Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2014, 14:22   #14791
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
From the visuals on TV, airbags were not deployed.
The front is more or less intact which means the airbag sensors wouldn't have been activated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

1. Problem with the upbringing then! Parents need to be blamed for this too.
2. Why were the keys at the disposal of the kid?

No two ways about it. Both the parents should be sentenced to a non-bailable jail term (at least a short one) so that such incidents will induce some fear in parents as well as kids.
Fully agree on the poor upbringing of kids and the lack of values but keeping the keys out of reach of kids is a difficult thing to implement in practice. These are not 2 year olds who cannot reach the top of a cupboard or so.

In most cases, the parents read about all these incidents and think it is applicable only for other kids and parents where the upbringing is an issue - not applicable for them. They'll think their own kids would never do it till they are actually proven wrong. Given the current competitive world where you don't get time for anything but your job, even the so called 'educated' and 'sensible' parents wouldn't be really spending enough quality time with their children as their parents had spent with them a generation ago.

Last edited by zenren : 17th January 2014 at 14:24.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2014, 14:47   #14792
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
....but keeping the keys out of reach of kids is a difficult thing to implement in practice. These are not 2 year olds who cannot reach the top of a cupboard or so. ..
Guess you didn't get my point correctly. Whatever the age is, if the kids are restricted to enter parents' room during the odd hours, they could have NEVER got the keys. I don't find a reason why this is difficult to implement; if your kids don't listen to you, keep the door locked in the night. It's as simple as it can get.
Old 17th January 2014, 14:52   #14793
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Such truck drivers & cleaners also should be penalised and subjected to "murder" charges. Then they will learn to keep their trucks in top shape, will make sure to have all lights working and also will invest into some good reflector boards / strips etc!
What about when the battery is flat?

If a person drives into a stationary object, it is not the fault of the object.

Old 17th January 2014, 14:58   #14794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

I disagree. No one expects a stationary object on a unlit highway in the middle of the night. What about reflectors? There is that warning triangle specifically for this!
knaveen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2014, 15:06   #14795
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if this has been posted, but in Noida 8 children were injured when their school bus (belonging to Army Public School) collided with a truck in the morning near Sector 31. The accident was caused by fog.

The condition of 2 children is said to be critical.

More details here:

http://www.ndtv.com/article/cities/n...injured-471741
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2014, 15:07   #14796
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knaveen View Post
...But these trucks parked on the side are just accidents waiting to happen.
Quote:
I had a very narrow escape once too! The truck didn't have even the reflector strips or those were covered in muck!
So what is the take home from all these death traps waiting on Indian roads ? It is to Drive Slow and Be Alert.
I have been a highway driver just twice or thrice. But I have never crossed 90kmph, that too only on a straight stretch where I can see atleast 500mts ahead.
On state highways with no medians and shady trees, I have never ever crossed 70kmph. I know 70kmph is a good speed to impact, but my braking would still be more effective rather than that at 100kmph, ain't it ?

I pray for those people who post pictures of their ODO touching 100+kmph. I pray for those who say that Yamuna Expressway or any other expressway for that matter is easily do-able at 100+ speeds. Haven't they heard the term "tyre-burst" ?

For all I say is that a machine has its limitations, even the super Bugatti Veyron would have its limitations. Please don't push the limits of any vehicle. And touching 100+ speeds is actually pushing the limits of all vehicles on Indian roads atleast.

I am not defending the truckers parked without any blinkers or tail lights or reflectors !! I am just saying how to avoid these death traps.

Quote:
.....Given the current competitive world where you don't get time for anything but your job, even the so called 'educated' and 'sensible' parents wouldn't be really spending enough quality time with their children as their parents had spent with them a generation ago.
You just echoed my thoughts. Sometimes when I am in shower or sitting alone, I always wonder what would be my son grow up like. Will he be like the ones I see everyday, spike hair, low waist bermudas, wheeling on a Dio ? Sacres the shit out of me. Sometimes I feel like sending him over to my hometown, to my parents. The Metro-Culture is not helping our generation, and is spoiling the future generation.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th January 2014, 15:48   #14797
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Absolutely, it's the fault of the owner of the object if he/she chooses to leave it un-attended / without adequate visual warnings for other road users.

Edit:: Don't we activate the hazards when we park by the side of the road? Or leave it just like that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knaveen View Post
I disagree. No one expects a stationary object on a unlit highway in the middle of the night. What about reflectors? There is that warning triangle specifically for this!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
So what is the take home from all these death traps waiting on Indian roads ? It is to Drive Slow and Be Alert.

On state highways with no medians and shady trees, I have never ever crossed 70kmph. I know 70kmph is a good speed to impact, but my braking would still be more effective rather than that at 100kmph, ain't it ?..
Would you be surprised to know that I was driving at less than 60 kmph because my visibility was hit by the high beams from opposite side? There was NO way I would have averted the mishap otherwise.

Edit:: I seriously hope the big sheets the truck wallahs use to cover their goods start coming with reflective strips on those.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 17th January 2014 at 16:00. Reason: Edited some portion of this.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2014, 16:56   #14798
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by avmaxfan View Post
From the pic it doesn't look like the Ecosport hit the lorry but a case of lorry T-boning the Ecosport
I've given the possible scenario of how it happened in the Accidents thread here. The truck was stationary and the Ecosport rammed into it after the kid lost control over the vehicle.
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2014, 17:12   #14799
BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely, it's the fault of the owner of the object if he/she chooses to leave it un-attended / without adequate visual warnings for other road users.
Agreed, but in this case, there is a small detail that people are missing. In the Ecosport accident, the kid lost control of the car and then rammed into the truck. So, it was not a case of unlit object or obstruction. It could have been an electric pole, a wall or anything for that matter. As someone said, responsibility and being within ones limit is the key. You can do postmortem analysis of how it happened, but bottom line is, a lost life cannot be brought back.
Old 17th January 2014, 17:32   #14800
Team-BHP Support

An idiot today on Victoria Road - slams into a BMW

Last edited by ajmat : 18th January 2014 at 18:13.
ajmat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th January 2014, 17:37   #14801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
An idiot today on Victoria Road - slams into a BMW

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
content not available. Can you do a copy-paste here?
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2014, 19:44   #14802
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
content not available. Can you do a copy-paste here?
Reset video for public viewing. Should work now
Old 17th January 2014, 20:16   #14803
BHPian

Whenever I see fathers teaching their minor kids to drive I have made a habit of stopping and telling the father to start look for a girl and get the kid married. When he already drives at 10 why cant he marry? I follow it up with a few bad words so that he doesn't take it lightly. We team bhpians should ensure that our kids don't get the keys before age.
Old 17th January 2014, 20:59   #14804
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Reset video for public viewing. Should work now
Absolutely foolish is what I will say. The guy overtook you from the left and tried to do the same to the auto guy but got trapped as the auto wanted to stop after the BMW but the scooter fellow couldn't judge the auto and rammed into him.

More than the scooter hitting the car he was thrown onto the car and the scooter fell on him!

I have read all the comments posted under the video, So what was the outcome of the whole issue at the police station?

Hats off to your cam and the help offered to the BMW owner.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2014, 21:19   #14805
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
Agreed, but in this case, there is a small detail that people are missing. In the Ecosport accident, the kid lost control of the car and then rammed into the truck....
My comments were NOT with respect to the Ecosport accident, but those involving trucks broken down in the side of the road and ones left with NO reflective strips & lights to indicate its presence.

Most Viewed