Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2014, 19:57   #14701
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Not a great start to the new year. I rear-ended an Alto today. I was driving my City (2010). It was at crawling speeds and I got distracted by something and rear-ended the Alto ahead of me. Damage to the Alto was a broken tail light, a dent on the tail gate, some rear bumper damage (including a tear in the bumper) and minor front bumper damage (as he rear ended the car in front).

It was my fault and I was apologetic from the start. There were 2 guys & 2 ladies inside and one of those ladies was probably just waiting for an apology and that i was willing to pay 2K for the damage to their car, and she started demanding 10K for the damage. A cop was stationed there and he demanded our licenses and called a PCR. My in-laws & my pregnant wife were with me in the car. It then became a case of who was more adamant (I would call it shameless), and I somehow ended paying up 4K for damages which i think shouldn't take more than Rs 2K-2.5K.

Maybe I cracked too easy, but it seems apologising is not a good strategy (even if it's your fault) for someone will try to fleece you.

For the so called "smart/chaloo" people, if you take advantage of normal people, sooner or later, no one will be apologetic for any wrong doing lest they are taken for a ride.

In the end, I am sad my car is no longer accident free & that <use your own language> of a women is the reason why small incidents turn into big arguments.
asr245 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th January 2014, 20:26   #14702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Yes, but it was doing it on an upward slope as I understand. Which is wrong.
One cannot see what is on the other side of the slope. Which in this case proved to be the car. Even the car driver would not have seen the truck on the other side of the slope. But then he kept on the left side of the road as expected. It was the truck which did the wrong thing by overtaking another vehicle while climbing the slope.
Yes, that's what my wife understood when she spoke to some of her friends. I have never been on this route. No idea if there are any dangerous or steep slopes with no visibility ahead.

Just managed to find the news in web. The news reports that driver of the truck fled the scene.

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...-accident.html
drivingme.crazy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2014, 21:23   #14703
BHPian

Saw these wrecks at the attapur service centre today. Although the Indica was pretty badly smashed from the front, the passenger compartment had no damage.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20140104_123147.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20140104_124528.jpg  

Last edited by bigben : 4th January 2014 at 21:31.
bigben is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2014, 21:47   #14704
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Yes, but it was doing it on an upward slope as I understand. Which is wrong.
One cannot see what is on the other side of the slope. Which in this case proved to be the car. Even the car driver would not have seen the truck on the other side of the slope. But then he kept on the left side of the road as expected. It was the truck which did the wrong thing by overtaking another vehicle while climbing the slope.
The simple rule: Overtake only when you can see that the way is clear for the whole manoeuvre. This means not approaching the brow of a hill; not on a corner; not when the view is blocked in any way. And not when there is oncoming traffic.

Some people never got taught this stuff --- but it ought to be obvious to anyone with any IQ above moron. Sadly, either it isn't, or... Well, you can all see where that thought is headed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
Not a great start to the new year. I rear-ended an Alto today. I was driving my City (2010). It was at crawling speeds and I got distracted by something and rear-ended the Alto ahead of me. Damage to the Alto was a broken tail light, a dent on the tail gate, some rear bumper damage (including a tear in the bumper) and minor front bumper damage (as he rear ended the car in front).

It was my fault and I was apologetic from the start. There were 2 guys & 2 ladies inside and one of those ladies was probably just waiting for an apology and that i was willing to pay 2K for the damage to their car, and she started demanding 10K for the damage. A cop was stationed there and he demanded our licenses and called a PCR. My in-laws & my pregnant wife were with me in the car. It then became a case of who was more adamant (I would call it shameless), and I somehow ended paying up 4K for damages which i think shouldn't take more than Rs 2K-2.5K.

Maybe I cracked too easy, but it seems apologising is not a good strategy (even if it's your fault) for someone will try to fleece you.

For the so called "smart/chaloo" people, if you take advantage of normal people, sooner or later, no one will be apologetic for any wrong doing lest they are taken for a ride.

In the end, I am sad my car is no longer accident free & that <use your own language> of a women is the reason why small incidents turn into big arguments.
Perhaps they tried to fleece you, but please consider that you put them to the trouble of getting their car fixed, as well as the cost of doing so. Rightly, you admitted it was your fault. All in all, I think you should swallow your feelings, and consider that you got off lightly.

Lesson for us all: accidents happen even when they seem unlikely! Keeping distance is important even in crawling traffic. It's a good reminder!

>>>Phew, not too late to edit! asr245, I realised that reads a bit too heavy and lecturing. Not meant to be. No offence intended. Just think it is not such a bad thing if they went away feeling they had got recent compensation, even if it is more than the repair cost.

Wishing you a better new year

Amit, sorry about your mishap too.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 4th January 2014 at 22:09.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2014, 22:29   #14705
Senior - BHPian

Hi all, Just called my brother in law to know about their well being and got to know that his X1 BMW was hit from the front just next to a crossing near their home in Gorai 2. The accident happened at 9pm today when my cousin sister with her 4 year old daughter parked the car behind a parked polo and went to an ice cream parlour located near to their home. While she was buying the stuff she heard a loud bang and saw the Polo rolled back and banged. The front bumper got dislocated from the right front side, the number plate broke into 2 pieces and a big dent on the centre of the bumper. My sister ran in hurry but that fellow whom she says was in his 40s drove away like a maniac.

thanks

AD

Last edited by GTO : 9th January 2014 at 13:13. Reason: Last line isn't appropriate, removed
Old 5th January 2014, 00:19   #14706
BHPian

Too weird to believe just by reading at the headlines "RAT" caused a collision on Bandra Worli Sea Link.

http://toi.in/-51BEZ

Luckily no injuries to anyone and hoping the rat escaped unharmed too.

I guess the rats have now joined band wagon of animals on the street causing the trouble.
Old 5th January 2014, 11:22   #14707
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRT View Post
Too weird to believe just by reading at the headlines "RAT" caused a collision on Bandra Worli Sea Link.
I read this too and find it impossible to believe. Even if there was a rat on the road, he could have driven over it in a way that it wouldn't hurt the animal. I mean it was a rat not an elephant!
Old 5th January 2014, 13:21   #14708
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Whats more interesting is that did the Mercedes steering get locked as described by the owner? Why would that happen?
Old 5th January 2014, 13:43   #14709
BHPian

Quote:

http://toi.in/-51BEZ

Luckily no injuries to anyone and hoping the rat escaped unharmed too.

I guess the rats have now joined band wagon of animals on the street causing the trouble.
Lucky escape, I must say, for both cars as there was no traffic close behind. Otherwise it would have easily caused a pile-up of cars resulting in much more damage to cars and its occupamts. Why on earth was he trying to save a rat?
Old 5th January 2014, 16:41   #14710
Distinguished - BHPian

So, here it is, unfortunately my ride makes its way to this thread. I had to go over a divider to avoid a two wheeler.By God's grace I am unhurt. Two wheeler guy fled the spot. Locals and police were very helpful. I was alone and this happened on thirunelveli byepass on the way to nagercoil(Kanyakumari Dist). I will post more details later,

Damaged parts,

Coolant tank
AC Compressor
Right Front Tyre+ Alloy
Radiator
Suspension
Both the head lamp units cracked
Fog Lamp
Horn
Both Airbag
Panels above the tyre arch(both sides)

Underbody is yet to be inspected.

Seatbelt is there for a reason. please don't take it lightly. Not sure, whether I be alive to write this post if I hadn't worn the seatbelt.

Till yesterday, I was not able to convince my dad to wear seat belt. But after seeing his son coming out of this accident unscratched, he buckles the belt dutifully for every trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-3.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-4.jpg  

Last edited by arun_josie : 5th January 2014 at 16:48.
arun_josie is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 5th January 2014, 17:17   #14711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
I read this too and find it impossible to believe. Even if there was a rat on the road, he could have driven over it in a way that it wouldn't hurt the animal. I mean it was a rat not an elephant!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahesh_sn View Post
Lucky escape, I must say, for both cars as there was no traffic close behind. Otherwise it would have easily caused a pile-up of cars resulting in much more damage to cars and its occupamts. Why on earth was he trying to save a rat?
Speculations: superstition? some kind of faith ? or sheer love for rodents that compelled the driver's action.

Without judging the genuine intentions behind his actions I would not hesitate to say all these three habits could be fatal to yourself or your fellow drivers.

We need to to introspect whether we take away our hands from the the steering wheels or worse yet from the steering handles of a bike out of devotion or I may say fear of God when you are in front of something holy? These don't apply on the roads when moving at some speed. I wonder if there is a sacred verse from some holy granth that I could refer here that says don't just do this on the roads when you are in motion. Or may be the scripture did not imagine such situations of 21st century and left this thing open ended to our common sense.
Old 5th January 2014, 17:46   #14712
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
So, here it is, unfortunately my ride makes its way to this thread. I had to go over a divider to avoid a two wheeler.By God's grace I am unhurt. Two wheeler guy fled the spot. Locals and police were very helpful. I was alone and this happened on thirunelveli byepass on the way to nagercoil(Kanyakumari Dist). I will post more details later...
Sad to hear this Arun and thank almighty you made it safe. Awaiting more details but I feel this is another incidence where dezire has saved a disciplined owner.

Biker must have been unhurt as he sped away? Good that you did right thing but he sure didn't!

Not sure if you have opted in for overnighter but even if your ride isn't ready by then, happy to pick you along.

Happy driving (I know you drive safe so didn't need to mention!)

Last edited by abirnale : 5th January 2014 at 17:48.
Old 5th January 2014, 17:48   #14713
BHPian

Quote:
So, here it is, unfortunately my ride makes its way to this thread. I had to go over a divider to avoid a two wheeler.By God's grace I am unhurt
Oh My! God's grace you came out okay. Are you back in Bangalore?
Old 5th January 2014, 17:56   #14714
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So, here it is, unfortunately my ride makes its way to this thread. I had to go over a divider to avoid a two wheeler.By God's grace I am unhurt.
Sorry to hear that Arun! Glad that you escaped unhurt. Do fill us in on the details. I am curious to know how the two-wheeler was heading.

Were you able to swerve into the divider because it did not have the railing? I am wondering if the railing was present, what could have been the outcome! Brake hard perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie
Till yesterday, I was not able to convince my dad to wear seat belt. But after seeing his son coming out of this accident unscratched, he buckles the belt dutifully for every trip.
Old 5th January 2014, 18:52   #14715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
Hi all, Just called my brother in law to know about their well being and got to know that his X1 BMW was hit from the front just next to a crossing near their home in Gorai 2. The accident happened at 9pm today when my cousin sister with her 4 year old daughter parked the car behind a parked polo and went to an ice cream parlour located near to their home. While she was buying the stuff she heard a loud bang and saw the Polo rolled back and banged. The front bumper got dislocated from the right front side, the number plate broke into 2 pieces and a big dent on the centre of the bumper. My sister ran in hurry but that fellow whom she says was in his 40s drove away like a maniac. My brother in law is very tensed and shouted at my sister out of disgust.

thanks

AD
Sorry to hear this AD. I am sure that your sister never new that this maniac Polo owner would reverse the car with such carelessness. She parked the car like anyone of us would do. These incidents do happen. You must advise your brother in law not to feel disgusted and shout on the lady out of frustration . What is the guarantee that such incident would never have occurred with your brother in law on wheels.

We need to be respectful towards ladies, such shouting will only demoralise her and would unnecessarily conscious her on roads. Exercising necessary restraint in such situations is much warranted.

No one would deliberately allow someone to bang his or her car.

Last edited by mints21 : 5th January 2014 at 19:05.
mints21 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed