Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2014, 23:57   #15736
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Ludhiana July 8: Girls in the VW Polo going on Ferozpur Road from canal side took a U-Turn outside Gurdev Hospital after which their car was hit by a Tata 407 coming from the other side. According to the PCR team, the accident occured at around 4:30 AM on tuesday morning. Fortunately no casualties.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-10351972_10152361916286696_2646655159081325576_n.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-10533698_10152361916226696_8706949919812757803_n.jpg  

trinity0114 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 00:40   #15737
BHPian

dont know how it happened .

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc_0210.jpg
Old 9th July 2014, 10:54   #15738
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity0114 View Post
Ludhiana July 8: Girls in the VW Polo going on Ferozpur Road from canal side took a U-Turn outside Gurdev Hospital after which their car was hit by a Tata 407 coming from the other side. According to the PCR team, the accident occured at around 4:30 AM on tuesday morning. Fortunately no casualties.
Ouch! Was the driver, the same girl shown in the latest Polo Advertisement

On a serious note, looking at the time, I hope they were not driving under the influence of alchohol after a late night party
hemanth.anand is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 20:29   #15739
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw this on Facebook:

A Renault Scala top variant in front of Trichy Cantonment Police Station. As per reports, the accident happened yesterday on the Trichy-Madurai Highway. 5 people died on the spot.

The unbelievable thing in this accident is that it was hit by a Indica and the Indica happened to escape with minimum damages. The fault is with the driver of the Scala who lost control in the four-lane track, hit the divider, and entered the wrong lane, where an Indica heading towards Trichy hit the Scala badly.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-10505183_675240472559603_8764076647218215941_o.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-10348187_675240505892933_8309528139226958816_n.jpg

So much for French build quality offered in India. R.I.P. to the 5 souls who lost their lives.

The Indica involved:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-10438918_675289682554682_8393031497984757152_n.jpg

Youtube video:

Pics Courtesy - Raju Rajamohan @ Facebook

Last edited by RavenAvi : 10th July 2014 at 20:31.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 21:23   #15740
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
So much for French build quality offered in India. R.I.P. to the 5 souls who lost their lives.
May their souls RIP

If they had worn their seat belt, at least a couple of them would have survived.

BTW - The only thing French on that car is the badge and the engine. The rest is all Nissan
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 22:08   #15741
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

A smashed-up car does not mean bad build quality. Why the assumption that it does?

Cars are much better able to take front and rear collisions, and less able to take at-an-angle and side-on collisions. This, if I remember correctly, is partly because of the kind of testing that they get put through.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 00:44   #15742
BHPian

I would have expected the driver to survive judging by the condition of the driver seat area
Old 11th July 2014, 01:51   #15743
BHPian

Quote:
So much for French build quality offered in India. ]
Going by the extent and area where the damage is to the Scala, I would say it's held up quite well. It's a severe side impact at high speed and even the Indica is almost totalled!! Can't really blame the build quality here as there's limited protection for side impacts on almost all cars because of the way cars are built! Can't blame anyone here!!
Hard to imagine that all 4 occupants of the Scala lost their lives as the basic passenger compartment doesn't seem to be crumbled. Maybe there's something more to this incident that we're missing!! RIP.
Old 11th July 2014, 03:59   #15744
BHPian

Quote:
Saw this on Facebook:

A Renault Scala top variant in front of Trichy Cantonment Police Station. As per reports, the accident happened yesterday on the Trichy-Madurai Highway. 5 people died on the spot.
Very sad to see the car in such a bad state. Even the airbags could not save a single soul.

Is it that the driver lost control or the tyre burst?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
May their souls RIP

If they had worn their seat belt, at least a couple of them would have survived.
+ 1 to the above. Seat belts would have saved at least a couple of them.
JoseVijay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 10:01   #15745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantbhatia84 View Post
Going by the extent and area where the damage is to the Scala, I would say it's held up quite well. It's a severe side impact at high speed and even the Indica is almost totalled!! Can't really blame the build quality here as there's limited protection for side impacts on almost all cars because of the way cars are built! Can't blame anyone here!!
Hard to imagine that all 4 occupants of the Scala lost their lives as the basic passenger compartment doesn't seem to be crumbled. Maybe there's something more to this incident that we're missing!! RIP.
This is where cars like the Verna, Ecosport and the Polo Tsi shine.
With 6 airbags;indeed a segment breaking feature in that ~10L category.
BUXX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 13:36   #15746
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
I'd be interested to know what a Verna would look like after a similar hit the Renault took.

VW GT series come with a pair of airbags. The only small car I know of with more than a pair of airbags is the Hyundai i20 and Ecosport.

I find it hard to believe the Indica caused most of the damage we see. Looks more like the result of what the car hit after th Indica.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 16:33   #15747

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
Its not just air bags but cars first need to have structural integrity to withstand a side impact. As Thad put it right, most of the cars are designed to take front impacts well and to a major extent rear impacts. When it comes to side impacts, many highly rated and even expensive cars dont fare well as there is very little crumple zone and structural element to protect the passenger shell as compared to the front and rear.

In this case, the indica took the impact at its strongest point and the sunny took it at its weakest and the result is evident.

Curtain airbags prevent the occupants from crashing against the collapsing side walls in the case of a side impact but if the shell by itself is not strong to take up side impacts, they would offer very little protection.
Arvind_555 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 16:45   #15748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Cars are much better able to take front and rear collisions, and less able to take at-an-angle and side-on collisions. This, if I remember correctly, is partly because of the kind of testing that they get put through.
Cars DO go through T-bone and side on collisions also. I would be interested to see Indian Scala/Sunny crash test ratings if they have ever gone through any kind of crash testing.

I have always considered them as hollow and built to cost cars. Indica model involved here wasn't even designed considering crash tests neither that version has any kind of effective crumple zones, still looks in much better state.

I agree that the Scala taken few other hits also before Indica collided into it but still the state of the side explains how much greater build quality they have. And no, this car isn't European by any mean.

RIP departed souls.
tbppjpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 16:51   #15749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
May their souls RIP

BTW - The only thing French on that car is the badge and the engine. The rest is all Nissan
How do you say they weren't wearing seatbelts? Please correct me if i missed any thing?

The crash seems so strong that I doubt even a seatbelt could've saved them as the impact is from the sides and the chances of you breaking ribs and puncturing vital organs are high!!!
adarsh.n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 18:34   #15750
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I'd be interested to know what a Verna would look like after a similar hit the Renault took.
It may not look too different. However, in a Verna SX(O) with 6 airbags, even the occupants sitting on the left side of the car (where the damage is the greatest) would have had a slightly better chance of survival due to the side and curtain airbags, but only if they were wearing their seat-belts in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I find it hard to believe the Indica caused most of the damage we see. Looks more like the result of what the car hit after the Indica.
+1. Even if the damage on the left side was caused by the collision with the Indica, it looks like the car had already suffered enough damage before (and/or maybe after) that. I think it must have hit the divider at a high speed, then rolled over before coming on to the path of the Indica, whose driver must have had no time to react.

May the souls of those unfortunate occupants rest in peace!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Cars DO go through T-bone and side on collisions also.
Yes, but not all NCAPs have side impact tests as a part of the procedure. Euro-NCAP does have side impact and the more severe pole impact tests, but not Latin-NCAP, for instance. And the few Indian cars that were crash tested by Global-NCAP were tested according to Latin-NCAP standards.

Quote:
I would be interested to see Indian Scala/Sunny crash test ratings if they have ever gone through any kind of crash testing.

I have always considered them as hollow and built to cost cars.
It's not fair to dismiss a car as unsafe, simply based on our own perceptions. The Sunny (by whatever name it is known in different markets) performed quite well (4* overall) in NCAP tests in the USA, Japan, ASEAN and China.

The 2012 Nissan Versa (US version of the Sunny/Scala) was in fact rated as one of the top safety picks by the IIHS (which sets very stringent safety standards):

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...?__federated=1

Of course, the Indian version would not get the same rating (as it does not even have side and curtain airbags). Only the facelifted Sunny (which has just been released) has side (but not curtain) airbags and that too, only on the XV P (Safety) variant.

Quote:
Indica model involved here wasn't even designed considering crash tests neither that version has any kind of effective crumple zones, still looks in much better state.
The "looks" of a car after a crash has a somewhat low correlation to how well it had protected its occupants, especially in a crash like this. A vehicle like the Hindustan Ambassador with a "strong build" would look rather intact after a medium-high speed collision. Sadly, the occupants would have very little chance of surviving the crash.

If the roles had been reversed i.e. if the Indica had been in the place of the Scala (and vice-versa), the unfortunate occupants would have probably had even less chance of survival than they had in the Scala.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh.n View Post
How do you say they weren't wearing seatbelts? Please correct me if I missed any thing?

The crash seems so strong that I doubt even a seatbelt could've saved them as the impact is from the sides and the chances of you breaking ribs and puncturing vital organs are high!!!
We won't know for sure whether any of the passengers were belted in place or not. Unless someone who was there at the scene can confirm it.

It's just that the right side of the car (driver's side) hasn't suffered that much damage. The driver and the passenger sitting right behind him/her would have had a small chance of surviving the crash (with injuries) if they had been wearing seat-belts.

Still, one cannot be sure of this, unless we have eye-witness confirmation.

Last edited by RSR : 11th July 2014 at 18:51.
RSR is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed