Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2014, 15:41   #14671
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahesh_sn View Post
A massive accident took place today morning 09.30 AM in Malshej ghat on NH222. An MSRTC bus was traveling from Thane to Ahmednagar.
Even the local news papers have reported the incident.
http://maharashtratimes.indiatimes.c...w/28270285.cms

27 feared dead. RIP the lost souls.
Old 2nd January 2014, 16:26   #14672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
If the life lost was the one wheeling, I can't help but say;he deserved it!!

If it was the pillion rider; well, it was his choice to take the risk and hence, he too deserved it in some way or the other.

If it was an innocent person, its pretty unfortunate...R.I.P.
The person who lost life was the one doing wheelie. However, he knocked down the rider of another bike which is rather unfortunate.

A ToI reports covers the accident:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/28253194.cms

Quote:
BANGALORE: Celebrations to usher in 2014 took a tragic turn around 1am when Salim Pasha, 35, a mechanic-cum-car driver from Valmikinagar in Chamarajpet, sustained serious head injuries when his two-wheeler rammed two other scooters near Town Hall.

Salim and his friend Sadiq welcomed 2014 with revellers on MG Road and rode back to Town Hall to perform bike stunts, police said. They thought the huge area in front of Town Hall, where three thoroughfares intersect, provided them a perfect arena to stage the stunts.
Old 2nd January 2014, 16:56   #14673
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw an accident on the Bangalore - Mysore Highway a few kilometers after the Ramanagaram town opposite to the bus depot at around 3 am on 1st Jan morning. A two wheeler involved and a body was lying in the middle of the road. There was a bit of crowd and the road was blocked.

Any more news on this?
Old 2nd January 2014, 17:58   #14674
BHPian

MSRCTC Bus Accident near Malshej Ghat

At least 27 people are feared dead and many were injured after a Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation (MSRCTC) bus plunged into a 300-foot-deep valley at Tokawade village in Thane district, around 160km northeast of state capital Mumbai, on Thursday January 2, 2013.

More news in following link

http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-...1-1168491.aspx

RIP

Off topic - My In-Laws travel regularly on this route by MSRCTC Bus, they were stun for a second on hearing this news.

Edit just now saw the news has already been posted

Last edited by driving_smartly : 2nd January 2014 at 18:05.
driving_smartly is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2014, 09:51   #14675
Senior - BHPian

Massive accident involving a spice jet cab that slowed down traffic on JVLR stretching back almost a kilometre or two. The front end was also badly smashed in, and cops were teeming around the wreckage. Didn't see any other car there as part of the accident, so I'm mildly curious as to what happened.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image2877454002.jpg
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2014, 09:58   #14676
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Massive accident involving a spice jet cab. I'm mildly curious as to what happened.
Hi mate, seeing the picture of the vehicle it looks a case of bumper to bumper driving which is very common in JVLR and also the Andheri-Goregaon stretch as I have seen number of accidents there with back-to-back hit cars. Thankfully the passenger seems alright in this one.

thanks

AD

Last edited by ad3952n : 3rd January 2014 at 10:01. Reason: spellcheck
Old 3rd January 2014, 10:00   #14677
Senior - BHPian

That was my thought as well when I first saw the car from a distance, but it was one hell of a hit if that, what with the front and back caved in as it was.
Old 3rd January 2014, 10:24   #14678
BHPian

A late night accident near Hoodi Circle in Whitefield Main Rd. Time: 11pm
This car hit a Bus. Reason: Over speeding in a small curved road.
Yet to get info of the Passengers inside the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo-1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo-2.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo-3.jpg  

Attached Images

Pumpy_Raj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2014, 10:30   #14679
Senior - BHPian

Tragic accident takes life of 14 year old boy in Bangalore.

NEWS ARTICLE
Quote:
According to police he overtook a school van and found an auto-rickshaw coming from the opposite direction.
The scooter handle touched the auto-rickshaw and he lost control. Meanwhile, the van, which was coming from behind, hit the scooter, and the van's right rear wheel ran over him.
One user has commented on this article and his view is so so so much justified !! Quoting his comment below:
Quote:
It was difficult to decide whether the overriding emotion was grief or rage at the preventable and predictable death of 14 year old Sumukh Manegoli yesterday. Some foregone mistakes like this will be regretted life long. Traffic laws are made to protect the Society from such individual recklessness. The parents blaming the police and saying he drove every day tilted the balance towards rage. The accident could have cost some other person their life or limbs. In which case the parents would have made every effort to save the boy from law.
On one hand since the minor was the victim, the parents are obviously making a hue and cry stating that the bus driver was rash. They are over looking the fact that it was Illegal to let a minor ride a vehicle + He wasn't wearing helmet because he used to go to that hotel everyday.

On the other hand, if this minor boy would have rammed into someone and injured another citizen, the parents would have put every possible effort to save their son. In that case the minor would have been let off being a juvenille.

The bus driver absconded from the scene and later surrendered. A case hs been registered against him. I feel bad for the poor fellow. Makes me scared everyday I drive.
I wouldn't say / believe that the bus was driven sanely (because I wasn't at the scene). It could be speeding too, but then we know how some two wheeler riders are, specially when it is a high on adrenaline14 year old minor.

I am sometimes amazed at our society, citizens and laws.

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 3rd January 2014 at 10:35.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2014, 11:15   #14680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy_Raj View Post
A late night accident near Hoodi Circle in Whitefield Main Rd. Time: 11pm
This car hit a Bus. Reason: Over speeding in a small curved road.
Yet to get info of the Passengers inside the car.
How could a car hit a bus sideways ? This looks like someone T-boned the car.
Old 3rd January 2014, 12:29   #14681
BHPian

This happen to on 28th December 2013 on my way from Hubli to Goa for our Annual pilgrimage of our Family deity Visit.

I had just passed Ankola Cross going towards Karwar and driving at about 80 kms/hour, I suddenly noticed at about 100 meters distance a sand laden truck coming out of the curve at high speeds and struggling to control its balance with his left wheels slightly moving up. I did panic at that moment, not knowing which way will he move next. While I accelerated and kept driving straight, The Truck just passed me, kept swirling on his side of the road before crashing upside down onto the road side rock and an electric pole about 50 meters behind me. Me, my Wife and Daughter were visibly shaken from this turn of event. It was nothing short of escape from a bad day on earth. I did came back to see what I could do to help the driver, who's condition I do not know as I left after calling 108 and organising for an Ambulance which was dispatched from Ankola.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc01573.jpg  

shenoytech is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2014, 12:53   #14682
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
....The bus driver absconded from the scene and later surrendered. A case hs been registered against him. I feel bad for the poor fellow. Makes me scared everyday I drive.
I wouldn't say / believe that the bus was driven sanely (because I wasn't at the scene). It could be speeding too, but then we know how some two wheeler riders are, specially when it is a high on adrenaline14 year old minor.

I am sometimes amazed at our society, citizens and laws.
This is atrocious. We should have immediate laws where the parents are jailed without the provision for bail for letting minors take the wheels.

Is there a place where we can sign a petition in this regard? This is becoming such a headache. Where are the media? They should torture these couple with the questions on their audacity to let the kid use the bike and should show NO remorse at their loss.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2014, 12:59   #14683
BHPian

Just witnessed an accident on the Westen Express Highway at the flyover before "The Hub" mall.

There was a white Octavia whose front as well as rear were damaged. Behind that a BMW X1 Blue whose front bumper, bonnet, right headlight, rear bumper, hatch had smashed into the Octavia and behind that a white Maruti Eeco which had banged into the X1.

None of these cars were in the same lane, actually when I saw the damaged cars they were all in a diagonal position with the Octavia in the right most lane and the others towards the left.

Caused a massive traffic jam on the entire flyover while going north
Old 3rd January 2014, 13:28   #14684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
This is atrocious. We should have immediate laws where the parents are jailed without the provision for bail for letting minors take the wheels.
There is nothing here that proves that his age had anything to do with his riding helmetless. Often such things happen because the person sees others around driving helmetless without consequence. I suggest the traffic police inspectors should be suspended instead.

There must probably be a million such folks riding around helmetless in Chennai (and will continue to do so), overwhelmingly of legal age. In contrast on any main road in Delhi, you will not find a single helmetless rider (and infact many pillions wearing helmet!!). Wearing helmet has more to do with the enforcement/policing than age.

Please don't confuse two issues. (I'm not supporting underage driving, just contesting your assertion above).
Old 3rd January 2014, 13:38   #14685
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
There is nothing here that proves that his age had anything to do with his riding helmetless...
Not having helmet is a secondary issue for me (in the above case); primary being that the kid was allowed to ride without a license.

I do NOT bother about people who ride / drive without helmets / seat belts; they deserve to die. These things should be driven more by conscience than laws (ideally). Laws can help only to some extent.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed