Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2014, 13:38   #14686
SDP
Team-BHP Support

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Saw this one yesterday. A truck toppled and crushed a taxi and an auto. 2 dead. Passed the spot some 15 mins after the incident.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/28304887.cms
Old 3rd January 2014, 13:51   #14687
Team-BHP Support

As a law-abiding road user, I deserve to be aggrieved with careless two-wheeler riders (minor or not), esp. given how a lot (not all) of them ride, throwing caution to the wind.

It doesn't take much to be seriously hurt or killed on a bike, sometimes it can happen simply due to falling off a stationary or crawling-speed two-wheeler and bumping one's head on a dangerous object (our roads are full of these).

So what could've sometimes easily been a minor accident (if the rider wore a helmet) causing nothing more than a few bruises (and a bruised ego) can easily turn fatal and get me booked for causing death by negligence, while trying to mind my own business on the road.

Prosecute the reckless adult rider, and prosecute the vehicle owner in case of a minor. It sometimes makes me furious that I can have my life destroyed in an instant by one of these juveniles but the worst they'll see (if ever held responsible) is a minor stint in a juvenile home, pun intended.

Irresponsible people don't deserve to drive, age notwithstanding.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 3rd January 2014 at 13:57.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2014, 13:51   #14688
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Tragic accident takes life of 14 year old boy in Bangalore.
This accident happened very near to my place. Very wide road, next a school. At the time of accident, I was not there, but since I am from that place, here are my observations.

1. Although road is very wide with decent footpath of 12+ feet wide on either side, it is still congested because of vehicles associated with school takes all the foot path and parents and school vans are parked on the street at that time, on both the sides of the road. If not, the road is wide enough to accommodate two buses and an auto together

2. Adding to congestion was closure of parallel road (aka pipeline road), to build a railway underpass resulted in too many vehicles on the same road. Police not enforcing the no parking zone(which is already marked) in the area.

3. The boy's house was walk able distance and to save couple of minutes boy took the scooter

4. He is under-age, not licensed and not wearing helmate, while our sympathies are with the boy's family, they are (more)equally responsible for giving (their) underage son the scooter.

5. Lastly trust me the school vans of that particular school, most of the time drive aggressively, without any consideration for other vehicles. I have stopped them couple of times and warned the drivers, but no use.
manjubp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2014, 14:00   #14689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
How could a car hit a bus sideways ? This looks like someone T-boned the car.
Hi mate, There can be 2 scenarios in this accident; namely:

1) Accent overtook the bus from the rear left side of the bus and as the road was curved the accent did not get enough space to maneuver itself hence hit the bus.

2) The bus was approaching from the front and the Accent too approached from the opposite direction thus to avoid a head on collision the Accent maneuvered to the left hence exposing its entire right side for the impact.

As far as T-boning is concerned I believe that going by the scratch pattern its not T-boned.

These are just the probabilities to your question mate. Real cause is sure to come out soon.

thanks

AD
Old 3rd January 2014, 14:05   #14690
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
There is nothing here that proves that his age had anything to do with his riding helmetless. Often such things happen because the person sees others around driving helmetless without consequence. I suggest the traffic police inspectors should be suspended instead.

Please don't confuse two issues. (I'm not supporting underage driving, just contesting your assertion above).
How can police can monitor all internal roads, 24hrs. I am not saying that they are doing their duty when they are present.
But if parents can't control their children or educate their children or educate themselves on underage driving. how can system can take care. If they can get their kids to know how to ride, then they also can get their kids to know what is correct and what is not. This I am saying being parent of an young boy.

What would have been our reaction, if police start to stop every young looking drivers and check the age.

I did talked to the people in nursing home, and saw the photos, clearly with helmet, things could have been better than what it is.

Last edited by manjubp : 3rd January 2014 at 14:07.
manjubp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2014, 14:22   #14691
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Saw this one yesterday. A truck toppled and crushed a taxi and an auto. 2 dead. Passed the spot some 15 mins after the incident.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/28304887.cms
What's worst in these kind of accidents caused by reckless driver ? The below:
Quote:
Das has been booked under IPC sections 279 (rash driving), 304-A (causing death by negligence) 337 (causing hurt by act endangering life or personal safety of others) 338 (causing grievous hurt by act endangering life or personal safety of others) and 427 (mischief causing damage). He will be produced before court on Friday.
And then he is out on bail the next day, rocking the streets again. What the hell is this offence "427 - Mischief causing damaging" ?. I mean what will this do to the offender ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
So what could've sometimes easily been a minor accident (if the rider wore a helmet) causing nothing more than a few bruises (and a bruised ego) can easily turn fatal and get me booked for causing death by negligence, while trying to mind my own business on the road.
Same fear here :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
2. Adding to congestion was closure of parallel road (aka pipeline road), to build a railway underpass resulted in too many vehicles on the same road. Police not enforcing the no parking zone(which is already marked) in the area.
High time there is a PIL raised against BBMP and their idiot officials jailed for ruining the sanity of Bangalore streets. In my opinion, one of the worst civic authorities.
Quote:
3. The boy's house was walk able distance and to save couple of minutes boy took the scooter
Utter foolishness of the parents and the boy. When it is a walkable distance and there is a major jam outside their house, why venture out with the scooter. Shouldn't walking have been a better option ?
Just to highlight what I mean to say - I stay on BTM Lake road, and this road gets choked to the core. Taking the bike for the nearby errands means riding on foothpath , wrong side. Hence I absolutely avoid the bike and just walk down to get a pack of idlis or a pack of milk.
Quote:
4. He is under-age, not licensed and not wearing helmate, while our sympathies are with the boy's family, they are (more)equally responsible for giving (their) underage son the scooter.
My sympathies with the family too. But its' too late to regret. Hope they be careful with their daughter.
Quote:
5. Lastly trust me the school vans of that particular school, most of the time drive aggressively, without any consideration for other vehicles. I have stopped them couple of times and warned the drivers, but no use.
Absolutely agree. Most of the school buses these days have been in news for all the wrong reasons. Hope the school also takes conscience of the alarming situation of reckless driving.
Old 3rd January 2014, 16:27   #14692
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Tragic accident takes life of 14 year old boy in Bangalore.

NEWS ARTICLE

One user has commented on this article and his view is so so so much justified !! Quoting his comment below:

On one hand since the minor was the victim, the parents are obviously making a hue and cry stating that the bus driver was rash. They are over looking the fact that it was Illegal to let a minor ride a vehicle + He wasn't wearing helmet because he used to go to that hotel everyday.

On the other hand, if this minor boy would have rammed into someone and injured another citizen, the parents would have put every possible effort to save their son. In that case the minor would have been let off being a juvenille.

The bus driver absconded from the scene and later surrendered. A case hs been registered against him. I feel bad for the poor fellow. Makes me scared everyday I drive.
I wouldn't say / believe that the bus was driven sanely (because I wasn't at the scene). It could be speeding too, but then we know how some two wheeler riders are, specially when it is a high on adrenaline14 year old minor.

I am sometimes amazed at our society, citizens and laws.
The accident happened very near to my home and the school bus in question is from New Cambridge high School where i studied. The road in question is pretty wide but at morning school hours because of increased parking on the either sides, the road becomes narrow. On top of this the two wheeler are aplenty to take their children to school.

There is a junction where one has to take left to go towards the main gate of the school and the hotel is at the junction on the right side. According to few of the people who stay on the road, the boy overtook the school bus going towards the school at higher speed than warranted on that road and misjudged the distance of the oncoming auto and clipped it and skid. The driver had no time to react is what they say.

Dunno if the school bus was also at high speed or if the boy skid and just fell down without carrying forward the momentum and sliding on the road.If he had slid along then the bus driver may have had some time to react.

A loss of a young life terrible but the parents blaming the bus driver for driving rashly is irresponsible of them. If the boy was walking and was knocked down then i agree. I dunno if they even realize that its wrong on their part to hand over a two wheeler to a 14 year old

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 3rd January 2014 at 16:29.
Old 3rd January 2014, 16:54   #14693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenoytech View Post
This happen to on 28th December 2013 on my way from Hubli to Goa for our Annual pilgrimage of our Family deity Visit. I had just passed Ankola Cross going towards Karwar and driving at about 80 kms/hour, I suddenly noticed at about 100 meters distance a sand laden truck coming out of the curve at high speeds and struggling to control its balance with his left wheels slightly moving up. I did panic at that moment, not knowing which way will he move next. While I accelerated and kept driving straight, The Truck just passed me, kept swirling on his side of the road before crashing upside down onto the road side rock and an electric pole about 50 meters behind me. Me, my Wife and Daughter were visibly shaken from this turn of event. It was nothing short of escape from a bad day on earth. I did came back to see what I could do to help the driver, who's condition I do not know as I left after calling 108 and organising for an Ambulance which was dispatched from Ankola.
Glad you are okay. That must have been scary as heck. The basic understanding of vehicles and physics should be part of the training for drivers, as Volvo does for their trucks and buses. I remember reading an article years ago when Volvo first entered India that they severely reprimanded the owner of a bus that was driven by a driver not trained by them from Bombay to Delhi in the first 4 gears as the driver didn't know how to use the next four gears by switching to overdrive. Corporate responsibility should extend to this as well, IMHO. Civic responsibility should ensure that our children are well-trained and educated on the rules and regulations as well before we allow them to even start practical training.
Old 3rd January 2014, 21:32   #14694
BHPian

Saw this Toyota Etios today. No idea how and where it met with an accident. Apart from the visible damage on the front fender, the entire car was shining and extremely well maintained. It seems that the owner has kept it very delicately. It was an earlier variant and not the upgraded variant launched recently.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-acc-1.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accphoto-2.jpg
mints21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2014, 12:32   #14695
BHPian

My wife's friend and his 3 year old daughter died in an accident on their way to Goa from Bangalore. Apparently he was driving the car with his daughter sleeping in the back seat. He just drove over a slope when a truck overtaking another vehicle came straight ahead and ran over the right side of his car, crushing him and his daughter beyond recognition. The other occupants sitting on the left side of the car sustained fractures. The accident happened on 27th Dec around mid-night. Not sure where exactly it happened. May the departed RIP and may God give courage and bless his family.

On a side note, no idea which car he was driving.
Old 4th January 2014, 14:40   #14696
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingme.crazy View Post
My wife's friend and his 3 year old daughter died in an accident on their way to Goa from Bangalore. Apparently he was driving the car with his daughter sleeping in the back seat. He just drove over a slope when a truck overtaking another vehicle came straight ahead and ran over the right side of his car, crushing him and his daughter beyond recognition. The other occupants sitting on the left side of the car sustained fractures. The accident happened on 27th Dec around mid-night. Not sure where exactly it happened. May the departed RIP and may God give courage and bless his family.

On a side note, no idea which car he was driving.
Gosh. Thats really sad. May they RIP. Rash driving takes so many lives in our country. Especially trucks, lorries and buses drive rash during night putting lives of commuters at risk. When will we have the same standard of road safety and strict rules we see in so many other countries.
Old 4th January 2014, 15:19   #14697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingme.crazy View Post
He just drove over a slope when a truck overtaking another vehicle came straight ahead and ran over the right side of his car
Truck driver will get away with the mistake. One is not supposed to overtake vehicles while on slope.
Old 4th January 2014, 15:28   #14698
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
One is not supposed to overtake vehicles while on slope.
I guess the truck was overtaking another vehicle, not the car.
Old 4th January 2014, 18:10   #14699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
I guess the truck was overtaking another vehicle, not the car.
Yes, but it was doing it on an upward slope as I understand. Which is wrong.
One cannot see what is on the other side of the slope. Which in this case proved to be the car. Even the car driver would not have seen the truck on the other side of the slope. But then he kept on the left side of the road as expected. It was the truck which did the wrong thing by overtaking another vehicle while climbing the slope.
download2live is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2014, 19:54   #14700
Senior - BHPian

The bridge towards Ahmedabad after the Fountain hotel turn off from Ghodbundar road is shut for repairs for 3 months causing major traffic jams on the Mumbai-Ahemdabad highway. Traffic going out of and coming into Mumbai uses the new bridge. It takes upto an hour to cross that bridge. I was returning from Vasai on Sunday when a truck hit my rear door causing a dent , then he scraped across causing a big scratch on the front door knocking off my mirror.Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image2904816817.jpg Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image4263245559.jpg Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image1201320377.jpg

Last edited by amit : 4th January 2014 at 19:56.
amit is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks