t wear a helmet either...Do these guys have a driving license? Definitely not!
I cannot imagine what their friends and parents must be going through. May their souls rest in peace.

Last edited by aah78 : 17th December 2013 at 02:21. Reason: Pictures deleted. Please respect privacy of the families of the deceased.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 18:49   #14598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
What sadness!

2 school-going girls on a two-wheeler seemed to have died on the spot today at a junction here at Surat.
A terrible scene. These arrogant/negligent youth prove that life is so vunerable to tragedies. I am not a faint hearted person but these pics have given me chills. Really sad for the innocent families for this uncomparable loss.

thanks

AD
Old 16th December 2013, 19:29   #14599
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

RIP Girls.
May God give strength to Girl's family and be with them.

This is the case every where, not only in Surat. When are the parents going to learn to teach safety to their children?
The parents needs to booked under section amounting to murder.

Request all the Parents and would be parents in team-bhp to learn a lesson or two, ifnot learnt yet and help others in your circle by encouraging them to follow safety first policy.

Last edited by Aditya : 17th December 2013 at 14:19. Reason: Let's not court controversy
manjubp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 22:02   #14600
BHPian

I witnessed today what for me would be the worst accident scene. As all fellow TBhpians from the North would know that this part of the year is especially foggy in our part of the country, I was driving from Ambala to Noida this morning. There was heavy fog and traffic was quite slow and steady. As I crossed Gharaunda, I saw the most massive pile-up I have ever seen anywhere, at least 3 buses, four trucks, and more than 25 cars involved. What was surprising was that there was a pile-up at that spot on both sides of the road. It was not like one big pile-up but like 7-8 small three-four vehicle pile-ups. There was at least one confirmed fatility, a 18 wheeler had almost run over an 800 completely. It was like a warzone out there with mangled vehicles of all sorts and debris all over the road for a good 500 m
Old 16th December 2013, 22:20   #14601
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damanshaheed View Post
I witnessed today what for me would be the worst accident scene. As all fellow TBhpians from the North would know that this part of the year is especially foggy in our part of the country, I was driving from Ambala to Noida this morning. There was heavy fog and traffic was quite slow and steady. As I crossed Gharaunda, I saw the most massive pile-up I have ever seen anywhere, at least 3 buses, four trucks, and more than 25 cars involved. What was surprising was that there was a pile-up at that spot on both sides of the road. It was not like one big pile-up but like 7-8 small three-four vehicle pile-ups. There was at least one confirmed fatility, a 18 wheeler had almost run over an 800 completely. It was like a warzone out there with mangled vehicles of all sorts and debris all over the road for a good 500 m
Daman i passed the same spot at 11 AM today,and i counted 6 vehicles;2 trucks,a bus,a Dzire,M800 and a tavera.The haryana roadways drivers are the worst you can find anywhere,they drive as if they are on a death mission

And it was the first foggy morning this season.

Last edited by akshay4587 : 16th December 2013 at 22:22.
Old 16th December 2013, 22:43   #14602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
God thats so terrible .... budding lives nipped !!!! School going girls even if they are say +2 should be around 17 or a bit more ?? ... definitely without license.... !! Parents are clearly to be blamed.... :( and these scooterettes are as powerful as commuter bikes or even more unlike the traditional 50-60 CC ones.... Girls should be very careful while driving them at all times and helmets is a must !!
RIP.. God give peace to their families !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
This is the case every where, not only in Surat. When are the parents going to learn to teach safety to their children?
The parents needs to booked under section amounting to murder.
The law allows someone between 16 and 18 to only obtain a license to drive a motor cycle without gear and below 50cc

Most people ignore the last phrase and allow underage kids to ride vehicles like Activa, which is actually 102cc and hence need M/C with gear category. Anyone who has studied for learner's license would have known this. The parents have paid the price for ignoring/ being ignorant about the law if they thought 16 year olds can drive any gearless scooter.

In case of underage offenses, it is the parents who are responsible and they should be held accountable. In some of the cases, they cause casualty to pedestrians where the innocent people have to suffer. I've heard of a case where the victim's family decided not to press charges since it would have resulted in destroying the future of that kid.

Last edited by zenren : 16th December 2013 at 22:45.
Old 16th December 2013, 22:50   #14603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
This is very unfortunate. This is a clear case of negligence by the authorities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Thats a gruesome murder by the munuicipal authorities. Open uncovered ditch without any side barricades and no warning signs is a sureshot sign for danger. Pity that the biker couldnt call for any help or else he would have been alive, I guess he must have hit and passed out and died by drowning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
All classic recipes of disaster are shouting out in this unfortunate case:
1. Biker without a helmet
2. Huge ditch and no barricades
3. Possibly no warning signs

When would authorities understand the basics?
Another one waiting to happen. Please refer to my earlier post, a few Kms down the road (10-15 odd) on the Panipat elevated bypass a huge ditch dug up in the middle of the fast lane with no adequate caution signs. Only concrete slabs just before the ditch. And this is fog season folks, just what the first major fog of the season did has been reported in my earlier post.

Last edited by aah78 : 17th December 2013 at 02:25. Reason: Quote fixed, illegible portion removed & posts merged.
Old 16th December 2013, 23:09   #14604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
All classic recipes of disaster are shouting out in this unfortunate case:
1. Biker without a helmet
2. Huge ditch and no barricades
3. Possibly no warning signs

When would authorities understand the basics? When would we start valuing our lives? I am not sure how the person died but, I doubt the helmet would have helped in case of him drowning.
BBMP and the contractors need to be sued for this and made to pay big time. That crater is huge, no where in the world it would be left like that. Just because of negligence on the officials part a family has been destroyed and they will never be the same again.
It's the lack of reflective warning signs almost anywhere in this sorry excuse for a city that's a major problem. Even with the streetlights on, many dividers throughout the city are smoke-stain covered, dull and nearly invisible. Even on familiar roads the slightest momentary lapse in concentration can easily mess things up, especially for a two-wheeler rider not wearing an helmet.

Even those yellow barricades that the police use in this city are devoid of any reflective stickering which makes it very hard to notice in the dark.
Old 16th December 2013, 23:33   #14605
BHPian

Quote:
What sadness!

2 school-going girls on a two-wheeler seemed to have died on the spot .....
I cannot imagine what their friends and parents must be going through. May their souls rest in peace.
While I have all the sympathy for the parents of these two girls should be tried for negligence and allowing the teens to carry two-wheeler to school without helmet.

I think it is time our road authorities across the country come together and revamp licensing system. It is also imperative that the traffic cops catch such riders and stop them wherever possible.

We for sure need to have a reference book for safe driving that each would-be driver must go through and take a test to get a license. I don't mind retaking the exam for license. Afterall our vehicle is a weapon on our roads that we must handle responsibly and be liable for the negligence
Old 17th December 2013, 06:41   #14606
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The exact details aren’t clear. Tomorrow’s newspapers (at least the local ones) will carry the news - shall update the thread then.
From today's TOI:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOI
Two school girls were crushed to death by a speeding dumper on LP Savani Road on Monday noon.

The girls of Presidency School in Adajan were returning home on a scooter when the reckless driver of the dumper knocked them from behind opposite Trinity Business Centre. Both the girls - Nishtha Patel, 18, studying in class XII (science), and Kshama Mehta, 17 of class XI, died on the spot.

Police arrested Sunil Yadav, the driver of the dumper GJ-5-AU-7070 that belongs to Jay Ambe Carting, a city-based transport firm.
Two girls run over by dumper
Old 17th December 2013, 11:08   #14607
BHPian

Quote:
So from the excerpt this looks like a case where clearly a helmet could have saved lives or could have bought atleast some time where they could have been rushed to Hospital.

RIP !
Old 17th December 2013, 12:55   #14608
BHPian

Yep! Couldn't agree more.

Along with helmet enforcements there should be a reduced speed limit for heavy vehicles such as dumpers, trucks and all public transport vehicles. These vehicles should be barred from right most lanes on multilane roads except for when overtaking or crossing streets.
Old 17th December 2013, 16:58   #14609
BHPian

Actually, I dont think any helmet in the world would have saved the heads of these 2 girls from the dumper driving over them.
Death was assured, helmet or not.
Old 17th December 2013, 17:06   #14610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
Death was assured, helmet or not.
From the news article,
Quote:
the reckless driver of the dumper knocked them from behind
It is a possibility that they banged their heads against the ground, rather than the dumper ran over their head.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks