Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2014, 17:25   #15421
BHPian

Live from mumbai, BKC. A cement mixer turtled in the middle of the road. I reached the spot 5minutes after the accident. Nobody is sure how it took place. Attatching some pics of the same:
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1400759536.425848.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1400759615.191163.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1400759628.574317.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1400759642.941345.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1400759658.790986.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1400759685.340972.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 22nd May 2014 at 17:50. Reason: Post edited to organize images.
Rohitj92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 22:12   #15422
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by narsi_6989 View Post
The car in which son of veteran Tamil actor Nasser was travelling crashed head on with a tanker lorry in ECR this morning. Reports say that he was sitting at the rear and is critical. 3 people died out of the 5. Car crushed beyond recognition.

Quotes from The Hindu

Image Source: The Hindu
Attachment 1243225
Few more images.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-221400739980nassarson01.jpg

Last edited by benbsb29 : 23rd May 2014 at 04:14. Reason: Graphic pic of accident removed based on user reports.
Old 22nd May 2014, 22:35   #15423
Senior - BHPian

Gruesome! Only if the rear seat occupants were belted up they would have had a better than 50% chance of having come out without serious injuries.

The way the back side of the driver seat(steel frame wrapped in PU foam+cover) is twisted forward, tells the story of the momentum with which the rear seat occupant must have crashed in to the same. If this occupant were belted up he would have definitely walked out.

I hope these images "scare" at least some one amongst us to belt up/force our co passengers to belt up while in the rear seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Few more images.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 06:56   #15424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohitj92 View Post
Live from mumbai, BKC. A cement mixer turtled in the middle of the road. I reached the spot 5minutes after the accident. Nobody is sure how it took place. Attatching some pics of the same:
Must have been swerving gone wrong.
Look at the bright side, all that concrete spilling out might fill some potholes.
speedmiester is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 12:09   #15425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohitj92 View Post
Fortunately, it did not land on any other vehicle. I dread that whenever i find myself next to one in my car. It can really crush you to death.
Old 23rd May 2014, 12:19   #15426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Few more images.

Attachment 1243322
TOI Chennai edition has a picture of the rear of the car. It is a Polo GT TSi and the report says the occupants were not wearing seatbelts and the airbags did not inflate as well.

Any idea is airbags work only if seatbelts are fastened in VW cars ? I think the Toyota's are like this.
Old 23rd May 2014, 12:38   #15427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Must have been swerving gone wrong.
Look at the bright side, all that concrete spilling out might fill some potholes.
Those things are a menace on the road. I as a routine will sty clear of these guys, JCBs, and the ones driving with a crane fitted! Driving Death on the roads.

What I also wonder is how are allowed to literally roam around during the day time in the cities.
Old 23rd May 2014, 13:30   #15428
BHPian

Quote:
Reports also say the car is Polo.
Yes. It is a polo.

Judging by the alloy wheels, it looks like a GT or a Highline. Don't they have airbags ?

If there was. I don't see it being deployed.
Old 23rd May 2014, 13:40   #15429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
This happened half a km outside my home!! Worst part, my family/friends crossed this path in a few autos (to a local fair) when a movie-climax-type mob ran past them singling out "Only Tipper Lorries" and breaking any glass found on those trucks!!
These Tipper Lorries are real nuisance in Hosur. Once I had a bad experience with one of it. when i was driving from the attebele toll gate towards Hosur, a tipper was trying to overtake me from the left side and he was constantly honking and was trying to push me and everyone to right in the small service road near the TN check post. The bridge was still under construction that time. He was bullying me for atleast 5 mins and i did not have much space to give him way also. At one point he came so close that my left side rear view mirror was scrapping with him. I slightly moved ahead and blocked him, rolled the window down and shouted with some of the worst words in tamil. Then he started backing out.
Old 23rd May 2014, 14:00   #15430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Few more images.
TOI reported today that the car was doing speeds in excess of 120 kmph and the passengers were not wearing their seatbelts because of which the airbags were not deployed. Wont people ever ever learn ?
Old 23rd May 2014, 14:37   #15431
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Any idea is airbags work only if seatbelts are fastened in VW cars ? I think the Toyota's are like this.
Could be. This is what VW says:

Quote:
Airbags combine with the seat belts to reduce the risk of severe head and chest injuries in collisions with a certain severity. (Contd.) However, optimum protection can only be achieved if the occupants are wearing their seat belts properly, as the airbags and the seat belt tensioners together form a finely tuned safety system.
VW - Airbags

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 23rd May 2014 at 14:53.
Old 23rd May 2014, 14:52   #15432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post

What I also wonder is how are allowed to literally roam around during the day time in the cities.

The reason being our city rules allow construction activity only from sunrise to sunset so if these are not allowed on road during day time bid good bye to any construction activity within city limits!

I am in construction field and trust me you would not get a house to stay or road to drive if these are prevented from moving around. Its not the machines at fault or size of the machine its the nut behind the wheel.
tazmaan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 21:09   #15433
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Could be. This is what VW says:

VW - Airbags
I don't think airbag deployment requires passengers to be belted up. What VW is saying is that airbags as a safety equipment can provide the desired protection only when the occupant is properly secured by the seat belt.

It looks like a very bad crash. And if the airbag did not deploy, that surely is a cause for concern. The cabin looks fairly intact. So if the occupants had belted up, surely their lives could have been saved.

So often people ask me "rear passengers too?" when I say all must belt up. Don't know whether they think the rear seat is insulated from crashes. All I tell them is that I am not asking them to belt up for their safety alone. Its for my safety too as a front seat passenger or driver.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 23:45   #15434
BHPian

Quote:
TOI Chennai edition has a picture of the rear of the car. It is a Polo GT TSi and the report says the occupants were not wearing seatbelts and the airbags did not inflate as well.

The airbags are useful only so far as the basic shell of the car remains.

Once that is cracked like in case of a car going under a lorry there is hardly a chance of the airbag providing protection from projectile intrusion.

So I guess that will not change matters in that case.

Regards,
BL
Old 25th May 2014, 06:03   #15435
BHPian

Quote:

One of the deceased was my brother's college-mate, we are all saddened by the loss. Me and my cousin brothers were to head on a road trip this weekend and we postponed it for next week or later, since my brother had to compensate the day off he took on Thursday. I knew these boys were driving a Polo, but learning it was a GT TSI as well, gives me goosebumps since we were to head in the same direction in my GT TSI.

The ToI article has contradicting versions, in eyewitness statements these boys were overtaking three vehicles by going into the oncoming lane. The truck driver's statement says, they were'nt overtaking at all and simply swerved right in front of his truck. East coast road is one of the dangerous toll highway I have ever been, I seriously hope the state govt. fastens the process of widening the roads and building a median.

May those souls rest in peace.
delta5 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed