Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2014, 20:57   #14836
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Saw today at Vasant vihar, looks like the guy missed the turn !!!
Attachment 1192331
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Took some time for me to understand what was wrong with the pic!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Me too. Very subtle!
Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Same here. Even at first instance i too missed it.
LOL... and to think I passed that stretch shortly before/after you, v&v, and the dashcam picked this up...
Old 19th January 2014, 21:14   #14837
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post

LOL... and to think I passed that stretch shortly before/after you, v&v, and the dashcam picked this up...
http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=ewZhPYgnbVk
Cannot view the video. Change the privacy settings.
Old 19th January 2014, 21:31   #14838
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Cannot view the video. Change the privacy settings.
Seems to work fine. It's a 'public' video. Please check again.
Old 19th January 2014, 22:31   #14839
Senior - BHPian

Hyderabad traffic police have started implementing strict lane discipline on the 100+ kms infamous Outer Ring Road from today. Ever since the ORR was opened for traffic in phases starting from 2008, several accidents have taken place, many of which were fatal. Azharuddin's son also died on the ORR on his Hayabusa a couple of years back.

While the 4+4 lane ORR has a world class look and fantastic signage, most accidents were caused by illegal parking bang in the middle of the road, and also by wayward drivers who drive their cars in zig-zag fashion, with scant regard for safety. This apart, heavy vehicles were moving slowly on the fastest lane, some cars were driving on the wrong side to save a few kms of detour, etc.

Finally, Cyberabad cops have acquired several interceptors to put an end to such indiscipline. Perhaps this is the first time in India that fines are going to be imposed for driving not only above speed limit, but also below it. In short, both leftmost lanes have a speed limit of 40 (minimum) and 80 (maximum). The other two fast lanes have 80 (minimum) and 120 (maximum)

Details are in link below:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/29027850.cms

One of the best rules is that heavy vehicles must use only the leftmost lanes.

IMO, this is laudable effort.
vnabhi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th January 2014, 22:42   #14840
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Hyderabad traffic police have started implementing strict lane discipline on the 100+ kms infamous Outer Ring Road from today. Finally, Cyberabad cops have acquired several interceptors to put an end to such indiscipline. Perhaps this is the first time in India that fines are going to be imposed for driving not only above speed limit, but also below it.
Mate hi, A nice step forward by traffic police. I am a firm believer of lane driving. Hence, just like Hyderabad I wish Delhi traffic police also take a step like this in order to curb the speeding issues, zig-zag driving and unnecessary frequently lane changing issue.

Thanks

AD
ad3952n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2014, 22:54   #14841
BHPian

Quote:
LOL... and to think I passed that stretch shortly before/after you, v&v, and the dashcam picked this up... http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=ewZhPYgnbVk
Oops. Did you drive on the wrong side of the road to get a better look or you had other plans? The guy flashing his headlights seems to have his heart in his mouth.
Old 19th January 2014, 23:23   #14842
Senior - BHPian

^^^ The beginning of the video seems to indicate that the left lane is blocked due to the accident. So possibly motorists including SS might have been asked to use the right lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious
if the kids are restricted to enter parents' room during the odd hours, they could have NEVER got the keys. I don't find a reason why this is difficult to implement; if your kids don't listen to you, keep the door locked in the night. It's as simple as it can get.
I see your intention, but I doubt it is as simple as that. Especially with kids getting better with every generation. Back in the mid-80s, inspite of strict instruction from my parents & fear of a good-beating from my Dad, I still managed to occasionally get the car keys, open the noisy garage-door without attracting attention and push the car out some 50ms away before starting it and going for a fun-ride with my friends. Ofcourse nothing happened, but that was just partly my good luck and partly due to me being extra careful and within limits since I knew that I would be skinned if they came know about this and especially if I was involved in any accident. Today's kids would be even more ingenious and I just hope we can catch up with them.

Another thing is that with the busy lives we lead, I doubt it is possible for parents to look into all such aspects, even if they want to. And this is just one of the things that parents have to look out for in this era (others being studies, friendships, net-usage, substance-abuse etc). Not absolving parents, but just putting things in perspective.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 19th January 2014 at 23:41.
supremeBaleno is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th January 2014, 23:24   #14843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
LOL... and to think I passed that stretch shortly before/after you, v&v, and the dashcam picked this up... http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=ewZhPYgnbVk
You are driving on the wrong lane !
Old 19th January 2014, 23:56   #14844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
^^^ The beginning of the video seems to indicate that the left lane is blocked due to the accident. So possibly motorists including SS might have been asked to use the right lane.
Yes. But I would be prudent to wait for all the vehicles (as far as I could see till the far end of the road) from the opposite to pass by in their rightful lane before I would venture in the wrong lane to pass.
Old 20th January 2014, 11:01   #14845
Senior - BHPian

Rajesh Travels Volvo bus coming from Tirupathi met with an accident near MVJ Medical college. The bus ran onto a ditch & fell on its side, with the door side on the ground. 4 dead & rest of passengers, most them injured, had hard time getting out from the driver's small door.

Source: http://news.oneindia.in/bangalore/bu...d-1379617.html

Last edited by msdivy : 20th January 2014 at 11:04.
msdivy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2014, 11:43   #14846
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Rajesh Travels Volvo bus coming from Tirupathi met with an accident near MVJ Medical college. The bus ran onto a ditch & fell on its side, with the door side on the ground. 4 dead & rest of passengers, most them injured, had hard time getting out from the driver's small door.

Source: http://news.oneindia.in/bangalore/bu...d-1379617.html
I thought the law mandated Emergency exits for these buses. If the bus didn't have a working emergency exit window, the owner of the bus should be tried for negligence which could have resulted in the death of several people. I assume it was pure luck that the bus didn't catch fire which is why people got the time to escape through the driver's door.
Old 20th January 2014, 12:11   #14847
Senior - BHPian

How difficult is it to have more air tight windows on these AC buses? Why are still vacillating on having emergency exits?
Old 20th January 2014, 13:03   #14848
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
Oops. Did you drive on the wrong side of the road to get a better look or you had other plans? The guy flashing his headlights seems to have his heart in his mouth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
You are driving on the wrong lane !
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Yes. But I would be prudent to wait for all the vehicles (as far as I could see till the far end of the road) from the opposite to pass by in their rightful lane before I would venture in the wrong lane to pass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Yes, SS-T, how could you do that ?
SS-T, what can I say but to ask you, why but oh why could you not wait..
You folks weren't bothered about a school bus of an international school climbing a divider, but would comment about a rare, unavoidable instance of my driving the European / American way? Look at the video carefully, and you'll see supremeBaleno is correct in his assessment of the situation. You may have missed the fact that my headlamps and hazard lights were on at the time.

Khoj, I'll tell you the answers to your 'how' and 'why' questions personally when we meet - I hope you'll turn up here next Sunday!
Old 20th January 2014, 14:30   #14849
Senior - BHPian

We can't do much about an accident that's already happened ! This accident had already been reported in an earlier post.

We will be definitely worried about someone who is driving on the wrong side of the road into oncoming traffic. If you feel otherwise and believe this was the safest thing to do , please ignore our comments. Nothing more left to discuss
Old 20th January 2014, 15:34   #14850
BHPian

Quote:
You folks weren't bothered about a school bus of an international school climbing a divider, but would comment about a rare, unavoidable instance of my driving the European / American way? Look at the video carefully, and you'll see supremeBaleno is correct in his assessment of the situation. You may have missed the fact that my headlamps and hazard lights were on at the time.
SS bro. sorry if my comments hurt. I guessed the same as the white car had blocked the road and I further think that the white car could have been trying to overtake from the left of the bus, made contact with the left corner of the bus catching the bus driver unaware and in the melee, the driver could have lost control and climbed over the divider. Otherwise there is no reason for the car to stop dead blocking the whole road. and there is a guy speaking over phone in the middle of the road ( probably the car owner). so all the indications are that the road was blocked. Our only thoughts were with you and your safety when the comment was made.

next is of all the 3 supposedly drivers in that scenario ( white car driver, bus driver and you) you are the only one probably reading this thread and hence commenting on the bus or white car ( as I have done above) would be rather a futile exercise and instead we all holier than thou preachers trained our guns on thee.

I agree that under similar circumstance, I would have done the same that you did.
ashkamath is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks