Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2014, 01:40   #15091
BHPian

Saw a Renault scala being towed on ORR near k r puram railway station at 10-00 pm. The front left bonnet area was badly damaged. Any info on this accident?
Old 9th March 2014, 21:17   #15092
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Couldn't help but comment. A girl walking in the left most lane, busy waving out to her friend who was in a bus on the opposite side, bumped into my parked car head on and almost hit her face onto my bonnet. All this when I was sitting in my car waiting for the signal to turn green. After her crash, she looked at me- embarrassed, she smiled and gestured an apology before walking away, leaving me amused at the entire incident.
What about this. People listening to music cross railway tracks unaware of the honking by the loco pilot!!!!. Call it stupidity or carelessness toward life. Or do they expect the loco pilot to bring the train to a grinding halt ?. Is this not suicide???
Old 9th March 2014, 22:46   #15093
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
What about this. People listening to music cross railway tracks unaware of the honking by the loco pilot!!!!. Call it stupidity or carelessness toward life. Or do they expect the loco pilot to bring the train to a grinding halt ?. Is this not suicide???
This is exactly what happened in an incident last year.

Bihar train accident: 37 people, mostly pilgrims, killed; crowd assaults train driver

End result:
Quote:
The incident at 8:40 am triggered mayhem at the Dhamara Ghat Station, as a violent mob reportedly assaulted the train driver, set trains on fire, vandalized the station and held railway staff hostage.
VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED:

Last edited by Rehaan : 11th March 2014 at 12:22. Reason: Removing youtube thumbnail (by using the youtu.be URL instead)
500ContyCruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2014, 10:32   #15094
Senior - BHPian

Witnessed a huge crash involving a white Swift Dzire and some Black/Blue/Grey car on BRT between Chirag Delhi and Siri Fort. It was raining heavily and was driving cautiously. Couldn't snap a pic since I was driving.

Cheers!
Old 10th March 2014, 19:52   #15095
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
This is exactly what happened in an incident last ]

Mods: anyways we can remove thumbnail of YouTube video? It could be disturbing for many.
Shows how idiotic people are. Nothing less than that. As it is widely known, its the lack of common sense thats the cause of majority of the accidents in our country, be it rail or road. Firstly, these morons dont understand why they shouldn't be on the track. Next, they expect trains approaching them to stop as soon as the LP spots people on the track. Being a curve, not even a bus can stop with a short notice if its doing three digit speeds forget a train. To top it all, they ransack the place and assault the LP not even knowing what the mistake was

Sorry to be harsh, but ideally they shouldnt compensate victims for such incidents. Thats how people will get a picture of what the mistake is. But the reality is that due to this accident, the speed in the section will be reduced to avoid such incidents in the future.
Old 11th March 2014, 15:28   #15096
BHPian

Hi guys, this is something that happened to us while returning back from Goa going towards Mumbai. This happened near Mapusa. Car involved was Ford Figo Titanium Petrol. December, 2011.

So we were headed back home after a good vacation and cruising on the Mumbai-Goa highway (NH17). As soon as you cross Mapusa town, the highway starts becoming deserted and just about 15 mins ahead, there are a couple of shops/general stores and they seem to appear out of nowhere.

We were going at speeds of 70-80 behind a lorry and in an overtaking stance just waiting for an oncoming vehicle to pass to make our move. Suddenly, the lorry brakes really hard for no apparent reason (as I thought at first), in the middle of the highway. I saw the lorry brake hard and immediately tried to respond to it in my friend's Figo. I braked equally hard, stepped off the clutch to increase braking response. Did not try to swerve away since I doubted the vehicle might respond erratically and go out of control. With no space to make a maneuver, the Figo rear-ended the lorry. I couldn't understand why did the lorry driver stop so I went and started shouting at him when he calmed me down and said there was a Safari in front of him that braked hard upon seeing the general stores suddenly.

Might have wanted to buy some chips for the road. But anyways, all in all, it was commonly agreed that it was the Safari's mistake to make such a move on a national highway. He fled the scene as soon as he realized something had happened due to his stupid mistake.

No one injured at all.

Word of advice: Keep your speeds in check at this section as I was told by the shopkeeper and some locals that this particular spot is highly accident prone for the same reason and you are not the first or last to experience it.

Pics of the Figo follow...

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image1.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image2.jpg
beingyukeit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2014, 16:57   #15097
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingyukeit View Post
Car involved was Ford Figo Titanium Petrol. December, 2011........No one injured at all.
Glad to know that no one was hurt buddy sorry about the car though !!
. But ever rear-driving a lorry/truck DO KEEP A SOLID SAFE DISTANCE and i mean a solid distance coz even if you have the brakes and speed of a Bugatti , but you still wont have the chassis matching those metal mayhems on the highway.

Quote:
there was a Safari in front of him that braked hard upon seeing the general stores suddenly. Might have wanted to buy some chips for the road.
Poor guy did he atleast get the chips he stopped for ?? Lucky for him he didnt get rear-ended by the truck
Pheonix is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2014, 17:02   #15098
Senior - BHPian

If you had followed the 2 second rule, this would not have occurred. Moral of the story - even while overtaking, maintain safe distance.

Also rear ending someone is your mistake. Please do not put the blame on the Safari driver.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 11th March 2014 at 17:04.
reignofchaos is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2014, 17:03   #15099
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

No one injured at all.

Word of advice: Keep your speeds in check at this section as I was told by the shopkeeper and some locals that this particular spot is highly accident prone for the same reason and you are not the first or last to experience it.

Pics of the Figo follow...

Attachment 1217994

Attachment 1217995
Don't know the speed of the impact but I see no airbags deployed which means crumple zone is not damaged as well. Taken quite well by the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
Poor guy did he atleast get the chips he stopped for ?? Lucky for him he didnt get rear-ended by the truck
I hope you are kidding. For such nonsensical braking the Safari guy should be behind bars.
Old 11th March 2014, 17:05   #15100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We were going at speeds of 70-80 behind a lorry and in an overtaking stance
What do you call an overtaking stance? Sitting on the rear end of the vehicle in front?

If you cannot stop when the vehicle in front of breaks, for any for for no reason, you are too close. You do not need to sit on top of a vehicle to be ready to overtake.

Another aspect to this is a notice I used to see on the back of UK trucks: If you cannot see my wing mirrors, I cannot see you. Maybe the truck driver didn't use his OVRM, but maybe he did, and just didn't know you were there.

No, it was not the truck driver's fault. No it was not the Safari driver's fault. Driving into the back of the vehicle in front, internationally, is our fault.

Welcome to Team-BHP (first post) Please do not think me rude: it is just friendly but vital advice! Sorry about your car.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2014, 17:09   #15101
Senior - BHPian

I thought it is appropriate to share this FB link here:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
Guna is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2014, 17:32   #15102
BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys, this is something that happened to us while returning back from Goa going towards Mumbai. This happened near Mapusa. Car involved was Ford Figo Titanium Petrol. December, 2011.
I feel sorry for you accident. But glad to see the figo has taken the hit really well. There is zero cabin intrusion! Also looking at the windshield,I think you guys were belted up
We need to keep safe braking distance to avoid rear ending (this I keep telling myself in all long trips). Did you by any chance take down the number of the safari ?
Old 11th March 2014, 18:37   #15103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
This is exactly what happened in an incident last year.

Bihar train accident: 37 people, mostly pilgrims, killed; crowd assaults train driver

End result:

VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED:
http://Youtu.be/watch?v=3d6klpWG2BE
That link don't work no more.
Old 11th March 2014, 18:41   #15104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
What do you call an overtaking stance? Sitting on the rear end of the vehicle in front?

If you cannot stop when the vehicle in front of breaks, for any for for no reason, you are too close. You do not need to sit on top of a vehicle to be ready to overtake.
Nitpicking but isn't that "brakes"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I thought it is appropriate to share this FB link here:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
The video doesn't open up - loads up but blank. Is there a Youtube link?
naveenroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2014, 18:57   #15105
Senior - BHPian

Exactly same thing happened few months back in Margao here. A teenage schoolgirl decided to walk to school after the car which brought her was waiting at the railway crossing. She told the car driver to go back home. She was enjoying the music on her mobile with earphones on. To her bad luck, she couldn't make it despite numerous people warning her and train honking loudly. Believe me, since reading that news, I decided to be very very careful with the bikers using earphones. Though I used to get irritated easily with them and their driving antics, now I show patience as its no use honking to them. If any mishap occurs, we would be feeling guilty even though its not our fault.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
What about this. People listening to music cross railway tracks unaware of the honking by the loco pilot!

Last edited by carwatcher : 11th March 2014 at 19:00.

Most Viewed