Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2014, 10:07   #14776
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
From the photograph of the mangled remains, it looks like a Ford Ecosport. (Just my personal opinion - I think the safety features of the Ecosport must have prevented more fatalities)

http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Defau...&ViewMode=HTML
That certainly is an EcoSport and it must be either the Titanium or the Titanium (O), going by the chrome grille. So ABS and Airbags would have been present. But without gathering much more info about the speed or angle of collision, it difficult to come to a conclusion.
To me, the car looks to have been T-boned by the truck!
Old 17th January 2014, 10:08   #14777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Saw that in the newspaper today. Very bad crash! It looks like heavy load on high speed along with inexperience. There were 7 boys in that EcoSport.

One of them lost his life. They had taken the car out in early morning without their parents knowledge for a joy ride.

Attachment 1191860
Glad to note that pedestrians or other cars are not hit by this joyride accident.

Any news on the other six ?
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2014, 10:21   #14778
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Any news on the other six ?
The news says all of them have head injuries and in the ICU.
Old 17th January 2014, 10:22   #14779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
The car must have been driven at very high speed and on going over a hump, lost control and rammed against a truck parked by the road.
Quote:
One of them lost his life. They had taken the car out in early morning without their parents knowledge for a joy ride.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Glad to note that pedestrians or other cars are not hit by this joyride accident.
I am glad that the report doesn't say that the truck driver was charged with rash and negligent driving or any other random charges for that matter.
I feel sorry for the kid who lost his life and the others who went through trauma for believing in their friend.
But I feel more sorry for the lorry driver who would now be harrassed for no direct fault of his in the accident. Ofcourse, he could be charged for wrog parking without blinkers or tail lights on, etc.
Old 17th January 2014, 10:27   #14780
BHPian

Quote:
Saw that in the newspaper today. Very bad crash! It looks like heavy load on high speed along with inexperience. There were 7 boys in that EcoSport.

Attachment 1191860
Really sad, RIP. 7 people in an eco sport and driving at high speeds is inviting trouble. The occupants could have very well banged against each other and worsened the accident. Overloading any car exponentially reduces the handling/braking capabilities. Not assuming anything, but i feel kids need to be educated about the power at their disposal and what can happen if they abuse it.
Old 17th January 2014, 10:55   #14781
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
The news report says that the Ecosport hit the truck, which was parked on the left side of the road, on it's left side. That explains the T-bone impact. Something like the image below.
Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 3749
Size:  1.9 KB
7 kids, aged 16-17, jolly-ride @ ~03:00 in the morning - recipe for disaster.
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2014, 12:19   #14782
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
the owner should be asked to pay the price of repairing the road divider to the agencies to carry out the repair job.

Hope such steps if implemented someday will act as some detterent.
Are you trying to say that someone who lost his son would have acted differently if there was a fine to be paid for repairing the dividers?

Timing of this incident leads me to believe that the kids might have just sneaked out of the house without letting any elders know about it.

Given the fact that most kids have personal cell phones at their disposal, this should be an eye-opener to all parents regarding how much the kids can plan and do without letting anyone else get a wind of it. Its a really dangerous situation if the parents are not extremely careful!
Old 17th January 2014, 13:41   #14783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
That certainly is an EcoSport and it must be either the Titanium or the Titanium (O), going by the chrome grille. So ABS and Airbags would have been present. But without gathering much more info about the speed or angle of collision, it difficult to come to a conclusion.
From the visuals on TV, airbags were not deployed. Also it is highly unlikely that they were all buckled up.

BTW, the Ecosport was just 3 days old (according to the MM news).
Old 17th January 2014, 13:43   #14784
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Happy that license need NOT be issued for one more moron! My prayers for others though.
The other people are equally to be blamed. They got slightly more lucky is a different matter. Do parents or owner of the car get punished in such cases for allowing a minor to drive and endagering life and property on the road?
Old 17th January 2014, 13:47   #14785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The other people are equally to be blamed. They got slightly more lucky is a different matter. Do parents or owner of the car get punished in such cases for allowing a minor to drive and endagering life and property on the road?
Thats what the TOI article says

"Police have registered a case against the father of the deceased boy for allowing the teenager to drive the vehicle without licence"
Old 17th January 2014, 13:48   #14786
BHPian

Quote:

Ideally that should happen. Punishing parents or the car owner will set a deterent for all who as adults are so careless about the lives of their own and others on the road as well. I have seen quite a few bragging about their 15 yr olds driving like pro and in my heart i always fear that its a disaster in waiting.
Old 17th January 2014, 13:54   #14787
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Are you trying to say that someone who lost his son would have acted differently if there was a fine to be paid for repairing the dividers?...
The public / government does NOT have to bother about the minds of the parents right? It's the parent's mistake that they didn't secure the car out of reach of the kid.

I also hope the car is a total loss & insurance is NOT covered, even by a single rupee since the driver was a minor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
...the kids might have just sneaked out of the house without letting any elders know about it...
1. Problem with the upbringing then! Parents need to be blamed for this too.
2. Why were the keys at the disposal of the kid?

Quote:
..Do parents or owner of the car get punished in such cases for allowing a minor to drive and endagering life and property on the road?
No two ways about it. Both the parents should be sentenced to a non-bailable jail term (at least a short one) so that such incidents will induce some fear in parents as well as kids.
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2014, 13:59   #14788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
But I feel more sorry for the lorry driver who would now be harrassed for no direct fault of his in the accident. Ofcourse, he could be charged for wrog parking without blinkers or tail lights on, etc.
On this incident it could be due to inexperience. But these trucks parked on the side are just accidents waiting to happen. I remember a couple of weeks ago, just after the bridge exiting GST to thoraipakkam (GST-pallavaram road leading to Kamakshi hospital) saw a badly mangled Tata Indigo cause a truck was parked on the side of the road with no blinkers, reflectors. There were no underrun protection on the truck and the truck loading bed was almost halfway into the passenger compartment. Heck the rear wheel assembly (Hub, crown, axle) of the truck was crippled. Adding to it, it was just after the curve on the bridge on a two lane highway, who would expect a stationary truck hogging almost 1/3rd of the unlit road at night. .
The other drivers gathered around incident all of them were talking about no fault of the truck driver, no one was even thinking about non-working blinkers.

Last edited by knaveen : 17th January 2014 at 14:01.
knaveen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2014, 14:02   #14789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
1. Problem with the upbringing then! Parents need to be blamed for this too.
2. Why were the keys at the disposal of the kid?
I can quite appreciate your anger at such incidents. I have been at the receiving end of rev-happy kids on their high speed bikes - almost rammed into one the other day.
Yes - quite a few parents look the other way when their (minor) children go around on bikes and cars. Someone I knew used to brag about his son (the boy was in school then) - about how well he could drive blah blah.
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2014, 14:13   #14790
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knaveen View Post
On this incident it could be due to inexperience. But these trucks parked on the side are just accidents waiting to happen. I remember a couple of weeks ago, just after the bridge exiting GST to thoraipakkam (GST-pallavaram road leading to Kamakshi hospital) saw a badly mangled Tata Indigo cause a truck was parked on the side of the road with no blinkers, reflectors...
I had a very narrow escape once too! The truck didn't have even the reflector strips or those were covered in muck! The truck was on the highway under the trees, had the tarpolin sheet covered and the vehicles from opposite side were on high beams, and I was on low beams being a law abiding citizen. I saw the truck at the very last moment, went on top of some of the stones kept to initmate about the break down.

Such truck drivers & cleaners also should be penalised and subjected to "murder" charges. Then they will learn to keep their trucks in top shape, will make sure to have all lights working and also will invest into some good reflector boards / strips etc!
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed