Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2014, 22:05   #14806
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by knaveen View Post
I disagree. No one expects a stationary object on a unlit highway in the middle of the night. What about reflectors? There is that warning triangle specifically for this!
What about a fallen tree? What about a cow?

You may not expect, but if you drive as if you don't expect, then don't blame the thing you hit.
Quote:
Absolutely, it's the fault of the owner of the object if he/she chooses to leave it un-attended / without adequate visual warnings for other road users.
Same answer. As to broken-down vehicles, yes, there should be some warning, but let me remind you of the rhyme that my father taught me when I was a small child....

He was right, dead right,
As he toddled along,
But he's just as dead
As if he'd been wrong.

So, sure, campaign for better safety precautions from truck drivers, etc --- but expect them not to happen.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 17th January 2014 at 22:10.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2014, 22:39   #14807
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
My comments were NOT with respect to the Ecosport accident, but those involving trucks broken down in the side of the road and ones left with NO reflective strips & lights to indicate its presence.
In India, one must be lucky not to find a broken down truck in the middle of the road or the right lane, forget left lane. What reflectors? RTO mandated warning triangles, and these truck drivers assumed it was some gift given to them and pasted it in unwanted locations like the front, or undercarriage etc. Only few blessed souls have put it at the back.
We have had a few close calls with trucks stopped in the right lane. The only reflectors those guys know is small branches of some poor tree whose purpose is known only by the ones who put it.

Had been to wonder la a few days back and just moments before we reached, an all New Honda City was T boned by an Indica cab when the City took a quick right into wonder la cross. Its shell had become curvy and it would go left even if the steering was kept straight. I guess both parties are at equal fault. The cab had two bumps on its windshield and I didnt feel bad for that at all. Guess the City was a write off.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2014, 22:40   #14808
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
What about a fallen tree? What about a cow?

You may not expect, but if you drive as if you don't expect, then don't blame the thing you hit.

Same answer. As to broken-down vehicles, yes, there should be some warning...
Agreed. Night driving is pretty simple really:
  1. Don't drive beyond your vision (i.e. headlight & road illumination, lines of sight)
  2. Don't drive beyond your braking abilities (reaction time, vehicle stopping distance) - this applies to daytime too, and is a common mistake made by 2 wheelers with their tremendous acceleration and terrible brakes/braking stability

In hindsight, the above points apply to all times, not just night.

Mistakes happen when we start assuming that the road is clear, and then suddenly our headlights illuminate the unexpected.
arunphilip is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th January 2014, 00:00   #14809
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilg33 View Post
Whenever I see fathers teaching their minor kids to drive I have made a habit of stopping and telling the father to start look for a girl and get the kid married. When he already drives at 10 why cant he marry? I follow it up with a few bad words so that he doesn't take it lightly. We team bhpians should ensure that our kids don't get the keys before age.
I beleive the minimum age for driving 4 wheelers should be 26 in India. Until that age, most kids are prone to mindless risk taking without realizing the possible consequences.
R

Last edited by Ragul : 18th January 2014 at 00:01.
Old 18th January 2014, 01:31   #14810
BHPian

Narrating an incident which my younger sister witnessed. Apologize if I am not able to provide the complete story, as I was not personally present there.

This happened couple of weeks back. My sister was traveling from Dharwad to Mumbai in VRL bus along with our niece for Christmas holidays. They were sitting in the 1st row behind driver.

In the middle of night, somewhere near Pune, bus had flat tyre and had stopped for changing it. Out of nowhere they heard a loud bang noise. Upon checking they saw a two-wheeler had rear-ended and was lying unconscious. To this the driver got feared and wrapped-up his work and started moving the bus.

My sister and another gentleman were trying to convince the driver to call up VRL or any ambulance so that the injured guy is taken to hospital. The driver was reluctant to make any calls. Finally the other guy who was requesting driver called up VRL manager/supervisor and the supervisor asked driver to just move out as soon as possible.

My sister tried to argue with driver to at least inform an ambulance or wait till they an ambulance arrive (she was ready to call). The driver raised the voice and made her silence saying, reaching Mumbai will be late and problem for other passengers, if they have to keep helping like this.. Blah.. Blah..

He took opinion of other passengers in the bus, however none favored in helping the injured two wheeler!! Everyone were silent and they moved from the place.

Later my sister was talking to other passengers and asked what if the injured and unconscious two wheeler was one of them? How would they and their family feel when they are left on the road for dying? Now the other passengers were like, Yeah.. Yeah.. That is true.
But they had left the spot without helping the poor chap.

On reaching Mumbai, the other guy who was also trying to help at night, tried a lot in getting drivers name and his phone number. Even after repeated requests, the driver did not provide any details and asked to call the number (some VRL supervisor) he had provided in the night for any emergency.

Asked my sister whether the parking lights or blinkers were ON when the bus was parked side. She did not have an answer. Probably she just sitting inside the bus or missed noticing it.

This is really inhuman of leaving an unconscious person lying on the road to die.
Where have our values of life gone?
Does it really matter only if the problem happens to us or our loved ones?
500ContyCruiser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2014, 06:05   #14811
Senior - BHPian

I was wondering why no one thought of calling 108. Looks like it's not available in Maharashtra. What is the number for ambulance there?

Also, 100, 101 and 102 are valid across India right?
rohanjf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2014, 06:51   #14812
BHPian

Hi all,
Relating about my accident.
I was on my way to matheran wit 4 friends and two enfields. On my way past mc donalds in panvel i saw a truck on the wrong side of the road and rammed into it. The accident turned out to be so bad tat i broke my jaw in 6 places, fractures my right hand, broke my front 4 teeth and ended up wit multiple glass pieces from my glares, in my eye. My eyelid was slit into half. One of my friend sitting behind me fractured his hand too. The driver fled the scene leaving the truck behind.

Luckily i had people around to help my other two friends. A big piece of glass was stuck in my eye which the locals pulled out on the street before taking me to Gandhi hospital in panvel. Later i and my friend were shifted to kokilaben hospital in Mumbai where the doctors weren't sure if i was going to make it. I had two major surgeries which went for 16 hrs at a stretch in which the docs removed 7 more small pieces of glass from my eye. My chances were slim but by god's grace i made it. The accident set my family back by 7-8 lacs.

It was a long 6 months recovery and a very stressful and painful one at that.

I couldn't remember how the event transpired. The impact was so bad tat i lost 15 mins of my memory of the incident. Only when a cop from panvel who came to my house for signing the statement, was i informed that the truck driver was caught and he confessed that it was his fault as he was driving his truck on the wrong side of the road. Later he was released on a bail of 5000 rs and the truck was given back to the owner. So basically it was not a big deal because i did'nt die. Sucks to be an indian.

Well, i repaired my bike n i still ride. But now i am left with a hillbilly eye and an asymmetrical face.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image3762877224.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image4108008012.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image4148197214.jpg  

frozen Heat is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th January 2014, 07:07   #14813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
I was wondering why no one thought of calling 108. Looks like it's not available in Maharashtra. What is the number for ambulance there? Also, 100, 101 and 102 are valid across India right?
Yes.. These numbers are same across India.

Yeah, that was my another question to my sister. As mentioned she wanted to do it.. But the driver was insisting on not getting involved in these matters and get out of the place as quickly as possible.
Old 18th January 2014, 08:07   #14814
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen Heat View Post
Hi all,
I was on my way to matheran wit 4 friends and two enfields. On my way past mc donalds in panvel i saw a truck on the wrong side of the road and rammed into it. Sucks to be an indian.

Well, i repaired my bike n i still ride. But now i am left with a hillbilly eye and an asymmetrical face.
Dude, now that you've recovered, i'll still wish you more of recovery. I can make out the kind of injuries you've had suffered. Glad to know that you had no head injury. I just wanted to know, was it night time when you had hit the truck? And what would've been your speed at that time?
As far as legalities are concerned, we have pretty strange laws.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 18th January 2014 at 08:08.
Old 18th January 2014, 09:09   #14815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,
I was on my way to matheran wit 4 friends and two enfields. On my way past mc donalds in panvel i saw a truck on the wrong side of the road and rammed into it. The accident turned out to be so bad tat i broke my jaw in 6 places, fractures my right hand, broke my front 4 teeth and ended up wit multiple glass pieces from my glares, in my eye. My eyelid was slit into half. One of my friend sitting behind me fractured his hand too. The driver fled the scene leaving the truck behind.

Luckily i had people around to help my other two friends. A big piece of glass was stuck in my eye which the locals pulled out on the street before taking me to Gandhi hospital in panvel. Later i and my friend were shifted to kokilaben hospital in Mumbai where the doctors weren't sure if i was going to make it. I had two major surgeries which went for 16 hrs at a stretch in which the docs removed 7 more small pieces of glass from my eye. My chances were slim but by god's grace i made it. The accident set my family back by 7-8 lacs.

It was a long 6 months recovery and a very stressful and painful one at that.
Sorry to hear about your accident. Were you wearing a helmet during this accident? If so which brand? I thought a good helmet should prevent these type of injuries. Was the glass that struck your eyes from the visor?

Last edited by zenren : 18th January 2014 at 09:12.
Old 18th January 2014, 09:19   #14816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
My comments were NOT with respect to the Ecosport accident, but those involving trucks broken down in the side of the road and ones left with NO reflective strips & lights to indicate its presence.
swiftnfurious, my comment was specific to the Ecosport accident, but I echo your views. On Indian highways, you can expect everything from a broken down truck to sleeping domestic cattle. Roads are meant for vehicles and also shared for all sorts of other activities too . And talking of law and its implementation, we are very lenient. Anything from the marker lights & reflective strips to under-run protection beams are only for one day, when the permit awarding or renewal happens. After that, I don't think even the authorities know what their purpose is. It will take another century or more to educate our people about the importance of safety and safe driving.
Old 18th January 2014, 10:29   #14817
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoinassi View Post
That sure was a bad crash
Incident happened yesterday near Calicut. Apparently a few school children took the vehicle for a night time adventure and the speeding car hit a parked lorry
Hope everyone is safe.
Critics of EcoSport might put this down as another topple.
Old 18th January 2014, 10:36   #14818
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Unfortunately not. The kid behind the wheel died on spot as reported on this thread only. Others are seriously injured.

And from what I know, the Ecosport did not topple. It was just a T-bone kind of impact. There must be no criticism of Ecosport since it is not a sedan or even a hatchback. The dimensions are more like SUV and must be handled & driven like one. They simply, inherently cannot handle as good as a sedan.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2014, 11:04   #14819
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all, Relating about my accident.
Glad that you survived such an horrific incident. Wish you speedy recovery!

Also Kudos to the doctors who were able to save you!

I have similar questions,
what speed were you doing?
Was it day or night?
What kind of helmet were you wearing? Full face or half face? Don't say you weren't wearing any helmet !

Impact of the accident is too much!
Old 18th January 2014, 11:34   #14820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Dude, now that you've recovered, i'll still wish you more of recovery. I can make out the kind of injuries you've had suffered. Glad to know that you had no head injury. I just wanted to know, was it night time when you had hit the truck? And what would've been your speed at that time?
As far as legalities are concerned, we have pretty strange laws.
It was around 3pm and my speed could be any where between 50 - 60kmph. My friend who was sitting behind said that i saw the truck from a short distance because the truck suddenly appeared, and i even applied brake, but the front disc got locked and i skid the bike into the truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Sorry to hear about your accident. Were you wearing a helmet during this accident? If so which brand? I thought a good helmet should prevent these type of injuries. Was the glass that struck your eyes from the visor?
I was wearing a vega helmet and the glass was from my sunglasses.

Last edited by moralfibre : 18th January 2014 at 15:13. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use EDIT/MULTI-QUOTE within 30 minutes of posting.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks