Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2014, 16:03   #14971
Senior - BHPian

Re: Crashed Honda City on NICE road, Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Here are few accident clips taken from Bangalore-Salem MAIN ROAD,THOPPUR. This is one of the dangerous intersection on this route.
It is a mystery why none of the folks planning to turn right didn't take rightmost lane, which is exclusively reserved for those turning right.
Old 6th February 2014, 18:43   #14972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
It is a mystery why none of the folks planning to turn right didn't take rightmost lane, which is exclusively reserved for those turning right.
Most of these crashes could have been avoided if the drivers on the fast lane had slowed down when approaching this intersection on a curve . Same with the drivers entering the highway . A mild tab on the brake pedal and some common sense could have avoided all these crashes
speedsatya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2014, 08:24   #14973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Most of these crashes could have been avoided if the drivers on the fast lane had slowed down when approaching this intersection on a curve . Same with the drivers entering the highway . A mild tab on the brake pedal and some common sense could have avoided all these crashes
The single important cause for all those right turn accidents was that none of the vehicles that came for the turn stopped and looked and waited for the right gap in the opposing traffic.

Quite simply nobody and I repeat nobody in this country (except me of course :-) ) knows how to take a right turn.

This is but another example of how lax our driver training and licensing is. I hold the licencing authorities to be the prime responsible entity for all these deaths on Indian roads.
Old 7th February 2014, 09:42   #14974
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Yesterday one of my office colleagues informed me that his cousin & five other family members met with a fatal accident on NH42 (near Cuttack), wherein their Ertiga was involved in a head-on collision with a truck laden with coal (perhaps taking the coal to Vedanta factory). It seems the Ertiga's overtaking maneuver went wrong & 6 lives had to pay the price. I tried searching Google & TOI, but could not get any details about this accident. Does anyone has more details about this accident? Please share it here.
Old 7th February 2014, 10:06   #14975
BHPian

Came across two accidents in Chennai yesterday.

First one is in ECR (at Kanathur bus stop, after the toll). A Scorpio (or sumo) is topped and i can see a Indica with front damage. It was a crowded place and heavy traffic jam is created. Couldn't see the details clearly and couldn't take photo also. It is a crowded place with two lane road, not a place for speed driving which can result in toppling of the car. There were two ambulance arrived at the scene, but don't have details of what kind of damage to anyone.

The other one is in OMR after kelambakkam towards Mahabalipuram. A red Nano was hit by a BMW from the back and then a SX4 hit the BMW from back. Three girls in the Nano and one guy inSX4 (students from a near by medical college / hospital). Don't know the details about BMW driver. No one hurt in the accident. Both air bags of SX4 opened.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-a1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-a2.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-a3.jpg  

r_devakumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2014, 10:39   #14976
BHPian

This happened 2 weeks back in my hometown Sagar, Shimoga (Dist), Karnataka. The couple, who owns a famous medical shop in the heart of the town and known to many people, were travelling in the newly bought 15 days old Punto. He died on the spot, while the lady is still in critical condition. Onlookers told, car got stalled right in the middle of the railway track. Probably he could not start the car in time (its a confusion for any new punto owner). Not sure why he tried to cross, since he knew there is a train coming at that time. Car was dragged for some 300 mtrs.
May his soul R.I.P. Also we pray for speedy recovery of his wife.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20140203wa0000.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20140203wa0001.jpg  

vinya_jag is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2014, 10:46   #14977
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinya_jag View Post
This happened 2 weeks back in my hometown Sagar, Shimoga
Is this on the Shimoga - Sagar railway line? I've been on this stretch and though the line serves only around 4 trains a day, there are a number of unmanned crossings and trains do belt on this stretch.
Old 7th February 2014, 10:55   #14978
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Is this on the Shimoga - Sagar railway line?
It is the same line, but not on the Highway. Much inside the town - a bypass road connecting Soraba Road to BH road. Fate must have bought him here, since his usual route was the one which had railway gate, but this guy was in hurry so he choose this path in an "optimistic move".
Old 7th February 2014, 11:24   #14979
Senior - BHPian

That's a bad accident, may his soul RIP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinya_jag View Post
Onlookers told, car got stalled right in the middle of the railway track. Probably he could not start the car in time (its a confusion for any new punto owner).
All FIAT Cars are equipped with double crank prevention system. If you stall the car, you need to turn off the ignition and then try starting again. This can be really confusing for people not used to FIAT cars.
Who knew a safety feature would be a cause for disaster.
speedmiester is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th February 2014, 11:41   #14980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Most of these crashes could have been avoided if the drivers on the fast lane had slowed down when approaching this intersection on a curve .
Precisely. For whatever reason, they didn't want to slow down. Hence they took the turn from the wrong lane. If they had been in the right-most lane, they had to slow down & probably spotted the on-coming traffic.

Imagine, 90% of our roads lack proper infrastructure like lane markings, sign boards, speed limits, deviations. This video is the case where infrastructure is in place & people not making use of it.
Old 7th February 2014, 11:44   #14981
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
All FIAT Cars are equipped with double crank prevention system. If you stall the car, you need to turn off the ignition and then try starting again. This can be really confusing for people not used to FIAT cars.
Who knew a safety feature would be a cause for disaster.
My Ford Fiesta does the same too, very confusing to a someone who wasn't explained of this feature, like you have said.
But why was there no level crossing there? And what ever happened to the sense of the driver driving with his wife? Why not wait for about 60 seconds until the train was gone?

Anyway, may his soul rest in peace and may his wife get well soon.
Old 7th February 2014, 11:50   #14982
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
All FIAT Cars are equipped with double crank prevention system.
This feature has caught me off guard even on Ford cars.
This is a tricky situation to be in. Few think that the best thing to do in this situation is to get out of the car.
Old 7th February 2014, 11:57   #14983
BHPian

I guess he didn't had time to get out or got panicked. I have attached map, marking the spot. It was quite straight, any one could have seen the train coming.

I feel seat belt could have saved both, since his main injury was to the skull (on the temple) which hit a pole it seems. They might have got tossed around. On the same spot, last year 1 Innova guy got stuck, but he escaped since he got stuck in the car itself with the help of seat belt.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2.jpg  

Last edited by vinya_jag : 7th February 2014 at 12:00. Reason: Added image
vinya_jag is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2014, 12:34   #14984
Distinguished - BHPian

So we have reached 1000 pages on this thread

1000 pages of idiocy
1000 pages of crushed metal
1000 pages of RIPs
and more importantly, 1000 pages of lessons

Anyways, yesterday evening there was an accident on Bangalore Electronic city BETL
Attached below is an illustration of the accident, I was under the flyover and couldn't take pictures.
Looke like it happened some 30 mins prior to the time at which I passed there.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-truck.jpg
A truck coming from Silkboard had hit the sidewall of the elevated road.
The truck neither took a right nor went straight. he hit the centre of the ramp.
The driver either couldn't decide which way to go or must have been drunk.
The truck was badly damaged and debris had fallen to the AH43 at ground level
The flyover didn't suffer any major damage IMO

There's a zebra crossing just under this area. Hopefully nobody was injured.
There was a jam for quite some time. Does anyone have more details or pictures on this?
hemanth.anand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th February 2014, 12:37   #14985
Senior - BHPian

The Punto accident is pretty disturbing. 15 day old car and stalled? What could be the reason?

1) Double Crank Prevention as some already outlined.
2) Is he a new driver? Couldnt do half clutching properly if it was an uneven crossing?

First and foremost, was this a manned crossing or unmanned? Lack of time to start teh car and get out of path/abandon car and get out, makes me feel it was unmanned. In manned crossings, I can presume the driver has just enough time to escape.

Like vinya_jag says, if he truely did not wear seat belt, cant ask more of a car to save him. With the alloys on the car, I can also assume its a top variant with Airbags. No seatbelts and not giving chance to Airbags, paid the price. For me the cabin still looks reasonably in tact. Would be curious to see if any one has more pics.

After all, this guy wasnt as lucky as the green Palio accident under similar circumstances in Bangalore some decade ago.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...lio-palio.html

Last edited by funkykar : 7th February 2014 at 12:53.
funkykar is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks