Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2014, 13:56   #15331
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
My colleague also passed by the same accident, saw the pictures he took. Looked to me as Micra / Pulse. Sadly six people lost their lives :( . May their soul RIP.

It was a Wagon R.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-06th_car_1878940f.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-maduranthakambypass.jpg

Pics source: Hindu/New Indian Express
Old 6th May 2014, 14:15   #15332
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
OMG!! I could not believe the condition of the truck. The 407 looks equally bashed up as well ...
Whilst trucks may, necessarily, be hefty, the cab is relatively flimsy.
Old 6th May 2014, 14:24   #15333
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahesh Prasad View Post
They both were buckled up and were in the front along with their daughter
As in, the daughter was sitting on the wife's lap? Man that's an unsafe practice! If she is old enough, she has to be seated at the rear and buckled up. If she is a toddler, they must opt for an infant seat and secure them to the rear seat using seat belts or the ISOFIX tethers.

Quote:
Apparently there was fire after the collision according to them and their daughter sustained some minor injuries - I guess it has something to do with the airbags deployment.
Absolutely Mahesh! The airbag inflates pretty quickly and can seriously injure a fully grown adult leave alone a small kid who's bones and muscles are slowly developing. Please advise your friend suitably.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 14:40   #15334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
It was a Wagon R.

That is one ghastly accident! The car seems to have been crushed between two heavy duty trucks! No car would stand a chance in such a terrible mishap.

Any details about the passengers?
Old 6th May 2014, 14:45   #15335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
That is one ghastly accident! The car seems to have been crushed between two heavy duty trucks! No car would stand a chance in such a terrible mishap.

Any details about the passengers?
It was crushed between a bus and a lorry. Lorry braked hard, but due to the rains and wet roads, wheels locked and it skidded to hit the car.

The bus stopped at Madurantagam for some reason. And the car rammed it. After which the lorry hit it.

I saw 4 to 5 buses and a lorry parked after that spot with front and rear damages. But the media reports just the car, bus and a lorry.

6 were there in the car, and all died on the spot.
Old 6th May 2014, 14:51   #15336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
As in, the daughter was sitting on the wife's lap? Man that's an unsafe practice! If she is old enough, she has to be seated at the rear and buckled up. If she is a toddler, they must opt for an infant seat and secure them to the rear seat using seat belts or the ISOFIX tethers.
I guess yes, she was sitting on the lap. I know it's not a safe practice, but I guess the reason maybe because they have another child - an infant and they had secured the child with the infant seats on the rear. Also since there was another occupant, so maybe due to space constraint they had to take that measure. But I'm not sure if this had happened - haven't yet spoken on detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Absolutely Mahesh! The airbag inflates pretty quickly and can seriously injure a fully grown adult leave alone a small kid who's bones and muscles are slowly developing. Please advise your friend suitably.
Surely will do Gannu_1.

Well, another accident this morning @ Nanthoor circle between 2 trucks. One a tipper and another carrying coke cans.

Apparantly both the drivers were seriously injured. More details here:
http://www.daijiworld.com/news/news_...sp?n_id=232991
On a lighter note, many people got away with dozens of Coke cans!!
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-daya_060414_nanthr1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-daya_060414_nanthr2.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-daya_060414_nanthr4.jpg  

Mahesh Prasad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 15:08   #15337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
It was a Wagon R.

Attachment 1237636

Attachment 1237637

This looks like a Thumbs Up can that has been pulled apart. Really scary. We really need to look beyond fuel efficiency!
Old 6th May 2014, 15:21   #15338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
This looks like a Thumbs Up can that has been pulled apart. Really scary. We really need to look beyond fuel efficiency!
It looks horrible. Wagon R is really not supposed to be a highway car. The build quality is flimsy and we have know this all these years. And we Indians still will do anything to justify driving the same on a highway.

My FIL has one and despite it being bought for city purposes, it is often driven on the highway. That I do not let my wife anywhere near it is my choice.

However, I do not think a lot of cars would have much of chance in that kind of an accident.
Feel bad for the occupants. May their soul RIP.
Old 6th May 2014, 15:56   #15339
Senior - BHPian

Here is a picture of that Nantoor junction from Google Maps - Earth view.

It's one crazy junction where the NH 17 (or 66 according to new numbering) meets city roads. As is, NH passes through the city and carries city traffic too.

Then there is a city bus stop just before the junction (on the left side). Policemen just stand and watch the chaos every evening, since no one cares for one or two policemen.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-nantoor.jpg
rohanjf is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 17:08   #15340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Here is a picture of that Nantoor junction from Google Maps - Earth view.

It's one crazy junction where the NH 17 (or 66 according to new numbering) meets city roads. As is, NH passes through the city and carries city traffic too.

Then there is a city bus stop just before the junction (on the left side). Policemen just stand and watch the chaos every evening, since no one cares for one or two policemen.
, It is one chaotic junction. We as locals face a lot of trouble, let alone the plight of other tourists. Especially during mornings and evenings, there are usually a lot of traffic jams - mainly because of people trying to squeeze in even in the tightest spot and trying get through the roundabout. But looking at the above accident, I feel that the Tipper was trying to evade the roundabout and trying to do a hard right on the other side of the median.
Although it is slightly better than what it used to be earlier, before the rerouting. But the only solution to this would be a proper overpass like the one they are executing in Pumpwell junction.

Last edited by Mahesh Prasad : 6th May 2014 at 17:15.
Old 6th May 2014, 18:56   #15341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
The accident was expected at that junction. Even during non-peak hours, the police won't be able to manage the handful of vehicles there. Why can't they just remove that big roundabout and install normal traffic signals? There is one more nasty roundabout further towards Udupi just after the Kadri park. Sometimes situation turns worse at that junction too. I have witnessed many narrow misses there.
Old 6th May 2014, 20:21   #15342
Senior - BHPian

Fire ? I think they mean the burn injury due to the airbags deploying which in itself is a controlled explosion of sorts.

They are very lucky that they were in the Linea which has inertial reel pre tensioner equipped seat belts which would have tightened up and held the mother firmly against the seat back rather than letting her fold up double resulting in her injuring/crushing the child with her body weight. Have seen it happen and it is not a pretty sight.

Indulging once child by letting them ride in laps on the front seat is akin to playing Russian roulette.

Upon reconsideration they were lucky twice over in that the unbelted rear passenger is no less than a loose cannon ball as their body would fly forward with the capacity to severely injure either of the front seat occupants as they knock in to them from behind with all of the momentum that propels them forward.

Quote:
According to them, the 407 rammed head on at high speed while overtaking. Apparently there was fire after the collision according to them and their daughter sustained some minor injuries - I guess it has something to do with the airbags deployment.

Thank god they are safe. Another example how seat belts and airbags save lives.
khoj is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 12:03   #15343
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Upon reconsideration they were lucky twice over in that the unbelted rear passenger is no less than a loose cannon ball as their body would fly forward with the capacity to severely injure either of the front seat occupants as they knock in to them from behind with all of the momentum that propels them forward.
Had seen a video on YouTube, I guess from some European transport safety group showing how an unbuckled rear seat passenger can cause injury to not just him/herself but also to the front seat occupants.
Regarding the Punto accident, does anyone know if the rear seat passenger was seated behind driver, i.e the right side. From the first pic one can notice driver side seat has moved forward considerably compared to passenger side. Just wondering if it is due to impact with the truck or due to rear seat occupant getting hit against the seat.
Old 7th May 2014, 20:23   #15344
LDJ
BHPian

Toddler crushed by Class XII boy at the wheel

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/34750642.cms

"We are yet to get my son's ashes and his killer is already out." - really sad state of affairs only in India!

When will we ever learn?
LDJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 20:47   #15345
Senior - BHPian

Was shared in some other community, no idea how it happened.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20140506wa0035.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20140506wa0036.jpg
DRIV3R is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed