Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2014, 19:37   #15751
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_antony View Post
So just the green in the signal never going to save you.
Agree. IIRC, Green is "Proceed if it is safe to do so" and not pedal to metal!

Dont know if it applies in Indian context though!
Old 11th July 2014, 20:15   #15752
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post

We won't know for sure whether any of the passengers were belted in place or not. Unless someone who was there at the scene can confirm it.

It's just that the right side of the car (driver's side) hasn't suffered that much damage. The driver and the passenger sitting right behind him/her would have had a small chance of surviving the crash (with injuries) if they had been wearing seat-belts.

Still, one cannot be sure of this, unless we have eye-witness confirmation.
Thanks for answering that for me!! Exactly what I would have replied, in addition, the seat belts would have stretched and be hanging around. It looks as if there were never used. I could be wrong on that
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th July 2014, 09:52   #15753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
The "looks" of a car after a crash has a somewhat low correlation to how well it had protected its occupants, especially in a crash like this. A vehicle like the Hindustan Ambassador with a "strong build" would look rather intact after a medium-high speed collision. Sadly, the occupants would have very little chance of surviving the crash.

If the roles had been reversed i.e. if the Indica had been in the place of the Scala (and vice-versa), the unfortunate occupants would have probably had even less chance of survival than they had in the Scala.
I agree with you on most part and I would accept that there was time when I used to think cars like Ambassador or Bolero are strongest but I don't believe it today. They have lot of metal but they are not safe, rather they are unsafest cars. They lack the intelligent crumple zone, thus the cabin turns out weakest part of them.

About seeing the smashed up image of Sunny/scala, I was talking about structure rigidity. Not talking about airbags, they can't do anything if structure itself is poor. About the Indica, A pillars and cabin looking in much better condition. Usually old Indica's loose out their A pillars and impact transfers into the cabin in accidents. Looking at the fate of the Scala here, Indica should have also suffered bit of damage on A pillars, beams etc. But it didn't happen, it means the impact force wasn't that much how its looking after seeing the Scala.
Old 12th July 2014, 10:59   #15754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Saw this on Facebook:

A Renault Scala top variant in front of Trichy Cantonment Police Station. As per reports, the accident happened yesterday on the Trichy-Madurai Highway. 5 people died on the spot.
RIP to poor souls. The Scala had actually hit the median of the four lane Road and tossed up in the air before falling on the opposite lane where the Indica hit the Scala. Thus, the impact was more on account of hitting the median and of toss up.
Gokrish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2014, 13:01   #15755
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
Very sad to see the car in such a bad state. Even the airbags could not save a single soul.

Is it that the driver lost control or the tyre burst?
Tyre burst could be the reason for loss of control though it can't be said with certainty. If you look at the pictures the front left tyre is flat. Front wheel tyre burst are more dangerous I feel as they can throw the car off its course and the driver also will not be able steer the car properly. Tyres are so important, yet people are so careless about it.

With the kind of roads that we have these days and with modern cars that can do tripple digit speeds all day without a sweat, tyres are under tremendous pressure as it is. Then if the tyre is running low on pressure or has some physical damage, you can imagine the risk.

I am so paranoid about tyres that I have a ritual before starting any long highway drive.
  • Check all tyres visually for any cuts, nails or bulges
  • Check cold air pressure of tyres with my own gauge. Increase pressure depending on the load that I am going to carry
  • Check the inside sidewall of tyres by feeling them with my own hands. Tyres can bulge on the inside sidewall too and these are more dangerous as these are hidden from view.

Looking at these tyre burst incidents I wish the RFT technology that BMW swears by becomes mainstream.
Santoshbhat is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 12th July 2014, 18:21   #15756
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Looking at these tyre burst incidents I wish the RFT technology that BMW swears by becomes mainstream.
Cost factor my friend, those tyres will increase the car price by big margin. Who will buy such expensive cars and the tyres. In India, safety is the last priority when buying cars. Companies can't sustain for long by making cars for few enthusiasts countable on figures.
Old 12th July 2014, 18:59   #15757
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Cost factor my friend, those tyres will increase the car price by big margin. Who will buy such expensive cars and the tyres. In India, safety is the last priority when buying cars. Companies can't sustain for long by making cars for few enthusiasts countable on figures.
How expensive are RFT tyres compared to regular tubeless size to size? Once it becomes mainstream prices will drop even more. All it needs is for somebody to take the initiative and introduce 'burst' resistant tyres as a feature at a reasonable cost in mainstream cars and it will surely catch on. So many features that were seen only on high end premium cars a few years ago are today available on small B segment hatches, aren't they?
Old 13th July 2014, 10:29   #15758
Senior - BHPian

I don't even know what to say about this:

http://zeenews.india.com/news/delhi/...ed_947041.html
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2014, 11:51   #15759
BHPian

Exactly same thing happened right in front of my eyes at a Shell pump in Bangalore. Luckily the fuel supply was immediately cut off from the dispenser. The zen guy who was involved was fighting with shell guys got not placing a stop placard in front of the car. Usually they do it for all cars blocking its way until its ready to move.
IUNKWN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2014, 11:53   #15760
Senior - BHPian

Don't know if it has been posted earlier.
Got these ppics as a whatsapp forward. No further details available, but it indeed looks horrible.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-10321510_744736602244330_735525708582109109_o.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-10406528_744675675583756_4423428532401866120_n.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-10407544_744675618917095_7176450854673074596_n.jpg
dZired is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2014, 12:10   #15761
BHPian

^^ I suspect high speed crash. The attitude "it will never happen with me" is one of the root causes.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Old 13th July 2014, 12:42   #15762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
Got these ppics as a whatsapp forward. No further details available, but it indeed looks horrible.
Attachment 1260945

Attachment 1260946

Attachment 1260947
O M G. That is un survivable, unless a miracle of the last order happened. Any news of the occupants ?
Old 13th July 2014, 13:01   #15763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1260945

Attachment 1260946

Attachment 1260947
OMG!! its a horrible crash!! They didn't compromise on safety but this is fatal.
Old 13th July 2014, 13:20   #15764
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, this was posted couple of months back as well,
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3429372
Old 13th July 2014, 15:19   #15765
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1260945

Attachment 1260946

Attachment 1260947
No amount of airbags and high end stuff will be of help if people are determined to kill themselves. I had seen this picture some months back on facebook and it was mentioned that it was an outcome of some sort of drag race.
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks