Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2014, 19:26   #14716
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

I am penning down my personal example where a little negligence can be turned into a big fatel, though not an accident, but I think may be benefited for others. It happened that yesterday I was waitingfor my friend outside a local restaurant and was about to get out of the car and pulled the door opening lever. Suddenly I got call from my friend(who I was about to meet) about the change in plan. Since plan was changed, I buckled up and started moving ahead( note the door was still not properly latched and was just shut). As I moved forward and started entering into a roundabout at a slow speed, suddenly the horror happened and the door swung open of its own(yes I had forgotten to close it properly). I was so panicked in a second and just slammed the breaks which further opened the door fully. Thankfully their was no one to my right and rear side, I just shudder to think that what would have happend if their was any car or bike besides my car at that time. I just parked my car at roadside afterwards as I was so scared of what just happened. So guys please check before moving that the door is latched properly or not, especially cars which are not equipped with door open warning lights or central locking.
P.S- Mods please move the message in an appropriate thread if I have posted in wrong one.

Mod Note :

There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your post. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers. Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by Aditya : 6th January 2014 at 15:01.
EFF-EIGHT-BEE is offline   Received Infraction
Old 5th January 2014, 20:27   #14717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
>>>Phew, not too late to edit! asr245, I realised that reads a bit too heavy and lecturing. Not meant to be. No offence intended. Just think it is not such a bad thing if they went away feeling they had got recent compensation, even if it is more than the repair cost.
No offense taken :-). I was a bit peeved at that lady (I am over it) & my car losing it's "innocence" (not over it yet). Today I was thankful that it was just another vehicle and not some innocent pedestrian else I would have been in a bucket load of trouble.

Taking insurance would have cost be about 9K (if i opt not to change the haed light) & lose my 35%-40% NCB when I renew 2 months from now. Opted to visit a local garage & got the job done in 3K.
asr245 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2014, 20:30   #14718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingme.crazy View Post
My wife's friend and his 3 year old daughter died in an accident on their way to Goa from Bangalore. Apparently he was driving the car with his daughter sleeping in the back seat. He just drove over a slope when a truck overtaking another vehicle came straight ahead and ran over the right side of his car, crushing him and his daughter beyond recognition. The other occupants sitting on the left side of the car sustained fractures. The accident happened on 27th Dec around mid-night. Not sure where exactly it happened. May the departed RIP and may God give courage and bless his family.

On a side note, no idea which car he was driving.
May their soul RIP, i had just passed this stretch between 2-3 PM in the afternoon on 27th on my way to Goa. My friend was supposed to join us the next morning which meant he was driving on this stretch at night. I was really worried until he reached Goa. This stretch is quite treacherous i must say, nice flat roads until Hubli suddenly leads into the Ghat sections and one might take sometime adjusting. There is also the fact that overloaded underpowered old trucks are really running out of breath on this stretch and faster vehicles are in a hurry to overtake them. Though we were just 2 couples we had taken two cars since his wife could not get a day off. He insisted i too start late and thus we can take one car instead of two. I decided against it since both wifey and i had taken the day off and we could very well start early in the morning and reach by noon. I have driven over a lakh kilometers and many a times at night, but i generally avoid it if its possible.
gurudutt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2014, 20:37   #14719
BHPian

Car splitting into two! That's insane and scary. I never knew cars are built to chop like this,they should crumble,isn't it?
Old 5th January 2014, 22:45   #14720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
She parked the car like anyone of us would do. These incidents do happen. You must advise your brother in law not to feel disgusted and shout on the lady out of frustration . What is the guarantee that such incident would never have occurred with your brother in law on wheels.

We need to be respectful towards ladies, No one would deliberately allow someone to bang his or her car.
Hi mate, Really its a very deligent view from your end. I called up in the morning to ask them how everything got settled; So was told by my sister that the car was covered under zero-dep policy hence expenses would be adjusted in it and car will be sent for repairs tomorrow.

OT: My brother in law on the other hand had to pay an even bigger price for shouting at my sister i.e No meals cooked for him today by her hence he had to look up to a chinese joint next to their home. Now he is sorry about what he did yesterday. And my sister on the other hand has not given any insurance to him that a "No meal day" cant be repeated.

thanks

AD
ad3952n is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th January 2014, 23:10   #14721
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
So, here it is, unfortunately my ride makes its way to this thread. I had to go over a divider to avoid a two wheeler.By God's grace I am unhurt. Two wheeler guy fled the spot. Locals and police were very helpful. I was alone and this happened on thirunelveli byepass on the way to nagercoil(Kanyakumari Dist). I will post more details later,
Hi Arun, sad to hear this. Thankfully you are OK. The car will be fixed within a month (max). I want to thank all those kind souls too who helped you in your ordeal. I had an accident one year ago when a 2 wheeler suddenly veered in front of my car. Now when I drive through the highways, I am really weary of villagers in 2 wheelers popping out suddenly through medians. Once again, the importance of wearing seatbelts was proved. Seatbelts save lives. Please belt up friends,always.

Last edited by ankan.m.blr : 5th January 2014 at 23:11.
ankan.m.blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2014, 23:22   #14722
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So, here it is, unfortunately my ride makes its way to this thread. I had to go over a divider to avoid a two wheeler ...
There must have been a combination of luck and good handling on your part that this did not turn out far worse, eg flipping the car.

Anyway, it's bad enough, and not a nice way to start the new year.

Quote:
Seatbelt is there for a reason. please don't take it lightly. Not sure, whether I be alive to write this post if I hadn't worn the seatbelt.

Till yesterday, I was not able to convince my dad to wear seat belt. But after seeing his son coming out of this accident unscratched, he buckles the belt dutifully for every trip.
At least something good came of it!
Old 5th January 2014, 23:27   #14723
Senior - BHPian

This happened last week while i was returning back from AhmedNagar. I was doing speeds between 75-80km/h. There was a Zen ahead of me and a Verna was tailgating me. We were coming downhill when a dog started crossing the road and was near the Zen's bumper. The Zen guy honked and the dog moved away. I kept honking but the Dog started crossing again and was near my car. As there was a lot of gap between me and the Zen i started braking but the verna behind was tailgating and started honking madly. Finally i let go off the brake and our car hit the dog.
When i saw in the RVM the dog flew sideways and started walking again. But i had not seen it clearly and scared me like hell. It was my first highway drive and this incident took place. Later i recollected the whole incident and realised that the dog was saved which gave me a little confidence and i continued to Pune.
Now many would ask me as to what i was doing in the first lane and why i did not let the verna go. I really don't know what was wrong with him. I gave side ti him twice the last time signaled him with my hand but he was not going ahead. As soon as i started overtaking a truck he would tailgate me. Totally weird. I did not have the guts to stop the car after hitting the dog as the place was deserted with just one wine shop where the incident took place. I had my mom, brother and grandparents with me. I hope the dog is fine.
The car was taken for repairs to a friends workshop and costed us Rs.1800/-
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo-9.jpg  

asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2014, 23:41   #14724
Distinguished - BHPian

@Arun. Sorry to hear about the accident. Its good that you are out safe which matters more than anything else.

Where are getting the car repaired?
Old 6th January 2014, 09:24   #14725
Senior - BHPian

I drove to Bangalore from Goa yesterday. Where exactly did the accident mentioned by drivingme.crazy occur? If it was in the ghat section between Hubli and Karwar, I could guess why.

The road is broad, and has plenty of slow-moving trucks climbing up towards Hubli. Those who are following these trucks try to overtake them even in no-overtaking zones (marked by solid white centre line, compared to dashed centre line elsewhere). Most likely, people don't know what a solid white centre line indicates.

My project manager just mentioned about an accident, which seems to be the same one. He told me that one of our colleagues' husband and his daughter passed away in an accident near Karwar, when their car collided with a truck. It seems that the other injured occupants of the car could not get help for four hours, because no one stopped to help. I think people didn't even bother to call ambulance!
Old 6th January 2014, 09:50   #14726
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, here it is, unfortunately my ride makes its way to this thread.
Hey Arun, just saw this post today !! What happened man ? I never imagined in my wildest dream that your car would turn up here, and that too such a major one.
Really saddenning to see the ride. Your's was one of the most well maintained cars that I know of in the close circles.

The damage looks monstorous from the list you have made. Lot of money and time would be wasted around. Hope there is no significant damage to the chassis and underbody.

I am happy that you were unscathed. Good things happen to good people. God bless man. Hope you and your car recovers soon from the trauma. Keep us posted on the final outcome of the repair.
Old 6th January 2014, 10:11   #14727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
This happened last week while i was returning back from AhmedNagar. I was doing speeds between 75-80km/h. There was a Zen ahead of me and a Verna was tailgating me. We were coming downhill when a dog started crossing the road and was near the Zen's bumper. The Zen guy honked and the dog moved away. I kept honking but the Dog started crossing again and was near my car. As there was a lot of gap between me and the Zen i started braking but the verna behind was tailgating and started honking madly. Finally i let go off the brake and our car hit the dog.
When i saw in the RVM the dog flew sideways and started walking again. But i had not seen it clearly and scared me like hell. It was my first highway drive and this incident took place. Later i recollected the whole incident and realised that the dog was saved which gave me a little confidence and i continued to Pune.
Now many would ask me as to what i was doing in the first lane and why i did not let the verna go. I really don't know what was wrong with him. I gave side ti him twice the last time signaled him with my hand but he was not going ahead. As soon as i started overtaking a truck he would tailgate me. Totally weird. I did not have the guts to stop the car after hitting the dog as the place was deserted with just one wine shop where the incident took place. I had my mom, brother and grandparents with me. I hope the dog is fine.
The car was taken for repairs to a friends workshop and costed us Rs.1800/-
Firstly, glad to know that nothing serious happened and you are well. Such things happen and especially when you have no choice due to some idiot tailgating you.

It was a good decision not to brake and let the car hit the dog as that damage is much less compared to being hit by a speeding verna from behind.

Don't let this experience affect your driving confidence in anyway because you did the right thing.

Cheers!
the_skyliner is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 10:43   #14728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Firstly, glad to know that nothing serious happened and you are well. Such things happen and especially when you have no choice due to some idiot tailgating you. It was a good decision not to brake and let the car hit the dog as that damage is much less compared to being hit by a speeding verna from behind. Don't let this experience affect your driving confidence in anyway because you did the right thing. Cheers!
Thanks the_skyliner
This was the same thing my dad had told me when I stopped at saradwadi just after accident to call him. I was able to drive but unable to look at the RVM as the images of the dog flying back kept appearing. After talking to him felt better. And no way is my confidence going down. The LTD factor will never let it go down
Old 6th January 2014, 10:47   #14729
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFF-EIGHT-BEE View Post
...So guys please check before moving that the door is latched properly or not, especially cars which are not equipped with door open warning lights or central locking...
I usually look at the reading lamp and set it to the middle position - which is ON when doors open. Even then, there could be misses. Every now and then, when I see a partially locked/unlocked car on the road, I make sure I inform them about it.

With the kind of road rage we have, most of them get startled when I pull up close to them and think why is the guy shouting / making gestures! I am at the receiving end rarely too and takes time to realise they are infact helping.

Quote:
... I gave side ti him twice the last time signaled him with my hand but he was not going ahead. As soon as i started overtaking a truck he would tailgate me. Totally weird...
Some people use the vehicle in the front as a pilot if they are NOT sure of the roads. The pilot vehicle will clear other vehicles and also slow down on the bad roads which is a plus for the guys behind. And if the pilot is slower than what they like, then force them to increase pace by honking!

Quote:
...I did not have the guts to stop the car after hitting the dog as the place was deserted with just one wine shop where the incident took place...
Mistake! You should have stopped immediately and checked for damages than moving further. If the damages were more, you would have ended up with a stranded car and bigger bills or even a bigger accident (if some component failed).

Quote:
...The car was taken for repairs to a friends workshop and costed us Rs.1800/-
Damage looks very similar to what I had when I hit a dog on the way to Andhra couple of years back. The additional damage (compared to yours) was the fog lamp housing breaking. Plus, the dog flew to the left and then ran away than walk away.

Quote:
So, here it is, unfortunately my ride makes its way to this thread. I had to go over a divider to avoid a two wheeler.By God's grace I am unhurt. Two wheeler guy fled the spot...
Why / How did your navigator side get damaged?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 6th January 2014 at 10:51.
Old 6th January 2014, 12:24   #14730
BHPian

Got a what's up update with a video on 25 car pile up on Yamuna Expressway. Looks to be bad. Can anyone confirm the new's??

Not sure how to upload the video...

Last edited by Sha09mel : 6th January 2014 at 12:25. Reason: error

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks